Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
addict
OP Offline
addict
So you think you're tough because you made a solo dumpstat cheese-wizz via some constructive nautiloid tank throwing? You used an invisible imp to push some minotaurs off a cliff? You stealth-chipped the spider matriarch to pieces? You spent 10 minutes stacking barrels to kill the red dragon? You needed to get to level 4 before you could fight your own battles? Heh, you are a child.

This thread is for challenge runs - any constructive restriction to make the game harder. Beacuse the harder something is the better it is - this is known.

Inspired by Dark Souls, here is my ongoing SL1 BG3 EA run. No barrels, no stealth cheese, no scrub tier bs like leveling up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hit me up with your best challenge runs.

E
E
You are cheesing it anyway, by using left-hand damage modificator which is bugged right now and applies where it shouldn't be; an overpowered (by design) for this level Magic Missile amulet :p

addict
addict
Some suggested reading for you, because this ain't it, fam.

[Linked Image]

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
Some suggested reading for you, because this ain't it, fam.

i cant read

Last edited by alice_ashpool; 10/11/20 05:12 PM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
The naked challenge sounds fun. No gear at all. Only spells, fists and throwing stuff at the enemy. (borrowed from the witcher 3).

Last edited by Nyanko; 10/11/20 05:21 PM.
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Ellenhard
You are cheesing it anyway, by using left-hand damage modificator which is bugged right now and applies where it shouldn't be; an overpowered (by design) for this level Magic Missile amulet :p

Ok i re-did it only using a main hand weapon only and without an amulet. What now?

Last edited by alice_ashpool; 10/11/20 05:23 PM.
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Nyanko
The naked challenge sounds fun. No gear at all. Only spells, fists and throwing stuff at the enemy. (borrowed from the witcher 3).

Yeah, I want to do a poverty run, which was one of the highlight of BG1 and 2.

E
E
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool

Ok i re-did it only using a main hand weapon only and without an amulet. What now?

Let me kiss you! You are my hero now.

Now, naked, no saves and load, in a bugged and unstable EA?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Killing enemies with potatoes could be cool.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Verte

"It's the monster mash".

addict
OP Offline
addict

Now, naked,

Just for you, I've now done this with nothing on but my underwear and the axe in my hand.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Originally Posted by Verte

"It's the monster mash".

"With mash get Smash" (or was it the other way round? It's been over 40 years).

J'aime le fromage.
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Loved those robots. We had a toy one.

E
E

Now, naked,

Just for you, I've now done this with nothing on but my underwear and the axe in my hand.

Wait, just this one fight? It's certainly an accomplishment, but I thought you were talking about the whole challenge run!

I'll confess - my fetish right now is Guts' style walkthrough: blood- pumping, vengeance-fueled melee dance, whoosh-whoosh, clank-clank - who isn't dead yet, is shocked by sheer brutality and surrenders. But to get these emotions, I need to cheese. And no, ARPGs aren't better for that for me, it looks better in a tactical game where you can admire the art of melee precision and it's effect in your own tempo.
Survival-style runs are too consuming on an unpolished game. May lose patience in the process, with all the bugs.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Ok I did the stupid duergar fight at lvl 1 solo - what a boring chore.

Duergar party
Gekh Coal (Lvl 5) - 55 HP, casts mirror image, uses invisibility. Big 'ol Battleaxe which can one-shot
Lurgan (Lvl 4) - Cleric, 34HP. uses invisibility. 2 casts of Aid, 3 of guiding bolt, any one of which can one-shot
Novice Garmor (Lvl 4) - 19 Str, 43HP beast, will one-shot
Holvik (Lvl 4) - Crossbow asshole, 32HP, uses invisibility
5x Reanimated Corpses (Lvl 4), 22HP each

Total of 274HP to my 11 (+5 from armor of agathys)

Max damage for single one off round with mainhand dragon's grasp and offhand handax + 1 seems to be something like 2d6 + 3 + 4 + 1d4 fire + 1d4 poison (or is it 2d4 poison?, idk how this game works) (also since I forgot to bring a potion of strength,whoops) - with maybe an extra 1d6 + 3 + 1d4 fire + 1d4 poison if I have a potion of speed up, but the timings are difficult to get right.

Arbitrary rules: let Gekh Coal reanimate the corpses (i.e. don't open with punting him off the ledge), don't destroy any ladders until fight starts, no stealth-ing about once the fight starts, no wyvern poison, no ogres or spectators, no barrels or other HE, no mid-fight saving, anything else goes.

Strat:
Armor of agathys up, drink potion of fire resistance, coat weapons with poison, eat an apple for 1 round bless. Attack Holvik and one-shot him. Cast web from scroll in front of lurgan, arrow of roaring thunder Ghek into the abyss, punt lurgan down into the pit, destroy the only rigging ladder up from the bottom. cast blur from scroll and hope lurgans 3 guiding bolts miss you while you spend forever shooting them with your light crossbow + 1. job done. Sounds easy right

Last edited by alice_ashpool; 11/11/20 12:03 AM.
addict
OP Offline
addict
MVP in this fight goes to Gekh who on one of my early attempts used pro-gamer strats to misty-step up to the sussar tree level were no one could get to him.

W
journeyman
journeyman
W
How do you one shot Holvik? assuming you hit for max damage (very unlkely) by your math you get 2d6+3+4+4 = 12 +3 + 4 +4 = 23 < 32 hp.

old hand
old hand
Now this, I like. Arbitrary rules challenge runs are super fun!

Healing food, though? Cheese. (Sometimes literally.)

I'm gonna do a Scribe of Death run eventually, where I kill everything just by throwing Quills at them. #ThePenIsMightierThanTheSword

E
E
Ok I did the stupid duergar fight at lvl 1 solo - what a boring chore.

Duergar party
Gekh Coal (Lvl 5) - 55 HP, casts mirror image, uses invisibility. Big 'ol Battleaxe which can one-shot
Lurgan (Lvl 4) - Cleric, 34HP. uses invisibility. 2 casts of Aid, 3 of guiding bolt, any one of which can one-shot
Novice Garmor (Lvl 4) - 19 Str, 43HP beast, will one-shot
Holvik (Lvl 4) - Crossbow asshole, 32HP, uses invisibility
5x Reanimated Corpses (Lvl 4), 22HP each

Total of 274HP to my 11 (+5 from armor of agathys)

Max damage for single one off round with mainhand dragon's grasp and offhand handax + 1 seems to be something like 2d6 + 3 + 4 + 1d4 fire + 1d4 poison (or is it 2d4 poison?, idk how this game works) (also since I forgot to bring a potion of strength,whoops) - with maybe an extra 1d6 + 3 + 1d4 fire + 1d4 poison if I have a potion of speed up, but the timings are difficult to get right.

Arbitrary rules: let Gekh Coal reanimate the corpses (i.e. don't open with punting him off the ledge), don't destroy any ladders until fight starts, no stealth-ing about once the fight starts, no wyvern poison, no ogres or spectators, no barrels or other HE, no mid-fight saving, anything else goes.

Strat:
Armor of agathys up, drink potion of fire resistance, coat weapons with poison, eat an apple for 1 round bless. Attack Holvik and one-shot him. Cast web from scroll in front of lurgan, arrow of roaring thunder Ghek into the abyss, punt lurgan down into the pit, destroy the only rigging ladder up from the bottom. cast blur from scroll and hope lurgans 3 guiding bolts miss you while you spend forever shooting them with your light crossbow + 1. job done. Sounds easy right

I wasn't able to get poison damage stacked above fire damage (fire Dip+poison bottle), by the way, on a non-Dragon Grasp weapon. It is just d4 for a regular poison. Nice job! With what did you one-shot Holvik with his 32 hp's?

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by whalesecrets
How do you one shot Holvik? assuming you hit for max damage (very unlkely) by your math you get 2d6+3+4+4 = 12 +3 + 4 +4 = 23 < 32 hp.

Yeah, so its not really a "one-shot" - you need to attack from stealth with main and offhand or with slash, surprise then attack once with mainhand, drink a potion of speed. This should leave you with one action, with Gehk yet to raise the corpses so then move east to cast web. Tbh I'm not very happy with this "run", since it relies on Gehk failing his save against the roaring thunder arrow which is pretty hit or miss.

Here's a log:

[Linked Image]

I'm not very happy with this build since it relies on bonus action for damage too much and armor of agathys is now useless in these higher level fights where things will one-shot you- so I have restarted with what I think is going to be a nice OP lvl 1 cleric

Last edited by alice_ashpool; 11/11/20 09:59 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard