Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#735238 16/11/20 09:25 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Just my opinion from Lore. Artistic licence and all that.

Elves - way too tall and stocky, facially idiotic, look more human than human.
Half Elves - Too tall, facially no different from humans or elves which looks odd.
Halflings - Seem okay apart from too stocky, feet too small and giant heads. They look like they would need to use their legs to push their head though the dirt.
Dwarves - Pretty good.
Humans - facially (female especially) look like they have extra chromosomes.
Githyanki - Mmmmm okay but more alien body types from what I remember, closer to humanoid insects than mammals.
Tieflings - Tieflings are humans with horns basically. Horny bastards, can see Larian put alot of work into them.

Pretty sure I have seen a similar thread BUT Iooked though 70% of the 1300 topics to bump it and never found it. In my opinion it is an important topic from a lore standpoint, attention to detail required.

journeyman
journeyman
Cant say i agree, male Dwarves e.g. are the only race i think looks really strange (the upper body is like a triangle and way to less full beards)

P
addict
addict
P
I think female dwarves look great, but male dwarves are too stocky, to the point where if you have no beard you can see really weird bulging around the neck. If their upper bodies were just a little less stocky it would look less weird.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
Just my opinion from Lore. Artistic licence and all that.

Elves - way too tall and stocky, facially idiotic, look more human than human.
Half Elves - Too tall, facially no different from humans or elves which looks odd.
Halflings - Seem okay apart from too stocky, feet too small and giant heads. They look like they would need to use their legs to push their head though the dirt.
Dwarves - Pretty good.
Humans - facially (female especially) look like they have extra chromosomes.
Githyanki - Mmmmm okay but more alien body types from what I remember, closer to humanoid insects than mammals.
Tieflings - Tieflings are humans with horns basically. Horny bastards, can see Larian put alot of work into them.

Pretty sure I have seen a similar thread BUT Iooked though 70% of the 1300 topics to bump it and never found it. In my opinion it is an important topic from a lore standpoint, attention to detail required.

Gonna have to mostly disagree. Just think we need more options, not that the paths are wrong. But thanks for your feedback.

L
addict
addict
L
I’d be keen for elves to appear generally more waifish and graceful than humans, with half-elves sitting somewhere in between. Not to say humans can’t be slender too, just in general. Sliders would be helpful in this regard.

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
Sliders would be helpful in this regard.

Even just putting in the 3 standard options common for a lot of other rpg games: bulky, middle, and skinny, would help a great deal. I'd like overall more variety in the character creation, more heads, more hairs, more bodies.

veteran
veteran
Dwarves - Pretty good.

Rly? You think that things, that have hands almost bigger than their own heads are good? O_o

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
addict
addict
I can only say about faces.

Almost everyone uses the same face in female drow (with freckles). Isn't this an indicator that the rest of the faces just don't make sense? I mean, they're not attractive enough... It doesn't matter how many faces you add, as long as only one of them is attractive. Also I don't agree that elves too tall. There's nothing wrong with height, elves shouldn't be short, as far as I know.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Nyloth

Almost everyone uses the same face in female drow (with freckles). Isn't this an indicator that the rest of the faces just don't make sense? I mean, they're not attractive enough... It doesn't matter how many faces you add, as long as only one of them is attractive. Also I don't agree that elves too tall. There's nothing wrong with height, elves shouldn't be short, as far as I know.

Well from a lore perspective the races have very detailed characteristic discriptions in the PHB. Elves are skinny/slender and have very noticeable heart shaped facial features. They are noticeablely shorter and less stocky than the average human. Half-elves are somewhere in the middle. I am not saying this is what I personally feel this is how the races should look, I am pointing out the differences from lore.

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Dwarves - Pretty good.

Rly? You think that things, that have hands almost bigger than their own heads are good? O_o

Just looked, they are pretty massive.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Nyloth

Well from a lore perspective the races have very detailed characteristic discriptions in the PHB. Elves are skinny/slender and have very noticeable heart shaped facial features. They are noticeablely shorter and less stocky than the average human. Half-elves are somewhere in the middle. I am not saying this is what I personally feel this is how the races should look, I am pointing out the differences from lore.

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Dwarves - Pretty good.

Just looked, they are pretty massive.

Wiki says: High elves - same height as average or tall human, wood elves - same height as short or average human height, drow - slightly shorter than humans.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
From PHB.

With their unearthly grace and fine features, elves
appear hauntingly beautiful to humans and members
of many other races. They are shorter than
humans on average, ranging from well under 5 feet
tall to just over 6 feet. They are more slender than
humans, weighing only 100 to 145 pounds. Males and
females are about the same height, and males are only
marginally heavier than females.
Elves’ coloration encompasses the normal human
range and also includes skin in shades of copper,
bronze, and almost bluish-white, hair o f green or blue,
and eyes like pools o f liquid gold or silver. Elves have no
facial and little body hair. They favor elegant clothing in
bright colors, and they enjoy simple yet lovely jewelry.

addict
addict
From PHB.

"On average", "over 6 feet" and that's the description to the race as a whole, no subraces. So on average they maybe shorter, but it doesn't mean that every single subrace is shorter. Having 2(wood, drow) out of 3 subraces shorter will be shorter on average. And it says that they can be over 6 feet.

P
addict
addict
P
iirc Drizzt is only about 5'4"/162cm and hes about average for a male drow.

Zellin #736317 19/11/20 07:50 AM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Zellin
From PHB.

"On average", "over 6 feet" and that's the description to the race as a whole, no subraces. So on average they maybe shorter, but it doesn't mean that every single subrace is shorter. Having 2(wood, drow) out of 3 subraces shorter will be shorter on average. And it says that they can be over 6 feet.

Okay Ill reword it, Humans have a greater variation in height and are generally taller on average..including high elves.

Put all the high elves above 6 feet over there and we will round up all the humans above 6 feet, which group would have the taller average? laugh

addict
addict
From PHB.

Okay Ill reword it, Humans have a greater variation in height and are generally taller on average..including high elves.

Put all the high elves above 6 feet over there and we will round up all the humans above 6 feet, which group would have the taller average? laugh

Humans, ofc. I'm not arguing with the fact that on average humans are taller than elves. Just we have 3 subraces here and each subrace has it's own height, not just "all elves shorter than humans".

Zellin #736326 19/11/20 08:24 AM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast

Humans, ofc. I'm not arguing with the fact that on average humans are taller than elves. Just we have 3 subraces here and each subrace has it's own height, not just "all elves shorter than humans".

Oh right I see, there big threads asking if there could be some sliders on character creation like height, nose length, cheek width...This is what I am getting at, I cannot imagine it being a massive workload adding a few custom height and face varations to make elven and human races look different other than weird squared jawed humans with pointy ears. If the subraces of elves are set at different heights going from short arse drow to 6 foot high elves then sure all good.

Elves are dexterous ergo less muscular (or fat), the male elves on character creation are all 6ft 2in 240lb square jawed humans with pointy ears. I really liked the DOS2 elf models I thought they really captured the Elf look.

addict
addict

Oh right I see, there big threads asking if there could be some sliders on character creation like height, nose length, cheek width...This is what I am getting at, I cannot imagine it being a massive workload adding a few custom height and face varations to make elven and human races look different other than weird squared jawed humans with pointy ears. If the subraces of elves are set at different heights going from short arse drow to 6 foot high elves then sure all good.

Elves are dexterous ergo less muscular (or fat), the male elves on character creation are all 6ft 2in 240lb square jawed humans with pointy ears. I really liked the DOS2 elf models I thought they really captured the Elf look.

Agreed. But I'm afraid problems may come from armors and cutscenes direction. Even now cutscenes are quite buggy with characters heights.

old hand
old hand
As far as I remember, high elves in the Forgotten Realms tend to be shorter than their Wood Elf kindred.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
Dexai #736398 19/11/20 11:14 AM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Dexai
As far as I remember, high elves in the Forgotten Realms tend to be shorter than their Wood Elf kindred.

Maybe I confused them. I only know for sure that it's drow who supposed to be really-really short ones.

Zellin #736408 19/11/20 11:57 AM
old hand
old hand
After I wrote the post I looked up some old pics I remembered to make sure I weren't mistaking myself. These are from 3.5 (I think) so we can't be a 100% certain they haven't changed the design since then but I couldn't find a similar comparison pic for 4th or 5th edition.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Optimistically Apocalyptic

Link Copied to Clipboard