Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#731206 09/11/20 07:47 PM
K
Kolvaer Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
K
To me, it seems like our companions only will progress in a friendship or "something more" with us if we only make decisions that THEY approve of.

It's always a one way relationship. It's like walking on eggshells being in an adventuring party with these folks as it is currently, making it hard to role play in this RPG.

I hope there's at least more dialogue options in the future that lead to us changing their minds or at least seeing our decisions from a different point of view, rather than us making one or two decisions that they don't like, and then they decide that they want nothing to with us.

The relationships are very Joker and Harley right now.

Thoughts?

veteran
veteran
Sounds like an RPG video game alright. It's the same old story ever since bg2. There have been some innovations in video game romances here and there but it basically boils down to do what they like and they might shag you. I generally judge a romance in video games by how much room to manoeuvre I get, but usually I don't get much. Anyway it's too early to tell one way or the other

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
N
old hand
old hand
N
I made an interesting test recently with Shadowheart. So when she's on a high appreciation level with you and you have your party with tieflings, there is the line getting to having a private moment with her and the drunken kiss afterwards.

As it happens, on my third playthrough, as a solo wizard, I have a bug which doesn't allow me to recruit her. But still, each time I talk to her at camp, I can have the approval system going higher. So as a test purpose, I decided to bring her to the highest level of approval, which is 'Exceptional' and talk to her at the party, exactly the same way I did in my previous playthrough. But here, there is no way to get to the intimate moment. So I don't know what to make of their relationship mechanics. Seems weird to say the least.

Last edited by Nyanko; 09/11/20 07:56 PM.
veteran
veteran
I think the way the mechanics work is not as straightforward as one might think. I can't really prove it without further study, but I think the amount of interactions you have with them, as well as the order in which you talk to them if more than one of them has an exclamation mark, affect how they treat you

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
enthusiast
enthusiast
I think Lez may prove more dynamic in this regard. I have a feeling she can be turned later. It is fairly obvious she is bound for disappointment and disillusionment in her personal quest. I have had a few exchanges where she has expressly disagreed with my decision but approved of my handling of situations. Despite the fact I cannot bring myself to play the villain in a video game (I am terribly in love with tragic heroes whose inherent flaws ultimately lead them to destruction), she and Shadowheart along with Wyll are whom I will be taking into Act 2 with me. I am sucker for redemption stories

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Abits
I think the way the mechanics work is not as straightforward as one might think. I can't really prove it without further study, but I think the amount of interactions you have with them, as well as the order in which you talk to them if more than one of them has an exclamation mark, affect how they treat you

I would say they become friendlier when you do what they ask for first - like going grove over creche for SH or Gale. Priorities.

S
addict
addict
S
I agree that it feels a bit like walking on eggshells, but luckily you need a lot more than one or two disapprovals for them to hate you.

addict
addict
It is only walking on eggshells because the game informs us of every little decision they don't like when we make it. In real life people are absolutely forming their opinion about you by observing how you behave and with who. They just don't announce it to the world when you trip up the disabled kid in the cafeteria for a quick laugh.

Astarion approves.

If they formed their opinions silently and we didn't know exactly what triggered their approval or disapproval I think it'd feel more natural. Then we can have a more immersive system where we have to ask them how they feel about us and the group and they'd give us a general idea of why they feel the way they do. Like Astarion telling us we're too much of a stick in the mud or Shadowheart saying we're a cruel bastard.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by SaurianDruid
It is only walking on eggshells because the game informs us of every little decision they don't like when we make it. In real life people are absolutely forming their opinion about you by observing how you behave and with who. They just don't announce it to the world when you trip up the disabled kid in the cafeteria for a quick laugh.

Astarion approves.

If they formed their opinions silently and we didn't know exactly what triggered their approval or disapproval I think it'd feel more natural. Then we can have a more immersive system where we have to ask them how they feel about us and the group and they'd give us a general idea of why they feel the way they do. Like Astarion telling us we're too much of a stick in the mud or Shadowheart saying we're a cruel bastard.

It could probably cost more, as characters are fully voiced, unless companion will repeat the same line (matched to their level of approval). But yeah, most of things could be done via talking. Companions give us enough hints every cutscene, to guess what type of actions they like or dislike.

enthusiast
enthusiast
It makes your companions one dimentional. What should happen if they are bothered by a choice is ask,

Q) "why did you do/say that"

A, 1) "I was lying to gain trust"
A, 2) "I have feelings and stuff and my feelings don't care about your facts"
A, 3) "It's a small angry guy called non-ya-business"
A, 4) "I robbed his wallet"

Because you always instantly know the motive behind someones actions right? Not so much.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kolvaer
making it hard to role play in this RPG.

On the contrary ... its quite easy to role play ... and you also get adequate reactions ...
Much better than in Dragon Age ... where you could practicaly murder whole village (just example), but Alistair will forgive you, if you give him 4 cakes afterwards. :-/

Ofc. you will not be allways loved by everyone, but that is just part of role. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
enthusiast
enthusiast
The only companion progression in any RPG which impressed me even a little bit was Tharaêl in Enderal.
The results of how you handle this quest early on in his character arc determines whether he lives or dies in this quest and the option to prevent him from committing suicide in the former quest is the option he strongly disapproves of. If you argue that the character in the earlier quest could be redeemed, which he disapproves of, then he feels that maybe he can be too, otherwise, you are out of luck.

In my opinion it is an example of character development in an RPG done well. It is still very limited, compared to what would in my opinion be the gold standard for character development (2 way approval system, which no RPGs implement because it would explode dialogue almost exponentially), but it is still a lot better than any comparisons I can think of. Tharaêl also illustrates that you can explore character development very well without at all touching on romance, which is something I feel many RPGs fail at.

Last edited by Sharp; 09/11/20 10:18 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Kolvaer
making it hard to role play in this RPG.

On the contrary ... its quite easy to role play ... and you also get adequate reactions ...
Much better than in Dragon Age ... where you could practicaly murder whole village (just example), but Alistair will forgive you, if you give him 4 cakes afterwards. :-/

Ofc. you will not be allways loved by everyone, but that is just part of role. laugh

It is perfectly reasonable to forgive a person if they bring you no less than four cakes. With extra frosting, that's a given.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Leliana heard an animal (Astarion, I am looking at you).

From EA perspective companions are fixated on getting into PC pants. But I hope it won't be another GoT drama at the end of this road.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
let me just hire a companion which is possible and Larian also did this in DoS. No emotional nonsense to deal with just build-a-companion and I’m good to go.

Last edited by cgexile; 09/11/20 11:14 PM.
addict
addict
Keep in mind, Larian has confirmed that these are only the neutral and evil companions, so if you are playing a mostly good character...

addict
addict
Lae'zel propositioned me when, as far as I knew, I had done nothing to express any interest or attempt to gain her approval. Doesn't seem all that one-way to me.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
KOTOR 2 was great in that regard.

If I remember correctly, in that game the companions' alignments progressed to match the player's.

Last edited by Lumign; 10/11/20 01:44 AM.
W
journeyman
journeyman
W
I want to be able to grow them pumpkins. If Stardew Valley has taught me anything it's that the secret to a long term relationship is to give girls expensive pumpkins.

C
stranger
stranger
C
I fail to see how it's a one-way relationship because they approve or not what you're doing. Aren't you supposed to do the same? I was kinda liking Wyll in my first playthrough, he seemed a little dumb but funny and good hearted. Then i took him with me for the gobelin quests and let him do what he wanted. Okay..; That's how far you'd go to achieve your goal? And you burst into anger whenever it's not going your way? Maybe i'll just let you deal with your problems...

So far i'm not able to predict each time if one choice will be approved or disapproved, but i also know i don't have to be 'perfect' in their eyes for them to like me, or not. That leave room for my own bad habits but theirs too. Like when Wyll disapprove you don't healp Auntie Ethel against the two brothers. Dude, i know you're thick, but they call her hag, and she really fit the description.

In my experience you really have to commit to what they despise for them to not want to have anything to do with you. Except Lae'zel, but they despise you fromo the start anyway so... :p Some just want the see the world bow before them i guess^^

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard