Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
MatronPain #735086 16/11/20 02:59 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by MatronPain
They will possibly start listening when the money they've made so far runs out and they need good reviews to sell more copies.

Or they'll abandon the project, pocket the cash and start another cash-quick enterprise making money out of an old title.

Either way, this is only speculation just like every other post on this forum, as without communication from Larry there can be no informed answers.

I've already uninstalled BG3 on the laptop as it takes too much room for something I'm already bored of. Debating whether or not to do the same on the PC.

Would another patch stop this? Not unless there was some new, real content or a few more levels to get some decent aoe spells, or dare I say it, a 6 man team. Bug fixes aren't going to rekindle my interest.

They wanted fast cash, they got it.

For some reason of all the ea games I've had (probably around 50) and all the AD&D games (probably all ever made for the pc) this one has managed to bore the pants off me. I'm not sure why, maybe its the lack of content, maybe I've moved on in gaming terms or maybe its the horrific price still playing on my mind.

I'd never heard of this company before I got this game. Can't wait to forget them.

Cry me a river.

Abits #735088 16/11/20 03:03 PM
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by MatronPain
They will possibly start listening when the money they've made so far runs out and they need good reviews to sell more copies.

Or they'll abandon the project, pocket the cash and start another cash-quick enterprise making money out of an old title.

They wanted fast cash, they got it.

For some reason of all the ea games I've had (probably around 50) and all the AD&D games (probably all ever made for the pc) this one has managed to bore the pants off me. I'm not sure why, maybe its the lack of content, maybe I've moved on in gaming terms or maybe its the horrific price still playing on my mind.

I'd never heard of this company before I got this game. Can't wait to forget them.

I don't believe that any of this is true, but I'm willing to give you the attention that you were craving by acknowledging how silly it is.

Originally Posted by Abits

That's a lot of bullshit for such a small comment. Come on man. You talk as if this is something Larian does with all of their EAs.

Regarding the main topic - it all boils down to how patient you are. I am a little more patient than you, but I do agree that the longer Larian will keep since, the less confindenc we will have in their intentions. There is a limit to how much time we are gonna give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm still willing to wait and see, but I expect some form of response soon.

And I completely agree about your technical complaints. However, I just think it's important to mention that final version of dos2 is the best crpg I've ever played performance wise

If this game were being made in the same engine as DOS1 and DOS2, I wouldn't have any concerns about the performance issues.
With this being a new engine in a new entry in a beloved old series and completely new territory for them on both fronts, they're having to work to find a fine line between focusing on making it true to Baldur's Gate and making it work properly. If these forums alone are any indication of what problems the game has, and if Larian were to actually check in and see what the common complaints are, they'd see hundreds of "This is DOS3 and not BG3" posts, but they'd have to dig deep to find posts about performance issues, so the chances of performance being prioritized over making the game unique enough to stave off the naysayers is pretty low.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

MatronPain #735116 16/11/20 04:42 PM
addict
addict
*looking wistfully across a pixelated landscape* gamers, gamers never change

alice_ashpool #735305 17/11/20 12:13 AM
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool

Crazy that a long-time, faithful consumer would make a reasonable post venting their frustrations because they're disappointed about the weeks of dead air in regards to an unfinished product that they purchased.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

Tzelanit #735309 17/11/20 12:21 AM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool

Crazy that a long-time, faithful consumer would make a reasonable post venting their frustrations because they're disappointed about the weeks of dead air in regards to an unfinished product that they purchased.

Grow up entitled much? They could literally not release anything until the final product if they wanted. Be happy for whatever they give. It's been barely 2 weeks since the last hotfix. Patch 3 is obviously being diligently worked on. But please go ahead and defend the paranoid lunacy that OP dished up. SMH.

Tzelanit #735335 17/11/20 01:13 AM
addict
addict
People are really impatient and demanding. I don't really expect any significant changes before 6 months.

USD 60 for a game? It is quite cheap actually considering inflation. These games are product of huge investments. Square-Enix just had 60 million loss from Avengers which sold 4 million units.

If you followed the game since reveal, you know what you would get at EA. And, honestly, I think they overdelivered.

IrenicusBG3 #735338 17/11/20 01:20 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3
People are really impatient and demanding. I don't really expect any significant changes before 6 months.

USD 60 for a game? It is quite cheap actually considering inflation. These games are product of huge investments. Square-Enix just had 60 million loss from Avengers which sold 4 million units.

If you followed the game since reveal, you know what you would get at EA. And, honestly, I think they overdelivered.

Compared to dos2 ea, it is a lot.

fallenj #735342 17/11/20 01:26 AM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by fallenj
Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3

Compared to dos2 ea, it is a lot.

As Swen said, BG3 budget is multiple times DOS 1+2 combined.

Tzelanit #735343 17/11/20 01:27 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Just what type of PC you have OP? Mine is SLIGHTLY above recommended requirements and I can run the game on ultra with minimal problems. The game will crash once in a while and that is all.

Now my PC has: Intel i7 6700K (I didn't bother overclocking this, so it's sitting at it's default 4.0 GHz), 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 980Ti and obviously I have an SSD. Technically speaking, my processor is better than what they recommend (Intel i7 4770k), but my graphic card is on about the same level as the recommended one (Nvidia GTX 1060 - my husband actually has that one, but my 980Ti and his both have 6GB Vram, but I am pretty sure 1060 is capable of a few more things than my 980Ti), RAM is at the recommended. And no, I'm not flexing or anything, I am genuinelly curious dahell is in your PC and how old is it, I bought my PC 4,5 years ago, back then, it was more or less a beast, nowadays? Meh, it's doing fine.

Probably by the time BG3 is fully released I might have an entirely new rig. Depends on how long it takes to release and how badly Cyberpunk 2077 is going to fry my PC's insides.

As to your general complaint, I can see where you are coming from, but err, I don't want to beat a dead horse by saying... it's an EA. Obviously the game is not fully optimized, ridden with bugs and generally unfinished (we kinda signed up on that one the moment we purchased the game)... and the only thing that bothers me, personally, about Larian's communication is that they do communicate, but they do it via twitter... and I hate that cesspool of a website, I legit use it only like once or twice a week and even then, I consider it too much. I know, not very millennial of me. So no, you are kinda wrong, they do communicate, but Larian just assumes that majority of people sit on TWATTOR daily.

Tzelanit #735364 17/11/20 02:59 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
So I have only skimmed the comments, but I didn't scan anything that caused me to question my instincts on this.

If any of you have ever had to head up a project, nothing you have seen from Larian should surprise you. Feasibility is their primary concern, bugs, even small ones, need to be eradicated otherwise they will promulgate throughout and ultimately inhibit future efforts. It needs to work first before it can be improved upon. It's been what? Six weeks? We have gotten half a dozen to a dozen hot fixes and at least two major updates that I have noticed. That's not bad productivity for a company of only a hundred or so people, of which you can write off at least a third as directors, creatives, human resources, quality assurance and publicists/market research. They will put the things that interest them into their time table and work it in as opportunities avail themselves. Never lose sight of the fact that even before EA, they had their hours charted and set with benchmarks and goals they needed to hit just to make release. Our input will shape how those things are attained, but they aren't sitting there waiting on our collective genius to guide them through development or hovering in an animation loop waiting to pounce on our suggestions.

Patience motherfuckers.

Are they checking the forums? Sure, but they probably don't have personnel, or even a person, reading every post. Every industry has been altered by data aggregates. Most likely they have an algorithm tracking key words (things they are worried about) and popular phrases or references (things wihch the community may be worried about) which highlight specific subject matter skimmed by someone a couple times a week for maybe an hour or less for calibration meetings. Are they going to respond? If they are using their time and assets wisely they will respond by working things into the game and not with little videos and newsletters. Mileage may vary, but I prefer to see progress than hear about it and if we are lucky they are of a similar mind. I have noticed some suggestions being tested, I am sure you have too. My inventory stopped shuffling every time I spoke to a merchant. Day 1 I had to jump Us across the breach on the snail ship, now it jumps itself which I have a feeling will be leading to all party members eventually having their own pathfinding for that purpose -but as jump rates are dictated by strength and even some of the companions we have access to would have difficulty clearing a puddle, I imagine this is a lot more complicated than it looks and probably won't be obvious for some time yet.

So, contribute to the board or don't, but remember you aren't a shareholder and you aren't part of the project so accept we aren't at all entitled to any notifications. Beside which, just because they are willing to try and accommodate suggestions does not mean they can guarantee success or final implementation. They may be being silent simply because they simply don't want to disappoint anyone. Whatever their reasons, let them fucking work and get off their backs about it

Last edited by DistantStranger; 17/11/20 03:14 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by DistantStranger
So I have only skimmed the comments, but I didn't scan anything that caused me to question my instincts on this.

If any of you have ever had to head up a project, nothing you have seen from Larian should surprise you. Feasibility is their primary concern, bugs, even small ones, need to be eradicated otherwise they will promulgate throughout and ultimately inhibit future efforts. It needs to work first before it can be improved upon. It's been what? Six weeks? We have gotten half a dozen to a dozen hot fixes and at least two major updates that I have noticed. That's not bad productivity for a company of only a hundred or so people, of which you can write off at least a third as directors, creatives, human resources, quality assurance and publicists/market research. They will put the things that interest them into their time table and work it in as opportunities avail themselves. Never lose sight of the fact that even before EA, they had their hours charted and set with benchmarks and goals they needed to hit just to make release. Our input will shape how those things are attained, but they aren't sitting there waiting on our collective genius to guide them through development or hovering in an animation loop waiting to pounce on our suggestions.

Patience motherfuckers.

Are they checking the forums? Sure, but they probably don't have personnel, or even a person, reading every post. Every industry has been altered by data aggregates. Most likely they have an algorithm tracking key words (things they are worried about) and popular phrases or references (things wihch the community may be worried about) which highlight specific subject matter skimmed by someone a couple times a week for maybe an hour or less for calibration meetings. Are they going to respond? If they are using their time and assets wisely they will respond by working things into the game and not with little videos and newsletters. Mileage may vary, but I prefer to see progress than hear about it and if we are lucky they are of a similar mind. I have noticed some suggestions being tested, I am sure you have too. My inventory stopped shuffling every time I spoke to a merchant. Day 1 I had to jump Us across the breach on the snail ship, now it jumps itself which I have a feeling will be leading to all party members eventually having their own pathfinding for that purpose -but as jump rates are dictated by strength and even some of the companions we have access to would have difficulty clearing a puddle, I imagine this is a lot more complicated than it looks and probably won't be obvious for some time yet.

So, contribute to the board or don't, but remember you aren't a shareholder and you aren't part of the project so accept we aren't at all entitled to any notifications. Beside which, just because they are willing to try and accommodate suggestions does not mean they can guarantee success or final implementation. They may be being silent simply because they simply don't want to disappoint anyone. Whatever their reasons, let them fucking work and get off their backs about it

Wow...a well-written voice of reason with some attitude mixed in. Love It.

Tzelanit #735373 17/11/20 03:29 AM
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I'm so flabbergasted over how people are reacting in regards to this. Spewing tantrums and accusations.

Folks, Larian warned you that EA was not for someone who wanted a finished product. By purchasing EA, you are paying access to the game early to help in creating the final product, to make the best of THEIR project, not dictate what their game should. That is Larian's decision to make, they are the developers, we aren't. We chose to consume this early, we chose to help out by finding bugs and such. Our purchase does not mean we get to twist their arm and tell them what to do. Our purchase does not make us the developer, we are not in charge. This is their product that we decided to consume early and now you're whining about it. Shouldn't have bought early access if you can't handle slow updates and lots of work. For all we know, they are very overwhelmed by several criticisms and are trying to come up with an attack plan. I'd rather not have an update until I have a full plan of action.

Anyone with game development experience knows that creating a set schedule, meeting those deadlines, and adding MORE on top of that, is difficult especially when each decision is worth thousands of dollars. Mass Effect 3's Citadel DLC had a scene where a toothbrush was rendered for a single moment. They admitted just to have that render took thousands of dollars. Curb your negativity and wait. The customer is not always right. That is why we have these forums to discuss the bugs and suggestions, not tell a successful game development company they are trash because "Senpai" didn't notice you.

Last edited by SecondAchaius; 17/11/20 03:31 AM.
Tzelanit #735374 17/11/20 03:45 AM
addict
addict
BioWare used to participate in the Baldur's Gate forums quite a bit. I can recall many posts by David Gaider, Derek French, an occasional note from Greg Zeschuk, Mark Darrah, Ben Smedsted, and even crotchety but wonderful John Winski who hated online forums and posted only to complain about them, ha ha. I appreciated all of them for making the online community integral to the product development, even if only in small ways. I know many ideas discussed on the 'boards did end up as features (inventory management!), incidents, or even characters in the first BG games. Maybe that community spirit was an element of what made Baldur's Gate so special compared to the other excellent titles at that time?

I too would love to meet some of the Larian people here in the forums and hear what they think, but I understand that they probably would have to post on their own time, and who wants to talk about work on their own nickel, eh? Certainly not me. I think of the old Aesop fable, the North Wind and the Sun. The Wind was claiming he was more powerful than the Sun, so the Sun said, OK, see that man down there wearing the cloak? Let's have a contest, and whoever gets the man to remove his cloak wins. The Wind agreed and blew furiously and even knocked the man over, but the man just clutched his cloak even tighter. Eventually the Wind gave up. The Sun then softly shone warm light down upon the man, and kept shining for a length of time. Eventually the man relaxed, and started to feel a little too warm, and so he took off his cloak. Some say the moral of the story is "Gentleness and kind persuasion win where force and bluster fail." That's a pleasant and practical thought, but I sometimes wonder whether some might derive from this fable that the trick is to set up the game so that you can win.

Argyle #735420 17/11/20 06:53 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Argyle
BioWare used to participate in the Baldur's Gate forums quite a bit. I can recall many posts by David Gaider, Derek French, an occasional note from Greg Zeschuk, Mark Darrah, Ben Smedsted, and even crotchety but wonderful John Winski who hated online forums and posted only to complain about them, ha ha. I appreciated all of them for making the online community integral to the product development, even if only in small ways. I know many ideas discussed on the 'boards did end up as features (inventory management!), incidents, or even characters in the first BG games. Maybe that community spirit was an element of what made Baldur's Gate so special compared to the other excellent titles at that time?

I too would love to meet some of the Larian people here in the forums and hear what they think, but I understand that they probably would have to post on their own time, and who wants to talk about work on their own nickel, eh? Certainly not me. I think of the old Aesop fable, the North Wind and the Sun. The Wind was claiming he was more powerful than the Sun, so the Sun said, OK, see that man down there wearing the cloak? Let's have a contest, and whoever gets the man to remove his cloak wins. The Wind agreed and blew furiously and even knocked the man over, but the man just clutched his cloak even tighter. Eventually the Wind gave up. The Sun then softly shone warm light down upon the man, and kept shining for a length of time. Eventually the man relaxed, and started to feel a little too warm, and so he took off his cloak. Some say the moral of the story is "Gentleness and kind persuasion win where force and bluster fail." That's a pleasant and practical thought, but I sometimes wonder whether some might derive from this fable that the trick is to set up the game so that you can win.

Same, I miss the time where every game or hobby had its own dedicated forum where you could talk with other enthusiasts or read comments made by the developers to gain an insight in the game's background.
Even though the forums still exist many of them have become desolate wastelands overtime. It certainly doesn't help that the userbase also is spread all over the internet now instead of gathering on the same site. You have people who use these forums as their primary platform for discussion, but then you also have people who use the Steam forums, Reddit and other miscellaneous sites. The developers themselves either stick to themselves or use social media platforms like Twitter where you aren't guaranteed to get a response if you ask a question.
It is what it is

old hand
old hand

Patience motherfuckers.

All of this. Everything quoted above is correct.

enthusiast
enthusiast
So I have only skimmed the comments........

Me too, don't you just hate those long winded condescending lectures from people who believe because they had a job once they know best? Phew! Glad there is at least some people willing to tell people "how it is". Otherwise we would never know, best everyone stop having an opinion now.

On the other hand maybe it is safe to assume that other people have managed projects and done stuff in their life too? Narr can't be true..... Maybe "the customer", you know the million or so people who just purchased their product, is worth 5 minutes a week from one of the 380 staff at Larian to say....hello? Or would the shareholders object? Seriously you must have project managed a series of successful AAA titles to warrent this level of condescending drivel.

At the end of the day it is Larians best interest to pay token lip service even if it is a simple acknowledgement of existence. A forum post like this one takes 3 minutes maybe. Hardly 400 man hours. It doesn't matter to me what feedback we get from Larian at this stage. BUT to say "I skimmed though all your garbage and got the gist now let me educate you peasants" and feel this is a respectful reponse to a plethora people asking for a little feedback? Lets face it, full price EA is a favor to the devs not the player.

Tzelanit #735444 17/11/20 09:06 AM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
I'm honestly convinced that essentially all of the criticism, suggestions, and requests that the people playing through Early Access are making are of no consequence to anyone in an official capacity to do something about it. ... isn't on anyone's radar who could actually deliver any of the results that people are looking for...there's not been any official word or even a nod that any of the concerns have been acknowledged...by the silence and blatant disregard from a company that I used to love so much

As posted in another thread, the facts clearly dispute your premise:

Larian responding to a feedback thread: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=94360&Number=731263#Post731263
Larian commenting that they are working on fixing a problem: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=87598&Number=731133#Post731133
Larian thanking us for the feedback we have been providing and giving us a hotfix: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=93920&Number=723217#Post723217
Larian thanking us for our feedback and asking us to continue. https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=87468&Number=677655#Post677655
And that's just here in these forums.

What about a quote from the man himself a week ago where he says they are listening to people's complaints and considering ways to address them: “We see the people that have really bad luck, and they are really, really angry over it. So, we're going to help them. We're going to add modes to the game that are going to go with things like a loaded die, and that's going to be a bit more manageable. We'll still keep the option of having full RNG in there. We'll experiment with that throughout early access, and see what we should make the default option. That's one of the things that will be driven by the analytics.” https://www.ign.com/articles/baldurs-gate-3-early-access-changes-player-data-feedback-larian

#endthisthread

Tzelanit #735449 17/11/20 09:27 AM
addict
addict
Boggles my mind that there are people out there so angry about video games. Fuming angry. Apoplectic with rage. Video games were a mistake imo.

Tzelanit #735451 17/11/20 09:30 AM
old hand
old hand
Down with video games! Free the pixels! Miniature American flags for everyone!

Tzelanit #735452 17/11/20 09:31 AM
A
Ari Offline
journeyman
journeyman
A
Why doesn’t everyone just sit back and let Larian prove the other side wrong? You can gloat and fume to your hearts content after the fact.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard