Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#736643 20/11/20 01:36 AM
Jhelzei Offline OP
OP Offline
What’s the diff? They both seem to do exactly the same thing...

It's either a bug or they are dumbasses because there is no provision to cast Mage Armor at a higher level spell slot in the PHB.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Jhelzei
What’s the diff? They both seem to do exactly the same thing...

Here's something you can't get in the EA:

MAGE ARMOR
1st-level abjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (a piece of cured leather)
Duration: 8 hours
You touch a willing creature who isn't wearing armor,
and a protective magical force surrounds it until the
spell ends. The target's base AC becomes 13 + its
Dexterity modifier. The spell ends if the target dons
armor or if you dismiss the spell as an action.

no change at higher levels.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Osprey39
It's either a bug or they are dumbasses because there is no provision to cast Mage Armor at a higher level spell slot in the PHB.

Unlike some editions, 5e has no such prohibition. From the PHB:

CASTING A SPELL AT A HIGHER LEVEL
When a spellcaster casts a spell using a slot that is of a
higher level than the spell, the spell assumes the higher
level for that casting. For instance, if Umara casts magic
missile using one of her 2nd-level slots, that magic
missile is 2nd level. Effectively, the spell expands to fill
the slot it is put into.
Some spells, such as magic missile and cure wounds,
have more powerful effects when cast at a higher level,
as detailed in a spell's description.

Last edited by Sozz; 20/11/20 01:58 AM.
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
So in general for spells that have no benefit from casting using higher level spell slot UI should not any allow choice (autopick level 1 slot for Mage Armor) and probably warn you if you don't have a slot of the lowest possible level.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Originally Posted by Sozz
Originally Posted by Osprey39

Unlike some editions, 5e has no such prohibition. From the PHB:

CASTING A SPELL AT A HIGHER LEVEL
When a spellcaster casts a spell using a slot that is of a
higher level than the spell, the spell assumes the higher
level for that casting. For instance, if Umara casts magic
missile using one of her 2nd-level slots, that magic
missile is 2nd level. Effectively, the spell expands to fill
the slot it is put into.
Some spells, such as magic missile and cure wounds,
have more powerful effects when cast at a higher level,
as detailed in a spell's description.

Yep, they will hopefully implement a more user friendly system for it.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mg666
So in general for spells that have no benefit from casting using higher level spell slot UI should not any allow choice (autopick level 1 slot for Mage Armor) and probably warn you if you don't have a slot of the lowest possible level.

considering what a mess the UI is right now any change in this regard would be welcome, and expected. Having a separate button for each spell level in madness.

But that's something for 'Feedback' I think

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Yeah they are going to need a little pop up or something when you decide what slot level you want to use to cast a spell... having every available slot level of a particular spell take up a spot on the bar is nuts and is barely enough at 4th level for casters...

Last edited by Llev; 20/11/20 02:36 AM.
Jhelzei Offline OP
OP Offline
I did discover one interesting difference. The 1st level spell just puts a glowing aura around you, whereas the 2nd level version puts a spiffy bubble around you. Not sure if this is purely visual, or if there is a functional difference.

veteran
veteran
Mage Armor could let you target one more creature with each up tick. It's useful for Rogues too.

However, the visual effect is very obtrusive for something that's always on. Add Arcane Ward on top and your Wizard is a glowing, sparkling, pulsating bubble 24/7 starting from level 1.

I'd like much more subtle effects for these 24/7 protections that are only visible in combat.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Mage Armor could let you target one more creature with each up tick. It's useful for Rogues too.

However, the visual effect is very obtrusive for something that's always on. Add Arcane Ward on top and your Wizard is a glowing, sparkling, pulsating bubble 24/7 starting from level 1.

I'd like much more subtle effects for these 24/7 protections that are only visible in combat.

Agreed. I hate flashy spell effects which persist on a character forever.

I miss the days when Mage Armor was +4 to AC, but I am sure there is a reason they lowered it by 1 point. It doesn't bother me to see the glow, but I wouldn't mind it not showing up until combat. Pretty sure it isn't showing up in cinematic scenes, but I am usually playing armor wearers.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies

I second this. Besides, sometimes it's bugged and your character appears as a naked ghost.

Jhelzei Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Nyanko

I second this. Besides, sometimes it's bugged and your character appears as a naked ghost.

I've got to dissent here. I like having a visual indicator (aside from the microscopic icon at the bottom of the screen) that a character has their defenses up. It's handy for knowing that your mage still has an AC higher than null after a dispel, or if you just happened to forget to cast Mage Armor (or other defenses) after leaving camp.

veteran
veteran
I meant to say it's only important to see VFX for Mage Armor and Arcane Ward in combat and even there I'd prefer a much more subtle approach or no VFX at all for those two.

You need to leave room for VFX so that more powerful short term protections and effects like Blur or Globe of Invulnerability can look cool and be easily recognized. And that multiple active spells don't turn the character into an ugly mess.

addict
addict

pours one out for the cloak of mirroring

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ghost King
I miss the days when Mage Armor was +4 to AC, but I am sure there is a reason they lowered it by 1 point. It doesn't bother me to see the glow, but I wouldn't mind it not showing up until combat. Pretty sure it isn't showing up in cinematic scenes, but I am usually playing armor wearers.

That would actually be a good guideline for designing long lasting VFX.

If it's so distracting that it needs to be completely switched off during dialogue, it's too much.

The effects are just as annoying while exploring or simply looking at your characters, or trying to get screenshots.

They lowered the AC by one point because they also lowered mundane armors by roughly 1 across the board.

N
old hand
old hand
N

I've got to dissent here. I like having a visual indicator (aside from the microscopic icon at the bottom of the screen) that a character has their defenses up. It's handy for knowing that your mage still has an AC higher than null after a dispel, or if you just happened to forget to cast Mage Armor (or other defenses) after leaving camp.

Come on, if you add armor of agathys on top of mage armor, you literally look like a christmas tree.

veteran
veteran

Do you really need it that much?

The active spell icons could be much more prominent for sure. Everything in the UI is microscopic currently and it's annoying.

But let's say they disable the effects while exploring and turn them back on when combat starts. You can still cast Mage Armor in combat if you notice it's not there. You lose one attack because you forgot, seems fine to me.

Thing is.. this is levels 1-4 and already the Wizard looks like a pulsating christmas tree from just one or two buffs. If all the effects have such prominent visuals, you will soon end up with a horrible mess where it's actually impossible to tell which spells exactly are active. Information gets lost in the noise.

Why not just have icons adjacent to the character portraits that show what temporary buffs are active. Hovering over the icon could tell you its benefit and sources.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard