Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#734015 14/11/20 02:21 AM
OP Offline
Mysterious magic items - When magic items are found on the world map, the characters don't know what they can do. They just know it's a magic weapon, armor, etc. This would allow the Identify spell to be used. Perhaps allow it to not use a spell slot (ritual cast), but it still needs to be learned and prepared for the day. Even some vendors may not know what an item they have does, so you can have a mix of known magic items, for their full price, then unknown ones, which are at a significantly reduced price.

apprentice
apprentice
This would open the door for cursed items too. Cursed items in D&D aren't identified as cursed, the PC doesn't find out they're cursed until they wear them and attune them.

OP Offline
Yup. smile One of the reasons for the suggestion. In pnp you need to be very careful of what magic items you just put on willy nilly. Here, it tells you right from the start what they do, so the characters know. I like that aspect of risk. :P

OP Offline
If Identify is cast on the magic item, it will show as cursed, however.

veteran
veteran
I'd LOVE to have something like indentify in the game.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Probably they think identify or cursed items are not fun in a video game and they'd rather have you blowing up more barrels instead.

enthusiast
enthusiast
While they aren't cursed items in the traditional PnP sense, the game still has a handful of malicious items that will turn against its user/wearer when certain conditions are met.

• The Necromancy tome which will reduce your ability score (I think it's either Intelligence or Wisdom) if you try to uncover the book's dark secrets but fail the associated skill check
  • The hag's mask which will possess your character if you put it on
  • The gloves of the absolute or whatever their name is. These magic gloves will apply Bane to any enemy you hit if you're branded with the mark of the absolute, but if you don't have the mark and still try to use the gloves, you'll be the one getting Bane'd instead.

While I don't know if we'll get 'real' cursed items I'd say it certainly seems like the game isn't opposed to the idea of handing you items that will work against you.

addict
addict
I disagree. This is one of the most annoying parts of the originals and of DOS. There is no reason to waste my time as a player to make things take extra time with no real benefit.

Back from timeout.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by benbaxter
I disagree. This is one of the most annoying parts of the originals and of DOS. There is no reason to waste my time as a player to make things take extra time with no real benefit.

It makes the magic items more exciting when they are mysterious and not just +x to this and that kind of gear anyone can see.

It gives Wizards more character or class identity. And Bards, and any other character associated with magic and knowledge. Clerics of Mystra. Makes those characters useful to the party in a specific way when you don't have to rely on NPC's for indentify.

I get it, some players like a more casual fun experience. But small details like this also make the game world complete and immersive. I'd like it to be a factor.

Fighter finds a cool looking sword with arcane markings and goes to the Wizard to ask what it does. Wizard ciphers the runes that mean "Fiery death to the Jotun" and the command word that ignites the blade in flames. Classic D&D. An obvious +1d4 fire damage is boring in comparison.

journeyman
journeyman
I can just see Gale saying "No, this is useless, you don't want it." and then eat it.

addict
addict
This is a weak theory, but perhaps identification system like in the original games is planned, just not implemented yet due to the lack of ritual casting?

Link Copied to Clipboard