Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3

Does....does anyone actually want more surfaces? Weren't the biggest criticisms of DOSI&II about the surfaces??!!?

Exactly. Someone has used the tadpole too often because that's only taking place in dreamland.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit

Does....does anyone actually want more surfaces? Weren't the biggest criticisms of DOSI&II about the surfaces??!!?

Exactly. Someone has used the tadpole too often because that's only taking place in dreamland.

+1
I’d like to know if there was an actual survey to know that and I’ll shut my trap

Last edited by Sludge Khalid; 10/11/20 09:42 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

Wat? Surfaces is one of the most amazing things about D:OS/2. So many unforgettable fights with that, it was really awesome.

I don't know if anyone asked for more surfaces, but there is surely plenty of people who would not mind this at all and you bet there are people who would like combat to be more deterministic like D:OS2 one too.

Last edited by Gaidax; 10/11/20 09:48 PM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Gaidax

Wat? Surfaces is one of the most amazing things about D:OS/2. So many unforgettable fights with that, it was really awesome.

I don't know if anyone asked for more surfaces, but there is surely plenty of people who would not mind this at all and you bet there are people who would like combat to be more deterministic like D:OS2 one too.

Said sample size of 1. The great minority like it.

My surveys in Reddit and forum says it.
I’m not reliable? There’s another joe’s poll here

https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...p;utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

No. There’s no evidence that the majority likes it. It’s the opposite.

R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by Sludge Khalid

If Larian thinks that people like them, then they are probably right. They certainly have access to much more accurate data than one survey.

veteran
veteran

Your second paragraph there, that's exactly my point.You can't bring up anyone who asked for more surfaces. I certainly haven't seen significant posts on the forum about wanting more surfaces. Even you, who think that "surfaces is one of the most amazing things about D:OS/2" would only "not mind" more surfaces in BG3. (For the record, I also loved the surfaces in DOS. I liked the hectic-ness and the tactics of combining surfaces.)

And yet Swen claims that people
are CRYING OUT for there to be more surfaces in the game

Really, Swen? Really? Sounds like projection to me...

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Rhobar121

If Larian thinks that people like them, then they are probably right. They certainly have access to much more accurate data than one survey.

Share with everyone this amazing source and we’ll promise to shut our trap smile
I suggest less passion and more reasonable solutions

Professionalism comes from actual data not just feelings.

Let me use copy paste because I’ve said that this earlier

I’m using this argument for a while regarding what’s the Larian counterpart for the community feedback.

-DOS2 “we’ve removed weapon durability”. Yes, that’s it. That’s all you’ll get.

And after 3 years after full release Larian will incorporate QoL mods in their system that was created by the community as well.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m also suggesting many things to the game and so on. But I’m not expecting to have this problem solved &/or to have my opinions implemented.

The point of feedback in EA is not supposed to be “hey customer, let’s work together and develop the game”. It’s more like: “I have a project, here’s my concept, could you please be so kind and increase my cashflow?”

I made a post about this and I found out most people in this forum don't see it this way, and they were basically against my point of view. Nice to see someone else understands that EA in gaming are just ways of using us for Bug reporting and faster QA, they don't care about our gameplay ideas, only about our valuable millions of daily hours of testing.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by drimaxus
Let me use copy paste because I’ve said that this earlier

I’m using this argument for a while regarding what’s the Larian counterpart for the community feedback.

-DOS2 “we’ve removed weapon durability”. Yes, that’s it. That’s all you’ll get.

And after 3 years after full release Larian will incorporate QoL mods in their system that was created by the community as well.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m also suggesting many things to the game and so on. But I’m not expecting to have this problem solved &/or to have my opinions implemented.

The point of feedback in EA is not supposed to be “hey customer, let’s work together and develop the game”. It’s more like: “I have a project, here’s my concept, could you please be so kind and increase my cashflow?”

I made a post about this and I found out most people in this forum don't see it this way, and they were basically against my point of view. Nice to see someone else understands that EA in gaming are just ways of using us for Bug reporting and faster QA, they don't care about our gameplay ideas, only about our valuable millions of daily hours of testing.

And you know, that’s a completely acceptable approach to develop a game UNLESS you have your main flagship “give us damn feedbacks”

Have you ever wondered why there’s not this amount of rage against CD Projekt? Because they :

1-they’re honest to their concept from the very beginning
2-they aren’t cash grabbing people’s money as a trade off to let them participate in the game development

And in the end I’m pretty sure we’ll see CD star rocketing in sales and positive reviews

veteran
veteran

Steam like and dislike ? grin

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran

Really? Then where are all the posts on these forums, the Steam forums, Larian's forums, Reddit which are wanting to have more surfaces? I don't recall seeing "There are not enough surfaces" as a serious complaint in this game.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Stabbey

Really? Then where are all the posts on these forums, the Steam forums, Larian's forums, Reddit which are wanting to have more surfaces? I don't recall seeing "There are not enough surfaces" as a serious complaint in this game.

Found another one poll that clearly shows people that are “crying out” for more surfaces

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Grimo
From IGN article:

One of the more difficult elements of developing Baldur’s Gate 3 with player involvement is that there are numerous different ‘camps’ of people interested in the game. There’s Larian’s long-term fans, who are crying out for there to be more ‘surfaces’ in the game (a mechanic used in the Original Sin games to create dynamic fire, poison clouds, oil slicks, and more). Then there’s players of the D&D tabletop game, who’d rather have surfaces removed all together. And then there’s old-school Baldur’s Gate fans, who want the real-time combat of the BioWare original games back. There’s a lot of people pulling in a lot of directions.

“I can imagine that we will never manage to find the balance that will please everyone,” says Vincke. But, there is a (sort of) solution: “The game will be moddable eventually, so people will be able to make their mods. I expect multiple flavors of Baldur’s Gate 3 to come out of that. Over time there will be probably a flavor that will appeal hopefully to everybody.”

But as for the flavour that the Larian team will create themselves? It’s actually closer to the general consensus of what players apparently want than you may imagine. “All of the things that people are suggesting were already on the list of things that we had to do,” says Vincke. “So they fit our roadmap. We are, to a large extent, in sync with our audience, I think. But there are things that we hadn't thought of. So it'll be interesting to see what they are going to add to the game.”

Lol, I was an idiot to sepnd 90 bucks on this game. Oh well.

So they are going for the Bethesda solution, let the modders fix it, wonderful, just wonderful. Sigh, I hope this does not turn into Larian's Fallout 76 where they go from a must buy to never bother with.

enthusiast
enthusiast
"There’s Larian’s long-term fans, who are crying out for there to be more ‘surfaces’ in the game (a mechanic used in the Original Sin games to create dynamic fire, poison clouds, oil slicks, and more..."

I'm sorry, Citation Absolutely Needed here from the author, because that is a straight up lie from even the most casual of reviews of feedback on any of the available platforms.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
Yeah, I’ve never seen anyone begging to have “more surfaces” into the game. And it’s not a matter of fidelity to the pen & paper either. “Too many surfaces everywhere, every this is constantly on fucking fire” was a recurring complaint about DOS 2 as well. And the fact it often was NECROfire didn’t make things any better.

At most I’ve seen people saying they don’t hate the idea of surface entirely, but they think those should be less ubiquitous across the game. That’s the “moderate” opinion and the group I’d count myself in.

A lot of other people on the other hand seem to want them gone from the game entirely.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Surfaces and environment effects can make for fantastic memories, but Larian put them everywhere and overpowered to turn them into purely trival part of combat. There is nothing special about them and it stopped all the way back in DOS1 to feel special. DOS2 ruined surface effects for me completely and now they are spilled over into BG3.

I don't want them completely gone, but like most good DM would say it: when its a creative idea to solve a situation its great. When it becomes a regularly used exploit it ruins the game. That's where Larian ended with those in their games.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem

So they are going for the Bethesda solution, let the modders fix it, wonderful, just wonderful. Sigh, I hope this does not turn into Larian's Fallout 76 where they go from a must buy to never bother with.

No. This is not the same. They are going to make a polished, working, fun game for a very large audience of people. Most people will not need or want to mod the game. But then the modders will make alternatives to make the game suit various NICHE audiences. Bethesda releases shittily-made games that actually need FIXING, not just customizing for select player preferences. Larian is gonna release a perfectly solid title, but it just might have some design elements that various minority groups dislike, and those people can mod the game to fit their perfect vision.

As for people "crying out" for more surfaces, that's absolute nonsense. I spend several hours a day on this forum and the BG3 subreddit, and I've never seen ANYONE "cry out" for MORE surfaces. What a load of tripe.

As for Larian communicating with us about what feedback they're considering, I think it's a double-edged sword. There's a reason they're hesitant to do that. You'll notice that they basically said, "give us your feedback and we'll use it to make the game better" and NOT "give us your feedback, we'll talk to you about your feedback, and then we'll make the game better". The reason that developers, especially big ones with lots of money and reputation riding on the line, keep things vague and unspecific, or just don't say anything. That reason is that gamers are fucking insane.

If they say, "we notice people asking for a larger party" or "we notice that people are asking for a classic CRPG control scheme" or "we notice that people are asking for Disengage and Hide to be regular actions", 9999 people will take these statements as Promises From On High that those issues are going to be addressed, in exactly the way that they hope. If Larian says those things, and then chooses NOT to alter their game to suit those particular feedbacks, then 9999 people will come out of the woodwork screaming, "They LIED to us! They said they were gonna fix these issues! Larian are liars, liars, liars! How dare they!" If you've been paying any attention to Greater Internet Discourse in the online gaming community over the last decade or so, you know that I'm right.

It just makes the most sense for them to stay quiet about specific issues until they feel like they are likely to give people what they want on those issues, to avoid crazy people misconstruing their words and starting an internet shitfire.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
. . .the modders will make alternatives to make the game suit various NICHE audiences. Bethesda releases shittily-made games that actually need FIXING, not just customizing for select player preferences. Larian is gonna release a perfectly solid title, but it just might have some design elements that various minority groups dislike, and those people can mod the game to fit their perfect vision . . .

But there's the rub, who gets to decide who is a niche audience? Which is why the use badly drawn or disingenuously constructed continuums is worrisome. Such techniques can be used to make majority opinions seem like minority ones.

At the risk of getting my post moved -- I see this used in the political realm all the time. Policies that have something like an 80 percent approval rating are constructed as 'extreme' or 'marginal'.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit

But there's the rub, who gets to decide who is a niche audience?

The professional game developers who know how to make a game that will sell to a very large audience. They get to decide, because they have the most data and the most expertise.

veteran
veteran
Well I think we can all think of counter examples to those principles -- devs who thought they hand their finger on the pulse didn't and of devs who defied the consensus and produced hits.

Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard