Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#731546 10/11/20 09:13 AM
Z
zersus Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Z
Hey, yeah the title says it all in the short version. I don't like it. BG1 and BG2 hat some epic music, other modern RPGs like Pathfinder Kingmaker or Tyranny as well. Other modern RPGs like Witcher 3 hat legendary Musik. But this BG3 does not feel appropriate. I'm sorry for not being able to pinpoint my problem. It is more of a strong feeling. It started with the first time I saw the title screen, the music started playing and I went "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWW this sucks.".

Maybe someone feels the same as me and is more capable to articulate the problem.

journeyman
journeyman
I think the variety should be increased, but to be honest, it took a long time for me to get annoyed by the same melodies and turn off the music myself (probably about 100hrs in).
I find the main OST a bit loud with the deep vocals in the beginning, but it did gave me chills and I felt like I am about to go on epic adventure.

“There is only one thing we say to Death:
Not today.”
G
addict
addict
G
I like the main song, but wish the combat/action theme was more exhilarating.

veteran
veteran
I feel like although the music is good, there isn't enough of it right now, and aside from the main theme, the rest of it is quite forgettable (except the quire shouting in tough fights, which is awesome, but comes up way too often)

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
N
old hand
old hand
N
Well, you just can turn it off and play the BG 1 & 2 music instead, if you prefer. Or whatever else you like.

Last edited by Nyanko; 10/11/20 09:58 AM.
old hand
old hand
I do not agree with you, the music in BG3 is at a very high level and is an example for all other games.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
journeyman
journeyman
It's Borislav Slavov who's making the music again right? I absolutely loved his work on DOS2 (it's one of the few game soundtracks I got saved on spotify in fact) so I've been really liking the music we've heard so far. Especially the bard and harpies songs. I really can't wait to hear the full soundtrack eventually.
So a hard disagree on that OP, lol. But music taste is one of those highly subjective things anyway.

Z
zersus Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Z
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I do not agree with you, the music in BG3 is at a very high level and is an example for all other games.

I completely disagree. Witcher 3 is one of very view games, that (from my point of view) can be called an example.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by zersus

I completely disagree. Witcher 3 is one of very view games, that (from my point of view) can be called an example.

Sorry but it's not because you don't like it that it qualifies as bad music.

What do we have?
Pros:
- Written by a real music composer who already made some scores in well received video games.
- Recorded live with a philharmonic orchestra.
- The harmonies and melodies are good on the ear when you listen to them.
- Synched well with the different parts and actions in the game.

Cons:
- Zersus doesn't like it.

Should the outcome be "This piece of music is bad because mr Zersus doesn't like it"? I don't think so. Unless of course you tell me you are a great composer yourself and Hans Zimmer himself asks you for some advice when he produces a new score for some movies.

Last edited by Nyanko; 10/11/20 11:25 AM.
J
stranger
stranger
J
I'm happy they toned down the flute. That drove me nuts in the 'other' game.

Z
zersus Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Z
Originally Posted by Nyanko
Originally Posted by zersus

- Synched well with the different parts and actions in the game.

I said I don't like it, I didn't say, you don't have to like it. Grow up.
About being synched well with the different parts and actions in the game, I felt that it was not. Sometimes yes, but most of the time, the music was not appropriate to the situation.

Please don't use "money" as an argument for something artistically. Artists that worked on Kingmaker don't earn in a year as mutch as you have to pay for a philharmonic orchestra, but they created something with heart and soul.

Z
zersus Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Z
one thing is certain. It is quite hard to argue about "feeling" and taste. This is all a subjective matter, and everyone will have different opinion on it.

old hand
old hand
My Ideal Game Soundtrack: Down by the River

How some other people see the perfect soundtrack for a game:

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
addict
addict
It is funny how people complain about every single aspect of the game.

The soundtrack in BG3 is simply phenomenal. Complex, multilayered, dynamic.

Far, far superior than originals BGs which had very simplistic scores.

It is one of the best soundtracks in recent game history.

old hand
old hand
The great thing about music in games is that there is usually a way to turn it off if you don't like it. You can play something else even. It is impossible to please everyone.

I feel I am alone in saying constant music is repetitive and immersion breaking, doesn't anyone listen to the environmental sounds ever? I like pretty much any music that does not play on the radio, but rarely when playing a game.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Personally, I don't even really remember any of the BG1 music. I adore most of the BG2 music though, but I also love most of the BG3 music. Many of the battle songs, like the one in the swamp, gives me chills, just like how the main theme and "Battle Score 4" in BG2 does. The soundtracks of the games have differences, but I appreciate them for what they are.

Last edited by carcra; 10/11/20 01:25 PM.
old hand
old hand
I mean, I like it well enough I guess. But no matter how many pieces of music there are in this soundtrack, there will (apparently) always be...

One Leitmotif to rule them all,
One Leitmotif to find them,
One Leitmotif to bring them all,
and in the darkness bind them.

veteran
veteran
Speaking of Leitmotif, there was a rendition someone did to the new main theme of bg3 with the initial drums of og BG and it is glorious. This is what Inon Tzur did with Throne of Bhaal and I still think tob theme is the best in the series for it.
Edit: the post with the edited bg3 theme: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=689517#Post689517
And for comparison, here are the original Baldur's Gate theme and throne of Bhaal main theme

Last edited by Abits; 10/11/20 03:14 PM.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I don't know.

As a composer myself, I feel that BG 3's music is actually pretty good in terms of variations you can create on a theme. We have the nice slow version with "Down by the River". Then we have the Epic version. Don't get me started on how the music cues a triumphant version when you kill an enemy.

Although I do hope we have MORE tracks for fights.

BG soundtrack felt more on the nose and that can REALLY work. I love opening up that title screen and thinking I'm gonna go on an adventure. BG 3 is more subtle. It's telling me "You don't know what's coming."

One says "Let's go!" While the other says "Follow me...see the world that awaits"

E
apprentice
apprentice
E
Can't say I will even remember this soundtrack after a few years let alone praise it as one of the best ever, but it is good enough and it gets the job done. My only major issue is with the Harpy song. My understanding is that it should be magical and alluring, however it sounds pretty generic to me. I simply can't imagine someone being tempted to follow it to his doom.

Last edited by eLeF; 10/11/20 03:35 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard