Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Honestly I attribute the non-snapping inventory more to standard EA lack of refinement than being like that by design. At least I hope so.

old hand
old hand
I like useless items as loot. I think finding money is chests is very bland and boring. I like finding gems, silverware, fine cloth, art, luxury objects and the like. I want to feel like I'm actually looting a place and bringing back a haul to sell at the trader's. But by "as loot" I mean things that are worth something.

I don't want to find wooden bowls and clay mugs or any other kind of worthless trash items everywhere. These are not fun to loot. They just trigger my "Must loot EVERYTHING" syndrome and stress me out. I don't mind these being in the game as statics or area clutter. They add to the atmosphere and personality of areas if used right (making the same clay bowl and tin plates lootable everywhere is not the "right" way though). But if they're just useless and worthless clutter, what's the point of making them pick-up-able?

Optimistically Apocalyptic
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by bernardthehermit
Thinking about it more, not only I would like the items issue to be resolved with the Detect Magic mechanic, in fact it could be developed in a series of passive checks. A check on Arcana highlights scrolls just to name one, a check on Nature potentially useful herbs and other natural ingredients (if ever a crafting system will be introduced) etc. etc.

I agree with this. The Detect Magic/Detect Valuables (for non-magic characters) passive check mechanics it's a must in D&D that should not be underevaluated from Larian. In my opinion it would be just right in so many ways, and it will not waste players time with too many inventory tasks (which personally i find boring to manage as @irenicusdungeon says it would be much better the snap to option) . They should really consider an improvement about this part of the game. There is room for improvement here guys.

R
journeyman
journeyman
R
I don't mind the items in the game useful or not add immersion to the game. There is nothing more sad that see a room cluttered of stuff and can't interact with it because ((gamey reason)). Is not like you are forced to use or take those items you just keep what is most useful and leave the other. You want something useful? Search for it.

journeyman
journeyman
It would be great to have the little stuff "placeable" so that you could set tables and chairs and such at camp. If it's going to be in the game anyways. It would be more like UO, and make things more personal and homey in camp. Have them work only in the camp area, to cut down lag. I like the clutter, personally.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Balls
It would be great to have the little stuff "placeable" so that you could set tables and chairs and such at camp.

This is what I want. I've been dragging a lot of the 'useless' items back to camp for decoration - gems, herbs, inkpots, tableware - but I can't take any of the furniture. At least my characters should be able to pick up a nice tent like the ones the companions get.

veteran
veteran
Like the OP I really like the mundane items. Wandering through a place with lots of dried up ink wells tell me something about the inhabitants. Glass chalices and wooden bowls tell me something about how the people were living. It's part of the art and the BG3 art is fantastic. They did a great job of making places look lived in -- from the monks who wrote all day to the depressing squalor of the hook horror hermit. The mundane items also make the real treasures seem like treasures. When I find silver platters in a goblin chest I think "must have been taken from one of the temple altars

And they have found way to make these mundane items meaningful in two different quests that I can think of -- one that requires that you were watching so see if these items seemed out of place. (okay fine
the Arcane Tower
comes with HUGE hint but still)

The hag's hut is perhaps my favorite setting -- the transformation from a quaint cottage to a house of horrors is foreshadowed by that lovely toad shaped tea pot the kind old lady has in the grove. Quaint, mundane, curiosity piece or emblem of a sadist? Turns out to be latter -- the hag is just someone who would make tea pots out live toads. Perhaps they are alive still just paralyzed and held in suspended animation. Shivers. Suspicion.

I just don't have the inventory burdens other have I mentally filter them out the mundane items and they just don't show up in my inventory. I get why some do -- these are often used in crafting menus but if there is an item I fear might have a DOS like use like a crab claw, starfish or undies I can just "send to camp".

stranger
stranger
Wish I'd got to see more of the hags layer pre-swamp form but I succeeded a perception check straight away so it changed immediately.

Would of been much cooler experience to have it gradually revealed. Perception on a whole feels a bit slap dash but thats an issue for another thread...

These are quibbles but hopefully helpful ones to make it a great game. Really enjoying it so far, feels like a BG game - never really got the same experience from Dragonage in recreating that BG magic, adventure and story.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Dexai
I like useless items as loot. I think finding money is chests is very bland and boring. I like finding gems, silverware, fine cloth, art, luxury objects and the like. I want to feel like I'm actually looting a place and bringing back a haul to sell at the trader's. But by "as loot" I mean things that are worth something.

I don't want to find wooden bowls and clay mugs or any other kind of worthless trash items everywhere. These are not fun to loot. They just trigger my "Must loot EVERYTHING" syndrome and stress me out. I don't mind these being in the game as statics or area clutter. They add to the atmosphere and personality of areas if used right (making the same clay bowl and tin plates lootable everywhere is not the "right" way though). But if they're just useless and worthless clutter, what's the point of making them pick-up-able?

Would be nice maybe to have tags for treasure and junk.

So you open a chest that has some gold, gems and junk it in, even having a separate button 'take all' and 'take all treasure'.

There is a lot of clutter atm, but it doesn't need to be removed just organised bettercI think.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dexai

Basically, yes.
Still, I'd be fine with most junk being "pick-up-able" as long as:
- It doesn't get highlighted when I press ALT to highlight interactable objects.
- It doesn't fill containers, treasure chests and what else.

I'm perfectly happy assuming "random everyday items in this world exist but I have no need to interact with them to any degree".

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard