Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
Could be. The first time I heard her call herself "child of Vlaakith", I took it completely literally and assumed she was a githyanki princess, since I knew nothing about the culture, but as I played the game more I came to the conclusion that it was just what githyanki call themselves. Maybe Larian is being super clever here.

Isn't Vlaakith a lich, though? Can they even... never mind, don't want to think about it.

Its been a while since I read that issue of Dungeon that had the Githyanki invasion but I believe to remain a 'god' she consumed the essence of any Githyanki that reached...level 20? something like that, whether that makes her a literal undead Lich I don't know.
I'll be honest the extraplanar invasion plots in D&D never really grabbed my interest.

Last edited by Sozz; 07/11/20 10:05 PM.
veteran
veteran
Could be. The first time I heard her call herself "child of Vlaakith", I took it completely literally and assumed she was a githyanki princess, since I knew nothing about the culture, but as I played the game more I came to the conclusion that it was just what githyanki call themselves. Maybe Larian is being super clever here.

Isn't Vlaakith a lich, though? Can they even... never mind, don't want to think about it.

Yeah the 'eggs' surprised me. I haven't really followed the gith story since 1st ed Fiend Folio but the gith *used* to an early version of humanity that was captured and warped by the mind flayers. The whole issue of gith reproduction is confusing.

N
apprentice
apprentice
N

The term giyanki means children of Gith and Gith was their original leader, later replaced by the first Vlaakith.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Tuco
I'm confused, you are attempting to "predict" something the game is already showing in no dubious terms.

Also, no, she's not deliberately trying to mislead you.
It's more a case of her being exceedingly naive about it and facing a wake up call.

This. She seems to sincerely believe we're gonna get cured and everything's gonna be lovely at the creche. Obviously when we get there, they are just gonna try to kill us, and then Lae'zel will be all disillusioned.

I wouldn't be surprised if Githzerai really do know how to cure it though, while Githyanki just kill the infected.

T
T
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
I'm confused, you are attempting to "predict" something the game is already showing in no dubious terms.

Also, no, she's not deliberately trying to mislead you.
It's more a case of her being exceedingly naive about it and facing a wake up call.

This. She seems to sincerely believe we're gonna get cured and everything's gonna be lovely at the creche. Obviously when we get there, they are just gonna try to kill us, and then Lae'zel will be all disillusioned.

I wouldn't be surprised if Githzerai really do know how to cure it though, while Githyanki just kill the infected.

I'm pretty sure the Githyanki do have a process for curing tadpoles. Lae'zel actually mentions the process by name at one point. I'm even more certain that it won't work for our 'special' tadpoles.

As for Lae'zel . . . She seems to me to be fairly inexperienced and absolutely terrified of the situation she is in. All her aggression and hostility is trying to cover for the insecurity and terror she is feeling. My guess is that after she discovers that the creche cannot cure her, she will turn to the player for help, open up and mellow out a lot. Or perhaps she is some secret Githyanki of high rank, what the heck do I know.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by trengilly

I'm pretty sure the Githyanki do have a process for curing tadpoles. Lae'zel actually mentions the process by name at one point.

I think a worrying sign should be that if you create a Githyanki character you'll get a dialogue option that goes more or less" I never heard of this cure" and she gets upset that you are doubting her.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Closer to the topic. Because the creche quest is the only one that leads to another map (I think), I've been wondering how it will either loop back into the grove-goblin quest or lead into the Moonrise Tower act, that they're giving this quest it's own map is interesting, do you think there might be a permanent Githyanki Hub we'll be going to, I'm also not sure if the route to the Creche is the same exit as for the overland route to the Moonrise Tower

Last edited by Sozz; 08/11/20 04:27 AM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by trengilly

I'm pretty sure the Githyanki do have a process for curing tadpoles. Lae'zel actually mentions the process by name at one point.

I think a worrying sign should be that if you create a Githyanki character you'll get a dialogue option that goes more or less" I never heard of this cure" and she gets upset that you are doubting her.

Yeah I'm pretty sure she's just being naively hopeful/full of shit, even if her purification method is real its not working on our super tadpoles.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sozz
Closer to the topic. Because the creche quest is the only one that leads to another map (I think), I've been wondering how it will either loop back into the grove-goblin quest or lead into the Moonrise Tower act, that they're giving this quest it's own map is interesting, do you think there might be a permanent Githyanki Hub we'll be going to, I'm also not sure if the route to the Creche is the same exit as for the overland route to the Moonrise Tower

I've been assuming that the overland route to Moonrise Tower is the exit near the middle outpost (between the village and the actual goblin camp)

hmmm. Why would our default Githyanki character have different knowledge than her? Either she's higher up in the rankings than us (princess) or she is being deceived by someone...

addict
addict
Originally Posted by mrfuji3

hmmm. Why would our default Githyanki character have different knowledge than her? Either she's higher up in the rankings than us (princess) or she is being deceived by someone...

The player PC seems older and more experienced than she is. We can talk about having been to Tu'narath, where as Lae'zel says she's never been to the Astral Plane before.

She also doesn't know how to say tiefling, something Githyanki have special dialogue on to explain to her. And the Gith PC can talk to the dragon-knight without offending him like Lae'zel does.

On both my Gith playthroughs I got the distinct feeling of being someone in his 30s hanging out with someone in their late teens to early twenties. Lae'zel acts like she's a fully matured adult but she's still very inexperienced in how adult life actually works.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by SaurianDruid

The player PC seems older and more experienced than she is. We can talk about having been to Tu'narath, where as Lae'zel says she's never been to the Astral Plane before.

She also doesn't know how to say tiefling, something Githyanki have special dialogue on to explain to her. And the Gith PC can talk to the dragon-knight without offending him like Lae'zel does.

On both my Gith playthroughs I got the distinct feeling of being someone in his 30s hanging out with someone in their late teens to early twenties. Lae'zel acts like she's a fully matured adult but she's still very inexperienced in how adult life actually works.

Iirc her written said she was the equivalent of early 20s

veteran
veteran

Huh, interesting. Thanks for the insight. I haven't played through as a Gith yet.

Her being ~20 definitely matches her character...still doesn't rule out her being somehow extra knowledgeable, but definitely makes it less likely.

V
V

That is why I still think she is some form of secret and isolated being. Like a castout, or foster child. And for me the explanation that the Gith in then intro either want to desperately save/get hold of her is still more likely then them just attacking the mindflayer ship for some other reason.
Still I think the assessment of her not being a fully educated, something between child and adult seems logical. That is why I think she is indeed the most well-written, authentic companion.

E
E
I'd easily believe Lae'zal bears her "regal name" with a full right, in a hierarchical, orderly nation;

But it's not simply birthright. For a wild guess, she is from a "privileged" egg batch, but for now, reading Mordenkainen Tome of Foes, where the latest githyanki lore is told, I'm glad to see Larian just follows the lore given by someone else without trying to twist it for any reason.

Lae'zel behaves as normal githyanki would, even her arrogance toward the knight's orders seem normal; he can order his subordinates, but not her until she is in his squadron (which she wouldn't be).

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
I always kinda wondered about her too... far as i remember, there is a point you can use the "illithid wisdom" to determine she is hiding something about her cure plan, but not what... i assumed it was that she was using the party to get herself a cure or that she was originally just trying to get the party to the gith before to be put down prior to realizing these tadpoles were "different"... wasn't really able to determine which was more likely though...

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ellenhard
... reading Mordenkainen Tome of Foes, where the latest githyanki lore is told, I'm glad to see Larian just follows the lore given by someone else without trying to twist it for any reason...

I personally feel that there's a lot of vanilla D&D lore that could use some twisting.

My biggest misgiving about BG:3s story was how much they've said it ties in to Descent into Avernus which was a bit underwhelming.

E
E
... reading Mordenkainen Tome of Foes, where the latest githyanki lore is told, I'm glad to see Larian just follows the lore given by someone else without trying to twist it for any reason...

I personally feel that there's a lot of vanilla D&D lore that could use some twisting.

My biggest misgiving about BG:3s story was how much they've said it ties in to Descent into Avernus which was a bit underwhelming.

I'd hate to derail this theme and thread, so here is my thoughts, concerning what you've said: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=729817#Post729817

Last edited by Ellenhard; 08/11/20 04:39 PM.
veteran
veteran

I'd hate to derail this theme and thread, so here is my thoughts, concerning what you've said: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=729817#Post729817

We know the Tieflings are from Elturel and Zevlor is a Hellrider, they went into Avernus during the Descent (if you fail a history check they'll tell you about it) actually I don't know that, they could have been outside the city when it's taken I don't remember and are now back (or are going to BG after Elturel was taken), presumably after the events of the module, we also know that recently Duke Ravenguard was kidnapped by Absolute Drow, a conspicuously familiar event. If these things are the beginnings of a total rewrite of Descent into Avernus, more power to them.

I've never run Descent but I'm an avid reader of thealexandrian blog so I'm pretty familiar with the goings on. I recommend his remix for anyone who likes well thought out worldbuilding and design philosophy.

Last edited by Sozz; 08/11/20 05:02 PM. Reason: shout out to Justin Alexander
H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Pretty sure she is special. The way she talks after we meet the Dragon knight, its seems obvious that she knows the queen personally and has ulterior motives. She was chosen for a very important mission, too. And she has tons of confidence, she doesn't talk like a trainee, she talks like an elite soldier who knows a lot. In that regard, I think she is a lot like Sebille, Edgy, dangerous, and sort of a chosen one for a task. Or a candidate to be chosen one, at the very least. Like the queen personal captain or something like that.

Last edited by Hachina; 08/11/20 07:52 PM.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
old hand
old hand
I would like it if Lae'zel was not actually special at all, but just delusional about her own importance.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard