Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
addict
OP Offline
addict
If I wanted to play a hidden object game, I would get a Denny's kid's menu.

The alt button needs to show me everything my characters can see, not just a random smattering of items that don't seem to have any real rhyme or reason. The point of the tab key in the originals was to show me all the things on the screen that were small or hidden because my characters knew it was there. It wasn't my job to get a magnifying glass out to verify if those 5 pixels were an item or a rock. Though sometimes it was the rock that just happened to have a secret compartment that my characters found.

Please make this button consistently show me the items/traps/secrets that my characters have found.

Back from timeout.
enthusiast
enthusiast
+1
Passing a perception check while exploring should absolutely highlight whatever it is you just found.
A lot of the time when moving into a new area I've focused my camera slightly in front of my party so that I can see what's ahead of me. If my characters spot something I only notice it because of the dice rolling sound, but in many of the cases I have no idea what it was they discovered.

veteran
veteran
Yep the highlight needs to reveal everything you can see. Especially the hidden stuff that was revealed with a successful perception check. Many times when you succeed you have no idea what you discovered.

And also the reverse is true. Don't show me secret rooms, locations or creatures I can't see.

Banned
Banned
So true.

The engine is wierd in general. In the crypt where you find the wannabe-cool wannabe-mysterious Lich for example, you can see the chamber and his coffin if you scroll enough.
Pfffffffffffffff.
That should not be.

And also - failed perception checks for all partymembers can be really frustrating.
If any I would like an option to just infinitely throw perception checks on certain objects.

Just an hour ago or so I was under the defiled Temple of Selune again.
And I was in front of the entrance to the Underdark behind the chamber of a certain disgusting Goblin Priestess.
And all my four homies failed the check.

English is actually not my first language.
And my general playstile perception is not "good" enough to understand how to solve the puzzle with the plates on the ground.
But I already know where the lever is who just opens the doorway from my first playthrough.
It feels VERY DUMB to not be able to discover it by choice.

Like facepalming level dumb which inniates a nuke explosion.
And my burned out Boomer-Coomer perception is not smart enough to notice, where in the NineHells I have failed to notice how to solve the puzzle with the floor-plates.

If they fail the check.
This door is lost to me and I would have to jump down where the Phasing-Spiderqueen was.
Even though I know where the entrance is.
And this feels not good.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by benbaxter

The point of the tab key in the originals was to show me all the things on the screen that were small or hidden because my characters knew it was there. It wasn't my job to get a magnifying glass out to verify if those 5 pixels were an item or a rock. .

Look who never played original Baldur's Gate 1

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool

The point of the tab key in the originals was to show me all the things on the screen that were small or hidden because my characters knew it was there. It wasn't my job to get a magnifying glass out to verify if those 5 pixels were an item or a rock. .

Oh man, was that not always a thing? I've played it about 10 times throughout the years so I must have had mod that added it in way back. I know the mod that upgraded it to the BG2 engine had the tab highlighting. I must have scrubbed the original from my brain, the only time I can recall having trouble finding something from my original playthroughs was the tiny area you had to pop open to get Balduran's helm (whatever it was called).

Back from timeout.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool

Oh man, was that not always a thing? I've played it about 10 times throughout the years so I must have had mod that added it in way back. I know the mod that upgraded it to the BG2 engine had the tab highlighting. I must have scrubbed the original from my brain, the only time I can recall having trouble finding something from my original playthroughs was the tiny area you had to pop open to get Balduran's helm (whatever it was called).

Actually, it was ToB that added it. Learned just a couple days ago, I've always played BG2 with ToB and I played BG1 for the first time before my current BG2 playthrough (I was in for a nasty no-tab surprise... though I learned to scan for containers surprisingly quickly).

Link Copied to Clipboard