Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Red exploding barrels are one of the most popular cliches in computer games. In Baldur's Gate, explosive things are not red, which makes the game more realistic but departs from this stereotype.

Should barrels of gunpowder be red?

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
addict
addict
You're starting to run out of things to talk about.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

veteran
veteran
We demand sexy barrels?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Barrels should come in 6 packs instead of 4. I want to be able to play the standard 4 barrel types, plus a barbarian barrel and a bardic polka barrel.

Also, we need an option to show barrels without lids, and with a pop-top option.

addict
addict
I demand Barrels of Monkeys... no wait... Fish in a Barrel that I can shoot!

C
stranger
stranger
C
I agree that they feel very jarring and cartoony against the otherwise realistic graphics, it kinda takes you out of the experience.

veteran
veteran
I mean, it’s kinda important to look at a barrel and recognise what it does? Isn’t it likely that in fantasy world where fireballs are thrown left an right, explosive barrels would be marked in garish Red for safety reasons?

A
Ari Offline
journeyman
journeyman
A
I eagerly await the mod that replaces all the barrels with Donkey Kong variants.

journeyman
journeyman
Most explosive things in real life have some sort of clear warning of this, so I think red explosive barrels are appropriate. Besides, if they looked like any other barrel, it would probably not go over well.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
We demand sexy barrels?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
C
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by Wormerine
I mean, it’s kinda important to look at a barrel and recognise what it does? Isn’t it likely that in fantasy world where fireballs are thrown left an right, explosive barrels would be marked in garish Red for safety reasons?

In a "realistic" fantasy world you wouldnt have explosives lining every wall where people live.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Smokepowder

History
The secret to making smokepowder was given by Gond to the Lantanese for sheltering him during the Time of Troubles in 1358 DR. The church of Gond was one of the few manufacturers of smokepowder. It was banned in many cities and a source of friction as it was considered dangerous to use and a threat to the status quo.[4]

Around 1372 DR, the city of Telflamm was considered a gateway for smokepowder and other eastern goods into the rest of Faerûn.[7]

Following the destruction of Lantan during the Spellplague, many artificers considered the secrets behind smokepowder to have been lost.[5]

For much of the 14th century DR, the nation of Cormyr only allowed the importation or creation of smokepowder by those who had a license from the Crown, but these licenses came with a variety of conditions and they came with a 500 gp fee. Most often the importer wasn't permitted to take the substance into Arabel or further south than Waymoot. Their licensing fee paid for two War Wizards and two members of the Purple Dragons to watch over the substance.[6]

In addition to the license, those importing smokepowder to Cormyr were required to give a detailed report to a War Wizard or their second-in-command that explained their reasons for importing it, where and how it would be stored in the meantime, and when it would be used, among other other things. Approval was generally more lenient for those who cited a desire to conquer the Stonelands. Furthermore, any attempts to sell, gift, or hide smokepowder would result in a confiscation order that would be carried out by dozens of ruthless War Wizards and Purple Dragons.[6]

In the 1480 DR, smokepowder was largely a banned substance in the city of Waterdeep. The people who had official access to it were guardsmen. To a limited degree members of the Watchful Order also had access for the purposes of experimentation, though such experiments had to be observed and supervised by officials. Around this same time, the substance could be covertly bought in small quantities at the black markets of Luskan and Westgate, though one was liable to attract the attention of spies.[6]

Scornubel, as well as later on Downshadow and Mistshore, were some of the few places in the 14th century where one could openly and freely purchase smokepowder.[6]

Across the Realms, many had misconceptions regarding the safety and effectiveness of this substance. It was most often viewed as being unreliable and some form of dangerous or corruptive magic.[6] Smokepowder had a similar reputation among inhabitants of the Demiplane of Dread, especially the Vistani.[8]

in the whole web site smokepowder is mantioned 3 time.

Adventures
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist

Novels
The Mercenaries

Video Games
Baldur's Gate III

Last edited by Evil_it_Self; 16/11/20 04:44 PM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard