Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 34 of 41 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 40 41
veteran
veteran
Too many scrolls was mentioned in the OP but that's consumables in general. Exploding arrows, grease bottles, bombs.. and most of all MAGIC FOOD that heals. That's a huge change to 5e healing economy and it's silly.

Resting system is another big topic. Long rests are fast and convenient, there is no need for Short Rests or resource management in general when getting back to full resources is behind an always available button. Bad for immersion when you can teleport back to your pocket dimension camp from anywhere even if you can't realistically return or it's dangerous.

Thirdly, the easy advantages you get in combat from backstabs and high ground throwing 5e balance out of whack is a big discussion.

Last edited by 1varangian; 07/11/20 02:02 PM.
J
journeyman
journeyman
J
First, overall I love the game - great work so far, and I'm looking forward to more in EA, and the final game. I'm playing on Stadia, if that matters.

My feedback, so far, in no particular order:
- I'm playing on a laptop with a touchpad; no mouse. It would be nice to have a default set of keybinds that don't assume a mouse.
- While the program will save my volume preference when I exit the game and go back in, it will not save my keybinds. So each time I go in I have to reassign all the mouse commends (see above.) Annoying.
- Please implement the Dodge action.
- Is there a way to organize your hotbar? I haven't found one, and it is badly needed.
- For spell options, like upcasting, use a sub-menu, like with Hex, to reduce the space required on the hotbar.
- A command/key to recenter the camera on your active character would be great. I've had the camera 'get stuck' and had a hard time freeing it. I've also managed to 'lose' my character, and had trouble finding them again.
- Why does a longbow and shortbow have the same range? Some attacks should have longer range than others; 60' seems a bit arbitrary. This also seems to reduce the importance/value of mobility.
- Shield Dwarves are not proficient with shields!!
- There needs to be a way to find out what your perception checks revealed; it is frequently difficult to determine.
- It would be nice to be able to add notations to the map to help remember where things are.
- What is the purpose of having a random fight in the campsite? This happened to me twice: once Gale attacked the party when we returned, another time the dog attacked. Very odd. The first time I thought an enemy was attacking the camp (not a bad random encounter idea) but it was Gale.
- I agree with comments that the rest system is not great. During 5E play, Warlocks use short rests to get back their spells and be effective, compared to other primary spellcasters. Wizards and Clerics need long rests to regain spells. But only one short rest is allowed, and there seems to be no penalty for long rests. To keep any form of balance, it seems like you need a limit/cost to long rests, and at least 2 short rests per day. Otherwise, just long rest after each encounter.
- Too many scrolls. Everyone can use scrolls. Wizards can learn non-wizard spells. It's rather a mess and makes casters too powerful, as they essentially have unlimited spells; made worse by the scroll glut. It also makes Arcane Tricksters and Eldritch Knights useless, if a Thief or Battle Master can cast spells from scrolls.
- Why does the party constantly walk through ground hazards they can see, and then take damage from it?!
- When not in combat, it would be nice if everyone could jump in succession. Getting everyone across a gap is tedious, especially the way the party members who have already jumped seem to like to stand around the far side and block others.
- When you end up prone, it should not cost you your action. 5E is 50% of your movement to stand up.
- You should be able to drop prone to avoid ranged attacks, as in 5E.
- How can you throw a full barrel of oil as far as you can?!
- The game makes too much use of ground effects, like fire.
- Too many containers to search. But you have to search them to get loot.
- Why do you get so little money when you trade something, and pay so much when you trade?
- Food should not heal you in a battle.
- Potions as a bonus action definitely make combat easier - maybe too much easier.
- I had a couple instances where a character died, and then I couldn't resurrect them. It seemed like the program thought they were below the ground and 'not valid targets.'
- Great Weapon Master should give you the choice of taking the -5/+10, or doing a straight up attack.

Last edited by jmos; 07/11/20 07:34 PM.
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
No one dare to touch healing (healing.. .. come on food is like a band aid). :| :| :| laugh laugh laugh (yes I love healing foods with all their sillyness).

P
stranger
stranger
P
My 2 Cents, which echoes a lot of posts already:

DnD 5e Rules:
Cantrips: With secondary effects on the environment they become more than their original intent. With higher level spells such as sleet storm that actually effect the environment, it diminishes their purposes. Also, while cool for early access to show the effects on environment, not everyone wants the environment to be effected.

Range of spells and of bows: The range of eldritch blast for instance is huge, and while slightly longer than most cantrips, is supposed to encompass a huge range. Same with bows. It diminishes the use of stealth characters that want to pick off enemies (like in the goblin town) and then go back into stealth. Which brings me to my unique point, auto stealth. If you are in a surprise round situation and the enemy fails a perception check, having an option (similar to a toggle like opportunity attacks) to immediately pop back into stealth would be helpful. Rather than relying on pressing c and then needing to move.

Adding modifiers to damage. Please fix this!! Nothing is as annoying as having a +3 strength fighter and not being able to deal damage similar to spells. Imagine a 2 handed battle axe hit dealing 1 damage and this dude hits you with a little bit of fire and you take 6 damage.

Stealing: As a rogue pickpocketing is a staple. However, when someone immediately comes to you after stealing (despite the fact that you have blessing of the trickster AND were invisible when it happens) and starts blaming you causing all the tieflings to attack you, its a little annoying. (for this reference I actually unchained my player rogue, sent my party to the entrance of the enclave, and still wasn't able to get away with it.

Have the shove actions, jump actions count as their appropriate action economy. Jump doesn't take an action but there is a success fail. Shove is an action.
Give us a grapple option!!!!!

Auto sneak attack damage please

For mage hand ledgermain can we get the option to pickpocket and disarm traps

Can we also get the ability to cast touch spells out of our familiars and our invoke duplicity trickster clerics. It's one of the things that makes trickster clerics awesome

Can we get options on starting equipment? I realize that we are prisoners in a mindflayer ship, however, the option to pick up our equipment along the way would be great. (make it part of the story, you kill someone for equipment, or you an intellect devourer brings you something?)

Give us the illusion of control with the dice. If we have advantage/disadvantage during dialogue checks, roll 2 dice.
Give us more dice checks then just in discovery/dialogue mode. (ex, when jumping down give us an acrobatics check to not fall prone, give us survival checks to locate plants nearby, nature checks to see if the weather is going to change,)

Expertise with Rogues!!!!

Fix starting class proficiencies with weapons/armor

When it comes to backgrounds, there is usually a feature attached, perhaps giving a feature or a unique feat to each background
Backgrounds also let us pick additional languages we speak, that would be helpful
Acolyte is in service to a God, let us pick a god that would affect dialogue

Give us the spare the dying cantrip. It'll reduce the need for revivify scrolls.

UNIQUE IDEAS
Give us options on spell casting - colors, flavors, casting stances
Give us battle stances/poses
Let us pick an alignment. Give us options based on that alignment, while also making it fluid. Are you a L/E rogue who keeps helping people. Move to L/N. Etc. Allowing us the freedom to act out our character in dialogue is key DnD 5e stuff. Giving certain options based on alignment is just as cool as a tiefling option. Or getting whispers (that guard looks like he's got a lot of gold on it, want to steal it?) would enhance the roleplay as well as give unique moments for classes.

Game Play Fixes:
Fill loot in places or remove clutter
Give us lore!!!! Use books to give information etc. Can add more history checks for details, and make languages useful.
Make traps more strategic. Having one room full of traps and then having traps almost no where else is boring.
Remove barrels from the game. This isn't DoS. There are way better ways to make things happen. In a cave, someone's gotta have an oil flask for lanterns. Burn that.
Make use of climbing. There are plenty of cliffs and walls that would be a great place for grappling hooks and climbing gear. More dice checks too!
Have enemies also roll stealth. Having ambushes in goblin town was awesome! But in combat watching a goblin rogue stealth would be great.
Health Bloating! Goblins don't have that much health. (As a side point to this, I love how long combats are and how much tactical thinking goes into this. Its awesome keep that up. But instead, find creative ways to bring more goblins in OR a reason that their hp is so high. Also, this would be fixed with modifier damage)
Use languages. Goblins communicating in goblin are hard to understand. Have them give commands to each other and only if you speak goblin do you know what they are saying.
Warlocks have a patron. Give us some information or options for how/why we are warlocks. For that matter give us more information in the story. Where did we come from, why are we the background we are, etc

That's all I have for now. I'll post more later!

Finished act 1 as:
Ranger
Cleric

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Hello, I just got to level 4 on early access, and I'm really having some fun with this game. However, there are a few issues with the interface that I feel are fixable and would greatly improve the user experience. I know this post is long, and it is all "this broke/no good, please fix!" But please understand that I'm really enjoying this game. The items below are all, in my opinion, actionable and would greatly serve to improve my enjoyment of what's shaping up to be a terrific game.

Party Leadership, or the Danger Zone Dance: Currently, whenever a party member is selected to perform some action, the rest of the part instantly starts running around like chickens with their head cut off to follow the new leader. This is extremely frustrating when trying to be sneaky, cast buffs, etc. For example, my party is behind a rock, and I want to have my cleric cast Blessing of the Trickster on our rogue before he runs off to scout. As soon as she moves towards him to cast it, the rest of my party instantly runs around, some of them swinging out wildly, causing them to participate in one or more activities including:
  • running into fire
  • running into poison
  • getting spotted
  • walking the long way around because tight pathing and aggroing the entire map

I want to designate my party leader, and I don't want that to change based on who I'm currently controlling to do some minor action. It's a huge hassle.

Look Who's Talking Now: This is The Danger Zone Dance's cousin. My party has a face. It's a character with 20 charisma, persuasion, the works. However, let's say that we are walking into a scripted area, and all of a sudden our charisma 8, wisdom 8, charisma 8 fighter is the one who gets chosen to talk because he happened to be up front. It's no fun. Furthermore, in any actual roleplaying scenario the other player would talk. Please give us the option before every scripted conversation to designate which player will do the talking, or at least default it to the party leader instead of the random schmo who happened to cross the invisible trigger line first.

Camera Pitch: There is no reason not to allow us to control pitch of the camera when free controlling the camera. Please, I beg you, unlock that final axis so that if the party is in some caves with overhangs/etc, and a monster is positioned 3 feet above us, we can pitch the camera to see it.

Clicking Things: This game has a severe mouse accuracy problem that can be broken into three categories:
  • Cover/Concealment/The Tiniest of Plants: If there is geometry, or even the illusion of geometry, between your cursor and the object of your click's desire, even if that object cannot itself be clicked, you will not be able to click your target
  • Pixel-Accurate Frustration: This is the more-destructive big brother of the previous point. Why so? Because this one makes you accidentally attack the wrong character, etc.
  • It's the Background, Silly!: There is a severe camera clipping issue where, although the game has removed objects that would obscure the player's view via a clipping plane, those objects can still be clicked. If it isn't visible on camera, it should not accept clicks, period.

Useless Portraits: This is a sister-issue to Clicking Things. The issue here is that character portraits, both the cards that pop up in a fight as well as the always-there party portraits, should be clickable for targeting purposes. Want to shoot magic missile? Clicking that portrait should be identical to clicking on the middle of a character. This would make so many activities so much easier. Instead, all the portraits are good for is centering the camera so you can try to click things.

Unclear Action Choices: This one is a bit trickier, but basically it can be extremely confusing to know how to "correctly" do something. By the way, QUEST SPOILER ALERT
I managed to retrieve the amethyst from beneath the Phase Spider Matriarch needed to unlock the book. My plan was to give the book to Gale for him to eat. Here is what I tried:
  • Put book in his inventory for him to "use" -- Could not do -- Astarion wouldn't allow it as he had at some point purloined the book and would not allow any other characters to have access
  • Have my party leader "use" the book from Astarion's inventory and click the option to give it to Gale. This resulted in Gale saying "I need to study this more" or some fluff, and decidedly not destroying it
  • Let Gale "use" the book from Astarion's inventory and pass a ton of wisdom checks before nothing
  • Give the book to Gale for him to eat via conversation at camp. I couldn't because my only dialog option was "I think I need to keep it" or something along those lines. I don't remember exactly
  • Finally, give the book to Gale for him to eat via conversation at camp. I had at this point met some other criteria, and finally he was able to take it from me and consume the weave. side note: the book is bugged and still lives on in Astarion's inventory -- I can feed it to Gale regularly now

Another example is the camp. How the heck are players supposed to know to click the fire to return from camp? Just put one of those teleportation rune circles there for people to click, or put an NPC that advertises, or anything. Don't leave it up to the players to click everything before they finally figure out how to do something as basic as "leave camp". The first time I needed to sleep to recover spells was miserable.

Finding Things, Perception Checks, and Alt-Click: Locating items/points-of-interest in the environment is truly difficult. There are really two culprits:
  • Alt-Clicking is Unreliable and Inconsistent: Alt-clicking should illuminate every single clickable item there is unless it is flagged as needing a perception check. Instead, the behavior is: Some items highlight, some items don't, and yet other items produce a title card that cannot be manipulated in the same way as if the item were there (e.g. if you click the title card for a non-highlighted backpack, you will pick the entire backpack up into your inventory instead of having the option to open/loot it where it sits). The solution is simple: highlight everything and let title cards be manipulated with the full right-click context menu
  • Players Need Perception Proficiency to Use Character Perception Checks: Seriously. Yesterday, I damn near insta-killed my entire party because literally everyone in my party passed a bunch of perception checks, I alt-clicked, looked around with the camera, really searched, could not find what they spotted. Then I walked out into the river and ran them all over spike traps that bled them and gave them disease. It was not fun. This really goes back to alt-click, but if a perception check notices something, please highlight that thing until the player mouses over it or something. Don't force the player to navigate an already-complex environment to try to find the thing the character just spotted. It's been spotted, show it to us.

Ultimately, we just need more/better tools for distinguishing clickables from the environment.

That's all I have to say right now other than I want to reiterate my overall enjoyment of the early game experience. I'm super-excited to see where you go with it, and I am eagerly awaiting the full game.

Thank you for your time!

B
stranger
stranger
B
I would like to see about as many companion options as in BG 2. There were 16 joinable NPCs. This adds to replay ability for the game, playing thru with a different group set.

Originally Posted by jmos
First, overall I love the game - great work so far, and I'm looking forward to more in EA, and the final game. I'm playing on Stadia, if that matters.

My feedback, so far, in no particular order:
- I'm playing on a laptop with a touchpad; no mouse. It would be nice to have a default set of keybinds that don't assume a mouse.
- While the program will save my volume preference when I exit the game and go back in, it will not save my keybinds. So each time I go in I have to reassign all the mouse commends (see above.) Annoying.
- Please implement the Dodge action.
- Is there a way to organize your hotbar? I haven't found one, and it is badly needed.
- For spell options, like upcasting, use a sub-menu, like with Hex, to reduce the space required on the hotbar.
- A command/key to recenter the camera on your active character would be great. I've had the camera 'get stuck' and had a hard time freeing it. I've also managed to 'lose' my character, and had trouble finding them again.
- Why does a longbow and shortbow have the same range? Some attacks should have longer range than others; 60' seems a bit arbitrary. This also seems to reduce the importance/value of mobility.
- Shield Dwarves are not proficient with shields!!
- There needs to be a way to find out what your perception checks revealed; it is frequently difficult to determine.
- It would be nice to be able to add notations to the map to help remember where things are.
- What is the purpose of having a random fight in the campsite? This happened to me twice: once Gale attacked the party when we returned, another time the dog attacked. Very odd. The first time I thought an enemy was attacking the camp (not a bad random encounter idea) but it was Gale.
- I agree with comments that the rest system is not great. During 5E play, Warlocks use short rests to get back their spells and be effective, compared to other primary spellcasters. Wizards and Clerics need long rests to regain spells. But only one short rest is allowed, and there seems to be no penalty for long rests. To keep any form of balance, it seems like you need a limit/cost to long rests, and at least 2 short rests per day. Otherwise, just long rest after each encounter.
- Too many scrolls. Everyone can use scrolls. Wizards can learn non-wizard spells. It's rather a mess and makes casters too powerful, as they essentially have unlimited spells; made worse by the scroll glut. It also makes Arcane Tricksters and Eldritch Knights useless, if a Thief or Battle Master can cast spells from scrolls.
- Why does the party constantly walk through ground hazards they can see, and then take damage from it?!
- When not in combat, it would be nice if everyone could jump in succession. Getting everyone across a gap is tedious, especially the way the party members who have already jumped seem to like to stand around the far side and block others.
- When you end up prone, it should not cost you your action. 5E is 50% of your movement to stand up.
- You should be able to drop prone to avoid ranged attacks, as in 5E.
- How can you throw a full barrel of oil as far as you can?!
- The game makes too much use of ground effects, like fire.
- Too many containers to search. But you have to search them to get loot.
- Why do you get so little money when you trade something, and pay so much when you trade?
- Food should not heal you in a battle.
- Potions as a bonus action definitely make combat easier - maybe too much easier.
- I had a couple instances where a character died, and then I couldn't resurrect them. It seemed like the program thought they were below the ground and 'not valid targets.'
- Great Weapon Master should give you the choice of taking the -5/+10, or doing a straight up attack.

I found myself agreeing with a great many of the points that you made here. Non-mage classes should be unable to cast spells. Party members should not be stupid enough to stroll through puddles of toxic substances, needs to be addressed. Camera placement issues truly are rife. Perception checks, ditto. Hotbar oganization, check.

“This year the utopian candy shell has melted away to expose a hard center of bizarre reality.”
S
Banned
Banned
S
"Great Weapon Master should give you the choice of taking the -5/+10, or doing a straight up attack."

Having anything minus completely defeats the name of "Grand Master" of that particular skill. That one is the most ridiculous feature, rule, feat description ive ever seen. I dont care if its by the book. The Book is wrong.

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
A couple quick points:

Since my original post I discovered you can double-click on a character portrait at the bottom left corner and it will bring the camera back to that character. Yea!!!

Regarding Great Weapon Master - the 5E Feat is that you take a -5 penalty (equivalent to Disadvantage) to hit, but if you hit, you get +10 to the damage, which is, on average, like adding 1d20 to the damage role, huge. The idea is you use magic weapons and buff's to help offset the penalty to hit, and still get the damage boost. I've seen analysis that this is a statistically worth-while tradeoff if the enemy's armor class is less than 18 (maybe equal to or less than 18.) Above that it's not worth it. In 5E you decide before rolling your attack if you want to take the penalty and bonus, or make a straight up roll. If you don't like this, blame WOTC, not Larian. If they wanted to make this a straight up bonus, it should probably be like +2 to hit with great weapons, like the archery feat.

In BG3, as it is, if your 'to hit' percentage is really low, you have to switch to a non-two handed weapon to avoid the -5 to hit. There should be a choice when attacking.

I'm playing through now as a Life domain Cleric, and I'm more convinced than ever that the abundance of scrolls, and the long/short rest system on BG3 has really broken the balance of the game. Martial classes are only balanced with casters when casters have to ration their magic and can't blast away then take a long rest and recover their slots. As it is now, a party of wizards taking long rests after each battle are pretty unstoppable; just use scrolls and food to heal. Warlocks are nerfed too; they are balanced by having far fewer spell slots and getting them back on short rests; but with no penalty for long rests, they are just under-powered. If this isn't changed, Wizards will be crazy strong as levels increase beyond 4th.

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Originally Posted by Surface R
"Great Weapon Master should give you the choice of taking the -5/+10, or doing a straight up attack."

Having anything minus completely defeats the name of "Grand Master" of that particular skill. That one is the most ridiculous feature, rule, feat description ive ever seen. I dont care if its by the book. The Book is wrong.

On the right side of the interface bar, there is a little circle that you can click to enable or disable weapon master power attack. It's the same area where you can turn off taking attacks of opportunity, etc

stranger
stranger
I had a few points I was hoping someone might want to discuss! And some points I hope the studio might see and consider in the process.

So far I've played 72 hours of the Open Access and seriously, I love the game. I love it so much that the thought of waiting for the full release sits in my head like a tumour. But I digress, I'd rather the studio releases the game when they think it'll be good, when they're happy with it. I do not want to encourage the game industry's crucnhing and mistreatment of workers just to get a game out quicker. Though if someone could give me a rough idea (considering Divinity was in OA for about a year, do you think it'll be the same for BG3? Obvs BG3 is a lot bigger, but so is the studio compared to when DOS2 was being made).

Before anything, know that I've not played DOS2 (But I will soon!) so I'm not familiar with Larian all that much. But following BG3's development has given me an adoration for the studio. They clearly love their fans, their work and I sincerely thank the entire team.

But in other words, here were the main points so far, both good and bad feedback!:
Companions and Narrative:

- I worry that companions will be hard-set and won't truly change throughout the story. Mainly because it's using 5e 'alignment' system and I never really liked that in the first place, it feels constraining. I think the easiest example I can think of is with Astarion who is quite CE but I hope that progressing through the game, we - the player - have chances to lead him onto a different path. Neither good nor bad, just give us the option to change opinions without sacrificing the way they see us. Essentially, I hope the work we put into relationships (platonic or romantic) is rewarded in a way. Again, with Astarion, I've been trying to appeal to his personality and humour but I also don't want to be a murder-hobo (which if you're going solely for his approval, he encourages) but in terms of his story, there's clearly hints of a confronation with Cazador (even the possibility of killing Cazador and allowing Astarion to become a full vampire) at which point I hope the work we've put into gaining his trust won't be thrown out just for 'the twist' or a random roll of the dice. I use Astarion as he's the easiest to think of examples for, but I hope it'll be like that with all the characters. I know everyone will want to play the game differently, some won't care about their companions whilst others do. I just hope that if we do actuvely try to appeal to them, we won't be shafted later down the line for the sake of a 'twist'. Like I've really been struggling to get Shadowheart's approval and sometimes it'll just go down because I failed a role, and it's a bit tricky. I'm fine with it taking longer, it's just I don't want my effort to then be thrown out the window!

- I really do love the amount of choices in which the player can try to remove the tadpole. Of course it wouldn't fit narratively to be able to simply take it out straight away, but the amount of options available really gives flavour and agency to the players. It really does make us feel like it's a threat and genuinely scary. The multiple choices throughout the game so far also feel real, they're not satellites, they're kernels and they matter,

- Please please make Alfira a companion character. Maybe not one that gets involved in combat but one who sticks with the party. There's an easy way to impliment her into the story, she wants to travel and she can do that with the camp. You've introduced such a likeable character who would fit perfectly as a bard, and I really do hope you will make her a permanent companion! It'll be a nice change from the stoic Lae'zel and the secretive Shadowheart!

- The story is so far great, from second one, I'm invested and on the edge of my seat! I'm always questioning and wondering what's hidden. Though I still wonder if the true inciting incident has happened? Of course one could say the tadpole's infusion with the player was the inciting incident. It reminds me of Dragon Age: Origins. Where the players have their small personal stories, their origins which itself is a small confined story but the true II happens when joining the Grey Wardens. Hence why I wonder if the true inciting incident has yet to happen and will instead occur at the Moonrise Towers? This is more a curious thought I had!

- With each character having a pre-disposed backstory, it gives the prospect of their playthroughs as something new and exciting! I'm already interested in playing as Astarion, Gale and Shadowheart's story as soon as I can. However, as of now, the background options for our player character haven't shown up much other than passive remarks in conversation. This is an understandable choice, there'd be far too much work to give further origins, but I wonder if perhaps there'd be a potential to give the player a relationship tree before the start of the game. Depending on the player's background choices and race and whatnot, perhaps they could have the option to know of various people before hand, like friends or enemies? Or perhaps even a text-based version of Xanathar's background rolling system. Things like rolling a d100 to see what life events had happened to you, siblings, parents, what kind of home you grew up in, special events that might have happened ot you, etc...? I think that could bring a great sense of agency already, giving the player the chance to have their character be pre-existing in the world and not just suddenly thrown in! It's just not often RPGs like this give the player that much freedom. Plus it would also give the game an insane amount of replayability. Say you played as a Tiefling from Elturel, you might have known about Zevlor before! Or even a druid who once knew Kagha... Etc...

- I love seeing when the companions talk to each other, not just to the player. I hope it happens more frequently as it gives depth their their character relationships with each other.

General Issues:
- There's been one thing that's frustrated me. I've had to reload a lot of saves to get the outcome I want but I don't want ot sit through the dialogue waiting for the options to show up. Pressing space skips the dialogue but it also auto-selects the first option in the multiple dialogue choice. So if I'm maybe a little too quick, I'll skip through a vital dialogue moment and have to reload again.

Honestly, other than the various bugs in the OA, I really do adore the game so far!

addict
addict
Originally Posted by MayaH

- I worry that companions will be hard-set and won't truly change throughout the story. Mainly because it's using 5e 'alignment' system and I never really liked that in the first place, it feels constraining. I think the easiest example I can think of is with Astarion who is quite CE but I hope that progressing through the game, we - the player - have chances to lead him onto a different path. Neither good nor bad, just give us the option to change opinions without sacrificing the way they see us. Essentially, I hope the work we put into relationships (platonic or romantic) is rewarded in a way. Again, with Astarion, I've been trying to appeal to his personality and humour but I also don't want to be a murder-hobo (which if you're going solely for his approval, he encourages) but in terms of his story, there's clearly hints of a confronation with Cazador (even the possibility of killing Cazador and allowing Astarion to become a full vampire) at which point I hope the work we've put into gaining his trust won't be thrown out just for 'the twist' or a random roll of the dice. I use Astarion as he's the easiest to think of examples for, but I hope it'll be like that with all the characters. I know everyone will want to play the game differently, some won't care about their companions whilst others do. I just hope that if we do actuvely try to appeal to them, we won't be shafted later down the line for the sake of a 'twist'. Like I've really been struggling to get Shadowheart's approval and sometimes it'll just go down because I failed a role, and it's a bit tricky. I'm fine with it taking longer, it's just I don't want my effort to then be thrown out the window!

Just want to say… That's what I'm most afraid of. In other games, no one good/kind character can be turned into evil. And I don't want evil to be treated differently.
People like you have a lot of other, kind or neutral characters. Use this. Don't push the arc of redemption to evil character, it's not fair to those who act like evil.

For example Wyll leave you after ‘evil way’, and we can't change that. So why should you be able to "change" a character like Astarion? Just because he's evil and not kind? Nah

I'm worried about it. If developers follow this way, the approval system will turn into garbage. Astarion only approves of dirty and evil choices. It sounds like he suddenly has to approve of your good choices. But this is just stupid.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
J
journeyman
journeyman
J
Nebuul; Thanks for pointing that the 'switch' on great weapon master - excellent.

I'm finishing up my second playthrough, this time as a Life Cleric. A couple more suggestions/observations for the developers to consider:

- The high ground mechanic is too powerful. Once you learn how to exploit it most combats are too easy. It should really be toned down some. Maybe a +2 to hit rather than full advantage (which is +5).
- Why does the AI insist on pummeling characters that are already down and making savings throws? It really doesn't make sense. A downed character is out for a minimum of 3 rounds, assuming they make all their saving throws (well, unless they roll a 20, assuming that mechanic is in BG3.) In a 'real' fight, wouldn't you switch focus to an enemy that could still hurt you rather than finishing off a helpless enemy. Plenty of time to end 'dead' enemies after the fight is over.
- When you take a long rest, only the 4 members in your 'active' party are healed and regain spell slots. Seems strange, and penalizes if you want to change out party members during the day.
- Is it just me or do all characters currently making death saving throws always die? I've never had one roll 3 saves and get back up.
- When combat ends and a PC is making death saves, turn based mode should not end. You should have time to get to them and Help or heal them before they die.
- Again, is it just me, or does the AI always seem to target the PC with the lowest hit points? Doesn't always seem to make sense who the AI attacks, bypassing a closer enemy, or one doing them more damage.
- Where are the Cleric spells, Toll the Dead, Spiritual Weapon, Word of Radiance?!! It seems the Cleric was intentionally underpowered for reasons I can't imagine. Spiritual Weapon with Spiritual Guardians (when we get 3rd level spells) is bread and butter for a cleric. Clerics are supposed to be good in combat, not just heal-bots.
- How can the PC's take damage when the program is moving them through ground effects? I'll move my lead character carefully around something like fire, and the other PC's just run through it?!? And actually take damage.
- Has Devil's Sight been fixed yet?
- Is there a way to change the direction your character facing? Since it matter for the enemy to hit you, you should be able to turn them without using movement.
- Again, the long rest short rest thing needs to be addressed. Since there is already a built in time pressure to get the tadpole out of your head, use that as a mechanism to deter taking long rests too often. If you take to many long rests the tadpole does something bad to you. Then allow 2 or 3 short rests a day. This will make martial characters stronger in relation to spellcaster, since spellcasters will have to ration resources. It also helps balance the Warlock versus the Wizard. Reduce the number of scrolls. Make it so casters can only use scroll for their class, and that Wizards can only learn wizard spells from scrolls.
- With the power of the high ground mechanic Repelling Blast is crazy powerful. Enemies blasted off high ground should take fall damage, and they do not. But, even with that, just knocking them down is a real penalty (maybe that's why they don't take damage?) I'd rather see the high ground advantage reduced and fall damage included.

A few bugs I ran into:
- I did the 'free the Artist' side quest, and for some reason when I returned to the Hideout everyone attacked me. Happened at least 3 times. I reloaded, did some other things, and tried again and it worked fine.
- I found out Khaga was with the evil druids and confronted her. When I confronted her, she said "What!" and the scene locked up. I switched characters and was able to move around, while all the other characters had the dialog balloons showing they were still talking. I was able to go to Khaga, attack her, and just wail away on her until I killed her. She didn't respond at all. After she died, combat started between the PC's and some of the Druids against other druids. I never saw the evil druids at all.
- I tried to get the owlbear cub at the goblin camp. I used animal speaking to talk to the cub. I passed the rolls to have it run through the posts at least three times, but it never worked.
- With Gut, I followed her back to her room and attacked her. Since the first thing she does is yell for help, I cast a silence spell. When her turn came, she still yelled for help and goblins responded, even with the silence spell in effect!

Lastly, Shadowheart is a very weak build. I used a gold dwarf with better strength and con and the character was much more effective. Overall, the Cleric class could use some help by getting real attack spells.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I know all of this has been mentioned, but adding my thoughts to the pot:

The romance is simply too fast. In DOS2 it took until the end of chapter 3 for a fully developed romance. I felt it was way too rushed. I did think the Gale romance was well written, but it would have been better had there been a lot more development.

Looking forward, if it is true that there is a plan to put a ten-level limit, I hope that is reconsidered and raised to perhaps 15. Ten allows little latitude for playing around with multiclass builds and variations, which are really my favourite things.

And OMG please fix sticking everything that you pick up on the quick bar. Please. Please!

The companion chat in groups is good, but they don't interact at all in camp. That seems to me to be a lack.

The ability for Wizards to learn absolutely any spell is a problem. The only limitation on them now is their very limited number of spell slots. As they get higher that is going to totally unbalance the class.

Last but what really bugs me the most is PLEASE put in at least one female companion who is neither crazy nor constantly shouty. Please. Strong women don't have to be mean or yell all the time. In Origins 1 remember Liliana? It can be done. (And if you'd like to just execute Shadowheart, that would be fine with me)

Last edited by Albannach; 17/11/20 06:03 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Albannach
I
Looking forward, if it is true that there is a plan to put a ten-level limit, I hope that is reconsidered and raised to perhaps 15. Ten allows little latitude for playing around with multiclass builds and variations, which are really my favourite things.

They said they reconsidered the level cap and that we'll most likely be able to go slightly above 10. We don't know by how much though.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Thanks for the update. I had missed that from them. I do hope they do go at least slightly above, even though not to epic levels.

stranger
stranger
After playing the game near 200 hours and giving another big modern 5e game a try (Solasta) I think I see what it feels like BG III is missing. Here's a brief pro con for the early access.
Gameplay:
+BG III feels like a great homebrew campaign with many alterations to spells and spell-like abilities.
+Great work on cinematics and mocaps.
+Early mod support means early mod communities means great mods and health for the game!
-Non grid-based combat
Characters:
+/- Party members are deep characters that are unique but feel like npcs made by the GM to support a player rather than party members. Although each character that was created for BG III is deep and intriguing especially on neutral and evil playthroughs, they feel less like characters at a table made by players and more like npcs made to flex in moralities with the players actions. This could be due to the limitations of EA but as of this moment the only character in game that doesn't come across as a neutral or evil aligned is strictly Wyll (who is clearly chaotic good) in the early state the game is in, forcing certain parties to form (no good aligned warrior to balance a party as La'ezel is designed as a jedi devil's advocate and is the only non-player warrior type in game atm). Shadowheart tends to come off less like someone aloof and secretive (as what seems intentional knowing her story thus far) and instead just seems like a real jerk (which leaves no healer option). While I personally am a fan of trying to get everyone together to ensure they don't undergo ceramorphosis (or maybe something worse baring spoilers) at some point, I am keenly aware it can be a bit of a turn off of the game for particular characters harshly judging every choice you make and may fight you to the death at some point.
Combat:
+combat is ferocious and tactile with many options for combat solutions and styles.
-Something BG III is missing for combat is readied actions.
-disengage should be nerfed and restricted to a feat, incorporated with roguish-classes for balance probably.
-cover system is unclear, missing, or intentionally excluded.

stranger
stranger
Here is my take on cover, as a response to Gearcompass
Normally D&D 5e doesn't have hig ground or low ground, which BG3 does. BG3 does however not have cover, which 5e has. In my eyes the high ground mechanics are an replacement for the cover rules. It serves the same purpose as cover, and probably has less calculations than cover could need therefore speeding up combat loading times.

veteran
veteran
Here is a link to my post from another thread: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=738662#Post738662

I did not read everything above.
The list in the first post is nice, but I would add two topics to the UI part:
- We absolutely need a spell menu.
A hotbar may have been OK for D:OS2 were you have each ability only once.
In 5E you can cast every spell at its own level or higher. Some spells can be used again under some conditions (deal damage as bonus action every round, apply the effect to another target, . . . ).
With the current system a lv1 spell with a repeated effect will have 10 icons for high level chars: 9 for each spell level and one to cast it again.
Also, your spell book will look terrible. For every spell level you have the spells of this level and all spells from all lower levels because you could cast them as this level.

- It would be really nice if there was a way to move things from one page of the hotbar to another.
Sorting your abilities in the hotbar is a PITA now.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
C
stranger
stranger
C

Great idea!!!!!!! have an icon that opens up all memorized spells of all spell levels of same spells to save space!!!

Page 34 of 41 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 40 41

Link Copied to Clipboard