Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
old hand
old hand
Yeah, it's not bad if you compare it to all armors in all games. It's just bad for GERALT, I feel.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
I like most of the Witcher armor, but god the Griffon set looks BAD.

And it was the one that matched my gish-y build... D:

But yeah, in general the Witcher armor designs were great. Most of the problems I had with them was the colouring. (I'm very particular about colours.)

old hand
old hand
Griffin? More like Iguana Armour laugh

Griffin was one of my favourite armour actually, I can't remember if it was the stats or the look. Ended up transferring to Bear because of the long coat look.

But yes, I think the Witcher games had very nice looking armour art design overall. From what I've seen most of BG3's armour looks very good too, though.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Tuco
TW2 and 3 had OUTSTANDING armor design in general, as I already said.

P.S. Still a bit bitter that superior tier 3 ursine armor never became an in-game model.

That's because they relied much more on real armor than fantasy bullsh...

The worst thing for me in many fantasy games are helmet designs, and BG3 is no different, like "hey, let's create a leather helmet with low vital protection and put small horns like anywhere on it."

By the way, I find it strange to be in an EA board with no option to upload pictures from your HDD, like you know... pictures of bugs in the game.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Yes, not being able to upload images direct to the board is frustrating. A feature of the forum software, I understand.

Last edited by Sadurian; 12/11/20 05:32 PM.
L
addict
addict
L
I really hope Larian is taking a good look at Demon’s Souls. For a small-ish game there’s a decent variety of armours in there and they look phenomenal. That’s how I want my D&D characters to look, not all shiny and gaudy.

stranger
stranger
Sorry to revive this thread, but I was googling to see if I could find how certain armours in game would look once on my character, without having to buy it first, and stumbled across the previews, and this post, and just wanted to say I wholeheartedly agree. What is it with all the extra flashy bits? Why is there so much leather in the scale? so much cloth in the chain? So much fancy stuff in the plate? Can we just get cool, functional looking armour, please? Why can the plate not just be like the half-plate, but whole-plate? Why can the maille not just be maille?

You ever seen Henry VIIIs jousting armour from when he got fat? That's Plate +2 right there, it's functional, it's sleek, but it's got just a little bit of gold trim and jousting pauldrons to make it look flashy.

https://collections.royalarmouries.org/object/rac-object-11384.html

In fact, here:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/nhIP6dfr_FE/maxresdefault.jpg

1100 - chainmail

1330 - splint

1400 - half-plate

1450 - plate

just give us some form of version of this.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Topgoon
On Josh Sawyer's BG3 stream, he mentioned that when working on Neverwinter Nights 2, Wizard of the Coast had very strict guidelines as to how the aesthetics of the armor and clothing needed to be. Essentially, they had to follow the D&D 3.5e armor design guidelines, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same for Larian. Which means expect lots of big pauldrons on heavy armor (see Paladin with plate from the 5e Handbook).

[Linked Image from media-waterdeep.cursecdn.com]

Baldur's Gate 3 has a photorealistic visual style though, so cartoony art like that illustration can't be copied exactly. The worst thing they could do is combining two completely different art styles because "guidelines". Giant pauldrons would look really stupid on realistic character models.

It sucks the Early Access hasn't really gone anywhere in a year regarding weapon and armor models.

And the Witcher art direction is amazing. It nails the photorealistic style perfectly while looking like a fantasy game. I will refuse to wear anything that looks as ridiculous as the Full Plate +2 in BG3. Even the Scale Mails are hard to swallow as they look much more like fashion than armor already at level 1.

Last edited by 1varangian; 17/01/22 03:59 PM.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard