Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
lumby #731731 10/11/20 03:46 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by lumby
There is some neat self imposed challenges so far.
Can you have volo remove one eye and have auntie remove the other? Blind solo challenge run.

I think this is a kind of game that allows many of these self imposed restrictions for challenge runs. Like a Pokémon Nuzlock

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
lumby #731893 10/11/20 07:36 PM
addict
addict
Can you have volo remove one eye and have auntie remove the other? Blind solo challenge run.

If you do volo 1st, she wont. Not sure about the other way.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
is BG3 too EZ ?

yes. the AI is so buggy, that all the fight are a piece of cake

Last edited by Evil_it_Self; 10/11/20 07:40 PM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Evil_it_Self
is BG3 too EZ ?

yes. the AI is so buggy, that all the fight are a piece of cake

The AI struggling on getting on highground where you can just rain arrows on them is kinda a sad display ngl.
They seem to not find ladders sometimes...They just need 3-4 turns to figure out there was a ladder somewhere this whole time ^^

Apart from exploiting pathfinding though I feel enemies just lack mage support. Like they need waaay more mages on their side. Goblins struggle with it for obvious reasons. But the hag for instance is a way more interesting and (theoretically) difficult fight than others precisely because she's one of those who actually read the rule book and figured out hold person is a thing.

Maybe just more spellcasters would make some of those fights more challenging? You could still cheese it and one shot the mage before anything starts but if you go head on it would at least become some kind of challenge.

I had to nerf myself by not using dmg spells in most fights cause it would just be unfair in most of them :p
So @OP:"I know the game is not done and dialing the proper challenge level is to be revised but what do you think? Is it too easy and you don't need much of the inventory and magic offered?" Yup, sadly. I'm not even using surfaces that much . I'm just arrowing them to death from highground :| And I have to go highground cause their archers will get the advantage otherwise.

Idk, hard to judge low level encounters. Personally I'm a fan boy of mage fights in D&D so I guess I need higher level enemies to enjoy that part.

Last edited by virion; 10/11/20 07:59 PM.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RumRunner151

If you do volo 1st, she wont. Not sure about the other way.

Not possible I believe. I had the hag remove my eye and if I recall correctly I could only reject Volo's offer by stating that I'd already had one eye messed with and I didn't want to risk losing another.

Last edited by Bukke; 10/11/20 07:55 PM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
I agree. Way too easy.

Tuv Offline
journeyman
journeyman
The enemies make great use of destructible environment, such as ladders, trapping me repeatedly having to risk falling prone. The enemy focuses on lower AC characters and actually go for the killing blow when on the ground. I pushed Bernard through the window, down the tower and the next turn one of the other constructs kill shadowheart just like that.

As a veteran rpg player you will walk all over combat, a lot. That's what higher difficulties are for.

The current difficulty is normal for bg players and quite challenging for many new players. I think if it wasn't buggy and in early access, the difficulty would be spot on.
Aside from balancing issues and strange alterations to the dnd formula like shoving, jumping, ground effects, resting etc etc

It doesn't feel like it is DnD difficulty though, it's clearly something else and it feels too early to make changes to the rule set to see how it balances. It would be better to find out first, whether or not the DnD ruleset has to be changed.
I don't quite understand the priorities here, doesn't this take lots of time to do? Currently there is no comparison just how BG3 100% DnD would feel and play like.
But I've got no clue about the development structures in place, maybe it was tried already and found not fun.

Items are nuts sometimes and sometimes just nice. MM necklace and the blessing staff....I mean....thank you but maybe 100 hours later in the game...
The ring with +3m running speed or the "healing grants resistance" gloves, now those are great lower level items.

In general, please make use of the largest foundation any fantasy realm has ever known, and build on that more

veteran
veteran
The game is easy because combats are just a big exploit.

- Allow ennemies to jump behind us to backstab our characters at each turn and it won't be that easy anymore.
- Let them all avoid AOO as we can
- Let them jump to move further and do an attack they couldn't if they were just moving.
- Improve the AI so it don't use nearly useless spells like bane
(I mean... Not useless but way less effective they should be because their opponent have easy advantage at each turns)
- Let every ennemies dip their weapons in fire at each turns...
- Give them WTF items such a few of those we can find (i.e that give poison damages to the ally you just heal...)

It would looks even less serious if the AI could do such things (as we can)... But at least it would be less easy and more balanced...

Maybe they should find something else to balance the game... Don't know, something like avoiding to create cheesy mechanics and trusting / improving D&D instead of doing something totally different ?

Last edited by Maximuuus; 12/11/20 01:38 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Well, that quite a few posts in a couple of days! Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, it is the tactical difficulty that is lacking and, as we all know, the fix is not to purely to increase HP across the board for the opposition. While I didn't mention that I played DOS2 in this thread, interestingly, someone searched that out. Anyhow, I did and DOS2 was great! What I recall the most about DOS2, besides the sneaking around in the bush costume, is sitting there strategizing like if I do this, then I can do that, and so forth. Sure, I do it with BG3 too but not nearly as much or by using as much of my arsenal. Hardly anything is used as I mentioned in my original post.

The game is a work-in-progress and I do expect it to become more of a tactical challenge. I hope to get to a point where, when I am away from the game, I am problem solving or planning attacks in my head and then, having one of those aha moments.

I did fail to mention that I consistently make use of high-ground when possible and sometimes use sneak. Maybe without those, I’d be required to use spells as some of you alluded to.

As one person mentioned, I’m not sure why monsters keep attacking a downed player. Seems like a highly intelligent monster may do this based on the situation. An average monster would not sacrifice a turn pummeling a downed player and a low intelligence one would keep beating a dead horse.

Most responses indicate that the game is too easy. From the standpoint of not needing to use much of the great spells, scrolls, potions, etcetera, I agree. Maybe “simple” is a more appropriate word. I need to be forced away from – Dash, high-ground, cantrip, eat an apple, repeat.

Hopefully once BG3 is released, one would be required to contemplate situations a little more which would lead to having to be more creative with the resources in the game. Other than that, it is looking pretty good so far.

old hand
old hand

Originally Posted by Maximuuus

- Allow ennemies to jump behind us to backstab our characters at each turn and it won't be that easy anymore.
- Let them jump to move further and do an attack they couldn't if they were just moving.
(I mean... Not useless but way less effective they should be because their opponent have easy advantage at each turns)
- Give them WTF items such a few of those we can find (i.e that give poison damages to the ally you just heal...)

It would looks even less serious if the AI could do such things (as we can)... But at least it would be less easy and more balanced...

Maybe they should find something else to balance the game... Don't know, something like avoiding to create cheesy mechanics and trusting / improving D&D instead of doing something totally different ?

I would love it if the enemies could use all the same tricks as us! At least on higher difficulty, if nothing else.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies

Originally Posted by Maximuuus

I would love it if the enemies could use all the same tricks as us! At least on higher difficulty, if nothing else.

Even now ?
Kangaroo party for everyone ?

I'd also like them to use the same tricks than us (and more, I think it's necessary) but really not with the current combats rules...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 12/11/20 04:42 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
P
stranger
stranger
P
Nah, it gets a little rough at times. For me the Githyanki patrol is an example. Poor Gale only let off one spell before being downed. lol

There is of course the minatour fight. They get 3 actions if you count the leap I believe. That’s a bit rough for a level 4 party to deal with, especially if you have someone squishy like Gale with you

Overall I would say it’s not easy, but nor is it terribly difficult. The RNG will screw you over, but that’s Par to the course for a video game whose combat relies on RNG. Not much you can do about that outside of manipulating the odds and playing smart

Last edited by PraiseThanos; 12/11/20 07:00 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention the leap
apprentice
apprentice
I started having difficulties in DOS until I read on the internet that Larian studios divided the regions by levels. After that all made sense - even though the map is open to exploring and players have freedom to do whatever we want, there was a certain path that was fine tuned to be followed in order to keep the game balanced,
and avoid too many deaths.

Sometimes when I tried something different in DOS and DOS 2, I ended up getting the message that "maybe your party is not powerful enough for this region".
Other times I spent a lot of time on very tough combats, only then to realize maybe that was actually designed to be tackled later on.

I am fine with that - I consider games an evolution of movies in terms of storytelling...so if nowadays´ games still have main paths, that´s because we are still on an era of developing AI algorithms...I do not blame any studio for inducing a straight, more linear path...

But..if people are saying that BG3 is easy no matter which path you take...and combat mechanics do not demand good tactic or much thinking...then maybe
Larian can make some adjustments later on...definitely! what is the fun of just doing the same thing and winning all combats without much planning !?

A
addict
addict
A
The issue is that all those varied area layouts, with ladders/platforms/mountains/what you don't have, seem to be working against the ai. The enemies get defeated by tasks like climbing, and yet most combat encounters feature lots of climbing possibilities. For example, in the duergar village where my party started the fight while having the upper ground, the enemies wasted their turn running from one climbing net to the other, back and forth.

old hand
old hand
I think the main source of the game being easy right now is poor AI. If they make the AI a lot smarter, some of these encounters could be much tougher.

old hand
old hand
I think the main source of the game being easy right now is poor AI. If they make the AI a lot smarter, some of these encounters could be much tougher.

Agreed. They need to look for stealthed players or leave the area/get behind cover. Also question the moving of furniture around them at least and go hostile if the player continues doing it.

N
old hand
old hand
N

That's my wish too. I really hope they will pull something great and challenging for a tactical ironman mode.

Last edited by Nyanko; 13/11/20 11:00 AM.
veteran
veteran

I think I would absolutely hate for the AI to get "smarter" by leveraging some of the current structural weaknesses of the game, frankly.
Last thing I want is a group of enemies leapfrogging all around my party to avoid AoO and backstab my characters, for instance.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Tuco #733582 13/11/20 11:08 AM
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Tuco

I think I would absolutely hate for the AI to get "smarter" by leveraging some of the current structural weaknesses of the game, frankly.
Last thing I want is a group of enemies leapfrogging all around my party to avoid AoO and backstab my characters, for instance.

"Baldur's gate 3: planet of the apes" edition XD

Tuco #733583 13/11/20 11:09 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tuco

I agree, I'd rather not have every combat encounter end up being like in DOS2 where far too many enemies had random jump and leap abilities.
But I also think enemies still should be able to disengage if they find themselves in an unfavourable position. Jump/Disengage being tied to the same bonus action is an entirely different issue.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard