Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Originally Posted by millenialboomer
I don't want any house rules. Can I please have a version of 5E that simply implements 5E: house rules are always a bad idea in a game as playtested as this.

I want house rules. I don't want to have to find diamonds to raise the dead. Heck, I don't want any spell components. I don't want to spend hours scribing new spells or to made to chase down the ink and paper to scribe them.

What I don't want is the presumption that the rules don't port well to video games and need to be improved. And I certainly don't want the devs to think they have advice on how to improve D&D. The house rules should be in line with the sort of house rules that other D&D games have implemented.

Yes exactly; no one would complain about Larian extrapolating spell components away to mere flavor text, gp, or whatever.

Presupposing the rules don't work in a videogame, especially because they so obviously work really well as evidenced by the success of Solasta (a janky, indie, labor of love to 5E), is an arrogant mistake.

Originally Posted by Sludge Khalid
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies

Just to explain some of DnD5e in case you don’t know. 99% of the spells forces a saving throw.

I love when someone says something super smug and sassy like "just to explain some of DnD5e in case you don't know" . . . and then follows it with something completely incorrect.

I love when someone says that something is completely incorrect but don’t bring the arguments over the table. Please, share with the community the spells that have an spell attack property and target the target AC instead of forcing a saving throw.

See you later

He was attacking your hyperbole of exactly 99%, not your essential statement that most spells require a saving throw. I haven't even checked, but I'm pretty sure that you're correct. That being said, his attack was in bad faith because I think everyone understood your premise.

addict
addict
I love when someone says that something is completely incorrect but don’t bring the arguments over the table. Please, share with the community the spells that have an spell attack property and target the target AC instead of forcing a saving throw.

See you later

Inflict wounds, Scorching Ray, Fire Bolt, Ray of Frost, Eldrich Blast, Witch Bolt, Ray of Sickness, Melf's Acid Arrow, etc.

Most damage spells are "ranged attack" not CON/DEX/STR saves. That's why Gale ends up being a Magic Missile spam boat because casters can't hit crap unless they pump DEX in addition to their main stat.

Last edited by RumRunner151; 15/11/20 07:12 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RumRunner151
Inflict wounds, Scorching Ray, Fire Bolt, Ray of Frost, Eldrich Blast, Witch Bolt, Ray of Sickness, Melf's Acid Arrow, etc.

Most damage spells are "ranged attack" not CON/DEX/STR saves. That's why Gale ends up being a Magic Missile spam boat because casters can't hit crap unless they pump DEX in addition to their main stat.

Spell to-hit bonuses are based off of the spellcasting stat, not Dex.
Same as saving throw DCs

It'd be more fair to say that "most single target damage spells are ranged attack," and even then I'm not sure if that is true...

addict
addict
Originally Posted by mrfuji3

Spell to-hit bonuses are based off of the spellcasting stat, not Dex.
Same as saving throw DCs

It'd be more fair to say that "most single target damage spells are ranged attack," and even then I'm not sure if that is true...

I was just coming back to fix that LoL. Tired. Still stands though with your qualification. "most single target damage spells are ranged attack,"

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
So the solution for this is relying on attack spells level 0 (cantrips) to recover the spell efficiency? Lol
This post was all about spell slots. Cantrips do not use it.

Just to explain some of DnD5e in case you don’t know. 99% of the spells forces a saving throw.

Please bring spells slots to the discussion which is clearly the main point of this post. Saying that cantrips help casters to feel less nerfed won’t help you.

I know you're speaking in hyperbole, but for the record / fun facts:

Total Spells in the Player's Handbook = 376

Spells that target any saving throws = 133

Spells that use attack (range/melee) = 26

There are 7 spells that fit into both categories above (i.e. make an attack and then a saving throw).

Source: D&D Beyond (Filtered by Source, Attack Type, and Saves)

S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Topgoon
So the solution for this is relying on attack spells level 0 (cantrips) to recover the spell efficiency? Lol
This post was all about spell slots. Cantrips do not use it.

Please bring spells slots to the discussion which is clearly the main point of this post. Saying that cantrips help casters to feel less nerfed won’t help you.

I know you're speaking in hyperbole, but for the record / fun facts:

Total Spells in the Player's Handbook = 376

Spells that target any saving throws = 133

Spells that use attack (range/melee) = 26

There are 7 spells that fit into both categories above (i.e. make an attack and then a saving throw).

Source: D&D Beyond (Filtered by Source, Attack Type, and Saves)

Not to mention that this post is about spells slots and out of the list the there’s a huge amount of attacking cantrips which don’t use spell slots and can be casted at will.

Being hyperbolic is something tricky in here. But I guess it’s better to attack the hyperbole instead of focusing the main purpose of the OP. But for the convinence let’s take back what I’ve said and state “the great majority”

“Most damage spells are "ranged attack" not CON/DEX/STR saves. That's why Gale ends up being a Magic Missile spam boat because casters can't hit crap unless they pump DEX in addition to their main stat.“

This phrase is completely incorrect but I sympathize with your opinion because there’s the bias of BG3 and it feels correct using that as a standard.
Now, regarding Dex, even in BG3 is incorrect e.g:
Bards, sorcs, warlocks : cha
Clerics:wis
Wizards: int

This post is all abou trying to look into the future. The more you grow in levels, the less you’ll see those attacking spells compared to saving throws.
If the attribute stats remains unchanged and only ac is modified, there’ll be a huge impact in the spell efficiency.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard