Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
addict
addict
Are people here voting against scourges and whips for real? It's Faerun setting! Scourges and whips always were signature weapons for Loviatar cultists and drow matrons here. Immersion breaking now is that Loviatar priest uses mace, while narrator says that he uses whip.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Zellin
Are people here voting against scourges and whips for real? It's Faerun setting! Scourges and whips always were signature weapons for Loviatar cultists and drow matrons here. Immersion breaking now is that Loviatar priest uses mace, while narrator says that he uses whip.

I am glad someone else is disappointed with that laugh

“There is only one thing we say to Death:
Not today.”
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
Originally Posted by Svalr
I like my weapons to look traditional and functional, and don't need them to resemble BDSM equipment.
I'm somehow in the minority with that it seems.

I am pretty sure the OP is trolling about the whips at least tho lol, one of the whips is basically an actual BDSM whip I think.

I really, really don't think OP is trolling. If you're bored and feeling brave, go check out their other sexually-repressed horror show posts. Everything always has a smarmy smear of underlying kink attached to it.

Seriously, wtf. Someone put the OP in horny jail. Permanently.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Vamathi

Well, I'm not really disappointed, I could bet it's a placeholder while they are working on a proper whip, cause that weapon needs some really complicated animation. But yes, the whip should be there... And a scourge for my drow to use one day.

journeyman
journeyman
[quote=Zellin]Are people here voting against scourges and whips for real? It's Faerun setting! Scourges and whips always were signature weapons for Loviatar cultists and drow matrons here. Immersion breaking now is that Loviatar priest uses mace, while narrator says that he uses whip.

'Muh immersion' was broken haha
I see how floppy and glitchy my tiefling's tail gets sometimes, so it might not always be visually great, but whips are fun weapon; and my evil drow cleric needs one!

“There is only one thing we say to Death:
Not today.”
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
[quote=Zellin]Are people here voting against scourges and whips for real? It's Faerun setting! Scourges and whips always were signature weapons for Loviatar cultists and drow matrons here. Immersion breaking now is that Loviatar priest uses mace, while narrator says that he uses whip.

'Muh immersion' was broken haha
I see how floppy and glitchy my tiefling's tail gets sometimes, so it might not always be visually great, but whips are fun weapon; and my evil drow cleric needs one!

great avatar, but don't show it to Tuco. I promised him not to talk about this interesting guy again.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Originally Posted by vometia
Anyway, regular swords are sexy enough; by which I mean RL ones without all the jewels and batwings and spikes. Here's a couple of mine.

[Linked Image]

What sexy daggers! I would like to see such a dagger in this scene. Although, the dagger that is now in the game is also not bad. Moderately sexy but very relevant.

Not quite daggers, more sort of... well, swords, really.

I would say here's me with another sword the same size proving swords can still be sexy even when modelled by an unsexy fat grumpy halfwit (and all in glorious Dragon Age Oranges style Smudge-O-Vision too) except it kinda looks ambiguous enough that it could be a dagger. It's a usual one-handed sword though, with a blade 30" or so long. I mean it's literally 3' away from me but I can't be arsed to go and measure it.

[Linked Image]

J'aime le fromage.
Estoc please for anyone with a noble tag.

E
E
Originally Posted by Ellenhard
I like my weapons to look traditional and functional, and don't need them to resemble BDSM equipment.

All equipment traditional and functional please, we are gaming - our characters are surviving (immersion factor). Most armor's functionality and colouring, are immersion-breaking for now at varying degrees. I would hope people thinking like us are not a minority, though.

How can a color be '' immersion breaking ''?
Are you sure that you're not mistaking immersion for your own idealized view of the medieval ages?

Immersion is also about being consistent within the setting imo, what would '' break my immersion '' in Baldur's Gate 3 is very different than in WoW.
But Baldur's Gate 3 is still not a simulator like Mordhau or Mount and Blade ( altho people in those games still run around naked ).
I mean '' traditional '' according to what?
It's a fictional setting with its own history, cultures and fashion.

It can be. Better believe me I'm not having an idealized view, before I'll go for the proof:-) Let's just say we may have different sources of fantasy inspiration.
It's not about "historical authenticity". It is about knowing how materials, armor parts may look (and work) in practice, without sacrificing "coolness" factors. It is quite possible if an artist decided (or had the time) to do the research on this.

E
E
Anyway, regular swords are sexy enough; by which I mean RL ones without all the jewels and batwings and spikes. Here's a couple of mine.

[Linked Image]

What sexy daggers! I would like to see such a dagger in this scene. Although, the dagger that is now in the game is also not bad. Moderately sexy but very relevant.

Not quite daggers, more sort of... well, swords, really.

I would say here's me with another sword the same size proving swords can still be sexy even when modelled by an unsexy fat grumpy halfwit (and all in glorious Dragon Age Oranges style Smudge-O-Vision too) except it kinda looks ambiguous enough that it could be a dagger. It's a usual one-handed sword though, with a blade 30" or so long. I mean it's literally 3' away from me but I can't be arsed to go and measure it.

[Linked Image]

[img]https://ibb.co/rKBDh4y[/img]
So, are we going to size up our swords then?..
All right, one has roughly 39 inches total length, another 55 inches (in 5e terms, it is not already a longsword, and not yet a greatsword, thus it does not exist!)

Last edited by Ellenhard; 09/11/20 04:46 PM.
[img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2...-4e98-81dc-158b12244f3b.JPG?v=1518648829[/img]

Give me a bastard sword and a longbow (composite if that even matters anymore in 5E) and decked out like Helm and I'm good to go. badsmile

Last edited by Ghost King; 09/11/20 05:42 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

Well, some should look like BDSM equipment, stuff from the Drow or maybe if we ended up in the Shadowfell or against an evil cult but yes, we need normal / heroic weapons too.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Well, some should look like BDSM equipment, stuff from the Drow or maybe if we ended up in the Shadowfell or against an evil cult but yes, we need normal / heroic weapons too.
Btw in regards to Scythes, they do get dismissed a lot but historical treatises of fighting with them actually do exist.
As did Scythes meant for war, they weren't common but they were an actual thing.
Billhooks are another example too of a tool developing into a weapon, and they were incredibly effective against armor.

So it's not quite as crazy as some may think.

Originally Posted by Sadurian
Is a bollock dagger actually 'sexy' to people? Funny or provocative, perhaps, but sexy?

Is a BDSM whip really a weapon? Would you honestly choose to carry that into battle intending to use it against an opponent?

Sometimes people's opinions and tastes on these things leave me thinking I'm a lot more vanilla than I give myself credit for.

It was mainly a joke, but I mean yeah kinda?
'' Sexy '' wasn't really a concept back then in the way that it is today, but masculinity was definitely seen as very attractive and desirable and was expressed in quite not so subtle ways all the time.
Men having toned shins was seen as incredibly attractive at one point and writers thirsted real hard about how '' sexy '' the shins of kings and nobles were.

I mean if '' boobplate '' is treated as super ultra hyper sexualized then I find it a bit silly to just totally dismiss the bollocks dagger.
It's sorta another discussion altogether tho and I think gets more into how scared we are on a societal level of acknowledging the male physique as sexual and how overly sensitive we are to the female physique.
It becomes a bit silly when if you have even the curve of a female chest on something and everyone acts like it's '' oversexualized '' but then people literally walked around with things deliberately shaped like a penis and somehow that's not sexual.

Guys are weird, just google armored codpiece to see all the armor where they added a "package" to the armor. They also thought tiny waist on guys was sexy so worked that into the armor and high heels were first worn my guys, for riding horse, stirrups.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
See Elizabethan armour for examples of when fashion influenced armour design. By that stage, of course, it was more about status and less about actual protection.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Sadurian
A few people have mentioned the scythe as a weapon of war. Don't confuse specially altered blades adapted for fighting for the actual agricultural tool. Whilst agricultural scythes were certainly used in extremis, scythes carried as more formal weapons were not simple agricultural tools but were specially adapted, usually by altering the angle of the blade to resemble a fauchard (the weapon that evolved from the scythe) or glaive. Swinging a scythe in arcs to try to cut the enemy off at the knee is not going to be an optimum tactic.

Is the scythe that Grim Reaper usually uses is a combat scythe, agricultural scythe, or a unique scythe?

Nope, think about fighting with that.

[Linked Image]

War Scythes have the blade straighten out so more a polearm.

Last edited by Merry Mayhem; 09/11/20 06:30 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Ellenhard
[img]https://ibb.co/rKBDh4y[/img]
So, are we going to size up our swords then?..
All right, one has roughly 39 inches total length, another 55 inches (in 5e terms, it is not already a longsword, and not yet a greatsword, thus it does not exist!)

Cute jade plants! We have one called Deirdre.

Nice swords too, especially the big bugger.

J'aime le fromage.
addict
addict

Well. Out of these I really only would object to "weapon" number two as that is mere jewelry and not a weapon at all. I guess it could be used to deter a creepy stalker at night by swinging it into his/her face but that's pretty much it. If that stalker carries a knife, you're at disadvantage. If the person also knows how to handle that knife, you're dead.

The kama with chain could work, IF they animate it correctly. I E, not having the character swing the kama around like a ball on a rope. I really hate what the 80's ninja movies did there. The weapon did exist and originates from a farmers tool(the kama) that got enhanced by a chain to ensnare and disarm an opponent that afterward could get slashed/stabbed by the kama. Swinging the kama around like a scythe would most probably only lead to self harm or the kama getting stuck into a tree.

Chakras exist and might not be the most efficient weapons in history but they filled a purpose. I guess you could also see the style in which they are used as being "cool".

Lastly the chain whip did also exist but were primarily used as a weapon of surprise, being easily concealed in your palm or long sleeve until you choose to attack, aiming for the eyes. If the first initial strike failed, it could later be used as a defensive tool parrying some blade attacks or disarm your opponent. A secondary weapon at best.

Except number two I don't really see a problem with these being in the game. They are a bit silly compared to a sword or a bow, but hey, I let it slip. It is funny though how modern media has turned these middle eastern/asian martial arts weapons to something "cool", "exotic" and "sexy" when historically they were nothing but the poor man's choice, simply the deadliest tool a farmer had access to defend themselves with.

The same goes for the whip. If you want it in game I don't mind. Lore wise it is the preferred "weapon" of choice for Drow Matrons. but remember, a Matron doesn't fight with her whip, she commands. In combat they pretty much always revert to magic attacks instead of hand to hand. And the reason why we so many demons and drow matrons with whips is because we are to associate them with dominatrixes. The whip is a symbol of power, of forced obedience. Not an efficient weapon.

One more thing. I have seen several comments both in here and in the topic about revealing armor, that argues that sexy weapons/armor should be in the game because it's a fantasy game, not a history simulation. True, it is a fantasy game. But it's not one person's fantasy. You can argue that what you want in the game is because it fits your fantasy, just as I can argue it doesn't fit mine.

I'm not a puritan, I understand the need, and the right, for anyone to be able to express themselves through their character. What I object is not the possibility of expression but the overhanging risk of objectification. We should ask our selves, why do I feel the need to be able to play a character in revealing clothing and bdsm equipment? Is it to express myself, or to objectify the character, ie have something sexy to stare at.

EDIT: Oh, can people please stop using "we" without explaining who "we" represent. Yes, it's a normal psychological aspect of humans to either think their opinion adhere to the majority, or to try to assure others that it does. But the behavior of speaking for others without their consent is just rude. So please use "I" or "me" unless you can specifically explain whom your speaking for. The only ones that are allowed to use "pluralis majestatis" are royalty or appointed spokesmen for unions, parties, organizations etc.

Last edited by PrivateRaccoon; 09/11/20 07:05 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
In FR and D&D 5e basic whips cost 4gp> and do 1d4 slash at 2.5m. You name the purpose and their is a whip for it, in LORE, I mean every purpose. I could list a whole bunch but I cannot be arsed. A scythe is just a two handed sickle soooo. It is upto Larian but I think they will be adding all this stuff later. Whipes can entangle, disarm, electrocute, poison, charm, bleed, burn, pull, petrify......

I love whips in D&D.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Wish they add some unique weapons for backgrounds since tags are no-no for them. Like harpoon for sailor or cane for noble and so on. Could be a small side-quest located in a places which match specific background.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard