Next Thread
Print Thread
#733084 12/11/20 01:42 PM
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Ok this bugs me. Like... A lot. Why do they sleep in their armor? When at a party, why don't they change clothes? They spend all day trudging through swamps and exploding goblins. That stuff has to smell.

I played D&D back in 2nd and 3rd editions, and if you slept in your armor you could not become well rested. Making ambushes at night a real thing to fear, as putting your armor on could take a few rounds.

Have a casual outfit selectable from a list or a slot on the equipment screen for "Clothes" and an assortment of outfits that have no armor stats or special abilities that you can use, then just make that the outfit we wear when in camp.

It makes me cringe every time I see my character laying on (not in) a sleeping bag in full plate. I guess Faerun doesn't get cold at night.

journeyman
journeyman
I mean, in my 5e tabletop games it's pretty much been stated that everyone really does smell like shit and are covered in various blood and guts until you actually sleep at an inn or visit an establishment with baths, unless stated otherwise. So sleeping in your armor in the wilderness isn't that upsetting to me, immersion wise. In 5e I've never played with any rules about rests needing to be armor free in order to work, but I've never played any heavily armored class either.
I totally understand your point of view here, though. And I welcome any excuse to play dress up with my characters.

addict
addict
I hope it's just an EA thing until their artists have a moment to spare in casual clothing. I'd love it both for the camp and for some future city bits - maybe you'll need to dress "not like a bunch of smelly mercenaries" to visit some more prestigious places?

Or you could let your vanity flourish and just walk around in BG in fancy clothes... and risk getting into fight while not-quite-ready, haha.

Last edited by Uncle Lester; 12/11/20 04:13 PM.
addict
addict
It's a video game. Creating more animation, more clothing for the characters, is probably up there in the list of relatively costly things to add.

I wouldn't exactly complain if they increase video-realism. Characters could also get their armours bloody after fights, if they were in the front line spilling the blood of the enemies (or losing some of their own). They get their boots and trousers muddy if they walked through mud. If we ever get to go to a fancy event in Baldur's Gate, e.g. we're going to a VIP evening in the ducal palace, to meet and talk with some Duke, it would be great to go shopping for nice clothe before.

But ... I'd much rather they improve the gaming parts before they improve the video parts.

veteran
veteran
I noticed the same thing the OP did and I really like @Uncle Lester's suggestion. I'm hoping that we get meet Cazador at some society function and we will need to dress ourselves accordingly. I hope there are also lots of social skills checks at the party. Time to put that noble background to good use . . .

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
Characters could also get their armours bloody after fights, if they were in the front line spilling the blood of the enemies (or losing some of their own). They get their boots and trousers muddy if they walked through mud.

Swen mentioned once that they are developing a system for grit and grime. So that's coming, just isn't ready yet.

But ... I'd much rather they improve the gaming parts before they improve the video parts.

Sure, but it's done by different teams. Not that I'm saying casual clothing must be priority for artists, but artists won't do much about gameplay mechanics.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
In an ideal world I'd love to pick and choose my 'in-camp' clothes, and have my companions dress in more casual wear. It would be fun to dress for dinner, or decide that I want to pad about in the medieval equivalent of a onesie (which would probably be a potato sack with holes).

However, given that it is so very fluffy and quite niche, I can't see it being a priority for the designers.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester

Sure, but it's done by different teams. Not that I'm saying casual clothing must be priority for artists, but artists won't do much about gameplay mechanics.

Now that you've pointed it, ... ok. I mean, still, if the studio can in any (human-friendly) way allocate more working time or thinking time to gameplay, I'd rather they do that.

But as far as the video team is concerned, after the design artists and animation artists have ensured that characters don't do weird contortions in cutscenes, that they actually face each other, that the camera doesn't show me the scene from behind somebody' back, that the objects people handle (guitar, bottles of wine) are actually displayed and somewhat credibly handled, etc, if they can work on more clothing (and swords on hip, etc), why not.

addict
addict
But as far as the video team is concerned, after the design artists and animation artists have ensured that characters don't do weird contortions in cutscenes, that they actually face each other, that the camera doesn't show me the scene from behind somebody' back, that the objects people handle (guitar, bottles of wine) are actually displayed and somewhat credibly handled, etc, if they can work on more clothing (and swords on hip, etc), why not.

I certainly agree that the things you listed should be the priority, but I wonder if it's also done by the same people as models? I wanted to include more or less what you wrote here in my previous post but I figured there might actually be a division between artists (who make models) and animators (who work on the stuff you listed). Maybe 3D model artists don't actually work with cutscenes etc. Though from what I understand, they're constantly iterating on visual fidelity, I imagine the artists aren't just sitting there pretty with loads of time on their hands. (And hey, more armor won't model itself. And someone should take a look at poor Scratch...)

(That more as an aside/ponderings, I'm not nitpicking on what you wrote.)

N
old hand
old hand
N
I can picture Lae'zel in night gown yeah.

No I can't. But why not.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Nyanko
I can picture Lae'zel in night gown yeah.

With pink fluffy bunny slippers.

M
stranger
stranger
M
At the very least helmets & headwear could be hidden

stranger
stranger
'In-camp' clothes could be a cool addition. On a bit of a smaller scale of feedback, I always figured a similar mechanic for hide helmet would be a really great addition (have the option to have hide helmet on in camp but not on during combat/out-in-the world/etc.) especially because a) I actually like my player's helmet just want to be able to see their face during important camp dialogue b) in terms of immersion, I agree with the being able to properly rest, which doesn't seem as comfortable with armour/a helmet on.

What is the colour of night? Sanguine, my brothers and sisters.
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about the ability to hide helmets. It's pretty much universal that we want the feature.

old hand
old hand
This would be interesting, as long as it was a menu toggle. I really don't see my characters ever sleeping without their armour on in such an open camp. Perhaps if any of them wore heavy armour they would switch to light for sleep, the rest, well it would be assumed they care for their armour and bathe and all that, and wear it the rest of the time.

veteran
veteran
I'd LOVE to be able to pick or set some casual camp-wear!

I don't know about the rest of you, but several of my adventuring characters are quite adamant about finding time to wash and keep themselves clean day to day. Where possible, those characters try to find camp sites that are at least close to a water source if possible, for that and other personal reasons... so being constantly grimy and smelly and dirty is NOT a requirement of being an adventurer... (Some of my characters care far less of course... the more mercenary types...)

I'd really like to have a 'dressed down' appearance for our character and for companions that we could pick and design from what's available, or from a preset list.

Others make a good point, though, that for the most part, light armour wearers don't need to worry about this as much. Heavy armour wearers definitely shouldn't' be sleeping in their plate every night, though. Part of the danger of camping is that you're more vulnerable and, especially for those that rely on heavy armour, are not at your best if you're surprised in the night.

addict
addict
Tbh the camera can travel to show the skybox when characters prepare to go to sleep and suddenly you're problem is addressed and everyone is happy lol.

No, but really I'm totally against it ^^ It's just more clicks. More. And More. If there is no balance around sleep and on highest difficulties Larian admits I can sleep for every encounter so they will just gatling gun my face with magic missiles AND I will have to take care of fluffy pijamas I will eat my keyboard :P

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
veteran
veteran
Things like camp niceties are, by their very definition, intended to be optional things for players who want to mess around with them to add more sense of impact or involvement to their game setting. Even if camp attire or something similar was put in, it would almost certainly be cosmetic, and most definitely an optional thing - playing the game would not hinge on you taking care of it.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
I dunno ... it depends ...
This idea can easily become something cool, aswell as something players will hate with burning pasion.

It takes me back to Dragon Age: Inquisition ...
Personaly i hated those slippers we were wearing at camp. :-/
Especialy for mage characters ... i get that Warrior wanted to get rid of that armor for a while ... even if some characters (Blackwall) were simply wearing different kind of armor instead. :-/ But why mages? They are allready wearing simple light robe ... no armor. laugh

//edit:
And you should not forget that you are sleeping in wild, with litteraly no protection around. :-/
It seems lika good idea to sacrifice comfort and keep your armor to get some protection.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 13/11/20 08:54 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
stranger
stranger
I really like the sound of this it would retain some of the companions character so i dont feel weird about swapping out for example, astarions gear for something with a higher ac or for an advantage in stealth at camp he would still retain his noble appearance and so so forth with the other characters. I dont think that sleeping in full plate would be easy but if they still wanted protection they could strip down to a lighter armour like ringmail or chainmail to be protected and more comfortable.

Link Copied to Clipboard