Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G

I count 6 male and 5 female hairstyles that are 'afrocentric', plus a few more that I have seen 'people of color' with irl. So Larian seems to have done a good job. The comment about 'ONE or TWO out of 100's' is simply not true. The total number of hairstyles (35 for male and 25 for female characters) are more than available most cRPG. Certainly better and more varied options than their previous Divinity games or any of the Bioware games.
And this is just the early access . . . there are expected to be additional options added later.
[/quote]

I AM AFRICAN AMERICAN and yes there are only two that I can relate to

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gadayawan

I count 6 male and 5 female hairstyles that are 'afrocentric', plus a few more that I have seen 'people of color' with irl. So Larian seems to have done a good job. The comment about 'ONE or TWO out of 100's' is simply not true. The total number of hairstyles (35 for male and 25 for female characters) are more than available most cRPG. Certainly better and more varied options than their previous Divinity games or any of the Bioware games.
And this is just the early access . . . there are expected to be additional options added later.

I AM AFRICAN AMERICAN and yes there are only two that I can relate to [/quote]

Maybe you can post example hairstyles you "can relate to"?

F
stranger
stranger
F
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
Maybe you can post example hairstyles you "can relate to"?

I'd like to see that

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Gadayawan
and yes there are only two that I can relate to

That sounds more like a personal problem than a perceived lack of hairstyles.

old hand
old hand
I do think they need to do better with regards to facial features AND hairstyles that represent people of color.

I always +1 for more hairstyles. Personally, I'd like to see a better selection of shorter styles for women too. Tbh I feel like a lot of problems of finding a suitable style could be minimized if they just made all the styles available for every race/gender.

Also, talking in very broad strokes about medieval Europe from a historical standpoint, knights (the nobility class) preferred to keep their hair long as a status symbol. Peasantry kept their hair short or shaved because it was easier to maintain or, in some regions, due to sumptuary laws. Having their hair cut was often a punishment/act of humiliation for knights/nobility and represented a loss of honor or stripping of their rank. Feudal Japan also felt similarly about their hair but I think everyone kept most of it long and tied into a topknot with the front shaved.

It's really a more modern sensibility to prefer short hair for warriors. I don't know the exact history of it but I imagine it has something to do with lice infestations during the trench warfare of WWI, which was real nasty business.

So, in the D&D fantasy setting I'd say it's safe for your happy zweihander wielding, heavy armor wearing warriors to have long lucious curls/dreads/what have you.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Kendaric
That sounds more like a personal problem than a perceived lack of hairstyles.

Isn't that the point of expressing opinion on these matters? To bring up what you consider a problem to you, personally?

apprentice
apprentice
could use these three basic haircuts

[img]https://pin.it/sXRPCWY[/img]

[img]https://pin.it/2hMMrNz[/img]

[img]https://pin.it/1q1Pfux[/img]

journeyman
journeyman
From what I understand, afro textured hair in video games that actually looks good is incredibly rare. Most of the time it seems to be limited to either a circular afro or corn rows. Larian at least seem to have made an attempt to include some more options than that. If we do get more hairs in the future (which is very likely) I hope they include more textured and curly hairstyles too. The more variety the better.

Originally Posted by Ghost214
could use these three basic haircuts

Reminds me of this artwork by Nick Robles. Would look cool as fuck in game, honestly.
[Linked Image]

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah there should be as many custom character options as humanly possible. I am not a fan of presets personally. I cannot recall any game that allows custom hair styles using sliders etc. closest I know is BDO. Maybe it's another "lets leave it to the modders" issue? Seems to be quite alot that falls in that category.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by zeel
Reminds me of this artwork by Nick Robles. Would look cool as fuck in game, honestly.

Makes me think of Grace Jones. Who was kinda terrifying. Well, probably still is.

J'aime le fromage.
J
stranger
stranger
J
I was looking for a decent set of dreadlocks for the Males - I found one was just too asian looking. It had a top knot with a green jade in it. Unfortunately the only medium length dreadlocks that look decent was available to females. So now my character is lesbian with a very deep voice. I'm trying to make it work....just wish armor didnt emphasis the chest area

They need more hairstyles and character customization options in general.

I'm not trying to detract from your request for "afrocentric" options of course, just pointing out the need for much more in general.

veteran
veteran
I think game need more bald options. I feel discriminated by not being able to find balding hairstyle which fits precisely what I can identify with.

veteran
veteran
Personaly i just dont see the reason why there still is hairstyles, that are male only, or female only ...
Come on, we are allready able to put makeup on our males, beards on our females, and both kind of voices for both genders ... what other reason there is to separate those, except limiting our possibilities? frown

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Sadurian
[quote=fredahl]Fighters and Rangers I tend to give short and sensible haircuts, or at least tied back. .

My dwarven fighters NEVER have short sensible haircuts. Always hair out to there and beards that would make an Ozark Mountain Moonshiner jealous. And that's the WOMEN !!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard