Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool
Originally Posted by Dheuster
The game definitely has balancing issues IMO. I have a thread on reddit where I talk about how the game is too easy if people use all these non-D&D strategies that are artifacts of the game engine

but steal gold, hit m, portal out is the best bit!

Its interesting how I haven't seen anyone mention potions - which are cheap as hell, but you can just steal anyway. Apply oil of sharpness then binge drink potion of fire resistance, potion of fire breathing, potion of hill giant strength, potion of speed, throw a potion of sleep at an enemy then go to town, that is if you bloated stomach doesn't explode first

Some of the potions are weirdly cheap, I noticed. I tend to just stockpile them and not use them, because I want to have them "when I really need them", and then I never do. They seem mostly good for solo runs.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
I tend to just stockpile them and not use them, because I want to have them "when I really need them", and then I never do. They seem mostly good for solo runs.

Exactly my (everyone's ?) problem with consumables in video games.

They're rare or costly enough that I don't want to use them all the time. But they're also not powerful enough, and I can easily finish the game with my spells and class abilities that are recharged every day for free.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
I tend to just stockpile them and not use them, because I want to have them "when I really need them", and then I never do. They seem mostly good for solo runs.

They're rare or costly enough that I don't want to use them all the time. But they're also not powerful enough, and I can easily finish the game with my spells and class abilities that are recharged every day for free.

Really ? i think the potions in BG III are ridicoulusly strong!
I mean potion of haste ? giant strength and invisibilty potion for example

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Maldurin

I think I didn't formulate my thoughts well enough on that one.

I didn't mean that the potions are weak. I meant that with spells and class abilities alone, I could roll through the game easily enough. So I kept hoarding the potions, for "just in case". I didn't even try the potions you mention, in fact I probably only drank health potions. If the potions are indeed battle changers, they are very unnecessary battle changers.

veteran
veteran
What you ask is not difficulty level OP, what you ask is a normal difficulty level... What we should actually have smile

That's the main problem of the game. Many people find it totally hardcore and others totally easy.

You have to know that BG3 is a game that has incredible cheats.
These cheats are nearly the only things you have to know (+ the basics of D&D) to beat it.

Just try to jump even when engaged to backstab your ennemies without any consequences, eat during combats, dip your weapons in fire, go higher, long rest after every 1 or 2 combats, use the surfaces arrows/potions/cantrip and sometimes a few barrels (they're funny) and you'll easy win.
That's what you have to do to beat this strategy game.

Is that a good summary ?

Last edited by Maximuuus; 12/11/20 07:05 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
1) There will be some sort of difficulty adjustment.
2) I find it interesting that some find the game too hard, while others too easy. No offense to you, but I have soloed the game with 4 different classes. Alice is wrecking the game without leveling up. Yes, a solo Level 1 character. And that is without cheesing the game. So, I hope in the future there are options to make the game easier and harder.
3) Check out my thread on combat for help. https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=722075#Post722075

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RumRunner151
1) There will be some sort of difficulty adjustment.
2) I find it interesting that some find the game too hard, while others too easy. No offense to you, but I have soloed the game with 4 different classes. Alice is wrecking the game without leveling up. Yes, a solo Level 1 character. And that is without cheesing the game. So, I hope in the future there are options to make the game easier and harder.
3) Check out my thread on combat for help. https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=722075#Post722075

That's fun to say "without cheesing the game" then give the link of a guide to cheese the game^^

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
What you ask is not difficulty level OP, what you ask is a normal difficulty level... What we should actually have smile

That's the main problem of the game. Many people find it totally hardcore and others totally easy.

These cheats are nearly the only things you have to know (+ the basics of D&D) to beat it.

Just try to jump even when engaged to backstab your ennemies without any consequences, eat during combats, dip your weapons in fire, go higher, long rest after every 1 or 2 combats, use the surfaces arrows/potions/cantrip and sometimes a few barrels (they're funny) and you'll easy win.

Is that a good summary ?

And yet I can avoid all your "cheats" and still defeat the game with a solo character so what is your point?

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
Originally Posted by MarcoNeves
My characters at level 4 struggle horribly against enemies that should be easy and quick to deal with (like goblin cannon fodder). And, no it's not the build, or lack of armor etc. The Matriarch Phase Spider is insanely difficult. I've never had an RPG register so many misses when attacking with anything other than Magic Missile. And even then, the damage registered is Pitiful (2, 3, and 4 hits) for a total of a Measly 9 hit points on a spider with 130 HP!

I suppose what I am asking for is: an easier difficulty level. Because right now, playing this game is infuriatingly frustrating for me. I like these games for their story.

Thanks so much!

It's elevation. Make sure you're above your enemies, it is as powerful as having permanent greater invisibility on your entire party, I'm not sure why Larian did this, because once you make sure elevation is your primary concern, every fight is pretty easy. If you're in melee, walk around and backstab the opponent

the spider queen is still appropriate for a deadly encounter for a 5th level party, not a 4th level party (theres a HUGE spike in power at 5th level so this is important), but you can cheese it by knocking it off ledges for 40+ damage

Last edited by override367; 12/11/20 09:39 PM.
O
journeyman
journeyman
O

Is that a good summary ?

And yet I can avoid all your "cheats" and still defeat the game with a solo character so what is your point?

Do you have any videos of how to beat the more difficult fights without cheesing any of the larianisms with a solo character? (height/los + poor enemy pursuit AI, Barrelmancy, etc)

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Originally Posted by Dheuster
The game definitely has balancing issues IMO. I have a thread on reddit where I talk about how the game is too easy if people use all these non-D&D strategies that are artifacts of the game engine. Some, like being able to push while invisible without breaking invisibility, are definitely bugs that have not yet been fixed (Makes spider queen real easy). But some like unchaining to skip initiative checks are questionable. Will Larian address them or leave them in? And if they plug some of the holes, will they fix the encounters to be easier?

To me, part of EA and play testing is to see if they made things too easy/too hard. But it is hard to say when there are all these ways to cheese the game. The heat maps mean nothing once users get frustrated and just start cheesing every fight. So until these things are fixed or there is some indication what will and will not be fixed, it is hard to gauge if difficulty is correct or not.

I fully agree with this and IMHO a huge issue with current combat system. The fact that you can horribly cheese any encounter with shove/invis/barrels and just not bother with the D&D combat system is a terrible design issue. This is why some people find game easy while others arent. High ground alone has already gotten people talking and it turns the battle from 100-0 so fast just by itself.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Maldurin
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn

Yeah, I find it funny that so many people complain about the surfaces, specifically fire, when you can buy potions of fire resistance for about a minuscule 20 gold, they're stackable with other potions and they last until long rest. Plus you find a few in the first areas. Everyone dying in the middle of a goblin induced inferno saving their fire resistance potions for "when they really need them."

Last edited by alice_ashpool; 12/11/20 10:27 PM.
addict
addict
That's fun to say "without cheesing the game" then give the link of a guide to cheese the game^^

Just because I don't cheese doesn't mean I can't tell others, plus there is a lot of non-cheese in my guide. If you need to cheese to get through a fight that is frustrating you...why not? Take barrels for example. Larian put them in the game to be used. I can choose not to use them too. If you are having trouble with an encounter and it's frustrating you, why not use them as intended?

Originally Posted by override367
Do you have any videos of how to beat the more difficult fights without cheesing any of the larianisms with a solo character? (height/los + poor enemy pursuit AI, Barrelmancy, etc)

Nope. You can check out youtube videos of others though.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Thank you for this! I'll try to use this when playing again.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Thanks RumRunner!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Gotcha! Thanks so much for the advice!

veteran
veteran

Correction : nope, that doesn't exist...

Shoot/hide/shoot/hide/... is also an another way to cheese the game and to easy beat the AI... The first 10 solo playthrough are full of this and/or of other things I talked about.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad if you enjoy this... You're free to love having common god mode cheats everywhere in a strategy game.

But if it's "so easy to beat the game with a solo character", that's because the game is poorly balanced... Whatever you enjoy it or not.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 13/11/20 08:19 AM.

addict
addict

Correction : nope, that doesn't exist...

Shoot/hide/shoot/hide/... is also an another way to cheese the game and to easy beat the AI... The first 10 solo playthrough are full of this and/or of other things I talked about.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad if you enjoy this... You're free to love having common god mode cheats everywhere in a strategy game.

But if it's "so easy to beat the game with a solo character", that's because the game is poorly balanced... Whatever you enjoy it or not.

Problem is the definition of cheese is very subjective. Is recruiting Halsin Cheese? Is using Halsin's thunderwave to knock minthara into the underdark cheese? Is using the spider companion cheese? Mono RPG definitely doesn't "Shoot/hide/shoot/hide/". So even if you think he cheesed the Minthara fight, there are plenty of others that he doesn't.

To further my point, you say "long rest after every 1 or 2 combats" is cheese. Ok, so all spell casters are cheese and you can only play melee. You say dipping is cheese, what about applying poisons? What about an item that applies poison after healing? Where does it end?

Also this guy beat the game by not killing anyone and he didnt just stealth to the end either: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=733836#Post733836

Bottom line...if yer havin problems, don't keep doing the same thing over an over, try something else.

Last edited by RumRunner151; 14/11/20 04:24 AM.
M
M
Adding my 2 cents I saw a couple of people wrote the game was really hard the first time they played and second playthrough was almost too easy, also watching some gameplay videos there are a fair amount of “oh I did not know that” moment in the middle of people’s playthrough so i believe overall difficulty feel will be shifted a lot for a couple of people once the tutorial is more extensive and the UI is more polished. Also as others i expect Larian to tweak/experiment with the action economy/resting system and nerf some of the existing cheese as well which can radically change the difficulty feel again.
I do like some of the ideas in OP and agree that once most of the rules and tutorial are functioing better then Larian will see more clearly from the feedback where to set toggle options and balance encounters based on difficulty levels. Regarding gameplay toggles it would be nice to see some “hardcore dnd rules” option (where it makes sense and there is demand) but we will see.
Personally im waiting for a simple (?) “cannot save during combat” toggle this made combat in battle brothers super tense because of the RNG which i like (but i understand many dont).

addict
addict

Problem is the definition of cheese is very subjective.

Yeah, pre-buffing and abusing rest was an integral part of bg1 and 2 yet some people seem to thing that anything except wandering up to the person you are going to kill unbuffed and saying hurr durr me kill u now like an 6 int moron is cheese. If this was "real" and the pc kept doing that and miraculously survived i suspect astarion or lae'zel would just murder you in your sleep for endangering their lives.

Last edited by alice_ashpool; 14/11/20 12:21 PM.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard