Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
It'll be great if there is an alternative way of getting her pursuers off her back, as otherwise, she'd never join my camp on my good-aligned characters.

I don't find the reason for killing Anders and his team compelling, ethically speaking. We learn from the dead man that they formed a pact with Zariel. But if we were to kill anyone who has formed pacts with beings from the Hells, then we should strike Wyll dead too. You might say that Wyll is trying to do good with his powers. But so are Anders and his team. They were killing gnolls while in pursuit of Karlach.

They deceived the player character that they were paladins, but Anders seemed to genuinely believe that Karlach was dangerous, as even after confessing the truth of their pact with Zariel to you and you told them you would not help them kill Karlach, Anders accepted your decision and asked you to be careful with Karlach nonetheless.

addict
addict
I don't like how her situation hinges on her being too injured to move when she has only lost 4 HP and so many healing spells and potions exist. That is partly a meta issue but surely any kind of healing should work.

A
Ari Offline
journeyman
journeyman
A
I would question how a level three could be such a great demon slayer that she became Zariel’s pet dog, rather than just another faceless arrow cushion in the blood war, but we already have wyl and Gale in our camp...

I also wonder how, in the chaos that was the nautiloid’s entrance into hell, she was both able to sneak on board and get an infant frog jabbed into her eye. One would think the mind flayers both lacked the time and had better things to do. Like trying really hard not to get killed.

Last edited by Ari; 17/11/20 12:01 PM.
Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Originally Posted by Vhaldez
I don't like how her situation hinges on her being too injured to move when she has only lost 4 HP and so many healing spells and potions exist. That is partly a meta issue but surely any kind of healing should work.

Yeah, I'd rather that I healed her up and then she settled her own problem before I decide if I want her in my camp.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Passerby
Yeah, I'd rather that I healed her up and then she settled her own problem before I decide if I want her in my camp.
There's also the issue of her being an origin character, so this story has to make sense from her perspective as well. Do you have to kill the cultists if you are Karlach, or can you just run away?

Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Originally Posted by Ari
I would question how a level three could be such a great demon slayer that she became Zariel’s pet dog, rather than just another faceless arrow cushion in the blood war, but we already have wyl and Gale in our camp...

I also wonder how, in the chaos that was the nautiloid’s entrance into hell, she was both able to sneak on board and get an infant frog jabbed into her eye. One would think the mind flayers both lacked the time and had better things to do. Like trying really hard not to get killed.

Yeah, her story and her timeline just don't match up. She saw the Nautilus in Avernus being attacked by demons, and then somehow managed to get aboard and then get put in one of the chambers to get tadpoled, all while the mindflayers, as you say, are fighting for their lives.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Ari

She mentions having had much greater power in the hells than what she still has.

Last edited by Dexai; 17/11/20 12:29 PM.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Ari

Yeah, her story and her timeline just don't match up. She saw the Nautilus in Avernus being attacked by demons, and then somehow managed to get aboard and then get put in one of the chambers to get tadpoled, all while the mindflayers, as you say, are fighting for their lives.

Well, let me rectify that a bit. She saw the nautiloid being attacked by devils, her allies in Avernus before she fled, and managed to get aboard thanks to the situation. And according to what happens on the main deck, mindflayers are in a very bad position to win the fight anyway. So she has plenty of opportunities to hide inside the ship before it teleports away.

Last edited by Nyanko; 17/11/20 12:31 PM.
A
Ari Offline
journeyman
journeyman
A
Originally Posted by Dexai
Originally Posted by Ari

She mentions having had much greater power in the hells than what she still has.

So, wyll and gale’s situation. Must have missed that dialogue.

Originally Posted by Nyanko
Originally Posted by Ari

Well, let me rectify that a bit. She saw the nautiloid being attacked by devils, her allies in Avernus before she fled, and managed to get aboard thanks to the situation. And according to what happens on the main deck, mindflayers are in a very bad position to win the fight anyway. So she has plenty of opportunities to hide inside the ship before it teleports away.

I am aware of that. My question is how she did that and get tadpoled. The mindflayers were, after all, in a bad position.

Last edited by Ari; 17/11/20 12:38 PM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Ari
Originally Posted by Dexai
Originally Posted by Ari

So, wyll and gale’s situation. Must have missed that dialogue.

Originally Posted by Ari

I am aware of that. My question is how she did that and get tadpoled. The mindflayers were, after all, in a bad position.

Maybe she's not. I don't think Larian stated all the companions would have a tadpole in their head. Maybe there are two types of companions in this regard. Because it seems we will meet some after act 1.

enthusiast
enthusiast
There's also the issue of her being an origin character, so this story has to make sense from her perspective as well. Do you have to kill the cultists if you are Karlach, or can you just run away?

My guess would be that if you choose to play as Karlach you're given the opportunity to spare them, but the game and her story will heavily lean towards making you kill them.
Essentially giving you the choice but still heavily suggesting that your choice isn't 'intended' or canon.

addict
addict
Maybe she's not. I don't think Larian stated all the companions would have a tadpole in their head. Maybe there are two types of companions in this regard. Because it seems we will meet some after act 1.
How did Minsc get tadpoled?

A
Ari Offline
journeyman
journeyman
A

She does have a tadpole. You have the obligatory exchange of memory and you are able to question why she seems so unconcerned about it.

Do recall Larian toying with the idea of having some non-tadpoled companions though...

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Ari

She does have a tadpole. You have the obligatory exchange of memory and you are able to question why she seems so unconcerned about it.

Do recall Larian toying with the idea of having some non-tadpoled companions though...

We see a glimpse of her memory. There is no exchange the other way around, which happens with all the other companions who can read our own mind. To me, it doesn't count much as an indicator she has a tadpole. Because if she has had one, we could have used it to check if she was lying or not about the zariel followers story.

Last edited by Nyanko; 17/11/20 12:50 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

Conversely I'm fairly sure they said the opposite - that there'd be companions who weren't tadpoled.

A
Ari Offline
journeyman
journeyman
A
Forgive me, I was a bit unclear in my last post. You are able to question why she is unconcerned about the tadpole. Not the memory exchange, specifically the tadpole.

Last edited by Ari; 17/11/20 12:54 PM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Ari
Forgive me, I was a bit unclear in my last post. You are able to question why she is unconcerned about the tadpole. Not the memory exchange, specifically the tadpole.

Are you sure it's not about the tadpole we have in our own head? Cause she feels our intrusion into her mind.

Did you happen to take a screenshot by any chance?

Last edited by Nyanko; 17/11/20 12:55 PM.
A
Ari Offline
journeyman
journeyman
A
Originally Posted by Ari

Are you sure it's not about the tadpole we have in our own head? Cause she feels our intrusion into her mind.

Did you happen to take a screenshot by any chance?

Neither have a screenshot on me nor the ability to take one in the near future. But I recall this being a dialogue option after you redecorate the interior of the cabin with the interiors of the fallen paladin. The tiefling sits in ea limbo after that, forever ready to accept a quest turn in, but you are not able to progress dualogue to the point where she joins your party, or make for baldurs gate to go attack, in her words, “politicians.”

Wait? They confirmed he is in?

It'll be great if there is an alternative way of getting her pursuers off her back, as otherwise, she'd never join my camp on my good-aligned characters.

I don't find the reason for killing Anders and his team compelling, ethically speaking. We learn from the dead man that they formed a pact with Zariel. But if we were to kill anyone who has formed pacts with beings from the Hells, then we should strike Wyll dead too. You might say that Wyll is trying to do good with his powers. But so are Anders and his team. They were killing gnolls while in pursuit of Karlach.

They deceived the player character that they were paladins, but Anders seemed to genuinely believe that Karlach was dangerous, as even after confessing the truth of their pact with Zariel to you and you told them you would not help them kill Karlach, Anders accepted your decision and asked you to be careful with Karlach nonetheless.

If it eases your guilt, even if these cultists may be friendly to you, sympathetic motives or no, they are trying to damn someone to hell. servitude and torture until one’s soul mercifully burns away like a candle.

Also, in wyl’s defense, he has come to regret his pact and is seeking a way out. And, as far as we know, his pact has not led to the damning of third parties.

N
old hand
old hand
N
For me, it's very unlikely she has a tadpole. The only way I would see it possible is if she was completely lying on how she got back to the forgotten realms with us.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ari

Wait? They confirmed he is in?
He's in the files as a placeholder character and there are a number of voice lines that refer to a certain hamster by name. It seems he will be selectable from the start, which begs the question as to how the story plays out as him when you are not tadpoled and none of the Absolute cutscenes trigger for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard