Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by A Clown
I would feel less bad about killing him then sending him back to Cazador.

He says that he prefers slavery to death - apparently he even prefers becoming a mind flayer to death - so I'm just doing him a favor, right?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by JesusDied
[
Also, since we are on topic in regards to Astarion. I recall an article that mentioned a very interesting bit about Astarion's life prior to vampirsim.
Apparently he was a disgraced nobleman who became a magistrate as just a cover. In reality he was smuggling prisoners to vampires. After he became "too corrupt" even for vampires, vampires ended up making a scheme with Cazador to take him down. Hence how he ended up enslaved by him.

Now, I'm not sure if this backstory still stands for Astarion, or was it changed by now. However, if we do follow this, then in all honesty he is the last person to talk about the importance of being allowed to chose.
Since he was basically a glorified slaver himself before his downfall.
If this is still meant to be his backstory prior to Cazador, that is.

Well deserved fate then.

A Clown Offline OP
OP Offline
[/spoiler] I'm just referring to the time you first find out hes a vampire and he states that he only drinks animal blood, I dont know if he was lying or something, [spoiler]

He is not lying about an animal bit, but he is about the reasons behind it. Which you can call him out on if you had DT activated.
He is making it seem as if he is feeding on animals by choice because he is not "a monster" or doesn't want to be one. In truth, he was forced to do it by his master, and him trying to feed on you is him testing out how "free" is he from his master now.

Also, since we are on topic in regards to Astarion. I recall an article that mentioned a very interesting bit about Astarion's life prior to vampirsim.
Apparently he was a disgraced nobleman who became a magistrate as just a cover. In reality he was smuggling prisoners to vampires. After he became "too corrupt" even for vampires, vampires ended up making a scheme with Cazador to take him down. Hence how he ended up enslaved by him.

Now, I'm not sure if this backstory still stands for Astarion, or was it changed by now. However, if we do follow this, then in all honesty he is the last person to talk about the importance of being allowed to chose.

Hot damn I'm really considering killing this asshole or sending him back to Cazador,

I'm kinda bummed that he was "evil" from the start, really thought he had potential, but from the way you described that article it seems that he was never a good egg.

old hand
old hand
Hot damn I'm really considering killing this asshole or sending him back to Cazador,

I'm kinda bummed that he was "evil" from the start, really thought he had potential, but from the way you described that article it seems that he was never a good egg.

Don't worry, you can trust him. He says so. Right before he kills you (maybe).

To be clear, I still enjoy the character and my PCs drag him around everywhere, but unless something changes he's probably getting dumped on full release.

stranger
stranger

As I previously said, I'm not sure if Larian is still going for this backstory when it comes to Astarion, but this seems to have been the case for demo version back in Februray. Here is the full quote in regards to that:
" In this case, we were shown Astarion, who seemed like a real asshole. A disgraced nobleman who used his position as a local magistrate to serve a vampire clan by feeding them prisoners, he was eventually too corrupt even for them and was effectively sent to serve as the personal slave of a powerful vampire. Astarion has the affected sophistication of a true decadent, like one of Richard E. Grant's less likable characters."

And you can read the rest of that article here.

So, if this backstory is still valid and unchanged, then in all honesty I can't say that I feel bad for what has happened to Astarion. If anything, what happened to him is very ironic.

A Clown Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel

Don't worry, you can trust him. He says so. Right before he kills you (maybe).

To be clear, I still enjoy the character and my PCs drag him around everywhere, but unless something changes he's probably getting dumped on full release.

As I previously said, I'm not sure if Larian is still going for this backstory when it comes to Astarion, but this seems to have been the case for demo version back in Februray. Here is the full quote in regards to that:
" In this case, we were shown Astarion, who seemed like a real asshole. A disgraced nobleman who used his position as a local magistrate to serve a vampire clan by feeding them prisoners, he was eventually too corrupt even for them and was effectively sent to serve as the personal slave of a powerful vampire. Astarion has the affected sophistication of a true decadent, like one of Richard E. Grant's less likable characters."

And you can read the rest of that article here.

So, if this backstory is still valid and unchanged, then in all honesty I can't say that I feel bad for what has happened to Astarion. If anything, what happened to him is very ironic.

Interesting aritcle thank you!!!

I do enjoy dragging him around, and like the snarky comments he makes, I even kind of adored his little romance sequence, I just felt like he had a little soft boy side!

So I'm really hoping that he doesnt have that slaver background, I enjoy a corrupt route (especially for my own characters) but that's just way too evil man!

So yeah like you said, if there is no change I'd enjoy sending him back

Last edited by A Clown; 14/11/20 09:40 PM.
stranger
stranger
So I'm really hoping that he doesnt have that slaver background, I enjoy a corrupt route (especially for my own characters) but that's just way too evil man!

Well, they did say that this ea is meant for evil playtesting and that companions init fit that alignment (minus Gale who wasn't even meant to be a part of this ea originally).
Also, if we are to assume that backstory in regards to Astarion is still valid, it would honestly explain why Gur ambushed him in the first place. Think about it for a second. Why would Gur care to ambush some magistrate? Their job is killing monsters, not corrupt nobles. Them being tipped (most likely by Cazador who was setting Astarion up) that Astarion is working with vampires, would be something that Gur would care about enough to ambush Astarion as they did.
Also (in my opinion), this type of background for Astarion would help with making the whole Cazador case feel less one-sided. Cazador might not be the greatest man and is clearly an asshole, but Astarion would be no better than him in this case. Which would lead to the question of do you wish to support evil like Cazador just because Astarion is not sunshine himself. Or, will you still help Astarion even though he is no better than his master?
All I know is that I'm not even talking to that man without having DT (Detect Thoughts) activated. Since this seems to be the only way to get an actual truth out of this man. Like when he was trying to make himself look good by claiming that he only kills animals because he is no monster. DT reveals the actual truth behind that reason and you get to call him out on that.

In short: Whatever or no that part about his background still stands, Astarion is still full of sh*t and he is not to be trusted at all.

journeyman
journeyman
Well, they did say that this ea is meant for evil playtesting and that companions init fit that alignment (minus Gale who wasn't even meant to be a part of this ea originally).
Also, if we are to assume that backstory in regards to Astarion is still valid, it would honestly explain why Gur ambushed him in the first place. Think about it for a second. Why would Gur care to ambush some magistrate? Their job is killing monsters, not corrupt nobles. Them being tipped (most likely by Cazador who was setting Astarion up) that Astarion is working with vampires, would be something that Gur would care about enough to ambush Astarion as they did.
Also (in my opinion), this type of background for Astarion would help with making the whole Cazador case feel less one-sided. Cazador might not be the greatest man and is clearly an asshole, but Astarion would be no better than him in this case. Which would lead to the question of do you wish to support evil like Cazador just because Astarion is not sunshine himself. Or, will you still help Astarion even though he is no better than his master?
All I know is that I'm not even talking to that man without having DT (Detect Thoughts) activated. Since this seems to be the only way to get an actual truth out of this man. Like when he was trying to make himself look good by claiming that he only kills animals because he is no monster. DT reveals the actual truth behind that reason and you get to call him out on that.

In short: Whatever or no that part about his background still stands, Astarion is still full of sh*t and he is not to be trusted at all.

Yeah do you want to get stabbed in the back once he can go have his own coven and all?
Anyways, you might not have seen this, but the Gur will actually say a different name, when you question him with speak with the dead and disguise - youtube vid for reference.
Maiden Fel

So I am not entirely sure if Cazador is still in fact behind this,...

I am aware of this backstory and even with that, it doesn't explain the 'poem' on his back.
Maybe that will make his character even more sinister...

Last edited by Vamathi; 14/11/20 10:24 PM.

“There is only one thing we say to Death:
Not today.”
A Clown Offline OP
OP Offline

Welp guess I'll have to obsess over a new companion, I really hope they dont build up his entire arc and romance only to have him stab you in the back, I understand it's for all the evil playthroughs etc. But itll still be kinda disappointing

journeyman
journeyman
Welp guess I'll have to obsess over a new companion, I really hope they dont build up his entire arc and romance only to have him stab you in the back, I understand it's for all the evil playthroughs etc. But itll still be kinda disappointing

Do be fair I can see Astarion, if he doesn't get corrupted by Absolute and power hunt wanting an out of being a vampire completely. The main reason, that I see is his clear enjoyment from the sun.
I can imagine he should be partly concious, that being a vampire seems like and evil mindset loop.
I could see how a player could convince him to give it up, if it becomes an option (kinda unlikely, but with the involvement of gods in the plot...).
Also, they kinda said, that you have a chance to build relationship with any of the characters.
I believe that there must a be a way that Astarion just stays with you, otherwise why even make him Origin character and playable by players?

Not today.”
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Vamathi
Anyways, you might not have seen this, but the Gur will actually say a different name, when you question him with speak with the dead and disguise - youtube vid for reference.
Maiden Fel

Can't say I saw this before (interesting), although I was talking about Gur incident that took place right before he became a vampire. That one was clearly a setup that was most likely done by Cazador since his timing was too convenient.
it doesn't explain the 'poem' on his back.

I saw some claim that a tiefling mc will comment on it and claim that is of fiendish origin. I don't know in which instances does this trigger though. I had him naked and my tiefling mc didn't say a damn thing about the thing on his back. I assume it happens if you romance him? Can't confirm since I didn't romance him, or anyone in general in either of my playthroughs.
Either way, it is clear that his "poem" has something to do with the devil rather than just mere vampires.

I saw some datamined sound files in which he is talking as...selfless guy? Like, he was telling you that you should help people no matter what. Which was a very un-Astarion thing to say. If this is anything to go by, then it seems that perhaps we will be able to affect our companions' alignments with our actions.

A Clown Offline OP
OP Offline

Do be fair I can see Astarion, if he doesn't get corrupted by Absolute and power hunt wanting an out of being a vampire completely. The main reason, that I see is his clear enjoyment from the sun.
I can imagine he should be partly concious, that being a vampire seems like and evil mindset loop.
I could see how a player could convince him to give it up, if it becomes an option (kinda unlikely, but with the involvement of gods in the plot...).
Also, they kinda said, that you have a chance to build relationship with any of the characters.
I believe that there must a be a way that Astarion just stays with you, otherwise why even make him Origin character and playable by players?

My thoughts exactly, I'm really hoping he ends up being a little asshole instead of a massive asshole!

Maiden Fel

Can't say I saw this before (interesting), although I was talking about Gur incident that took place right before he became a vampire. That one was clearly a setup that was most likely done by Cazador since his timing was too convenient.
it doesn't explain the 'poem' on his back.

I saw some claim that a tiefling mc will comment on it and claim that is of fiendish origin. I don't know in which instances does this trigger though. I had him naked and my tiefling mc didn't say a damn thing about the thing on his back. I assume it happens if you romance him? Can't confirm since I didn't romance him, or anyone in general in either of my playthroughs.
Either way, it is clear that his "poem" has something to do with the devil rather than just mere vampires.

I saw some datamined sound files in which he is talking as...selfless guy? Like, he was telling you that you should help people no matter what. Which was a very un-Astarion thing to say. If this is anything to go by, then it seems that perhaps we will be able to affect our companions' alignments with our actions.

That is very unlike astarion he hates it when you help people! I wonder what that means!

I guess we will just have to wait for the game to be released to get all the answers!

But it's so hard to be patient its such a fun game already!

enthusiast
enthusiast
I guess he says selfless lines when we choose him as origin.

old hand
old hand
Maiden Fel

Astarion tells you that Cazador probably hired the guy through an intermediary. I'm more confused about how the monster hunter didn't recognize his target when he was talking to him. Then again, monster hunters - and people in general - seem very bad at spotting vampires in this game.

I assume it happens if you romance him?

Yup, only if you choose him at the party.

I saw some datamined sound files in which he is talking as...selfless guy? Like, he was telling you that you should help people no matter what.

Those might be lines for when you play him as an origin character. You can probably shape his personality to be more altruistic.

Banned
Banned
[/spoiler] I'm just referring to the time you first find out hes a vampire and he states that he only drinks animal blood, I dont know if he was lying or something, [spoiler]

He is not lying about an animal bit, but he is about the reasons behind it. Which you can call him out on if you had DT activated.
He is making it seem as if he is feeding on animals by choice because he is not "a monster" or doesn't want to be one. In truth, he was forced to do it by his master, and him trying to feed on you is him testing out how "free" is he from his master now.

Man. As if the hunter situation wasn't already the reverse of selling out Fenris in DA2. Imma always recruit him just to make sure gur gets him

Last edited by Innateagle; 15/11/20 12:02 AM.
journeyman
journeyman

Cazador's poem has been transcribed.
The problem is that there isn't really dictionary for infernal, so hard to know if we learn anything more about it in early access... My bet is no.

Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
Astarion tells you that Cazador probably hired the guy through an intermediary. I'm more confused about how the monster hunter didn't recognize his target when he was talking to him. Then again, monster hunters - and people in general - seem very bad at spotting vampires in this game.

Sure. Astarion might be right. But I hardly believe everything he says.
The entire hunter encounter doesn't make sense, as you mentioned, the hunter doesn't recognize him, but Cazador is clearly smart enough to call in a favor from
Maiden Fel? And the reason? Even monsters have nightmares? Is this Maiden Fel just leader of his 'gur' people?
To me this sounds possibly like another plot.

Not today.”
old hand
old hand

His enjoyment of the sunshine and stars are the only bits of hope I see. On the other hand, they may just be marking him as an inveterate hedonist.

The hunter might not recognize him because he meets Astarion during the day. Vampire spawn are not supposed to be able to walk in daylight so that makes sense. The hunter is not aware that Astarion has a tadpole making him non-allergic to sunlight.

ps. I prefer no redemption arc for Astarion. Some characters should just remain irredeemable.

Last edited by Moirnelithe; 15/11/20 07:35 PM.
A Clown Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Moirnelithe
The hunter might not recognize him because he meets Astarion during the day. Vampire spawn are not supposed to be able to walk in daylight so that makes sense. The hunter is not aware that Astarion has a tadpole making him non-allergic to sunlight.

ps. I prefer no redemption arc for Astarion. Some characters should just remain irredeemable.

Though I wholeheartedly agree with some characters should not have a redemption arc,

especially for players who want to keep an evil play through

I feel like it would be nice to have an option on whether to help redeem a character or keep them "corrupted"

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Moirnelithe
The hunter might not recognize him because he meets Astarion during the day.

Any monster hunter who lets their guard down so completely that they don't recognize their vampire mark - red eyes, pointed teeth, pale skin and all - simply because it's daytime is a monster hunter who probably won't live long. And this one doesn't.

I wouldn't be as invested in a redemption arc if our selection of male love interests wasn't limited to Gale, Astarion and - apparently -

Minsc.

Which, if Astarion is purely and forever evil, just leaves my all characters playing tug-of-war with Mystra over Gale. I'd like at least one other option.

Last edited by Tarlonniel; 15/11/20 08:01 PM.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard