Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
So I see posts by users talking about how they get horrible rolls and damage and that there is something wrong with the game.

I believe the issue may be that when fighting in the dark, some races like Gith and Humans (Laz, Gale, possibly the protagist) can't see in the dark, so they attack with a disadvantage in dark places. But depending on a users brightness/contrast settings, it may not be obvious that this is happening. While you could put a disadvantage status icon or something on an NPC, it may not be obvious WHY they are at disadvantage. (Is it height? Is it light? Is it a spell effect?, etc...).

Other useful combat banter would also be welcome. "I need healing!", "I can barely see in here!", "I'm blind!", "I can't move!", "My weapon does nothing!", etc... Obviously not when inside a silence bubble. =)

addict
addict
That's a really nice idea.

veteran
veteran
You could still see "..." when someone's lips are moving inside a silence zone.

Voice lines could sometimes play while you contemplate your turn. I like it.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I hadn't thought about that, but it does seem like a neat little quality of life improvement that wouldn't take too much to add.

veteran
veteran
Also, the mouse cursor could turn red when you are attacking with disadvantage for more feedback. And green when you have advantage.

journeyman
journeyman
+1
I really like this idea smile

“There is only one thing we say to Death:
Not today.”
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
I am in favour of anything that adds interaction, but I believe that voice acting is a significant expense for the developers.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I mean, if they can comment on the harpies magical song they could comment on these points for sure! Yeah, voice dialogue is expensive but just a couple of lines will suffice.

addict
addict
I think more transparency is needed. They have a little % circle and sometimes it gives valuable info, but only sometimes. You should be able to see everything that is helping or hurting your attack.

enthusiast
enthusiast
+1
Like tt, could help some people understand the mechanics.

N
old hand
old hand
N
And there should be banter lines for elves and drows like 'Useless...' or 'I just don't see what you're talking about' laugh

Last edited by Nyanko; 14/11/20 09:27 PM.
P
addict
addict
P
I think this would be a nice idea, but first I'd like the whole light and shadows mechanics to get a bit of fixing.

I recently had the experience of trying to fight a giant spider, this giant spider was in a dark cave, so it would shrouded in shadows, makes sense. So i cast light on my fighter's weapons, thinking "this'll light up the area, and surely help them fight that beasty" No dice, still shadows. Then I had the bright (heh) idea of pouring fire underneath the enemy. Can't be in shadows if your're on fire right? Yeah, it was still in shadow.

Cue the rest of us flailing ineffectively while lit up and on fire, while Astarion, being the only party member with darkvision, actually killed the thing.

Not even going to go into the whole silence not working right half the time issue.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Piff
Cue the rest of us flailing ineffectively while lit up and on fire, while Astarion, being the only party member with darkvision, actually killed the thing.

smile LOL...

Last edited by Dheuster; 15/11/20 05:43 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Its a good idea, easy and simple way to convey disadvantages

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Piff
I think this would be a nice idea, but first I'd like the whole light and shadows mechanics to get a bit of fixing.

I recently had the experience of trying to fight a giant spider, this giant spider was in a dark cave, so it would shrouded in shadows, makes sense. So i cast light on my fighter's weapons, thinking "this'll light up the area, and surely help them fight that beasty" No dice, still shadows. Then I had the bright (heh) idea of pouring fire underneath the enemy. Can't be in shadows if your're on fire right? Yeah, it was still in shadow.

Not even going to go into the whole silence not working right half the time issue.

This has also been my experience. Throw a lit torch at an enemy's feet? Obscured by shadows.

addict
addict
I still have no idea how lighting works in this game with the broken cantrips, strange mismatches between what you see on screen and what the game tells you, darkvision, improved darkvision, torches, circles of burning oil, people on fire, the whole thing seems quite bugged out at the moment.

veteran
veteran
I've found that the direction your character is facing affects lighting.
Scenario: light cast on your weapon.
Directly facing the enemy? Enemy is in darkness.
Facing 90 degrees away from the enemy, so that your right side (weapon hand) is pointed toward the enemy? Enemy is in light.

Link Copied to Clipboard