Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 24 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 24
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Dee_MogII
Has it been mentioned yet that The Absolute is the woman who has been narrating our actions throughout the game? It'd be silly, but very meta if she turned out to be a DM. x)

The narrator in BG1/BG2 is Sarevok's voice actor.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by azarhal
Has it been mentioned yet that The Absolute is the woman who has been narrating our actions throughout the game? It'd be silly, but very meta if she turned out to be a DM. x)

The narrator in BG1/BG2 is Sarevok's voice actor.

Originally Posted by ash elemental
Icewind Dale already did this.

That's right! Could be that's what's being referenced? smile

T
journeyman
journeyman
T

Again, the intro refers to the absolute as a group. "Absolute unity."

If they have a leader it's only to lead the flock itself. But the absolute is more of an idea. A leader you can just kill. But an idea? Much more difficult. That's why the absolute has as much power it does.

As for the absolute itself, someone could be pulling the strings. But they might not be part of the absolute itself. I suspect that's where this is going. Especially since it's already been hinted that the netherese are behind it when trying to find a cure.

Last edited by Taramafor; 19/11/20 05:12 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Surface R
After more playing it feels to me that Shar might be the main culprit, if there is a main. But the dead Three are certainly involved in some way. It may be they made some kind of a pact with Shar, because they are not as strong and powerful anymore, and Shar has her own issues and goals. Several characters describe Absolute as female and i dont think the dead three would easily go for such pretending.

The devils are obviously an outside force in this. Its not their game but they do have interests in it.

Apart from that the only unclear thing is whats the deal with presumed Illithid diety. Is it an actual deity or an impostor.
The mural that is the first thing we see in the game makes it definite there is some sort of religious thing going on with Illithids,although it may be just a part of Illithids, not all of them.

[Linked Image]

There is an elder brain out of whom the chosen one comes forth holding the special staff above kneeling and bowing multitudes.
I have no idea what are the things on the left and right of the figure with the staff, the creatures with two big legs and long tails, bent so their big triangular heads touch the floor. Anyone knows?

-edit-

On a second look, those might be humans leaning back with their shoulders but their heads are unclear. The tentacles , not tails, would then be behind them.

The crowd is also humanoid on the left and right and only the middle row are Illithids.

Bhaalspawn slayers?

E
E
Cyric (one of the Dead Three) holds the portfolio of Lies and a Trickery Domain. His interference can explain a lot.

For now, I'd say it would be nice to see a power play between the Dead Three (who may turn on each other easily, especially closer to the culmination), Shar, Vlaakith, Iolaum, and some devilish powers to boot. It's the one boiling pot with many turns and twists along the way. Or it is a wishful belief that Larian writers can hatch a truly epic plot and not get their wings cut in the process, by Hasbro or whoever.

R
stranger
stranger
R
Originally Posted by Ellenhard
Cyric (one of the Dead Three) holds the portfolio of Lies and a Trickery Domain. His interference can explain a lot.

The Dead Three includes Bane, Myrkul and Bhaal, not Cyric. Besides, by the time of BG3 events Cyric lost most of his portfolio (especially the part related to death) and is imprisoned in his plane.

E
E
Originally Posted by Riful

The Dead Three includes Bane, Myrkul and Bhaal, not Cyric. Besides, by the time of BG3 events Cyric lost most of his portfolio (especially the part related to death) and is imprisoned in his plane.

My bad, thank you for correcting me. Was it in novels, or somewhere else? Who is holding the Portfolio of Lies now, then?

Edit: actually, that would be even more interesting, with Cyric being outside but still plotting, and acting through intermediaries. If he is still a Prince of Lies.

Last edited by Ellenhard; 19/11/20 11:12 AM.
R
stranger
stranger
R
Was it in novels, or somewhere else? Who is holding the Portfolio of Lies now, then?

The portfolio of lies still belongs to Cyric, but now it's his sole portfolio. His imprisonment is mentioned in "The Grand History of the Realms", though I can't say when exactly other parts of his portfolio were returned to resurrected gods. Or how Myrkul and Kelemvor are supposed to share the same portfolio of the god of death now.

R
Banned
Banned
R
So I bought the game and started it. My character is stuck and will not move as soon as game starts. I can rotate camera and open menus but my character is a statue.

--Spam links removed by moderation--

A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
The narrator could be a clue. She does not sound like someone completely neutral.

As
Sylvira Savikas

is likely to show up in the game some things are interesting:
She is an expert on magical puzzle boxes (The gith box) and the outer planes (illithid and forgotten gods connection?)
She lives in Candlekeep so we might revisit the place. A tiefling wizard, infernal contracts, outer planes.
That ties in nicely with some of the speculation here.

The devs also hinted that we would visit another plane and there is a diary entry referring to a strange place that the party seems to get teleported to

Cyric seems to be unable to get involved with much right now. I guess the dead three and some ilithid entity with netherese connections are the most likely candidates right now

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
S
stranger
stranger
S
In that opening cutscene mural, the staff that the mindflayer is holding kind of looks like the Staff of the Moonmaiden that you find where the big battle happened in the Underdark.

A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
A connection between Selune and the Mindflayers would be surprising. But the staff is curious as Mindflayers tend to rely on their psionic powers. What would a Mindflayer do with a staff? It can't just be a symbol of authority because they read each others thoughts and know who he is anyway. Something to extend the range of his control? They want their astral empire back, so they need Nautiloids. But do they need something else to enable communication over extreme distances and between planes?
There is an Interview hinting at a visit to another plane (likely not Avernus) so who knows.

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by ArmouredHedgehog
What would a Mindflayer do with a staff?

Mind flayers sometimes use staves, particularly if they are illithiliches (any sort of arcane staves) or ulitharids (extractor staves). Official art has a few examples.

Another example is the staff of Ancient Penumbra, a psionically-powered staff and artefact with strong ties to the ancient world, Penumbra.

Last edited by Priest; 25/11/20 02:18 AM. Reason: typo

- Priest
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Was it in novels, or somewhere else? Who is holding the Portfolio of Lies now, then?

The portfolio of lies still belongs to Cyric, but now it's his sole portfolio. His imprisonment is mentioned in "The Grand History of the Realms", though I can't say when exactly other parts of his portfolio were returned to resurrected gods. Or how Myrkul and Kelemvor are supposed to share the same portfolio of the god of death now.

i think kelemvor is the god of "the dead" and myrkul is the god (or demigod or whatever) of "death"

veteran
veteran
The god of the undead smile It'spart of the portfolio that Kelemvor refuses to take over. It's essentially a power vacuum story. Unless someone else takes up the portfolios of murder, the undead and death-is-the-ultimate-tryant the dead three will keep coming back.

Banned
Banned
I think Larian is going to pull an Obsidian and basically create a Mask of the Betrayer type of story.
Basically the Dead Three come up with the idea of the Absolute, which is a Mask of ultimate authority that they all give their power to and then spread the religion as far and wide as possible to increase it's power and then they share it equally (lol) which will obviously not work out because they are all scheming bastards. They ultimately want to become the Absolute One, who is actually Three (where have I heard this before?) which obviously pisses off all other deities because that would infringe upon their domain.
Good deities will simply oppose them face to face, while evil deities instead will try to subvert them so that they can take hold of the Mask that is the "Absolute" so they can grab a huge chunk of power for themselves.
Shar and Lolth will both be meddling because they have much to lose if they simply let the other one do their own thing and sitting back (Lolth hates Shar's guts now because Shar took over the portfolio of caverns and the underdark, and Shar naturally expects Lolth to meddle, so she will try to cross her). Cyric is out of the picture because he is in prison. Kelemvor probably has an interest in keeping the dead three in check because they have portfolios closely related to his own. Vlaakith is still not a deity and maybe she hopes to become one.

Basically I think that by the end of the story we will decide who gets to be the absolute. We will be Godmakers (kinda like in PoE).

I expect to be courted by several high level deities. Maybe Jergal wants his powers back?
At any rate the story seems to be about a civil war amongst the evil deities for the most part.

R
stranger
stranger
R
Seeing how the talkative skeleton is reluctant to do almost anything, I think that getting back his powers is the last thing Jergal ever wanted. grin

journeyman
journeyman
Seeing how the talkative skeleton is reluctant to do almost anything, I think that getting back his powers is the last thing Jergal ever wanted. grin

True. The only reason Jergal let the Dead Three have his portfolio to begin with, is because he was tired of his duties.

old hand
old hand

I have a theory that when we see the Absolute in person, it will be the same person who appears to us in a dream. Something similar to the illusion of a witch in a swamp near a teahouse

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
The absolute is the Raven Queen

Page 21 of 24 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 24

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard