Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
So I have pretty much fine tuned my party, but since I'm unfamiliar with D&D 5e can someone tell me if BG3 follows these rules, in theory would an Eldritch Knight at some point have the ability to learn Feather Fall? Is so, what level?

Thanks.

S
addict
addict
S
According to D&D 5e they shouldn't get it. But BG3 isn't really D&D 5e so it might be possible in-game at present. I don't see why they should be denied access to such a spell though. An alternative nearing launch could be to multiclass or to grab the magic initiate feat for the spell.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Seraphael
According to D&D 5e they shouldn't get it. But BG3 isn't really D&D 5e so it might be possible in-game at present. I don't see why they should be denied access to such a spell though. An alternative nearing launch could be to multiclass or to grab the magic initiate feat for the spell.

This is incorrect. Eldritch Knights largely learn spells from the evocation and abjuration schools, but can learn a few spells from any school.

You know three 1st-level wizard spells of your choice, two of which you must choose from the abjuration and evocation spells on the wizard spell list.

The spells you learn at 8th, 14th, and 20th level can come from any school of magic.

Taking the magic initiate feat or an extra level of wizard will give you more low level spells and cantrips, though.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
You could also buy the appropriate scrolls to use when required. Not many suitable vendors at present, but I'm sure there will be more later.

T
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
I hate to rely on scrolls.

W
veteran
veteran
W
You get one spell from any school when you select EK as your subclass at level 3. Given the verticality and map design of BG3, either jump or feather fall are both prime choices. At level 4 you get a feat, and among the options is Magic Initiate. This will get you 2 extra cantrips and another 1st level spell. On table top this first level spell would be restricted to one use a day, but as it currently is implemented in BG3 you can use spell slots. Who knows if that will remain in the final release build.

T
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
I get jump at lvl 3 when I choose Eldritch Knight...But lvl 4 I save for stats...So was just hoping at 5 or higher I'd be able to get feather fall as I get more spells....of course when those levels are available post EA. But I might just have to rely on scrolls if that is not the case. I assume a EK can use a Jump scroll provided BG actually does limit Spell Casting classes to the use scrolls? 5e I'm talking?

W
veteran
veteran
W
EKs can use any wizard scrolls in 5E. It is also worth noting that fighters get feats more often than other classes. You could learn Jump at 3, Feather Fall at 4 (Magic Initiate), probably Misty Step at 8, and increase your STR to 20 at levels 6 and 8. This is how I will build my EKs. That leaves another feat / ability boost at 12 (assuming that they didn’t just raise the level cap from 10 to 11, which I can almost guarantee that they didn’t) and maybe one more if we can go as high as 14.

Edit: I also really hope that they include the more popular variant rules for human, allowing for a feat at level 1. That way we can just start off as a Magic Initiate from the get-go.

Last edited by Warlocke; 08/11/20 07:34 PM.
T
addict
addict
T
Feather Fall is a good option...I'd also add my hat in the ring for Jump and Longstrider.

veteran
veteran
There are good races for a fighter, like githyanki or Zariel tiefling that have "jump" already so you can pick other spells like feather fall or longstrider instead.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I am considering making an Eldritch Knight, but I'm not sure how things will turn out. Don't EK's need booming blade and green flame cantrips to excel? Also once you have multiple attacks are spells worth it? In any case I want to make a utility EK rather than raw damage, but I worry about combat performance.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Eh, I wouldn’t say that you need those spells. I’m more worried about the absence of Shield. EKs are great tanks, and that spell is one of my favorite parts about running an EK. Hopefully it will be included later.

old hand
old hand
Shield is a glaring omission so far. It's a really important spell for several character types.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard