#735574 17/11/20 02:42 PM
Z
Zzealot Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Z
Reactions are an important part of dnd5

Please add Shield and Counterspell spells, they are very cool and useful. Just look at how they are implemented in Solasta, almost perfect.

It would also be great to expand the functionality of the Misty step spell so that it can be used as a reaction, moving the mage to a random location outside the AoE spells.

Also consider "Ready" or "Overwatch" feature, this makes turn based combat much more tactical, again Solasta is a good example.

Last edited by Zzealot; 17/11/20 02:44 PM.
Zzealot #735580 17/11/20 03:19 PM
veteran
veteran
I couldn't agree more

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Zzealot #735588 17/11/20 03:45 PM
old hand
old hand
Solasta did the reactions perfectly well, but BG3 seems to have "automatic reactions", which means you might counterspell silly spells. I don't know how they will implement stuff like Counterspell unless they also give you an option to choose when you use it.

Zzealot #735593 17/11/20 03:55 PM
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
There is a lot of things you might ask about, if they can implement without interrupt mechanic (not a D&D term, but basically: decision is to be made outside your normal turn), but reactions are the most prominent.

Other stuff include Lucky feat & Portent (lvl 2 divination wizard), deciding if you want to do AoO or keep reaction for something else, Divine Smite during AoO...

Last edited by mg666; 17/11/20 03:55 PM.
Z
Zzealot Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Z
Originally Posted by andreasrylander
Solasta did the reactions perfectly well, but BG3 seems to have "automatic reactions", which means you might counterspell silly spells. I don't know how they will implement stuff like Counterspell unless they also give you an option to choose when you use it.

Just add activator to reaction section. If active, game asks player to confirm reaction. If not, reaction-spells don't trigger. For Counterspell, it can be light version of spell, reflecting only threats directly pointed at the caster.

Zzealot #735613 17/11/20 04:48 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Reactions absolutely must be implemented and they absolutely must be prompts asking you if you want to use them rather than being toggleable actions that you have no control over.

Zzealot #735617 17/11/20 04:51 PM
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Yeah, some sort of popup does need to exist, even for attacks of opportunity.

Zzealot #735618 17/11/20 04:57 PM
veteran
veteran
+1 for reactions using an interrupt mechanic. It is important for so many reaction spells.

As I and others have stated elsewhere, this doesn't actually slow down combat because it gives you things to do in between PC turns. You get to do more things more often.

Larian could combine their automatic reaction toggles with interrupt prompts as @Zzealot suggests. This would prevent prompts from appearing if you don't want them to. I somewhat worry that this would end up being more work, where each turn you might have to turn off/on multiple spells. At that point, just giving us prompts may be faster.

Also, this is a perfect toggle option. People who want automatic reactions? Flip that toggle switch to 'automatic'. People that want detailed control over reactions: flip that toggle to 'manual.'

Maximuuus #735635 17/11/20 05:44 PM
Z
Zzealot Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Z
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I couldn't agree more

Just saw your compilation topic, great job.

Zzealot #735655 17/11/20 06:25 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zzealot
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I couldn't agree more

Just saw your compilation topic, great job.

Thanks.
Feel free to add your thoughts there.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
mrfuji3 #735731 17/11/20 09:56 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by mrfuji3

Also, this is a perfect toggle option. People who want automatic reactions? Flip that toggle switch to 'automatic'. People that want detailed control over reactions: flip that toggle to 'manual.'

This is how it should be done. Default reactions to how it is now, for the non-D&D-playing masses, but let us change it in the settings to Solasta-style pop-ups for people who want more control.

Link Copied to Clipboard