Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#733088 12/11/20 01:49 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
How are XP divided mong party members?

Does a smaller party level up faster than if the party consists of more members?

old hand
old hand
You don't level up faster when solo. XP is not divided, everyone gets the same amount.

veteran
veteran
Even party members in the camp have the same XP as the main group.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
Mechanically is not even a matter of "everyone gets the same amount".
It's literally "Your MC is the only one getting EXP and everyone else is automatically levelled up to his amount.

On one hand I'm fine with companions autoscaling exp, but on the other hand I'm not sure how to feel about the fact that no matter if you play solo or full party, the amount of XP per-person stays the same.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Well, it´s a party-based game with 4-player-coop. Why make specific code changes for solo players in the EA?

Last edited by _Vic_; 12/11/20 06:21 PM.
Tuco #733222 12/11/20 06:34 PM
D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Tuco
It's literally "Your MC is the only one getting EXP and everyone else is automatically levelled up to his amount.

On one hand I'm fine with companions autoscaling exp, but on the other hand I'm not sure how to feel about the fact that no matter if you play solo or full party, the amount of XP per-person stays the same.

I was wondering about that, on my first playthrough I leveled up with Lae'Zel on the first imp fight. I was playing a Cleric. I chose Ranger for my second playthrough but the first character that leveled up was Gale when he joined me and the Main only leveled up when we rescued Lae'Zel from the cage. Do different classes need more or less XP? I pretty much did the same stuff as my first run, though I didn't kill one or two imps in the control room so perhaps that was way, though, don't know how that gives Gale an extra level.

veteran
veteran
I like the way it is now.
You can play as you want and you can level up companions as you want.

In other games, often you stick with the companions you meet first because you can level them up manually from the start and they often have a higher level than the chars you meet later, when you meet other chars.
If party members are leveled up to your level when you find them you get the game "collect all companions while keeping your level as low as possible".

In BG1+2 I chose which chars I want, collected them ASAP and sticked with the same group until the end.
I used other chars only for their personal quest.
Not sure if this is the those games should be played.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
You don't level up faster when solo. XP is not divided, everyone gets the same amount.

That is stupid.

There s no point in playing with less than a full party.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Originally Posted by Dee_MogII
Originally Posted by Tuco

I was wondering about that, on my first playthrough I leveled up with Lae'Zel on the first imp fight. I was playing a Cleric. I chose Ranger for my second playthrough but the first character that leveled up was Gale when he joined me and the Main only leveled up when we rescued Lae'Zel from the cage. Do different classes need more or less XP? I pretty much did the same stuff as my first run, though I didn't kill one or two imps in the control room so perhaps that was way, though, don't know how that gives Gale an extra level.

Regardless of class I have always reached the same level at the same point in the beginning whenever I do the same thing in the playthroughs.

You get a spike of exp when you recruit Astarion, Shadowheart, Gale, etc. You also get exp from imps and intellect devourers (exceptin' 'Us') at the Mind Flayer ship.

You also get 1 exp from the enthralled humanoids on the Mind Flayer vehicle.

So there are a couple of things you can do to gain or lose out on some exp, which recults in what you experience.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Originally Posted by Mongoose

That is stupid.

Unless you want a challenge.
That said.
I think that is the point.

I just wish Larian limited some item equips and character abilities to specific classes. I kinda dislike that every single class can pick locks and effectively pickpocket.

If anything, it is stupid that the game can be played with a single character efficiently.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E

That is stupid.

Not yet. There was a lone wolf talent in Dos2. I wouldn't be surprised if they implemented something similar in BG3. I haven't seen anything indicating whether or not they will though.

Personally, I like that all my characters are on the same playing field when they enter the party, as well as the fact that I get to choose how they level up past 1, regardless of what level I meet them.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E

Originally Posted by TheOtter

I just wish Larian limited some item equips and character abilities to specific classes. I kinda dislike that every single class can pick locks and effectively pickpocket.

If anything, it is stupid that the game can be played with a single character efficiently.

I haven't messed around with pickpocketing much. Is it really that easy to pull off without having a good DEX/proficiency?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Evandir

I haven't messed around with pickpocketing much. Is it really that easy to pull off without having a good DEX/proficiency?

Only if you don't mind frequent reloads.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by RumRunner151

I generally only reload if I die or the game crashes. If something bad happens... well it sucks to suck.

R
old hand
old hand
R
By the way, they have to adjust the amount of experience gained (or requirements per level). At the moment, it is definitely too much. When we finish act 1 (in full game), we will have about 6-7 lvl which is too high (there will be 3 acts in the game).

Last edited by Rhobar121; 12/11/20 10:45 PM.
T
apprentice
apprentice
T

Originally Posted by TheOtter

Depends a lot on what you are trying to pickpocket, of course.
Certain items are harder to pickpocket, but other items or object (such as gold) can be made easier to pickpocket by splitting it into a smaller amount in the victim's pocket, you will not be roll die to do this.
So a bunch of gold, let us say 1500 pieces, can have a DC of 15 to pickpocket. By splitting that bunch in two, you can lower the DC to 8 for each pile, and you can further split that bunch to lower the DC even more.

Pickpocketing DC seems to be largely based on value of the item.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by RumRunner151

I generally only reload if I die or the game crashes. If something bad happens... well it sucks to suck.

Same here...but there is a reason the term savescumming exists.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
By the way, they have to adjust the amount of experience gained (or requirements per level). At the moment, it is definitely too much. When we finish act 1 (in full game), we will have about 6-7 lvl which is too high (there will be 3 acts in the game).

There's definitely enough XP to reach level 5 in the current version of act 1, but I don't think we'll be able to reach level 6 or 7.
Level 4 is 2700 XP
Level 5 is 6500 XP
Level 6 is 14000 XP

addict
addict

That is stupid.

Sure there is. More of a challenge. Easier time using stealth to its fullest. Going solo would be like going Rambo on the goblins using stealth and intelligence to win. Which is fun.

If going solo also over-leveled you for the content it'd remove the challenge of playing solo in the first place.

Meanwhile if you get tired of playing solo you can easily go back to camp, grab some followers, and head out.

I like it this way. It is flexible. And it means I can freely switch out companions and see who I like without worrying about missing out on exp.

R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by Bukke
Originally Posted by Rhobar121

There's definitely enough XP to reach level 5 in the current version of act 1, but I don't think we'll be able to reach level 6 or 7.
Level 4 is 2700 XP
Level 5 is 6500 XP
Level 6 is 14000 XP

The entire first act is not available in EA. At least three areas are missing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard