Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by SaurianDruid
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies

Only monsters play without feats. Honestly, one of the worst things about 5e is how they gutted the feat system. It was great picking tons of feats in the previous two editions.

We get so few feats now. Even if BG3 lets us go to level 12 that is only three possible feats if you completely forgo ASIs.

Really cuts down on build variety.

Build variety is the worst thing about 5e.

Dez Offline
addict
addict
Could someone explain to a newbie how these feats actually work?

I googled it since I literally didn't know what they were, but the information that I found regarding 5e and feats doesn't make much sense to me who is new to DnD.

I mean, is it separate from the "tags" we get when choosing our character? If so, traditionally (since they don't appear in the EA?), when/how does one achieve these feats? Is it based on character leveling? Like reach level X and then you get to pick one appropriate feat for your current tags?

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
old hand
old hand
Feats are special abilities that are independent of your class, that you can get at certain levels. They're like perks from Fallout or talents from WoW. You don't automatically get them, though. At certain levels, such as 4, 8, etc. you get an ability score improvement. You get 2 points to add to your base attributes. But if you want to, you can GIVE UP that ability score improvement to take a feat instead.

Dez Offline
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Feats are special abilities that are independent of your class, that you can get at certain levels. They're like perks from Fallout or talents from WoW. You don't automatically get them, though. At certain levels, such as 4, 8, etc. you get an ability score improvement. You get 2 points to add to your base attributes. But if you want to, you can GIVE UP that ability score improvement to take a feat instead.

Ooooh, thank you very much! I think I get it now laugh

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by Dez

I googled it since I literally didn't know what they were, but the information that I found regarding 5e and feats doesn't make much sense to me who is new to DnD.

I mean, is it separate from the "tags" we get when choosing our character? If so, traditionally (since they don't appear in the EA?), when/how does one achieve these feats? Is it based on character leveling? Like reach level X and then you get to pick one appropriate feat for your current tags?

All classes get an ASI(Ability Score Improvement) every 4 levels except for LV20(comes at 19 instead), and fighter and rogue get extra ASI's at other levels.

An ASI let's you increase an attribute by 2 or two attributes by 1. You can forgo this boost to instead pick a feat from the feats list, which let's you specialize your character.

Feats are in the game, but in a very limited selection. If I remember correctly there are about 6, compared to the 40ish ones from the PHB.
When you hit level 4 you can choose from a few feats, but you will give up your ability to bump your main attribute from a +3 to a +4.

Personally, unless I think my character needs a specific feat to fit how I view them, I usually get main attribute to 20 ASAP so I can have a +5 to my attack rolls, damage rolls, and Spell Save DC. I'd advise playing around with them though and seeing what you think works best for you.

enthusiast
enthusiast
That's kind of boring. Does 5e favor raw stats over utility? I mean hitting hard is great I guess, but I'd figure a turn based game be more tactically engaging at its core. I'm all for adding as many feats as possible with everyone getting a level 1 feat. Stacking raw stats is not engaging at all and I hope Larian finds a middle ground between the two.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Allowing humans the option of taking a Feat (and two +1s to stats) was intended to balance the powers that other races often begin with. It is a nice alternative to having a blanket +1 to stats.

I'm a big fan of Feats because they allow you to further customise your character.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Aishaddai
That's kind of boring. Does 5e favor raw stats over utility? I mean hitting hard is great I guess, but I'd figure a turn based game be more tactically engaging at its core. I'm all for adding as many feats as possible with everyone getting a level 1 feat. Stacking raw stats is not engaging at all and I hope Larian finds a middle ground between the two.

Well, Variant Human from the PHB can pick a feat at level 1. They just need to implement it.

veteran
veteran
I wish 5e was a bit more generous with the feats. That would be a house rule I could get behind.

Say I'm playing a Wizard, I feel like I'm always better off using the first two increases for Intelligence to get it to 20 because Int affects so many things. So I won't be able to get a feat until 12, and probably then I'm still tempted to raise two odd ability scores. Raising ability scores in itself is cool character development too.

So while feats would be really cool to customize and specialize a character, it feels like you can't afford to pick them.

Some feat picks in addition to the ASI's would be nice. Let's say character levels 1, 3, 6, 9...

Last edited by 1varangian; 08/11/20 04:35 PM.
old hand
old hand
3.5 and 4e were so much better when it comes to character advancement and customization. You got feats, quite a few of them, AND your ability score improvements.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
The same could be said of 5e tabletop: we need more feats! Not necessarily the amount and types that 3e had, but I feel the core game could use some more flavorful feats. I think Tasha's is adding some.

FWIW, I like taking a feat and an ability score improvement at level up. I feel that choosing between one or the other kinda takes away from the excitement of leveling up. It's a small complaint about 5e in general: make it feel like you have more customization at level up after you've chosen your subclass.

Last edited by KingNothing69; 08/11/20 10:11 PM.
veteran
veteran
I'm all for more feats. But on the issue of 3.5 vs 5th. I think 5th does feats better. (I don't think there was anything good about 4th)

The problem with 3.5 is that there were some feats that were mechanically super powered but otherwise boring and that needed to be countered with other, equally, boring feats.

Trip attack for instance. Successful trip. Prone. Get up. Attack of opportunity + trip attack. Rinse and repeat. Soon a level 6 fighter can defeat a level 40 end boss that hasn't taken the combat stability feat. Boring. (Even their cages are boring)

veteran
veteran
It´s even more boring to not even have a trip attack because you have to choose between +2 STR and a trip attack, IMHO.

D&D5e is fun, but in character building is very limited in your level-up choices in comparison with previous editions or similar games like pathfinder or the dark eye. Not only about choosing between feats or ASIs, but you also cannot learn new skills, tools, languages, etc besides the ones that a few subclasses would give you unless your DM lets you train them in your spare time. You only improve your previous choices.

Many builds that have the same background and subclass at level 3 look exactly the same at level 15 as the other +100 other characters with the same background, race and subclass because it´s mostly auto-level up after you choose your subclass with some exceptions. For many warrior builds the only difference is your choice of weapon.

Last edited by _Vic_; 09/11/20 12:06 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Danielbda
Originally Posted by Aishaddai

Well, Variant Human from the PHB can pick a feat at level 1. They just need to implement it.

Yeah sorry. I meant everyone gets a level 1 feat as additional. So variant human, if they add it, would get two feats. Last I heard Larian were not quite decided on variant human.

L
addict
addict
L
There's a mod for variant human

V
V
If they go deeper and wider into the character-building I want a reskill button desperately. I am not going to slog through the game again, because I missed a feat important to my preferred playstyle.

Dez Offline
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Evandir
Originally Posted by Dez

All classes get an ASI(Ability Score Improvement) every 4 levels except for LV20(comes at 19 instead), and fighter and rogue get extra ASI's at other levels.

An ASI let's you increase an attribute by 2 or two attributes by 1. You can forgo this boost to instead pick a feat from the feats list, which let's you specialize your character.

Feats are in the game, but in a very limited selection. If I remember correctly there are about 6, compared to the 40ish ones from the PHB.
When you hit level 4 you can choose from a few feats, but you will give up your ability to bump your main attribute from a +3 to a +4.

Personally, unless I think my character needs a specific feat to fit how I view them, I usually get main attribute to 20 ASAP so I can have a +5 to my attack rolls, damage rolls, and Spell Save DC. I'd advise playing around with them though and seeing what you think works best for you.

Thank you very much for explaining it! laugh I honestly hadn't even noticed that I got the option to choose either stats or a feat at level 4 - I must be blind. >.<

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by 1varangian
I wish 5e was a bit more generous with the feats. That would be a house rule I could get behind.

Say I'm playing a Wizard, I feel like I'm always better off using the first two increases for Intelligence to get it to 20 because Int affects so many things. So I won't be able to get a feat until 12, and probably then I'm still tempted to raise two odd ability scores. Raising ability scores in itself is cool character development too.

So while feats would be really cool to customize and specialize a character, it feels like you can't afford to pick them.

Some feat picks in addition to the ASI's would be nice. Let's say character levels 1, 3, 6, 9...

+1

P
addict
addict
P
Everyone asking for more feats in 5e might be happy to know that it seems like Wizards is leaning that way as well, at least according to the new unearthed arcana that have been coming out, where everyone gets 1 free feat to go along with their background, and also new backgrounds that give very specific new feats.

5.5e anxiety increases. 2024 is both too close and too far away.

addict
addict
Well if they will let me roll two hours for my “perfect” stats, then I can chose a feat smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard