Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
stranger
stranger
F
I would prefer a 5 character party, but could work with 4 if there were more companion choices. Right now I dont really like any of the companions. Shadowheart is evil (dont’t trust her). Gale is a bomb waiting to go off (dont trust him). The Gith is bossy and condescending(don’t like her). The rogue is a vampire(need I say more?). And the Warlock has a pact with a devil (ummm, red flag?). I struggle to see how I would let any of them be a travel companion.

E
E
While 5-6 party would be nice, I can do with 4, provided they offer something to balance out the group. While 4 characters is the 5ed standar, you are also supposed to have 1 character for each role. So a group with both Gale and Wyll is unlikely to work, since both are arcane casters. The balance breaks even more if the MC is also spellcaster.

I've read that Larian planned for 8 origin characters that double as companions. That would be nice if that doesn't detract from the custom character story and if there are no incompatibilities among companions. I mean, right now it seems that you have to choose between Laezel and SH, because they don't get along. But if that is the case, someone evil who wants a healer and a tank, might have problems.

Also, I hope that if companions options are limited, they offered chances to make the evil companions be able to work with good chacters and conversely, good companions being able to work with good ones. In dragonlance, Raistlin starts neutral and ends being evil, but he remains loyal to the group because it is his family and friends. That might work. But for that, we need opportunities and conversations to reach understandments. Astarion agreeing to only drink from enemies is a good example. It would be good to see similar things with the others.

Also, I would like to be able to select from all companions to form the group through all the game. Not having to choose after the first act like DOS2. If they are already doing a limited number of companions, I hope there are not more limitations than that.

addict
addict
https://www.ign.com/articles/baldurs-gate-3-early-access-changes-player-data-feedback-larian

Elsewhere, player concerns will be addressed by the introduction of numerous new companion characters. “There's been a group of people complaining about the fact that the companions are snarky and they have to have an opinion,” Vincke reveals. “But we’ve only put the ‘evil’ and the ‘neutral’ ones out there. We haven't put any of the ‘good’ characters in yet, so I think that will balance that.

“I didn't expect people to be that sensitive to how the companions thought of them, and the fact that we didn't put the ‘good’ characters in there,” he admits. “I didn't see that one coming. In hindsight, it's cool because it means [players] care.”

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by EMC_V
While 5-6 party would be nice, I can do with 4, provided they offer something to balance out the group. While 4 characters is the 5ed standar, you are also supposed to have 1 character for each role. So a group with both Gale and Wyll is unlikely to work, since both are arcane casters. The balance breaks even more if the MC is also spellcaster.

I've read that Larian planned for 8 origin characters that double as companions. That would be nice if that doesn't detract from the custom character story and if there are no incompatibilities among companions. I mean, right now it seems that you have to choose between Laezel and SH, because they don't get along. But if that is the case, someone evil who wants a healer and a tank, might have problems.

Also, I hope that if companions options are limited, they offered chances to make the evil companions be able to work with good chacters and conversely, good companions being able to work with good ones.[...]

While the gameplay can get a bit more repetitive with multiple of the same classes, it still works. Gale + Wyll + PC caster + Other is a perfectly fine party composition. The other could be a fighter or a rogue or really anything. 5e has a much lower focus on class-specific actions (e.g., all classes can pick locks) and BG3 further reduces these differences through the prevalence of consumables and magic items with spell-like abilities.

Lae'zel and SH totally work in a party together. They banter and snipe at each other because of their dislike, but that can be amusing to watch. I could very easily see their relationship becoming more friendly, or at least more respectful, as the game progresses to later acts.

veteran
veteran
I wish we could get a megathread that combined all of the 6 party threads.

6 party members is essential to get past the DOS3 feel -- hoping the op will also submit via the feedback button.

E
E
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Originally Posted by EMC_V

Also, I hope that if companions options are limited, they offered chances to make the evil companions be able to work with good chacters and conversely, good companions being able to work with good ones.[...]

While the gameplay can get a bit more repetitive with multiple of the same classes, it still works. Gale + Wyll + PC caster + Other is a perfectly fine party composition. The other could be a fighter or a rogue or really anything. 5e has a much lower focus on class-specific actions (e.g., all classes can pick locks) and BG3 further reduces these differences through the prevalence of consumables and magic items with spell-like abilities.

Lae'zel and SH totally work in a party together. They banter and snipe at each other because of their dislike, but that can be amusing to watch. I could very easily see their relationship becoming more friendly, or at least more respectful, as the game progresses to later acts.

While it can work, manu times you need to resort to barrelmancy and things like that. Not that I see anything wrong with that. To be fair, while I dislike the concept of origin characters and like to play custom characters (with background and story arc of their own), I do like the companions. I don't mind that they might be evil or have their own agendas and would like to see their quest/stories while also having my own. I don't mind Laezel and SH arguing if, as you proposed, they learn to get along. Not all relationships need to be based on liking each other.

The way I see it, a story where all those different characters need to learn how to work together to find a salvation is interesting. As it would be some kind of friendly/flirty relationship with someone moraly opposite to your character were you try to redeem/corrupt your friend/lover, while your friend/lover try the opposite. I mean, Sharevoc was your enemy and you end working with him. I can see how helping Astarion get rid of Cazador may made him like you even if you are good and he remains evil. My point is, while I don't want the characters to become nicer, I do want opportunities to reach agreements or even get along/become allies/friends/lovers. Even a truce until getting rid of the tadpoles can work. At least if you are offered the chance to also answer back so it becomes a fight, not that one sided. wink

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I did submit feedback to Larian

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I really like this quote, and I appreciate that they started us with the more problematic companions, as they could have been overlooked for the safer ones

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard