Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#732806 12/11/20 02:30 AM
C
cgexile Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
Where is Sir Lora? Where is Xzar and Montaron? Where is all that voice acting?

I feel like Swen turned in to Chris Nolan and Larian is making their Dark Knight.

I mean BG3 will probably be a solid game but so far it feels like a really depressing one. The only amusing part thus far for me are the goblins periodically taking a piss. Beyond that... whyyyyy ssooooo sssssssssssssssserious????? I know Minsc is eventually in the game but I am scared of what you may have turned him and his hamster in to at this point.

addict
addict
I feel there is too much humor.

Especially in Astarion and Gale.

I am ok with the Goblins, but some characters with dramatic background are not believable.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
I thought BG3 has plenty of humor. Maybe cgexile just hasn't gone down the right paths?

C
cgexile Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
They all seem pretty serious to me. I mean there are some amusing lines here and there. The goblin banter is amusing, but I feel like it's I'm missing that constant light-heart companionship from the other games and that's why overall it can feel kind of depressing. I do enjoy the interaction between Lae'zel and Shadowheart but it's mainly them ready to kill each other. It's kinda funny but at the same time I'm on egg shells wondering like at any moment they are about to bounce on out of my party because they can't stand each other; which was a thing in BG.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
It does seem a bit serious business (I mean other than the random banter from the goblins). I just assumed D&D is like that.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
BG2 fans are split on Jan who was a comic relief character. I love Jan and I had him in most of my parties. Minsc was about 50 percent humor.

But you could also assemble downright morose murder party -- Valygar musing on whether he was right to murder his parents, Keldorn depressed after he murdered his wife, Anomen repenting for having murdered Saerk, non romanceable Jaheria musing about her murdered husband.

I think they've got the tone right -- once Minsc comes we'll get some humor. BG is more Star Wars than Guardians of the Galaxy or Spaceballs.

R
old hand
old hand
R
In retrospect, it seems a little funny how people complained because the game was supposed to be too comical because it's creates by Larian.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
BG2 fans are split on Jan who was a comic relief character. I love Jan and I had him in most of my parties. Minsc was about 50 percent humor.

But you could also assemble downright morose murder party -- Valygar musing on whether he was right to murder his parents, Keldorn depressed after he murdered his wife, Anomen repenting for having murdered Saerk, non romanceable Jaheria musing about her murdered husband.

I think they've got the tone right -- once Minsc comes we'll get some humor. BG is more Star Wars than Guardians of the Galaxy or Spaceballs.

Jan was fantastic.

enthusiast
enthusiast
This could be because we don't have all companions yet:
"We put in the evil and neutral NPC companions first, so there was a bit of backlash from people complaining that all the characters were so haughty and snarky, but it was really just those characters acting as their natural selves. I didn’t realise it would be such a thing, but in reality we just hadn’t put the good characters in yet. There’s a much wider variety" (see full link to articles here https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=730365)

I miss companions who keeps hoping no matter what happens, like Imoen. My BG2 companions always get along well and it's a pleasure travelling with them: Nalia, Aerie, Mazzy, Neera.
The ones we got here have far bigger problems than the tadpole. Gale is the only with humor, but you must pick the answers very well to find that humor (let him give the long version and then pick part funny, part smart answers). It's not much, but it's there.

The bard we can save from Goblin camp also tries to be funny, not sure if it is. Feels awkward. Or maybe I don't get it. Thought he was scared by goblins and lost his wits. But who knows, maybe he will do some better jokes later.

old hand
old hand
Please god no. The DOS games had way too much silly nonsense, and even the BG games did. I don't want "comedy fantasy", I want serious fantasy. That doesn't mean that funny things can't happen or that characters can't crack jokes, but there's a difference between naturalistic humor and over-the-top zany absurd shit just for the sake of "the luls".

R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Please god no. The DOS games had way too much silly nonsense, and even the BG games did. I don't want "comedy fantasy", I want serious fantasy. That doesn't mean that funny things can't happen or that characters can't crack jokes, but there's a difference between naturalistic humor and over-the-top zany absurd shit just for the sake of "the luls".

For this reason, I will most likely prepare a roasted hamster smile

C
cgexile Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by LoneSky
This could be because we don't have all companions yet:
"We put in the evil and neutral NPC companions first, so there was a bit of backlash from people complaining that all the characters were so haughty and snarky, but it was really just those characters acting as their natural selves. I didn’t realise it would be such a thing, but in reality we just hadn’t put the good characters in yet. There’s a much wider variety" (see full link to articles here https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=730365)

I miss companions who keeps hoping no matter what happens, like Imoen.

Ah, thanks for that IGN article. I guess if they add more potential companions that have a positive outlook on life and boost traveling morale, like Imoen, that will be outstanding. I liked Imoen and I really liked Lohse (even if I had to kill her in the end, after which I reloaded the game and allowed he to ascend instead so I didn’t have to). I don’t mind 1 party member with emotional issues but when everyone is like that, it’s basically Lone wolf mode if at all possible.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by cgexile
whyyyyy ssooooo sssssssssssssssserious?????

Are you serious?

old hand
old hand

I mean BG3 will probably be a solid game but so far it feels like a really depressing one. The only amusing part thus far for me are the goblins periodically taking a piss. Beyond that... whyyyyy ssooooo sssssssssssssssserious?????

The tadpole situation is a bit serious. I would question the sanity of anyone trying to goof off right now.

I don't want "comedy fantasy", I want serious fantasy. That doesn't mean that funny things can't happen or that characters can't crack jokes, but there's a difference between naturalistic humor and over-the-top zany absurd shit just for the sake of "the luls".

This.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I don’t mind 1 party member with emotional issues but when everyone is like that, it’s basically Lone wolf mode if at all possible.

Agreed. Not my kind of fun either. I like to help and save everyone, and expect my companions to feel the same, if not, I will go alone.

veteran
Online Content
veteran

Incidentally, I think that DOS 1 in particular was at its worst when it attempted to be serious and at its best when it introduced the "silly" content like talking animals, the Wishing Well Brothers, etc.
I doubt anyone ever actually gave a fuck about Braccus Rex, for instance.

Still, I don't disagree with the sentiment. I'd like humor and witty writing to be side notes more than the central piece of a deliberate "fantasy parody".
For instance I appreciated the dark humor of Auntie Ethel who insisted in talking as an overzealous granny even after her cover identity was blown entirely.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by vometia
It does seem a bit serious business (I mean other than the random banter from the goblins). I just assumed D&D is like that.

D&D is silly and a few sessions ago people were crying with laughter from how ridiculous what just happened was. Its usually an unmitigated disaster that somehow stumbling from f-up to f-up like a drunken sailor somehow turns into making it through something you had no reason to. There are moments its serious and people need to get their game faces on but its usually a DM face palming. A picture I made a while ago after a session (not my face)

The DM

Last edited by Orbax; 12/11/20 04:59 AM.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Tuco

Incidentally, I think that DOS 1 in particular was at its worst when it attempted to be serious and at its best when it introduced the "silly" content like talking animals, the Wishing Well Brothers, etc.
I doubt anyone ever actually gave a fuck about Braccus Rex, for instance.

Oh yeah, DOS1 had a pretty trash story. That's why I never finished it. I just didn't care about anything that was happening. Too much spectacle, not enough substance.

Banned
Banned
Humor huh?

Well considering that everybody probably himself to be a dead-mortal-walking... I doubt the round can be too cheerful.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
You are asking for "silliness" not really Humor. There's lots of humor in the game. There's less of the silly natured things like Sir Lora etc. (Although get yourself speak with animals, and have a chat with the squirrels, they are a hoot)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard