Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Raise the party cap back up to 6 (BG2)

More Companions:

A priestess of Selune who argues with Shadowheart relentlessly (or they even try to murder each other)
Recruit the bounty hunter who is after Astarion and use Astarion as an informant to find and kill the master vampire.
Halston and Volo would be spectacular companion options.
Please offer more than one option for the primary classes (fighter, rogue, mage)

A majority of the time I spent playing BG2 over the years was playing through companion stories. I realize it is still early access but this is a major drawback in the current game.

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
No Volo as a companion, please. Volo is the worst.

Well, second worst, but I haven't seen Elminster in the game yet.

veteran
veteran
+1 to 6 party members

-1 Volo, sorry smile

I would like to have both a dyed in the wool paladin type along side a Jan Jansen sort. I loved the Keldorn / Jan interactions.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
+1 to 6 party members

-1 Volo, sorry smile

I would like to have both a dyed in the wool paladin type along side a Jan Jansen sort. I loved the Keldorn / Jan interactions.

Funnily enough, I'm nearing the end of a playthrough with Jan and Mazzy in the party. It's great. Jan is the only character I saw getting Mazzy out of her knightly poise. And then a couple of exchanges later their conversations ended on a heartwarming note.

My disappointment will be immeasurable if we get no companion that could fill Jan's role in the party.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
+1 to 6 party members

-1 Volo, sorry smile

Funnily enough, I'm nearing the end of a playthrough with Jan and Mazzy in the party. It's great. Jan is the only character I saw getting Mazzy out of her knightly poise. And then a couple of exchanges later their conversations ended on a heartwarming note.

My disappointment will be immeasurable if we get no companion that could fill Jan's role in the party.

I agree, but this is exactly why the party size of four hurts so very badly. In the original games you can have set up your party really well for party role balance with five of your party members, and you then got to use that sixth spot for an eclectic character that you otherwise may have not taken along with you. Now, with only four party slots, I won't be willing to use a very precious slot for a character that does not fully support role balance needs within my party.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
+1 to 6 party members

-1 Volo, sorry smile

I agree, but this is exactly why the party size of four hurts so very badly. In the original games you can have set up your party really well for party role balance with five of your party members, and you then got to use that sixth spot for an eclectic character that you otherwise may have not taken along with you. Now, with only four party slots, I won't be willing to use a very precious slot for a character that does not fully support role balance needs within my party.

Yeah. I mean, 5e lets you get away with all kinds of wonky class configurations, but with 4 slots and 8 companions? It doesn't even matter that much. Even if you ignore party balance entirely, the choice is still very poor. And then you have party banter/interactions. 4 and 8 is just... bad. Really bad.

Ideally (and yes, very unrealistically), I'd like there to be 6 slots, 12 origin companions (playable and with lots of story as per what Larian said) and 12 non-origin companions that range from BG1 to BG2 level of companion depth. (Why 12? One per class.)

Even if not the pie-in-the-sky above, "playable camp followers" would be great. No need for a whole separate plot for those companions - just some personality and banter, so the alternative isn't soulless mercenaries. Maybe a quest or two.

To be honest, with how the party system/companions work right now, I find myself considering custom party from the get-go (as they'll be "my" PCs and not mercenaries; yeah, a matter of perception). And "no companions, custom party" has been enough to scare me off from an RPG pretty much until now. (Planning to play Solasta and IWD soon-ish.)

J
stranger
stranger
J
Agree to this.

Link Copied to Clipboard