03/11/20 06:48 PM
03/11/20 06:48 PM
Massachusetts, USA
kanisatha Online content
old hand
kanisatha  Online Content
old hand

Massachusetts, USA
I agree that it is too early to say where the modding scene will go for this game. However, for me, mods adding in new clothing or even new classes or races and the like are just superficial fluff. I would need mods that change fundamental characteristics of the game.

Re: Modding BG3 [Re: kanisatha] #727079
03/11/20 07:29 PM
03/11/20 07:29 PM
Abits Online content
old hand
Abits  Online Content
old hand

Originally Posted by kanisatha
I agree that it is too early to say where the modding scene will go for this game. However, for me, mods adding in new clothing or even new classes or races and the like are just superficial fluff. I would need mods that change fundamental characteristics of the game.

Like quests and story bits?

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Re: Modding BG3 [Re: Abits] #727187
03/11/20 10:30 PM
03/11/20 10:30 PM
Massachusetts, USA
kanisatha Online content
old hand
old hand

Massachusetts, USA
Originally Posted by Abits

Yes some of that, especially if the "good" side of things ends up weak/lame. But also gameplay and mechanics. Of course my #1 mod would be a RTwP mod, but that I don't hold out much hope for. So beyond that I would want mods for:
Up to six person party
Gathering and moving the party the way most other games do it
Get rid of most environmental elemental effects
No party lock at end of Act 1
A true pause function during exploration (in single-player)
Reduce DC of dialogue skill/ability checks
Get rid of HP bloat of enemies

Oh, and if what I hear is true that Lathander is not among the good gods available in the game for clerics and paladins, I would LOVE a mod adding in Lathander. Paladin of Lathander is my all-time favorite character to play in D&D.

May be some others I can't think of right now.

Re: Modding BG3 [Re: kanisatha] #727540
04/11/20 12:00 PM
04/11/20 12:00 PM
Abits Online content
old hand
Abits  Online Content
old hand

Yes some of that, especially if the "good" side of things ends up weak/lame. But also gameplay and mechanics. Of course my #1 mod would be a RTwP mod, but that I don't hold out much hope for. So beyond that I would want mods for:
Up to six person party

Oh, and if what I hear is true that Lathander is not among the good gods available in the game for clerics and paladins, I would LOVE a mod adding in Lathander. Paladin of Lathander is my all-time favorite character to play in D&D.

You're in luck sir, some of these are already available, so even if it's kinda hard to implement them now, you can bet your ass they'll be available in full release

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Re: Modding BG3 [Re: Abits] #727578
04/11/20 01:25 PM
04/11/20 01:25 PM
Massachusetts, USA
kanisatha Online content
old hand
old hand

Massachusetts, USA

Up to six person party

You're in luck sir, some of these are already available, so even if it's kinda hard to implement them now, you can bet your ass they'll be available in full release

I sure hope so. These would be somewhat the minimum I would need (either as changes made to the game or as mods) to be able to have an enjoyable experience playing the game. That's why I am not a fan of the game right now, but have not walked away from the game either because I remain cautiously hopeful these things will materialize somehow.

Re: Modding BG3 [Re: kanisatha] #730641
08/11/20 11:58 PM
08/11/20 11:58 PM
Eton, Berkshire, EU
etonbears Offline
enthusiast
etonbears  Offline
enthusiast

Eton, Berkshire, EU

Up to six person party

Looking at what has been possible for DOS2, I have to say that I'd guess no-one will do a rtwp makeover. Various claims have been made that DOS2 has a rtwp mod, but I have not found one on either the Steam workshop or Nexus.

The closest I have found is realtime combat in DOS2 Arena Mode. When asked about realtime for the campaign, the modder stated that it would require so much work that it was unlikely to happen. Clearly, some games do attract modders capable and willing to sink extreme amounts of time into makeovers, but there isn't so much evidence of this with Larian.

Mods types I would expect, based on DOS2 examples are :
- User Interface/Control mods ( including party size and maybe organization/movement )
- Data manipulation mods ( that change stats and chances of things happening like HP, DCs, damage )
- Additional classes and character capabilities
- Cosmetic changes

Some of what you want may appear, some not. There seem to be a lot of mods that make DOS2 easier or harder in some way or other; you might find some combination of BG3 mods that allows you to enjoy the game mechanics.

As for good/evil gaming and the existing companions in EA, this is not as clear-cut as in years past. You can certainly BE evil in the game by acting as a complete jerk, and randomly stealing/killing, as you can in many games, but in EA, the good/evil positioning is not always so obvious.

There are a number of "situations", both large and small, where you can choose to support one faction or another. If you like playing traditional paladins, you will probably find it easy to choose; not so much if you are a more neutral sort of player.

The evil companions are also not so obviously evil. Each of the companions takes a position, from heroic through to brutally pragmatic, and they have their own relationships within the world, but their reactions to your choices are not quite the simplistic good/evil you might expect, and I have not found it particularly difficult to have whichever combination I want in the party.

Overall, the EA game-space is interestingly designed, and the story elements are a reasonably complex weave that looks like it will produce an interesting game, provided you can overlook the weakness of some of the 5e rules and combat ( personal opinion, I can't judge if you would share it ).

Re: Modding BG3 [Re: Merry Mayhem] #731251
09/11/20 08:29 PM
09/11/20 08:29 PM
H
hrsr Offline
stranger
hrsr  Offline
stranger
H

Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem
So the modders are already working on BG3.

DnD Rebalancing

I am a bit torn, if you start playing with mods, would that effect the data Larian is seeing?

Mods will effect play so can color feedback so do you need to post what mods you are using when you give feedback?

Also I do not want Larian to become another Bethesda where the attitude is just let Modders fix our games. I want Larian to use the 5e rules and would rather let modders break those.

wierd if i acces the link from these forums, its allright but if accesed ( the mod ) from within nexusmods.com my browser loads @ infinity...strange, i bookmarked the page @ nexus through the link here aparently for me its innacesable from nexusmods...at any rate.

Re: Modding BG3 [Re: vometia] #731259
09/11/20 08:39 PM
09/11/20 08:39 PM
C
Commodore_Tyrs Offline
stranger
Commodore_Tyrs  Offline
stranger
C

One great thing to mod in would be Guild administration features for established guilds that would like to play. There are not many guilds yet that have decided to add this game to their roster, but when they do come they will do so with many loyal members and they tend to play together for very long periods of time so its a great way for the game to grow it's player base with dependable adventurers (customers in Larian-speak).

Last edited by Commodore_Tyrs; 09/11/20 08:39 PM.
Re: Modding BG3 [Re: etonbears] #731327
09/11/20 10:23 PM
09/11/20 10:23 PM
Massachusetts, USA
kanisatha Online content
old hand
old hand

Massachusetts, USA
Originally Posted by etonbears
Overall, the EA game-space is interestingly designed, and the story elements are a reasonably complex weave that looks like it will produce an interesting game, provided you can overlook the weakness of some of the 5e rules and combat ( personal opinion, I can't judge if you would share it ).

Yes, the availability of mods is what I am now heavily counting on to make the game palatable for me.

The one area of the game that I am very okay with is BG3's deviations from D&D rules. I am 110% with Vincke when he says sometimes you need to deviate from the PnP rules to make the game be interesting and fun to play as a video game. Personally I'd be happy if they deviate from most D&D rules and mechanics, because I don't care for D&D that much anymore. My interest in BG3 is primarily as a Forgotten Realms game and not as a D&D game.

Re: Modding BG3 [Re: vometia] #734538
15/11/20 07:39 AM
15/11/20 07:39 AM
Jhelzei Offline
apprentice
Jhelzei  Offline
apprentice

So, um, how does one go about actually installing a mod? I've got a .pak file, where do I put it?

Re: Modding BG3 [Re: Jhelzei] #734595
15/11/20 11:29 AM
15/11/20 11:29 AM
Abits Online content
old hand
Abits  Online Content
old hand

Originally Posted by Jhelzei
So, um, how does one go about actually installing a mod? I've got a .pak file, where do I put it?

Depends on the mod. Some of them go into the game's data folder, other go to mods folder in your Documents folder. Some require you to edit some files for the mod to work. Where did you get that mod?

Re: Modding BG3 [Re: vometia] #734598
15/11/20 11:30 AM
15/11/20 11:30 AM
Denmark
Bukke Offline
enthusiast
Bukke  Offline
enthusiast

Denmark
Many mods from the regular modding sites usually come with installation instructions. Have you tried checking those?

Re: Modding BG3 [Re: Bukke] #734610
15/11/20 11:49 AM
15/11/20 11:49 AM
Abits Online content
old hand
Abits  Online Content
old hand

Originally Posted by Bukke
Many mods from the regular modding sites usually come with installation instructions. Have you tried checking those?

This. Because mods are not officially supported at this point, it is very important to read the mod's readme file because it is not very straightforward process at the moment

Re: Modding BG3 [Re: vometia] #736545
19/11/20 08:44 PM
19/11/20 08:44 PM
E
Ellenhard Offline
Ellenhard  Offline
E

For everyone who was waiting for a paladin class to appear, there is a mod at last on Nexus: https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/122?tab=description

Datamining has shown an unsatisfactory level of writing for specific paladin dialog as it is now (not much thought given, generic, too shallow for me), but still, I would be happy to try this one after most of the current bugs would be fixed.

Re: Modding BG3 [Re: Abits] #736887
20/11/20 04:22 PM
20/11/20 04:22 PM
The Frog & Hounds
vometia Offline OP

Duchess of Gorgombert
vometia  Offline OP

Duchess of Gorgombert

The Frog & Hounds
Originally Posted by Bukke

This. Because mods are not officially supported at this point, it is very important to read the mod's readme file because it is not very straightforward process at the moment

I should add this to my to-do list. Modding will be supported and the forums exist (which I know for certain as I created them, in case anyone needs confirmation) but are just waiting to be green-lighted. Which isn't my decision and is on hold as long as the EA feedback is prioritised. But just throwing that out there so it's known to be a thing.

But in the meantime I should probably collate some information about the how, why, why not and so on. People want to know how to install stuff and should know the consequences of doing so.

J'aime le fromage.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4