Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Tuco
For all its shortcomings as a game and while keeping some problems (again, PAULDRONS) DA Inquisition was a massive improvement in that sense.

Anybody would think you have a thing about the Warhamster-style "it's all about the pauldrons!" etc. Or maybe that's me: I hate massive oversized pauldrons. They look daft. Probably my next most hated thing after swords with loads of spiky bits

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Abits
We officially disagree about everything
i noticed, but I'll try to not blame you for being wrong.

Same 😁

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by vometia

Anybody would think you have a thing about the Warhamster-style "it's all about the pauldrons!" etc. Or maybe that's me: I hate massive oversized pauldrons. They look daft. Probably my next most hated thing after swords with loads of spiky bits

Mh. I'm not sure you were paying particular attention to the discussion, because I've been saying that I hate giant pauldrons with a fierce passion since the first replies in the thread.

That was precisely my point.
They suck, and Dragon Age Origins had them in spades.

Last edited by Tuco; 09/11/20 03:03 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
addict
addict
I like the picture Tuco offered up as a good alternative and I equally dislike the datamined pink heavy armour.

However, I am not against a fantasy game such as D&D being a little more well, fancyful, that said... why is the armour and clothing of all the companions I meet who have also survived the crash got this pristine, clean, top-gear look? No not everything has to look like Game of Thrones, or dirty Viggo "Aragorn" Mortensen, but currently the look is a little shiny plastic-y. A few more matte colours/shades wouldn't go amiss

Last edited by Riandor; 09/11/20 03:21 PM. Reason: Spelling
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
and the gnome in the party looked at me like I was god smile
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
... something about how great giant pauldrons are ...

So it's your fault! :p

J'aime le fromage.
E
E
Can't we get something like this instead of an unusable mish-mash I see in-game?

[Linked Image]

veteran
veteran
Boring

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Riandor
I like the picture Tuco offered up as a good alternative and I equally dislike the datamined pink heavy armour.

However, I am not against a fantasy game such as D&D being a little more well, fancyful

Fanciful is fine. "Fanciful and cool" is precisely what most of us would prefer, I guess.

The problem is how you achieve that.

This is an(other) example of an armor that I would describe as fanciful: its design is filled with small decorations, minute details, little things that make it feel "used", "lived in". Something someone is actually wearing.

[Linked Image]

There's leather, clothing, utilities hanging from belts, etc.

Conversely you have a leather armor in Dragon Age Origin and it seems like and it looks like someone stitched together a leather carpet around your character with a stapler.
Or crap like this one:
https://dragonage.fandom.com/wiki/Dwarven_Medium_armor_set?file=Dwarven_Medium_armor_set.png

Who the hell did ever wear anything like this?
It looks like someone tried to bum-salvage an improvised Ironman suit out of a dismissed gas oven.

Last edited by Tuco; 09/11/20 05:03 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Even pushing things a bit too far in terms of fancifulness, this is how I'd imagine an "end game" high level rogue could look like:

[Linked Image]

See? It's... probably pushing a bit in terms of overabundance of details, decorations, etc. but you can still clearly identify it as "probably a wealthy and successful adventurer in a light armor".

Compare and contrast with stuff in World of Warcraft and a lot of other games, where you get the Space Power Ranger or, on the other hand of the spectrum, games like DAO where the leather armor looks like some corrective plaster bust in a brown variant.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
The armour in Excalibur was laughable (and anachronistic, but hey...) and I'm sure that the design team worked for the Warhamster art and design department.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by vometia; 09/11/20 06:29 PM. Reason: tags
old hand
old hand
I would like to add the sheep wool chainmail of Monty Pythons holy Trail for the consideration of this discussion

Optimistically Apocalyptic
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dexai
I would like to add the sheep wool chainmail of Monty Pythons holy Trail for the consideration of this discussion

You seem a man of fine taste.
Unlike Abits.

Last edited by Tuco; 09/11/20 05:32 PM.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I have ran my 2H fighter with this set transmutes but painted black/red/white, cool one /neverwinter mmo

[Linked Image]

I vote for more World Of Warcraft mega pauldrons!

[Linked Image]

But jokes aside. While I don't like over the top mega pauldron with golden lions, at the same time I dont want the armor to look too realistic and plain either. There has to be some fantasy element to it.

Last edited by Peranor; 09/11/20 06:26 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Peranor
I vote for more World Of Warcraft mega pauldrons!

[snippety]

But jokes aside [...]

I wasn't even 100% sure that was satire. It wouldn't be in the universe of Warhamster and its Serious Pauldrons.

J'aime le fromage.
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
I stopped buying Warhamster miniatures a while back because they had the same issue. This was, of course, the firm that gave up Chaos Spikey Bitz on everyone.

Mind you, I grew up buying the old Citadel range when it was sculpted by the Perry twins and a few other notables. Before the Madness started.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Sadurian
The armour in Excalibur was laughable (and anachronistic, but hey...) and I'm sure that the design team worked for the Warhamster art and design department.

First, Excalibur was released in 1980 - the days of Pac Man and Pong and those who worked on it were almost certainly well retired from design by the time Blizzard was doing anything. Second, those spaulders are the result of form following function and consideration of historical design. They allow range of movement for the shoulders so that an individual fighting while mounted can attack and defend nearly 240 degrees, which in the latter part of the 15th century when heavy cavalry operated with complete autonomy on the battlefield was a real concern. I am not making the case artistic license has not been taken since and that the form has not been exaggerated in most cinema and video games, Excalibur was trying to make it look aggressive because in 1980 fantasy was a pretty goofy genre and they wanted to be taken seriously. It worked for the time and since holds up fairly well, your opinion to the contrary.. Like or dislike it that is all well and fine but saying it didn't exist is what is truly laughable.

[Linked Image]

For further examples, and to see where I stole the above photo: here

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by DistantStranger
Originally Posted by Sadurian

First, Excalibur was released in 1980 - the days of Pac Man and Pong and those who worked on it were almost certainly well retired from design by the time Blizzard was doing anything. Second, those spaulders are the result of form following function and consideration of historical design. They allow range of movement for the shoulders so that an individual fighting while mounted can attack and defend nearly 240 degrees, which in the latter part of the 15th century when heavy cavalry operated with complete autonomy on the battlefield was a real concern. I am not making the case artistic license has not been taken since and that the form has not been exaggerated in most cinema and video games, Excalibur was trying to make it look aggressive because in 1980 fantasy was a pretty goofy genre and they wanted to be taken seriously. It worked for the time and since holds up fairly well, your opinion to the contrary.. Like or dislike it that is all well and fine but saying it didn't exist is what is truly laughable.

Warhamster refers to the Games Workshop game, "Warhammer" or "Warhammer Fantasy Battle", released in 1982. It is not WoW.

Yes, I'm aware of what armour design is for and how it evolves, but 'Excalibur' is anachronistic because the Arthurian Legends are supposed to have been about Arthur and his knights fighting the invading Saxons. Most commentators place the legends firmly in the post-Roman Britain period, where mail was the ultimate in armour protection. Later interpretations (especially Hollywood) generally go for High Medieval, C14th, but the Excalibur film decided to go for a look that was late C15th and using almost exclusively the Italian style of armour - big slabs similar to siege armour rather than decorative field armour as seen in the Germanic style.

All that aside, the armour depicted was just ... daft. Bits hanging off here and there, and pointless spikes, knobs and studs. The fight scenes are hilarious. The armour was based on museum pieces, certainly, but then dressed up by a Hollywood designer who thought that the armour didn't look "real" enough.

veteran
veteran
Fun fact: while there's this vague understanding that "they were mostly for nobles" a lot of people seem to have absolutely no clue of how insanely expensive a top quality full plate actually used to be.

Having a full armor made by a top Italian artisan could cost the equivalent of a modern top class luxury car. I remember reading estimations rounding it close to 400,000€ if the cost was adjusted for today's inflation.

Last edited by Tuco; 09/11/20 07:39 PM.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard