Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Tuco #733586 13/11/20 11:16 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
I think the main source of the game being easy right now is poor AI. If they make the AI a lot smarter, some of these encounters could be much tougher.

I think I would absolutely hate for the AI to get "smarter" by leveraging some of the current structural weaknesses of the game, frankly.
Last thing I want is a group of enemies leapfrogging all around my party to avoid AoO and backstab my characters, for instance.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about this until i actually test it.

Tuco #733609 13/11/20 11:44 AM
old hand
old hand

I think I would absolutely hate for the AI to get "smarter" by leveraging some of the current structural weaknesses of the game, frankly.
Last thing I want is a group of enemies leapfrogging all around my party to avoid AoO and backstab my characters, for instance.

They need to separate the jump and disengage for sure. I kind of like the idea of enemies being able to backstab, makes positioning and cover more important.

Zarna #733616 13/11/20 11:48 AM
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Zarna

They need to separate the jump and disengage for sure. I kind of like the idea of enemies being able to backstab, makes positioning and cover more important.

I am glad the community seems to agree 99% disengage should be reworked. It gives me hope for the future of the game.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Originally Posted by VagabondJoeBags

First off, I know this is early access and we have a long way to go but is the game full of tons of unused stuff and not very challenging?

I've put in a good 60 hours or so and it seems that I made though most of chapter 1. What I have found is that I hardly use the inventory and magic in the game. For weapons and armor, sure I use the best that comes along but for potions, poisons, scrolls, and all the other inventory, I rarely use it. I eat food all the time though. For spells, I rarely use those too since I keep thinking that I need to save the for a tough situation when I can't return to camp. The only scroll I use is the one to raise the dead. I do routinely use the cantrips although they tend to be the same ones. Is dipping or knock unconscious even needed for anything?

In the end, I collect a ton of stuff but never need it. I am really surprised how little spells are needed. Perhaps I am not being adventurous enough and not experimenting but the game's challenge should lead me into thinking more.

I know the game is not done and dialing the proper challenge level is to be revised but what do you think? Is it too easy and you don't need much of the inventory and magic offered?

Btw, I am playing a warlock.

Yeah, my first play-through (not my first play-through attempt) was with warlock too. I long rested maybe 3 or 4 times for the whole first act (mainly for healing and I didn't realize that food heals... so I sold all food all the time^^). Thing is, the typical warlock very much relies on eldritch blast as its most reliable damage source. Oddly this results in rarely needing to rest or to use any scroll or other item on a class that has only two spell slots. Simply seek higher ground and blast everything to death... Warlocks are the real Gods of Murder laugh

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by TyPinOwly

First off, I know this is early access and we have a long way to go but is the game full of tons of unused stuff and not very challenging?

I've put in a good 60 hours or so and it seems that I made though most of chapter 1. What I have found is that I hardly use the inventory and magic in the game. For weapons and armor, sure I use the best that comes along but for potions, poisons, scrolls, and all the other inventory, I rarely use it. I eat food all the time though. For spells, I rarely use those too since I keep thinking that I need to save the for a tough situation when I can't return to camp. The only scroll I use is the one to raise the dead. I do routinely use the cantrips although they tend to be the same ones. Is dipping or knock unconscious even needed for anything?

In the end, I collect a ton of stuff but never need it. I am really surprised how little spells are needed. Perhaps I am not being adventurous enough and not experimenting but the game's challenge should lead me into thinking more.

I know the game is not done and dialing the proper challenge level is to be revised but what do you think? Is it too easy and you don't need much of the inventory and magic offered?

Yeah, my first play-through (not my first play-through attempt) was with warlock too. I long rested maybe 3 or 4 times for the whole first act (mainly for healing and I didn't realize that food heals... so I sold all food all the time^^). Thing is, the typical warlock very much relies on eldritch blast as its most reliable damage source. Oddly this results in rarely needing to rest or to use any scroll or other item on a class that has only two spell slots. Simply seek higher ground and blast everything to death... Warlocks are the real Gods of Murder laugh

Yep, I hear ya! Pretty much stuck to eldritch blast myself. Now I restarted the game doing the Sister Christian thing as KNight Ranger... err, Ranger Knight Shield Dwarf to see how the other half lives. (too much ale in the tavern with the bards)

apprentice
apprentice
The issue is that all those varied area layouts, with ladders/platforms/mountains/what you don't have, seem to be working against the ai. The enemies get defeated by tasks like climbing, and yet most combat encounters feature lots of climbing possibilities.

-ash elemental

Sorry to hear that, man.
I haven´t played yet..in fact I have no hardware to play this game..unless I pay some online streaming Stadia, which is not yet available in my country.

Anyway...I agree with general comments above...DOS2 had some memorable combats (so did BG2), and both set the bar high for BG3.
Often times you had to die first to figure out how to handle each combat.
That for me is ok.

yes - teleporting was cool...so was polymorph to chicken..haha...often times the tactic was to teleport enemies right next to my protagonist and then petrify or polymorph,
depending on their defensive weaknesses.

I do remember the final fight of DOS1 being easier than that of DOS2...which was very elaborated indeed.
I read some people still managed to beat the game with ease...not me frown.

Originally Posted by alice_ashpool
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar

Yeah because firing an arrow while stood on a 6 inch step turns the arrow into a stinger missile. REAL LIFE POWERRRRR? In the captain mavel universe maybe. You do realise 9.81 ms^2 doesn't translate into accuracy+damage+awesome+progressive bonus over a 0.09s travel time over 30 feet right? Sorry math is racist I forgot.

i love this post since it tries so hard but since it would be ms^-2 rather than ms^2 its an epic self own

You're both wrong. It's 9.8 m/s^2

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Originally Posted by Osprey39
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar

Yeah because firing an arrow while stood on a 6 inch step turns the arrow into a stinger missile. REAL LIFE POWERRRRR? In the captain mavel universe maybe. You do realise 9.81 ms^2 doesn't translate into accuracy+damage+awesome+progressive bonus over a 0.09s travel time over 30 feet right? Sorry math is racist I forgot.

i love this post since it tries so hard but since it would be ms^-2 rather than ms^2 its an epic self own

You're both wrong. It's 9.8 m/s^2

Nah, it's you who failed. ms^-2 and m/s^2 is the same thing.

old hand
old hand

Kind of wonder if the game was setup this way for EA, since there is no levels of difficulty. The mass amount of scrolls, bombs, barrels, & environmental interactions would be a great way to test combat see how people use such items and general feedback on how they like it.

Off the top of my head I used food/pots the most for first solo play, never did 3/4 of the areas. My multi-play actually ran into a problem with spider boss, my character halfling cleric got shoved off the side early and instant died, our warlock that has 8 con got pummeled like normal and it was pretty much a two-man group Shadowheart and a Shield Dwarf Fighter. It took a lot of scrolls, those purple bombs from the ship, and food. Well that an using our warlock as a target dummy.

Last edited by fallenj; 22/11/20 01:24 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Right now it's early access for this smart, tactically inclined company and they have tossed a smorgasbord of options for the player to do into the game that allows for almost endless choices/approaches. Lots of it is not yet balanced to the point that it will be.

As Larian watches what we choose to do, and how it all works within the D&D ruleset, they will make changes to improve balance, tighten up rules to make it harder to cheese certain things, improve AI to allow fairer contests, and do away with endless camping and other things that make things overly easy.

Hopefully, they will add iron-person modes and allow for various choices in how one chooses to approach the game.

The bones of the game are fantastic, in my opinion, with balancing and tweaking of what now exists, I can see BGIII becoming a platform for endless fun in a wonderfully exciting D&D structure designed to handle endless possibilities. As much as a game system for future modules as it is a stand alone game.

The most obvious good thing Larian brings to the table fall into the category of tactics and strategy. Players who do have difficulties with the game seem to generally be used to the "charge and kill" sort of approach. BGIII absolutely demands advanced planning and organization. The game rewards the player who gets his archer/mages on high ground and sets themselves into position before the fight, and who finds a way to use the lay of the ground and it's accouterments like barrels of oil, water, etc. Replay from a save is looked upon by Larian as "going to happen" to all players. No one marches through this game successfully without a replay or having watched someone else do it. This is meant to be a part of the challenge, and a part of the game's enjoyment.

That is just part of how the game functions, rather than being a flaw. A player becomes more careful, they learn to recon new areas. One tends to husband their life more carefully, and treat the game world more like the real world as far as dealing with natural forces, once they get badly lacquered once or thrice.

It's all rather splendid.

If Larian currently has a weakness, judging from it's past games, it has to do with the abstractions of "living" and "travel" in a world. They seem to be attempting to address this with their new "camp" feature, which I really love. However, we are seeing only the initial bits of this system, and I am hoping it becomes more robust, and much more fleshed out down the road. They need to bring the robust feeling of realism we find in combat, to the place you hang your hat at the end of the day.

Obviously, they are attempting to do just that.

Balls #738033 22/11/20 09:46 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Balls
Right now it's early access for this smart, tactically inclined company and they have tossed a smorgasbord of options for the player to do into the game that allows for almost endless choices/approaches. Lots of it is not yet balanced to the point that it will be.

As Larian watches what we choose to do, and how it all works within the D&D ruleset, they will make changes to improve balance, tighten up rules to make it harder to cheese certain things, improve AI to allow fairer contests, and do away with endless camping and other things that make things overly easy.

Hopefully, they will add iron-person modes and allow for various choices in how one chooses to approach the game.

The bones of the game are fantastic, in my opinion, with balancing and tweaking of what now exists, I can see BGIII becoming a platform for endless fun in a wonderfully exciting D&D structure designed to handle endless possibilities. As much as a game system for future modules as it is a stand alone game.

The most obvious good thing Larian brings to the table fall into the category of tactics and strategy. Players who do have difficulties with the game seem to generally be used to the "charge and kill" sort of approach. BGIII absolutely demands advanced planning and organization. The game rewards the player who gets his archer/mages on high ground and sets themselves into position before the fight, and who finds a way to use the lay of the ground and it's accouterments like barrels of oil, water, etc. Replay from a save is looked upon by Larian as "going to happen" to all players. No one marches through this game successfully without a replay or having watched someone else do it. This is meant to be a part of the challenge, and a part of the game's enjoyment.

That is just part of how the game functions, rather than being a flaw. A player becomes more careful, they learn to recon new areas. One tends to husband their life more carefully, and treat the game world more like the real world as far as dealing with natural forces, once they get badly lacquered once or thrice.

It's all rather splendid.

If Larian currently has a weakness, judging from it's past games, it has to do with the abstractions of "living" and "travel" in a world. They seem to be attempting to address this with their new "camp" feature, which I really love. However, we are seeing only the initial bits of this system, and I am hoping it becomes more robust, and much more fleshed out down the road. They need to bring the robust feeling of realism we find in combat, to the place you hang your hat at the end of the day.

Obviously, they are attempting to do just that.

All of this. Great post.

old hand
old hand
Half of the topics that BG3 is too easy. Half of the topics on "How to Defeat Minotaurs / Beholders / Git Patrols / Etc."

I think the difficulty of the game is okay. It is what normal difficulty should be.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
I must truly be doing something terribly wrong, if the op thinks that this game is too easy? I've come to BG3 from console syle rpgs (Dragon Age, The Witcher, Amalur, etc.) and have never done any turn based games remotely like this one.

In Baldur's Gate 3 I've gotten slaughtered .... a lot!

I am running three characters, or rather attempting to run three. Recently I started an "evil" playthrough and just as I freed Shazza, after having already cleared the Underground Passage goblins out, that damned idol either one-shotted her or other of my party members? Nothing that I've been able to do will allow me to target that thing to try and destroy it?

So, is there a Baldur's Gate 3 for dummies guide somewhere (because, I would really like to blow that idol to kingdom come)?

Last edited by Capt.Wells; 23/11/20 04:32 PM.

“This year the utopian candy shell has melted away to expose a hard center of bizarre reality.”
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Capt.Wells
I must truly be doing something terribly wrong, if the op thinks that this game is too easy? I've come to BG3 from console syle rpgs (Dragon Age, The Witcher, Amalur, etc.) and have never done any turn based games remotely like this one.

I am running three characters, or rather attempting to run three. Recently I started an "evil" playthrough and just as I freed Shazza, after having already cleared the Underground Passage goblins out, that damned idol either one-shotted her or other of my party members? Nothing that I've been able to do will allow me to target that thing to try and destroy it?

So, is there a Baldur's Gate 3 for dummies guide somewhere (because, I would really like to blow that idol to kingdom come)?

The closest thing you mentioned to bg3 is Dragon Age (and even in this series there is a level of difficulty). Don't get discouraged. And you can check this forum's tip section

Last edited by Abits; 23/11/20 04:51 PM.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Capt.Wells

Always use your jump with your melee characters to backstab your ennemies and focus going higher than them with your ranged.

It should be fine if you understand the basics of D&D (modifiers and proficiencies)

Last edited by Maximuuus; 23/11/20 06:10 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O
Credentials: 45 yrs old, played most all the old rpgs(BG1/BG2/ToEE/NWN/etc) also happen to love tactical games(Fallout Tactics/Final Fantasy Tactics/Jagged Alliance/etc). I've never played a Larian game before though and haven't played TT DnD since it was called AD&D. I'm 80 some hours into my first play through and nearly done( I just went down into the Grotto after clearing the Ruined Tower. After the Grotto I need to go speak to the Mindflayer and have it make the potion, and I still need to go back to the Druid Grove cause Halsin is waiting there for me after freeing him(I went straight into the UD after the Goblin City and haven't been back to the Grove yet).

So in my personal opinion, yes the game is super easy atm. Being afraid long rests would result in furthering the ceremorphesis process, I only took 3 long rests during my exploration of the surface world. I did nearly every fight with just cantrips and avoided using abilities that needed short/long rests. The only had 2 fights I had to reload. One was the Spider Boss, and I actually beat that one with just my MC left standing but thought..."Na I can do better" and fought it again. The other was the Goblin Priestess but after winning that one with the help of the giant spiders I reloaded it cause I wanted the spiders left alive for the next fight so I redid the fight without them so I could free them after.

I never exploded a single barrel(nor had any used against me that I remember) and rarely used shove(though I did use it once on the Spider Boss after she warped to right beside Lazeal up on a ledge then turned away from her to spit at a toon below...I was like ok if you are going to turn your back on me and position yourself perfectly, fine than).

What I did do that it seems many don't from reading various posts is scout ahead a lot with invisibility and hide and initiated almost every conflict on my terms with toons set in place before starting. I mean ya if you run right into things and every fight starts with the enemy having advantage then it maybe a lot harder. But going slow and careful can avoid most/all of that.

Personal thoughts on high ground advantage. To me it actually kinda makes sense. There is no cover rules in place in BG3. High ground would allow a person to see the enemy entirely(no cover), while being below something would mean your target is only partially visible because you can only see their head and shoulders. IDK seems like it makes sense to me high ground has an attack advantage.

addict
addict
It's probably about right for what will eventually be "normal mode"; once you have worked out the sorts of options available to you, there are plenty of different ways of dealing with encounters, good for a variety of play-styles.

I would also expect a simpler mode for those focussed only on story interest, and a hardcore mode or two for rules-jockeys.

The times I had wipeouts, testing about 5 playthroughs, were when ( both accidentally and deliberately ) I ran headlong into prepared ambushes; and once when the random element introduced by constant dice rolls just went very badly.

The worst part of the combat experience was that very large fights get very tedious because a 6-second round can take 2-3 minutes. Larian have done a good job removing/altering 5e rules that would make the game experience crawl, but large numbers of participants will always be difficult in turn-based mechanics.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard