Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 6 44 45
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
The way I see it, the more time in between each patch will lead to better progression. They get to do add a lot more into the patch, test it, stabilize it, release it, and then they can hotfix anything that the patch may have broken. Then they can move on to the next patch.

If they release patches faster, they may introduce more bugs, as they aren't taking the time to internally test it. Then they have to chase down those bugs, instead of working on the next patch.

It's a marathon not a race.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Evandir
The way I see it, the more time in between each patch will lead to better progression. They get to do add a lot more into the patch, test it, stabilize it, release it, and then they can hotfix anything that the patch may have broken. Then they can move on to the next patch.

If they release patches faster, they may introduce more bugs, as they aren't taking the time to internally test it. Then they have to chase down those bugs, instead of working on the next patch.

It's a marathon not a race.

I very much agree on the marathon part and that they shouldn't carelessly rush anything, but imo it's better to release smaller patches more frequently. That way you can immediately track what is causing problems in a given build, while if you make a huge patch with a new race, a new companion, a new class and a bunch of changes to mechanics (for an extreme example), it's going to be hell to track what is causing what problem and what impact on the game each element has.

I think a patch per major change + some bugfixes and then several hotfixes until the next big patch would be reasonable.

Originally Posted by Stabbey
I don't remember Larian promising a patch every two weeks.

^this.

I don't mind when the patches come out smile. I hope they can fix Ethel soon, and I hope we get Chapter 2 soon laugh!

In the meantime I'm keeping busy with games I already own <3.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
There is no incentive to push patches at this point. The amount of $ profit on this game is already through the roof. This game is on the back burner and resources have been put on something new for the future.
As long as peeps support these kind of products, it's just the way things roll in the gaming industry.

There is no reason to keep 1+ million paying peeps happy, Larian already got paid.
And you think they are going to get another 1+ million sales at release, or even close to that? in 18 months to 2 years down the road? doubtful.

By time this game is released, if it gets released...in 2 years or so...this game will be long forgotten and passed up by something better.

Nope, this is the model for the gaming industry.

Hype, get funding, throw out a, Alpha/Beta, get the $, and off to the next project.

Why, because people make it an acceptable business model.

Last edited by Thrandarian; 12/11/20 11:45 AM.
T
apprentice
apprentice
T
I have yet to see a proper patch since launch date.

They mostly fixed performance/visual bugs so far, absolutely nothing on D&D mechanics, which to me shows they don't care about making this a D&D game, but rather DOS3 with some D&D elements.

So yeah, you can tell by the last patches the direction they are taking. Which is No Direction.

But I guess they already have my 60 dollars, oh well.

Last edited by Tequilaman; 12/11/20 12:06 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Thrandarian
There is no incentive to push patches at this point. The amount of $ profit on this game is already through the roof. This game is on the back burner and resources have been put on something new for the future.
As long as peeps support these kind of products, it's just the way things roll in the gaming industry.

There is no reason to keep 1+ million paying peeps happy, Larian already got paid.
And you think they are going to get another 1+ million sales at release, or even close to that? in 18 months to 2 years down the road? doubtful.

By time this game is released, if it gets released...in 2 years or so...this game will be long forgotten and passed up by something better.

Hype, get funding, throw out a, Alpha/Beta, get the $, and off to the next project.

Insert not sure if serious meme here.

Because otherwise, mohahahahahahahaha.... No.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tequilaman

They mostly fixed performance/visual bugs so far, absolutely nothing on D&D mechanics, which to me shows they don't care about making this a D&D game, but rather DOS3 with some D&D elements.

So yeah, you can tell by the last patches the direction they are taking. Which is No Direction.

Patience. They have stupid amounts of feedback to go through AND THEN consider. The EA numbers far surpassed what they were expecting. I'd be more worried if they started churning out content patches without much thought behind them.

What I'd appreciate, however, is some kind of official statement in the vein of what The Composer (mod) posted here some time ago: "You've given us heaps of feedback! We appreciate it, but please be patient - we will need time to go through all of it and give it a good thought. Stay tuned!" Or something like that.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tequilaman

Good thing I bought it on GOG, might get a refund if things go awry.. or nowhere.

Last edited by GloriousZote; 12/11/20 12:31 PM.
addict
addict
[Linked Image]

👀

G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Vhaldez
[Linked Image]

👀

Ok, yes!

apprentice
apprentice

I find it a bit questionable to patch on Friday. When I think back to the last 2 patches and the bugs that still exist, I don't want to imagine what could go wrong with it.

I would rather be interested in whether Larian is pursuing a patch plan and taking into account all the massive bugs?

I mean, how does it fail that the cube bug appears or the item bug which crashes the game underdark 1hand crossbow. Aunty Ethel endgame dialogues Item Game Crash.

Are they so deep in the programming that you can't get them solved that easily?

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Flafnir

I find it a bit questionable to patch on Friday. When I think back to the last 2 patches and the bugs that still exist, I don't want to imagine what could go wrong with it.

I would rather be interested in whether Larian is pursuing a patch plan and taking into account all the massive bugs?

I mean, how does it fail that the cube bug appears or the item bug which crashes the game underdark 1hand crossbow. Aunty Ethel endgame dialogues Item Game Crash.

I would understand not pushing a patch a friday if it was a live patch on a released game. But for EA, I don't see why it's a problem at all.

apprentice
apprentice

Originally Posted by Nyanko

I would understand not pushing a patch a friday if it was a live patch on a released game. But for EA, I don't see why it's a problem at all.

Because no one of the developers works on a weekend to fix bugs and the game may not be playable until Monday, i.e. mid-week. Save Game crashs, Ui Crash etc, anything can happen. Like the Auto Save Error game Crash.

addict
addict
This post provides a nice little snapshot of these forums in their current state.
A baitpost meant to sow unrest on the perceived development process, bitter "this isn't Baldur's Gate 3 or 5e, we can't decide which" cheerleaders who only exist to fan flames, and misplaced optimism from aloof fans.
The suggestion forums aren't much better, with half of the posts coming from people who really want their specific sexual kinks and/or malfunctions included in the game to play out their fantasies.
Of course, things are only this way because Larian, much like any other company in this situation, isn't putting out a state of the game address every time they scratch their asses, and people feel entitled to constant updates.

It's been just about 5 weeks since EA release. You all have something like 45-50 more weeks to go. Maybe slow down a little with the exhausting posts where you try to burn everything to the ground out of boredom.
Pace yourselves.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
This post provides a nice little snapshot of these forums in their current state.
A baitpost meant to sow unrest on the perceived development process, bitter "this isn't Baldur's Gate 3 or 5e, we can't decide which" cheerleaders who only exist to fan flames, and misplaced optimism from aloof fans.
The suggestion forums aren't much better, with half of the posts coming from people who really want their specific sexual kinks and/or malfunctions included in the game to play out their fantasies.
Of course, things are only this way because Larian, much like any other company in this situation, isn't putting out a state of the game address every time they scratch their asses, and people feel entitled to constant updates.

It's been just about 5 weeks since EA release. You all have something like 45-50 more weeks to go. Maybe slow down a little with the exhausting posts where you try to burn everything to the ground out of boredom.
Pace yourselves.

and your reply serves a better purpose?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Thrandarian

Wat.

[Linked Image]

Sure, sure. All of those gamers constantly expressing a desire for older games to be remastered or updated to current generation standards are a fluke.

“This year the utopian candy shell has melted away to expose a hard center of bizarre reality.”
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester

I think a patch per major change + some bugfixes and then several hotfixes until the next big patch would be reasonable.

That's a fair assessment. I still can't help but feel like a slower, more methodical approach would lead to more change in the long run. I admittedly don't have any dev experience, so take that with a grain of salt.

P
stranger
stranger
P
I too wish they at least put out announcements somewhat more frequently

It’s fine though; I have other games I can play until they add in the glorious ooga booga Big bonk class

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T

+1

Remember when one of the patches denied players access to their existing saved games? Anything can happen - much safer to patch early in the week to ensure you have time to fix anything you break (instead of forcing weekend work).

Page 4 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 6 44 45

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard