Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
I would like to see more opportunities for using some spells for role play purpose and make it more obviously.
Example: If I picked cantrip Friends, then I should have icon of that cantrip beside Deception or Persuasion options in dialogs. So if I want to I could use it in the middle of conversation to increase my chance of success.
Problem is that I don't know what dialog options I will have in some conversation so I must first save game before some social interaction and then if I thought: "I should have used Friends on him..." Then I need to load game and use it before conversation start. By adding icons of spells that can be used for role play purposes (like Guidance, Friends, Charm Person, Minor Illusion, Thaumaturgy, Silent Image, Disguise Self etc...) for example: "In middle of conversation" and make it more obviously, game play will be more smooth.

+1 on this. Ive had the same problem. These spells all require foreknowledge of the dialogue options. All these abilities are practically useless to new players. I saw that Thaumaturgy was tuned to be a similar effect and it made me sad... because its even more niche than Friends is

Last edited by pill0ws; 21/10/20 04:56 PM.
veteran
veteran
That sounds awesome!

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Or can you imagine that you are on quest where you need to find someone. And then in conversation with NPC you have option to use Minor Illusion and then you create on the top of your open palm small image of the person that you looking for. And you can ask him something like: “Did you saw this person?”

Last edited by DebuYarou; 10/11/20 06:58 PM.
veteran
veteran
Definitely +1 to this, OP.

E
E
I'd say spells and items both, for a balance toward less-casting classes.

M
stranger
stranger
M
i totally agree, i could only find 1 use for reading thought (donni) and never been able to succefully use disguise without everyone attacking me on sight : ive made the halfelin flee from the dungeon, turn into a halfelin, succefully bluff the guard, enter, and get attack on sight. maybe a sleight of hand, or bluff, even hide check could be use to cast the needed spell during dialog, or insight check before the dialog start telling your characteR ''hm maybe i should use this spell'' if you have a scroll or is prepared in yours spell list

french canadian who prefer to interact with the english forum. sorry if i make mistake. i do my best ;P
enthusiast
enthusiast
Non-combat spells don't get much time to shine right now, but fortunately Larian has said they're working on implementing a way for you to cast them during dialogues.
I believe the example they used was the ability to use Detect Thoughts on an NPC that you're talking to, but I assume (or at least I hope) they're also taking other spells into account.

M
stranger
stranger
M
i hope so, because im kinda losing a lots of playtime reloading just because im wondering if ''this or that'' work XD

french canadian who prefer to interact with the english forum. sorry if i make mistake. i do my best ;P
stranger
stranger
+1
I tried like 30 times to cast friends on kagha and shes just outta the cast zone and the dialogue starts so casting in dialogue would be great

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Bukke
Non-combat spells don't get much time to shine right now, but fortunately Larian has said they're working on implementing a way for you to cast them during dialogues.
I believe the example they used was the ability to use Detect Thoughts on an NPC that you're talking to, but I assume (or at least I hope) they're also taking other spells into account.

Yeah, they confirmed this barely a couple of days after EA started.
It's coming. In the same way support for dialogue involving more party members is coming as well.

We'll need to wait and see with what sort of implementation, exactly.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
+1 I've tried to cast friends on Korga so many times.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Rock hard +1 on this suggestion, Friends, Thaumaturgy, maybe even Guidance?

old hand
old hand
Fully agree. This would be a huge improvement.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Shinn Ryusei
Rock hard +1 on this suggestion, Friends, Thaumaturgy, maybe even Guidance?

Charm person, Bless, Detect thoughts, Speak with Animals, maybe even Animal Friendship ...

But i would also like to have there some diceroll ... so NPCs have chance to notice that you are trying to cast on them ... and possibly gets upset. laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
stranger
stranger
There should definitely be consequences to casting in front of people. No one wants Charm Person cast on them, and it's half of the reason why sorcerer's Subtle metamagic exists.

D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
In character creation or when you level up, some classes need to pick some spells. The questions you should ask yourself are “How useful is that spell?” or “In which situations could I use it?” and not just for combat purpose. If there is a few situations in game for role play purpose, then why should I pick that spell?
Also in those situations, those spells need to be more obvious. For someone who knows D&D maybe it’s not a big deal but for someone who is new it’s need to be more obvious. He could easily miss opportunity to use them or maybe he doesn’t even know that he could use them.

old hand
old hand
Is the Friends spell even working right now?

Link Copied to Clipboard