Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
veteran
veteran
The idea of Minsc romance makes me want to superglue my legs together. Agree with most of what has been said here. Leave Minsc as he is and spend resources on other, deeper, characters. A few dialogues about the comic book and the BG 1 & 2 adventures are all we need.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Abits
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by Abits
I think that just drawing minsc from a 20 year old game into a new game written by different people in different context means that he wouldn't be the same, unless the writers are super talented (and honestly I don't think Larian's writers are talented enough).
So if only bringing minsc is a very complicated writing work, creating him as an origin character is even more complicated.

Hmmm... I strongly disagree with that. Minsc is not a complicated character to write. He is about as easy and straightforward as a character can be. He is big and dumb and runs around saying “evil, meet my sword. Sword, meet evil!” and “butt-kicking for goodness!”

There is nothing complicated about that.

True. But you got it backwards, I'm not worried they will ruin him by simplifying him, but by overcomplicating him

Hmmmm... sorry, but no, I didn’t say anything about complicating or simplifying him. You said writing Minsc will be a complicated task, I said that I don’t think it will be because he is so straightforward.

But I don’t think there is a big risk in Larian overcomplicating him. I’m sure they will add a sense of pathos to his character, as Minsc’s naive and binary morality will lend itself well to that, but I’m equally sure that at the end of the day he will be just as silly and transparent as he has always been.

S
stranger
stranger
S
This warlocke guy "I WANT WHAT I WANT, DON'T YOU DARE DENY MEEE"

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Skin Overbone
This warlocke guy "I WANT WHAT I WANT, DON'T YOU DARE DENY MEEE"

😂 citation needed.

How do you get that from this?

“I want to play with Minsc as a main character. You don’t want to? You don’t have to? But hoping that other people can’t do something you don’t want to do is absurd.“

S
stranger
stranger
S
minsc is for kids

"I want to play with Minsc as a main character. You don’t want to? You don’t have to?"

Don't want him to be in the game at all. Ruins the dark atmosphere we got going on. The less stupid jokes, the better

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Skin Overbone
minsc is for kids

"I want to play with Minsc as a main character. You don’t want to? You don’t have to?"

Don't want him to be in the game at all. Ruins the dark atmosphere we got going on. The less stupid jokes, the better

That doesn’t address my question about how you arrived at that erroneous interpretation, but okay. You are entitled to your opinion. I’m glade Larian disagrees.

T
addict
addict
T
Errrg, I hope note on Minsc...he irritates me. It's a good joke in small doses for me, but I don't want to spend the whole game with it.

I'm seriously hoping Afira is a bard party companion. She's lovely.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Azarielle
Oh please let the druid companion be Halsin!

Agree! I hope Halsin will be added as a full companion.

Originally Posted by Icelyn
Originally Posted by Azarielle
Oh please let the druid companion be Halsin!

Agree! I hope Halsin will be added as a full companion.

+1 to Halsin.

"There are three things that are strength incarnate: there is love of life, there is fear of death, and there is family. A family that loves death would have a strong pull indeed." - Tamoko
I know rumor is Karlach will be a companion, but I sincerely hope not. It's another character whose level makes no sense. She's supposedly a bad ass from Hell and she'd be a level 1-3. Riddle me that. Not a fan of the appearance, voice acting or story either.

Originally Posted by Blade238
I know rumor is Karlach will be a companion, but I sincerely hope not. It's another character whose level makes no sense. She's supposedly a bad ass from Hell and she'd be a level 1-3. Riddle me that. Not a fan of the appearance, voice acting or story either.

Not arguing for Karlach here, but it would make sense if she is a bad-ass as long as everyone else is a bad-ass and their level stops meaning much (which is kind of what is happening now, i.e. Astarion is 200 years old, Lae'Zel is an accomplished warrior etc). If we compare to BG1 companions where everyone was low level - only CHARNAME and Imoen were extremely green. Both Jaheira and Khalid were accomplished Harpers and shared adventures with Gorion, Minsc and Dynaheir were relatively seasoned too, Xzar and Montaron were travelled. They were not over the top but they were all fairly experienced, and should have been higher than their starter levels.
Edit: At least if my memory is not failing me heh.

Last edited by Arideya; 21/10/20 12:19 AM.

"There are three things that are strength incarnate: there is love of life, there is fear of death, and there is family. A family that loves death would have a strong pull indeed." - Tamoko
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Originally Posted by Zress
I really hope Karlach is not a companion. I think she has the dialogue I hated the most. And it means we won't have a nice and friendly female companion. Damn... she cursed so much in that dialogue that in the end I just killed her.

Yep she is...there is also Helia the dwarf werewolf?

It's official. Larian is incapable of making a single likeable female character that the average male would actually want in their party...100% fail.

The good news is that there are already mods out that are fixing specific problems relating to poor implementation of the 5e rule system.

The bad news is all the time Larian wasted on a romance system that most will never use.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I agree. There are plenty of cartoony games out there for people who enjoy that style.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Agree totally.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Just bought this last week. For those who still didn't know, Minsc is alive and kicking in 1480DR, thanks to a wild surge!

[img]https://ibb.co/FHb8N61[/img]
[img]https://ibb.co/xM9FZHP[/img]
[img]https://ibb.co/JH7M97J[/img]
[img]https://ibb.co/yFKvScP[/img]

Originally Posted by Gt27mustang
Just bought this last week. For those who still didn't know, Minsc is alive and kicking in 1480DR, thanks to a wild surge!

[img]https://ibb.co/FHb8N61[/img]
[img]https://ibb.co/xM9FZHP[/img]
[img]https://ibb.co/JH7M97J[/img]
[img]https://ibb.co/yFKvScP[/img]

Correction: 1488 DR!

addict
addict
Originally Posted by RPGCODEX
There's three more unused origins in the files, no idea if they'll end up used or not. I think they meant to remove all references to them in the EA build but missed a file.
referred to as
Origin_TheKid
Origin_RedWizard
Origin_Sylvira

Sylvira is a rather important character from descent into avernus btw

These are unrelated to Karlach, Minsc, or Helia(AKA Den leader) btw

oh and there's one referred to as ORIGIN8, but it could be any of the above
There's three more companions in the files; "The Kid" who is rumoured to be the Bhaalspawn's child (although there is no concrete evidence), Sylvira who is probably Sylvira Savikas and a "Red Wizard" who could be any of the named Red Wizards from FR lore. This last person may or may not be a lich, as Ethel has a number of mockery lines referring to his unnatural state and bandages.

Last edited by Vhaldez; 20/11/20 04:07 PM. Reason: NO
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Van'tal
Originally Posted by Zress
I really hope Karlach is not a companion. I think she has the dialogue I hated the most. And it means we won't have a nice and friendly female companion. Damn... she cursed so much in that dialogue that in the end I just killed her.

It's official. Larian is incapable of making a single likeable female character that the average male would actually want in their party...100% fail.

Its not that they are incapable, Lohse and Sebille in DOS II prove that, its just that they seem to not want it. However im with you and would live an companion like Alfira.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Vhaldez
"The Kid" who is rumoured to be the Bhaalspawn's child (although there is concrete evidence)

Please no. Especially if they're the child of *shudder* Abdel Adrian.

veteran
veteran
Are they really going to

drop Minsc on that beach?

He's supposed to be an epic level character.

How's that going to make sense? I hope this doesn't backfire horribly.

Last edited by 1varangian; 20/11/20 02:54 PM.
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard