Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#732939 12/11/20 07:26 AM
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
I have been playing DnD for many years and I can't recall many depictions of 1 handed swords being worn on backs. I think it works in legend of Zelda, but it looks so weird in Baldur's Gate 3. I'm also a history buff and I'm highly intrigued by weapons and warfare of old. Swords were pretty much, as far as any historical records indicate, never worn on backs. It looks fine for big 2 handed weapons, but it looks so silly 1 handed weapons. I know this is a fantasy game and I am loving it. That being said why rapiers and other smaller swords (smaller than zweihander) on back. Its so dorky and there is no reason for it. History aside, its just highly impractical. Seriously. Get a sword. Put it on your back. Then try to draw it. To me it looks like putting a hat on a foot (why would you do that?). No scabbards makes it easier I suppose but if they are supposed to be hanging from a loop it would end up having the same problem. Kinda ruins immersion because I would never roleplay a character that wields a 1 handed sword on his back, let alone be in a party with anyone who would...I know I will probably get flak for this, and overall this is a small complaint, but I would love to see a rogue carry his rapier(s) on his hip. Please reconsider how characters carry their 1 handed weapons, or maybe even give an option to change it please. I beg you.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
It does seem to be a bit of a fantasy standard. I have a RL hand-and-a-half (an Albion Gallowglass) and while I can't say how that fits into D&D's slightly esoteric categories, it's definitely not a small sword. But in spite of me not being particularly tall (5'7"/171cm) I can wear it from a belt with no problems: it doesn't drag on the ground, I can yank it out of its scabbard etc.

I have slightly mixed feelings about the subject. It's not realistic. On the other hand, I like swords so I like being able to see them, and while they're on my characters' backs I tend to get a better look. So there is that. And the swords are (so far) better done than the usual bejewelled spiky horrors that the fantasy genre is overly fond of...

J'aime le fromage.
addict
addict
The long sword in BG3 is a little long for my tastes, it’s more like a bastard sword (which isn’t inaccurate historically speaking), I just prefer the AD&D bg1/2 variants.

Yes to down by side, I just think scabbards tend to be a pain to do graphically.

Last edited by Riandor; 12/11/20 07:43 AM.
veteran
veteran
I'm not really annoyed by weapons on our back. This is not really "immersion breaking" to me even if it's not "realistic".
What is really a problem according to me is that our shields /secondary weapons just appear and dissapear.

Everything on the back is fine to me, but everything... And maybe it's easier to have melee weapons on hips + bow/quiver/(shield) on our back.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 12/11/20 07:47 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
It's not only swords, the staff in the back looks absolutely STUPID.

Two handed weapons, especially the long sticks (staff and spears and halberd) should ALWAYS be in one hand or two, not attached to back PERIOD. It's sooo silly.

Artists, please stop being lazy and work a little.

Last edited by Lumign; 12/11/20 07:52 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lumign

Two handed weapons, especially the long sticks (staff and spears and halberd) should ALWAYS be in one hand or two, not attached to back PERIOD. It's sooo silly.

Talking about lazyness ... have you tryed to simply click Tab?

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
old hand
old hand
Nothing looks dumber than when you are wielding a lit torch, and your character just casually puts that burning torch on their back, lit end down.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Lumign

Talking about lazyness ... have you tryed to simply click Tab?

I just tried.

And you know what?

Right when I decide to cast a spell the staff goes back to the back.

Is it some kind of homage to World of Warcraft or just "We don't have time to make spellcasting animation with staff/weapon in one hand, we'll just make the staff magnetically stick to the back"?

*It certainly is not because of DnD 5e rules : you need only ONE free hand to cast spells with somatic components.

Last edited by Lumign; 12/11/20 09:59 AM.
veteran
veteran
Yes definitely. And they already put knives on the hip, so why not longswords as well (at the very least)?

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Tuv Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Going a little further, having a belt with items visibly represented could be interesting.
We could have weapons and items attached. For visual clues but also to directly target items (alchemist fire) dangling off a goblins belt or shoot and dislodge a weapon the same way.

Some enemies have things like this already and to shoot a flask lying around with a bow already works well and feels great.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
It's ironic that they don't cast spells using their staff... since staffs are ARCANE FOCI! They are supposed to use it to cast their spells!

I really loath the staff on back too

old hand
old hand
I have never tried it and probably don't have much of a spatial/kinetic sense but wouldn't a sword on the back be completely possible as long as you have a sheath that can swing outward from the body when you start drawing the sword?

Also a point for thought -- I know swords weren't carried on backs in any kind of combat situation but I always figured it would be the most comfortable placement for long swords when marching and not expecting to have to use it.

These are both really side thoughts though. I agree that it would be nice if swords were on the belt. Axes and clubs and such even more.

Originally Posted by Riandor
The long sword in BG3 is a little long for my tastes, it’s more like a bastard sword (which isn’t inaccurate historically speaking), I just prefer the AD&D bg1/2 variants.

Yes to down by side, I just think scabbards tend to be a pain to do graphically.

Bastard swords count as Longswords in 5th ed terms.

Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Nothing looks dumber than when you are wielding a lit torch, and your character just casually puts that burning torch on their back, lit end down.

Is that a fire in your pants or are you just happy to see me?

Optimistically Apocalyptic
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Dexai
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies

Is that a fire in your pants or are you just happy to see me?

Reminds me of the famous last words of Joan of Arc: "lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire."

Edit: I feel I should point out this was a University Challenge question so it's totes legit.

Last edited by vometia; 12/11/20 03:08 PM.

J'aime le fromage.
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by vometia
Reminds me of the famous last words of Joan of Arc: "lawks-a-lordy, my bottom's on fire."

She was evidently a victim of arson.

stranger
stranger
It would make me immensely happy to see my wizard using their staff as a walking stick and using it as a focus for their magic.
Imagine how cool it would look preparing a firebolt in one hand while brandishing their staff in the other. Also it looks so stupid when a cleric smashes their mace onto their back imo it would look much better on their hip from both a style and functional perspective

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I'm not really annoyed by weapons on our back. This is not really "immersion breaking" to me even if it's not "realistic". .

I don't even make it an issue of realism or immersion.
I just find it ugly as shit.
Like horned helms.

And giant pauldrons, of course. Never forget those.

Last edited by Tuco; 13/11/20 09:00 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I'm not really annoyed by weapons on our back. This is not really "immersion breaking" to me even if it's not "realistic". .

I don't even make it an issue of realism or immersion.
I just find it ugly as shit.
Like horned helms.

And giant pauldrons, of course. Never forget those.

This.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
[Linked Image]

between 160 cm and 180 cm , ya not gonna hang that on your hip :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjURzgkCuAE&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=Skallagrim

they where caring it on shoulder

but this is not REALITY its a fantasy game. aka "Hollywood style" is mandatory

I don't want my fantasy game to be real.

maybe you should wonder where do I put the 70 barrels am carrying.

I know you talking about 1 handed swords but , it look badass "Hollywood style" and "most" people like that

and it good for adventuring.

Last edited by Evil_it_Self; 14/11/20 12:40 AM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
veteran
veteran
Honestly where they are carried is almost secondary to the fact that we should get fucking scabbards/laces.
And yeah, of course the big ones aren't going to the hip....

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by countcalcifer
I have been playing DnD for many years and I can't recall many depictions of 1 handed swords being worn on backs. I think it works in legend of Zelda, but it looks so weird in Baldur's Gate 3. I'm also a history buff and I'm highly intrigued by weapons and warfare of old. Swords were pretty much, as far as any historical records indicate, never worn on backs. It looks fine for big 2 handed weapons, but it looks so silly 1 handed weapons. I know this is a fantasy game and I am loving it. That being said why rapiers and other smaller swords (smaller than zweihander) on back. Its so dorky and there is no reason for it. History aside, its just highly impractical. Seriously. Get a sword. Put it on your back. Then try to draw it. To me it looks like putting a hat on a foot (why would you do that?). No scabbards makes it easier I suppose but if they are supposed to be hanging from a loop it would end up having the same problem. Kinda ruins immersion because I would never roleplay a character that wields a 1 handed sword on his back, let alone be in a party with anyone who would...I know I will probably get flak for this, and overall this is a small complaint, but I would love to see a rogue carry his rapier(s) on his hip. Please reconsider how characters carry their 1 handed weapons, or maybe even give an option to change it please. I beg you.

Last edited by fallenj; 13/11/20 11:02 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard