Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by VagabondJoeBags

In the end, I collect a ton of stuff but never need it. I am really surprised how little spells are needed. Perhaps I am not being adventurous enough and not experimenting but the game's challenge should lead me into thinking more.

I know the game is not done and dialing the proper challenge level is to be revised but what do you think? Is it too easy and you don't need much of the inventory and magic offered?

Btw, I am playing a warlock.

The Problem is that you are comparing this to much to Divinity OS 2. In that game you absolutly needed magic and just could not solve some puzzles that required magic. (I Remember looking for lightning spellscrolls because i needed to charge some catalyst)

In DnD however it is not guaranteed that you will have Spell casting, yet alone "Arcane" Spellcasting on your team. So all puzzles need to be solvable without them. Same goes for Baldurs Gate 3. If you think about all classes you can get at the end.

Fighter
Rouge
Monk
Barbarian
Ranger
Paladin
Cleric
(Bloodhunter ?)

I could make up a party of up to seven + people, each one from a Different Class, and none of them would be able to produce Fire with a cantrip. (Rangers and Paladins dont learn Cantrips, Clerics dont get firebolt, and Fighter/Rouge only if they take specific Subclasses, that the Player might not like)

So jeah, i am actually happy with the current idea about riddles, since i dont want to be forced again to build a full on magic caster just to solve game elements.

V
V
As said in my own thread, I find the game too hard, because I do not know D&D mechanics, do not know DOS mechanics and the game does not want to tell me a whole lot.
Technically I do not find the game too hard, I find the mechanics frustrating that prevent me from doing better without extensive knowledge. The UI is subpar, the movement is awful and the game never told me some tricks needed to prevail. Add ot that, that you are mostly outnumbered, outhealthed and outinitiatived you are forced to reload a lot, if you are only average and reloading takes way too long and always has the scent of being exploitive.

The amount of resoures and their effectiveness also relies heavily on the status of your resting. So game experience is very inconsistent. Constant resting I do not find abusive though, it just steals my time.

veteran
veteran
May we summarize saying something like : if you stick to D&D rules not cheesing with the homebrew rules, the game is very hard... But if you use the custom rules the game is very easy ?

(i.e Jump as bonus action each turn to move a lot and/or avoid AOO, powerfull bonus action, king of the hill, dipping, eating, easy rest, easy backstab,...)

Real question, that's my thoughts.
On my first playthrough when I just knowed a little bit about how D&D works, it was very hard. Now that I know Larian's custom mechanics it's not really a challenge anymore.

May we summarize saying that Larian's homebrew rules completely altered the difficulty ?
(In both sides... More difficult D&D game but easy Larian game... The middle could be according to me the D&D RAW)

Last edited by Maximuuus; 10/11/20 08:11 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
May we summarize saying something like : if you stick to D&D rules not cheesing with the homebrew rules, the game is very hard... But if you use the custom rules the game is very easy ?

(i.e Jump as bonus action each turn to move a lot and/or avoid AOO, powerfull bonus action, king of the hill, dipping, eating, easy rest, easy backstab,...)

On my first playthrough when I just knowed a little bit about how D&D works, it was very hard. Now that I know Larian's custom mechanics it's not really a challenge anymore.

May we summarize saying that Larian's homebrew rules completely altered the difficulty ?
(In both sides... More difficult D&D game but easy Larian game... The middle could be according to me the D&D RAW)

Or you can just make your enemies stronger smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

Or you can just make your enemies stronger smile

So it's even harder for newcomers... Great suggestion...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 10/11/20 09:05 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
S
veteran
veteran
S
well there definitly ought to be a tacticians mode.
tho definitly strange to hear from so many people. A lot of people considered Original sin 2 very hard. Hence a lot of angry steam reviews.

Im not exactly surprised tho, considering they are going for a more mass appeal product here. And the people who are getting into the DnD hype now are not exactly hardcore.

C
CMF Offline
C
Proper utilization of character builds, min/maxing dmg out and reducing dmg in, and then after that, some proper positioning made the game a whole lot easier.

I too do not rely on extensive use of ground effects, high ground, pushes, or various cheese. I do how ever flank constantly (normally by just walking to the side, but yes, sometimes by jumping behind if movement will cause an attack of opportunity.

Every encounter in the game was doable without any deaths (downed allies yes, but not full deaths) as I didn't even know Gale had a death story line until my second play through when I was jumping him off things to see what connected to the underdark.

This is by mostly sticking to the D&D mechanics and not the "Larian" mechanics, as many complain. Lighting was a huge issue for me at first, which made the spider tunnels and underdark drastically harder for me, but now I get it.

So basically, this game is easy, if you pay attention to the information provided to you. Hit chance, debuffs, and proper threat management go a long way, and that isn't just specific to Larian rules. I find some of these complaints of too difficult people just not understanding the mechanics.

I do however research most games I play and look at websites like fextralife or build my own spreadsheets to calculate dmg or min/max stat usage....so I guess not a casual gamer either....

I guess what I am trying to say is, does being informed and making correct decisions mean a game is too easy? Or does that simply mean you learned the right way to do things and being rewarded for playing the game well?

Last edited by CMF; 10/11/20 09:20 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
You say that, but just yesterday some person left a frothing feedback in discord about how he/she refunded the game because it was unfairly hard.

Different people, mileage may vary.

Other than that - what we play now is "Normal" - a stock game mode for all, would not expect some exceptional difficulty out of it, why I'd imagine they would tune it further down because some specific fights are shockers first time you every encounter them, like these infamous minotaurs. Sure 2nd playthrough I literally destroyed them without even taking any hits, but first time ever I encountered them? They did hand me my ass.

In the end there will be both Story and Tactician difficulty (or whatever they call it in BG3).

R
old hand
old hand
R
A lot of problems with the fight could be solved by introducing the "death" mechanic with DA: O (the game is already quite heavily inspired by DA: O).
In DA:O, a character who "died" in a fight automatically stood up after the fight ended. The only punishment for death was a wound that lowered the character's stats (removed after resting).
I think it would make it impossible to exploit the game mechanics by constantly raising a character with 1 hp. It would certainly be easier to balance some fights as well.
I would leave the option to raise a character in combat with scrolls.

Last edited by Rhobar121; 10/11/20 09:31 AM.
veteran
veteran
I used jump all the time, and push occasionally, and I rest often. But I don't think these things are the same as barrelmancy. unlike the later, the former doesn't require a special work from me (like searching around and picking up any barrel I can find) to be viable way of dealing with fights. these things are an integral part of the game, and are meant to be used a lot.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
Game difficulty,
level ground - normal
Lower ground - ultra hard
Higher ground - I HAVE THE POWER!!!!! HE-MAN!

Conclusion? DOS.

Conclusion? Real life, pretty much.

Yeah because firing an arrow while stood on a 6 inch step turns the arrow into a stinger missile. REAL LIFE POWERRRRR? In the captain mavel universe maybe. You do realise 9.81 ms^2 doesn't translate into accuracy+damage+awesome+progressive bonus over a 0.09s travel time over 30 feet right? Sorry math is racist I forgot.

Originally Posted by Tzelanit

Could have said "High Ground- Obi-Wan" and achieved comedy gold, but you had to go the tired old troll route.

I don't watch trek wars so I only the know the reference to take the piss out of it.

Another Joe with a portrait of a BG3 female character asking to the rules feel like real life. That’s the real life I’m talking about!

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Sludge Khalid
Another Joe with a portrait of a BG3 female character asking to the rules feel like real life. That’s the real life I’m talking about!

Be polite, please. I'm seeing too many personal comments like this.

J'aime le fromage.
G
addict
addict
G
The encounters are not difficult at all and the AI makes sooooooo many poor decisions and pointless turns that it's ridiculous.

It's EA, so I'm not criticizing but I've had:

1. The AI come all the way down a ladder from high ground to cast Cure Wounds on another enemy.
2. The AI waste turns by walking around before finally doing nothing.
3. The AI cast a spell or shoot at me and the attack hits the ground.
4. The AI willingly trigger AoO and die

And so much more. I hope that on harder difficulty the AI is much harder along with the enemies. Buffing the enemies alone doesn't mean anything when Larian has the AI for these enemies as very stupid.

apprentice
apprentice
I don't know what exactly difficulty is for EA.
My 1 playthrough was hard smirk I struggle a lot - but on my second one I was backstabbing, hiding, king of the hill - and it was pretty easy.
Some fights were hard - but it's strictly related to lvl4 cap.

Its obvious that some mechanics will change - currently its way to easy to cheese fight by using some mechanics (like hiding).
There also will be some kind of hard /tactician difficulty.

Its to early to tell if BG3 is to easy - basically we need to wait how Larian approaches current OP mechanics - like shove.

veteran
veteran
Too Easy???? Never!
I'ts much too hard for a RPG! Maybe to easy if you are a battle lover. But much to hard if you are a story lover. I can't go on because I am out of potions and food. There is no way to get more of them.

Story mode - very easy (like in DOS2 with some helping mods)
easy mode - easy fights for RPG fans without love the fighings
than the:
level ground - normal (like now)
Lower ground - ultra hard (for the puzzle fighers)
Higher ground - I HAVE THE POWER!!!!! HE-MAN! (I never understand why you play RPGs not Fighting games... but I dont need to understand that)

And those actually AI??? Can attack with much more power and can heal offen! Thats not fair against my poor party!

Last edited by Alix; 10/11/20 10:22 AM.

Alixdragon -==(UDIC)==-
Der einzige Mensch, der Dir im Weg steht, bist Du.
CMF #731596 10/11/20 10:48 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by CMF
Proper utilization of character builds, min/maxing dmg out and reducing dmg in, and then after that, some proper positioning made the game a whole lot easier.

I too do not rely on extensive use of ground effects, high ground, pushes, or various cheese. I do how ever flank constantly (normally by just walking to the side, but yes, sometimes by jumping behind if movement will cause an attack of opportunity.

Every encounter in the game was doable without any deaths (downed allies yes, but not full deaths) as I didn't even know Gale had a death story line until my second play through when I was jumping him off things to see what connected to the underdark.

This is by mostly sticking to the D&D mechanics and not the "Larian" mechanics, as many complain. Lighting was a huge issue for me at first, which made the spider tunnels and underdark drastically harder for me, but now I get it.

So basically, this game is easy, if you pay attention to the information provided to you. Hit chance, debuffs, and proper threat management go a long way, and that isn't just specific to Larian rules. I find some of these complaints of too difficult people just not understanding the mechanics.

I do however research most games I play and look at websites like fextralife or build my own spreadsheets to calculate dmg or min/max stat usage....so I guess not a casual gamer either....

I guess what I am trying to say is, does being informed and making correct decisions mean a game is too easy? Or does that simply mean you learned the right way to do things and being rewarded for playing the game well?

Someone that know the rules better than I can correct me if I'm wrong but according to me in D&D :

- Flanking in D&D is only possible if 2 allies are engaged with the same opponent and if they are both on opposite side of him. This rules apply to allies but also to ennemies.
- "Facing" is another rule that grants an advantage if you're back your ennemy but it's a little bit more complex and everyone is able to choose which side he faces after each movement... it still doesn't mean you can always disengage or hide as a bonus action or jump to easy avoid AOO.

If I'm not wrong, flanking or "backstab" advantage in D&D only apply to melee attack, not sure how it work in BG3.

Maybe this is not related to Larian's mechanic, but it's still related to their intergration of the rules.

Not sure what "proper positionning" mean since there is no cover mechanic and the only "good" position is to be higher, what you didn't "too" rely on.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 10/11/20 10:58 AM.

addict
addict
Metagaming trumps everything. Here's my lvl 1 solo priestess gut 'melee' kill w/out wyvern poison - potion of fire breath is op

[Linked Image]

journeyman
journeyman
As someone who loves video games but is also hopelessly bad at most video games, I'm one of the people who's been struggling with the combat so far.
I still manage to scrape by (most of the time) but I really can't wait until the difficulty options are brought in. I usually start out the game with a low difficulty setting, to feel out the combat and familiarize myself, and then raise it once I feel secure in my tactical abilities.
Right now in BG3 I just reload and try a different fight somewhere else when I fail an encounter. Can't really keep doing that forever, though.

Last edited by zeel; 10/11/20 10:56 AM.
addict
addict
As in all Larian games...Too many potions, too many scrolls, too much money and too much food makes the game...non-consequential. Doesn't matter anymore if enemies have 10x the HP, I have 20x the items to use freely, and all my abilities are back right after combat. One reason I quit DOS2 half way through. Having so much junk items made even the epic items feel like a cheap hamburger.

Why not just have a <give me some scrolls, potions and a magic item> button in the UI, its basically feels the same. The worst is, MAGIC becomes mundane...and not useful.

A quick fix for all this item overload, <looks yet again at BG2...>, yes bring back limited item slots and limited item stacking for every character or drastically increase weight limit. "Hmm should I bring that deathbringer axe of Mortis or the lance of ultimaxus bloodthrust??? Cant have it all with all the armors Im carrying....maybe drop off all these potions/food for now...BUT my mage only has a few restoration spells memorized ...hmmmmm....maybe if I use the invisibility scroll on the barbarian then..."etc...
so it becomes quite fun trying to figure out on how to deal with situations having these limited resources.

POE2 Deadfire <kind of> fixed that with the added difficulty challenges (hp doesn't regenerate, food spoils after some time, rest only 1 a day, abilities can only be used once a day etc...) which I absolutely LOVE. Made the game way more fun. And you can CHOOSE to add these gameplay changes. Great way to deal with mainstream gamers.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 10/11/20 02:24 PM.
stranger
stranger
There is some neat self imposed challenges so far.
Can you have volo remove one eye and have auntie remove the other? Blind solo challenge run.

Last edited by lumby; 10/11/20 03:43 PM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard