addict
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool
"the druid code"

Definitely a thing.
But in BG3 druids have uniforms.

addict
addict
I think we can all accept that druids in D&D are based on a 1:1 faithful transition of real world druidism. That Larian refuse to implement this is yet more evidence of their idiotic homebrew "rules"

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
I think we can all accept that druids in D&D are based on a 1:1 faithful transition of real world druidism. That Larian refuse to implement this is yet more evidence of their idiotic homebrew "rules"

I disagree. I think that the druid class in D&D is a mixture of various mythological influences. It certainly can't be a 1:1 representation of Iron Age druidism because we simply don't have the information available to make any such translation. Nor could it be a faithful representation of neo-druidism - I've yet to see a real-world practitioner turn into an animal or cast a spell.

Like all the classes in D&D (and most other FRPGs), the class is a combination of interpretations of legends, stories, cultural expectation, and game balance.

Sadurian #730347 08/11/20 04:35 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Sadurian

I disagree. I think that the druid class in D&D is a mixture of various mythological influences. It certainly can't be a 1:1 representation of Iron Age druidism because we simply don't have the information available to make any such translation. Nor could it be a faithful representation of neo-druidism - I've yet to see a real-world practitioner turn into an animal or cast a spell.

Like all the classes in D&D (and most other FRPGs), the class is a combination of interpretations of legends, stories, cultural expectation, and game balance.

hate to be the one to tell you but this post is a major violation of the druid code.

Last edited by alice_ashpool; 08/11/20 04:35 PM.
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
I wondered why my garden looks so badly tended.

Sadurian #730355 08/11/20 04:44 PM
addict
addict
I wondered why my garden looks so badly tended.

Expect a strongly worded letter about sorting your recycling properly

Dexai #730356 08/11/20 04:45 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dexai
Yeah but they said real religion, and neo-paganism ain't none. It's just a bunch of people appropriating cultures to make themselves feel special and unique (and in case of the people who sell it; make themselves a whole lot of money defrauding easy marks).

That's religion mate.

old hand
old hand
Nah there's a big difference between a living tradition and belief system and that.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Druidism is a real religion in the UK. It was so recognised about a decade ago.

addict
addict
I checked with my local Heirophant, who quoted me the 1E class description with an extra explanatory note as follows:

".. avoid slaying wild animals or even domestic ones except as necessary for self-preservation and sustenance, with the exception of bivalves which are so very delicious."

Sadurian #730390 08/11/20 05:20 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
D&D races/classes etc. are Tolkienisms, Tolkien recreated English folk lore though the Hobbit & LOTR. Elves, goblins, trolls, orks, wizards, the fay, Druids, dragons..... All of this is derived from pre-Christian/Norman English folklore. Druids were "pagans that lived in woodland", that's it. Their diet was "food". They didn't give a shit about modern day religious based dietary propagana lol.

Druidry is just as valid as a religion as any other, but is grounded in reality. Respecting the earth and it's bounty is what environmentalism is, modern Druidry. There is a 6000 year old stone calendar in Salisbury England created using this very premise. The Druids in D&D respect the balance, cycle of life and are granted powers based on what they essentially protect. Modern Druids are D&D Druids without magic powers. A Druidic diet is the bountry of the land and sea, if there are load of apples then eat apples, too many rabbits? Eat rabbits. Too many vegans? It's vegan diet time.

Soul-Scar #730393 08/11/20 05:27 PM
S
Banned
Banned
S
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
Druidry is just as valid as a religion as any other, but is grounded in reality.

LOL

addict
addict
Pretty fucked up that there is no quinoa in this game. I expect this is just an EA oversight though.

addict
addict
Quinoa "has broad, generally powdery, hairy, lobed leaves ..."

Oooh, I don't know, there's just something about a plant having broad, powdery, hairy, lobed leaves that makes me want to grab a scimitar rather than a fork.

Dexai #730531 08/11/20 08:26 PM
old hand
old hand
Yeah but they said real religion, and neo-paganism ain't none. It's just a bunch of people appropriating cultures to make themselves feel special and unique (and in case of the people who sell it; make themselves a whole lot of money defrauding easy marks).

Okay, slow your roll there, pal. You don't get to gatekeep what is or isn't "real" religion. Everyone is entitled to their own faith, and as long as it is sincerely-held, it doesn't matter if other people find it "legitimate" enough or not.

old hand
old hand

hate to be the one to tell you but this post is a major violation of the druid code.

FIVE DRUID DEMERITS. FURTHER VIOLATIONS WILL RESULT IN RITUAL FLOGGING WITH SHEAVES OF WHEAT.

old hand
old hand
Druidism is a real religion in the UK. It was so recognised about a decade ago.

And Star Wars is a recognised religion in Australia. That doesn't make it a real religion.

Originally Posted by Firesnakearies

Okay, slow your roll there, pal. You don't get to gatekeep what is or isn't "real" religion. Everyone is entitled to their own faith, and as long as it is sincerely-held, it doesn't matter if other people find it "legitimate" enough or not.

Oh I definitely do. You don't get to decide what I think is ridiculous and not.

And it should have been obvious from my post that I do not find it to be sincerely held.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
addict
addict

What an interesting thread! Here I was talking about clams, and now it has migrated into discussions about the legitimacy of religions and freedom of expression. I will try to keep with the flow.

The way I look at things, you might ask yourself, what is it that makes mankind different from the rest of the animals on Earth? Is it love, self-sacrifice, empathy? Anyone with a beloved dog would probably attest to those qualities in their pet. And intelligence is really just a matter of scale. But I can think of one thing that appears unique to humans, which is that we form religions, and we worship. I am aware of no other animal doing so.

Mark Twain made a famous quote that went something like the following: "Mankind is the only animal on earth capable of blushing. He's also the only one who has a reason to."

Originally Posted by Argyle

Mark Twain made a famous quote that went something like the following: "Mankind is the only animal on earth capable of blushing. He's also the only one who has a reason to."

Wise man. Might be why he is quoted so much. It is also why he is ignored so much as well.

People want to believe and hear what they want so to point out your original topic. Druids are people, the code doesn't matter, and eat what you want. *Salute*

Argyle #730654 09/11/20 12:20 AM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Argyle

The way I look at things, you might ask yourself, what is it that makes mankind different from the rest of the animals on Earth? Is it love, self-sacrifice, empathy?

its video games

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard