Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 25 1 2 3 4 24 25
An overly chatty Magpie and a magical Sloth that live in the branches of a Treant.

old hand
old hand
Some sort of "outlaw" type who isn't bothered by questionable means to get to a good end.
A Lolth Sworn Drow, this one could maybe have an optional "redeemable" arc for those who like that stuff.
A shadow mastiff or hellhounds. (ok this one is a stretch I know. smile )

Originally Posted by Tzelanit

I'm really worried about the good alignment characters because the "dutiful do-right veteran with the voice of reason" and "bubbly and perky optimistic comic relief" are pretty much guaranteed, and I can't stand those tropes.
As long as the rest of the characters maintain appreciation for the severity of the situation that they're in and act like functional adults instead of either taking themselves too seriously or not-at-all seriously, I'll be fine with it.

Agreed. I welcome realistic good companions but preaching about righteousness and morals or acting like an idiot because it is "funny" makes me want to stab someone and usually they are considered essential.

Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
I just don't want any silly comic relief companions. Especially no gnomes.

Agreed on the first part but curious, why no gnomes?

old hand
old hand
Best companions were in Planescape: Torment.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I want to see someone who is completely fine and happy, besides the current events. Someone who has a good life and no trauma.

veteran
veteran
We need a dwarf. Why can't we have a dwarf?

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Kadajko
I want to see someone who is completely fine and happy, besides the current events. Someone who has a good life and no trauma.

This reminded me of

N
old hand
old hand
N
I would like a shy companion, someone who doesn't constantly complains or argues about everything, mysterious and secretive to the point I want to ask him/her questions, someone who seem fragile and needs protection.

Last edited by Nyanko; 20/11/20 11:36 AM.
stranger
stranger
We need silly companions who make us laugh.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
...i like all manor of companions available but like to have the classics available. Triss merrigold type sorceror... goldmoon type cleric... rastalin... but would even support an evil pre-golem type hafling...

Biggest thing for me is how they interact with us in the end...

veteran
veteran
I challenge Larian to write a companion who is interesting solely because of their personality rather than taking the short cut of making everyone a vampire, alien, half-devil or werewolf.

I'm a bit fed up with the extra specialness. It feels like it's the norm in BG3. When everyone is fantastical and special, no one is. And this is all external anyway, personality and deeds are what actually matter.

When BG2 has a vampire companion, it's a quest and a little story in itself. The vampire isn't obvious, doesn't just fall down on a beach next to you and casually tag along as a convenient daywalker. Astarion's big reveal scene has no emotional impact or intrigue whatsoever. A vampire story should.

journeyman
journeyman
An older companion with an unresolved conflict/task (like Keldorn from BG2 or Wynne from DA:O) and dwarf bro that has your back no matter what (like Khelgar from NWN2) would be nice.

I require no originality. It's overrated and all too often poorly done. Well-executed tropes make for a much more enjoyable experience.

Dez Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Sozz
I guess I'm in this camp, the most difficult thing for an RPG to do is make compelling and three dimensional "Evil" characters, because our EA companions seem to be: (I'm guessing) Lawful Evil, Chaotic Evil, Neutral Evil, Chaotic Neutral, and Chaotic Good (but for that demon) I'm pretty much satisfied. My main worry now is that the "Good" characters aren't paper thin do-gooders, not that I don't love Minsc, but he's hardly been the an engine of compelling story-telling.

No one asked but Knights of the Old Republic II has my favorite crew of companions, they all had baggage which contributed to the story's and your own conflict within the Star Wars moral binary, making such a black and white universe like Star Wars into a compelling treatise on philosophy and morality was a great accomplishment to me, and I'm worried that between the Absolute Mind-Flayers and the Blood War in Avernus plots we aren't going to be getting a story with as much nuance, but I'm reserving my judgement there.

Sounds legit enough laugh I approve!

Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
Originally Posted by Dez
He pretty much insisted that my character can't even breathe properly so we didn't get along (even though I really wanted to frown ).

Breathing?!

Sten disapproves.
Morrigan disapproves.
Zevran is bored.
Alistair wants cheese.

As someone who plays goody two shoes 99.9% of the time, I don't mind having to work at winning over the, uh, more morally flexible companions in my group, but if there's no way at all to do that, they just end up getting left behind.

Yeah... It pretty much went like that. :x Fortunately, my dog always approved of my decisions. <3

Originally Posted by Ari
Sort of like the atmosphere of uncertainty the current companions create in the early game. I would like a Jan Jansen or Minsc type character, but would prefer it if they were un-tadpoled and to be recruited a bit down the line, when party issues start stabilizing and we have already learned some of the current cast’s quirks.

Would like a few more good ones as well. Maybe a good rogue-like character in case we do not want to use Asterion.

I also kinda wish we got a tiefling from the refugee camp. Maybe a character with a slightly less fantastical backstory (but still plenty of secrets to keep) compared to our current group?

I am pretty sure we'll at least be able to get a thiefling c: I heard rumors about the bard-one - though I cannot confirm nor deny.

Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
Someone with the persona of hundred eyes (monk) from Marco Polo.

Now THIS I like. 100% approve!

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
Dez Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by vyvexthorne
An overly chatty Magpie and a magical Sloth that live in the branches of a Treant.

I mean... Why not :'D

Originally Posted by Zarna
Some sort of "outlaw" type who isn't bothered by questionable means to get to a good end.
A Lolth Sworn Drow, this one could maybe have an optional "redeemable" arc for those who like that stuff.
A shadow mastiff or hellhounds. (ok this one is a stretch I know. smile )

YES. laugh!

That would certainly be unusual. I approve! o7

Originally Posted by Abits
We need a dwarf. Why can't we have a dwarf?

+1. Definitely.

Originally Posted by Nyanko
I would like a shy companion, someone who doesn't constantly complains or argues about everything, mysterious and secretive to the point I want to ask him/her questions, someone who seem fragile and needs protection.

Why not! Would make a fine addition to all these not-quite-shy characters that we have right now. :'D I am interested!

Originally Posted by Terremer
We need silly companions who make us laugh.

I agree. I like comic relief, as long as they're not mandatory. c:

Originally Posted by Llev
...i like all manor of companions available but like to have the classics available. Triss merrigold type sorceror... goldmoon type cleric... rastalin... but would even support an evil pre-golem type hafling...

Biggest thing for me is how they interact with us in the end...

That's a good perspective. c: A Triss Merigold would certainly be appreciated! Especially if she is as cute as she is in the Witcher game series. ^_^

Originally Posted by 1varangian
I challenge Larian to write a companion who is interesting solely because of their personality rather than taking the short cut of making everyone a vampire, alien, half-devil or werewolf.

I'm a bit fed up with the extra specialness. It feels like it's the norm in BG3. When everyone is fantastical and special, no one is. And this is all external anyway, personality and deeds are what actually matter.

When BG2 has a vampire companion, it's a quest and a little story in itself. The vampire isn't obvious, doesn't just fall down on a beach next to you and casually tag along as a convenient daywalker. Astarion's big reveal scene has no emotional impact or intrigue whatsoever. A vampire story should.

Certainly a legit point, I also felt like this more often than not - but not just in BG3.

Originally Posted by Leuenherz
An older companion with an unresolved conflict/task (like Keldorn from BG2 or Wynne from DA:O) and dwarf bro that has your back no matter what (like Khelgar from NWN2) would be nice.

I require no originality. It's overrated and all too often poorly done. Well-executed tropes make for a much more enjoyable experience.

100% approve - on all points. laugh

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
addict
addict

Yes. I mean, some challenges and ambitions in life, sure, but I'm not a fan of tragic backstories and emotional drama.

Other than that... I think a gnoll companion would be cool. An intellectual type.

I'd love some evil characters that are either magnificent bastards or "fun" evil (...and not Astarion). Maybe crazy evil (like Xzar).

A vicious halfling in the vein of Montaron.

While I'm bringing BG1 companions as examples: a Branwen-like war cleric would be awesome. I initially thought I'd dislike Branwen (mostly the portrait, I guess), but I grew to really like her and kept her for the rest of my playthrough.

A classic dwarf. I usually prefer "weird" characters, but I like classic, stereotypical dwarf companions. On the topic of dwarves, a Varric-like companion would be great.

And of course a spiritual successor to Jan. That's a must.

old hand
old hand
Lump the Enlightened. This is the companion we deserve, AND the companion we need.

stranger
stranger
I actually like our current companions but I would LOVE an option for a custom party of my own characters. That would be a lot of fun from a pure gameplay perspective, even if the character interactions were limited.

I doubt Larian will add anything like that but I'm hoping that modders eventually will.

Baldur's Gate 3 Character Renders (SPOILERS)
esomodelviewer.com/baldurs-gate-3
veteran
veteran
I only want good-oriented and honorable companions, and I need at least five of them because I will only be playing the game with a mod that increases party size to six. Someone already mentioned Eder. Yes I love Eder. In both PoE games Eder is my always-in-the-party companion. In PoE1 I also similarly loved Sagani and she was always in my party too.

I don't care at all about my companions being "nuanced" or "flawed" because that's what's "realistic." If I wanted any of that, I can get that from real life. I play my cRPGs to get away from real life.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by kanisatha
I only want good-oriented and honorable companions, and I need at least five of them because I will only be playing the game with a mod that increases party size to six. Someone already mentioned Eder. Yes I love Eder. In both PoE games Eder is my always-in-the-party companion. In PoE1 I also similarly loved Sagani and she was always in my party too.

I don't care at all about my companions being "nuanced" or "flawed" because that's what's "realistic." If I wanted any of that, I can get that from real life. I play my cRPGs to get away from real life.

I love Eder so much, he was a GREAT companion. But Sagani seemed dull as dirt, to me.

addict
addict
Is the Thieve's Cant still a thing in 5E?

I would love a companion who speaks the Cant, somewhat like Narlen Darkwalk in BG I, but with even more of the 16th century English dialect like the pirates from "Treasure Island". Sort of a D&D version of Boomhauer (ref. King of the Hill).

enthusiast
enthusiast
And if could I swap Astarion for Regis, someone older, intellectual type not psycho hedonist

Last edited by Verte; 20/11/20 02:38 PM.
Page 2 of 25 1 2 3 4 24 25

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard