Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sozz #737083 20/11/20 11:20 PM
E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by Sozz
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Originally Posted by Ellenhard

Don't ask Google. I'm Russian and I know the history, mindset and traditions of my country well enough. Let's stop at that, please. Any Russian still living in the country can support my claim.

As well as the fact that a lot of Russian gamers I personally know do count Rashemi as a somewhat-related people.

And we aren't talking about most people in Russia, just those who are interested already/could be interested. By no means I'm saying I know it all, but I would not have said anything about that inconsistency if I wasn't sure.

WotC and Hasbro can do whatever they want. As did V5 VtM. Look how it's turned about after mentioning Checnhya: https://www.polygon.com/2018/11/16/18098929/white-wolf-controversy-paradox-interactive-new-ceo

It would be not a nice thing to offend people and their culture, when you can easily be more diplomatic toward the whole case and people's beliefs and feelings.

Hold up, are we honestly talking about reducing romance options for gay players in an effort to avoid offending homophobes?

Yeah, they can go ahead and be offended while they wait in line to fall off the sharp edge of history into the relic bin.

I'm all for tweaking the noses of the censor and bigot, but I also don't like the way RPGs seem to treat all character's as sexually fluid.

If my character's romance as a woman is a copy and paste of their romance as a man I consider that a failure of writing, because it doesn't reflect very common world experience, even for a high-fantasy medieval one.
By that token if every companion is just a vessel for my MC's attention, it detracts from their characterization.

That said I'm afraid of talking about it here because the OP seems to be coming from a place involving the ongoing kulturkampf in Russia right now, about which I don't think any of my commentary would be welcome.

The part about romance being different for male/female characters is spot on. Thank you.

Ellenhard #737097 20/11/20 11:43 PM
addict
addict
volcel mod day 1 install

Ellenhard #737169 21/11/20 01:35 AM
old hand
old hand
I adore Minsc and hope Larian doesn't change him a bit, but I am never, ever choosing him as a romance option. That would feel so wrong.

Tarlonniel #737211 21/11/20 02:09 AM
A
Ari Offline
journeyman
journeyman
A
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
I adore Minsc and hope Larian doesn't change him a bit, but I am never, ever choosing him as a romance option. That would feel so wrong.

Indeed, Boo would grow jealous.

Ari #737217 21/11/20 02:13 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Ari
Indeed, Boo would grow jealous.

Did you see what happened to the last guy Boo got jealous of? I think they only found his big toe...

Ellenhard #737312 21/11/20 08:50 AM
Well, it seems to me that it is strange to add the possibility of romance with Minsc.
From the outside it may look like a poor shell-shocked big guy.
And to be honest, I think adding Minsc as a companion or origin character is not very good. So, in the fifth edition, his official statistics give him level 6, in the second part he could reach level 40. Larian will have to work hard to explain his weakening.

Hello there.
BuckettMonkey #737408 21/11/20 02:38 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by BuckettMonkey
Well, it seems to me that it is strange to add the possibility of romance with Minsc.
And to be honest, I think adding Minsc as a companion or origin character is not very good. So, in the fifth edition, his official statistics give him level 6, in the second part he could reach level 40. Larian will have to work hard to explain his weakening.

There's some evidence in dialogue that people who have been implanted with a tadpole are weaker than before. I don't think Minsc will be an origin character, but I haven't spoiled myself in those threads to be sure.

Sozz #737433 21/11/20 03:57 PM
W
veteran
veteran
W

There's some evidence in dialogue that people who have been implanted with a tadpole are weaker than before. I don't think Minsc will be an origin character, but I haven't spoiled myself in those threads to be sure.

Separate from the data mine thread, Larian has already said in a previous AMA that all companions would be origin characters. That could change, but you should expect Minsc to be an origin character.

People keep saying that Larian are going to work hard to write around Minsc’s massive drop in level. They don’t and probably won’t. It will probably never be explained and we will just need to internally come to terms with it and move on.

Warlocke #737435 21/11/20 04:17 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Warlocke

Separate from the data mine thread, Larian has already said in a previous AMA that all companions would be origin characters. That could change, but you should expect Minsc to be an origin character.

People keep saying that Larian are going to work hard to write around Minsc’s massive drop in level. They don’t and probably won’t. It will probably never be explained and we will just need to internally come to terms with it and move on.

I find this mind boggling, it's going to be like playing a INT 2 character in Fallout, except instead of grunting it'll be long tangents on Boo....oh, we're going to be playing as Boo

Sozz #737438 21/11/20 04:19 PM
Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
I find this mind boggling, it's going to be like playing a INT 2 character in Fallout, except instead of grunting it'll be long tangents on Boo....oh, we're going to be playing as Boo

Playing as Boo is probably going to appeal to a lot of people....

Ellenhard #737443 21/11/20 04:29 PM
old hand
old hand
I wonder what Boo's stats are? And class? Or did Boo take 20 levels in miniature giant space hamster?

Ellenhard #737444 21/11/20 04:31 PM
W
veteran
veteran
W
I’m actually looking forward to playing Minsc. My first playthrough will be a Minsc run. I’m still going to make a custom character too. I’ll start with both (you can do this) and Minsc will be the main hero who does most of the dialogue while my custom character will be a rogue and the descendant of my Bhaalspawn who is constantly, quietly exasperated by “Uncle Minsc.” It’s going to be fun.

Also, some of Minsc’s unique dialogue options have already been data mined and they look to be pretty great.

Last edited by Warlocke; 21/11/20 04:35 PM.
Tarlonniel #737445 21/11/20 04:35 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Playing as Boo is probably going to appeal to a lot of people....

I wonder what Boo's stats are? And class? Or did Boo take 20 levels in miniature giant space hamster?

If he isn't like a B-movie mad scientist with dramatic brass music playing in the background of his monologues I won't be satisfied.

Ellenhard #737448 21/11/20 04:39 PM
old hand
old hand
I think we've all been ignoring the truly important question.

Will Jim Cummings reprise his role as the voice of Minsc?

Tarlonniel #737450 21/11/20 04:47 PM
veteran
veteran
I think we've all been ignoring the truly important question.

Will Jim Cummings reprise his role as the voice of Minsc?

no point in doing it without him, really. And unlike Jaheira who fell off the face of the Earth Jim is still working pretty regularly in V-O, he's also the reason I can't take Star Wars Rebels seriously...one of the reasons...

Ellenhard #737453 21/11/20 04:54 PM
W
veteran
veteran
W
Jim did Siege of Dragonspear a few years ago, so no reason to expect him not to do BG3.

Ellenhard #737603 21/11/20 10:13 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Of all the romance options I really don't see, no, I don't want to see how it works out with Minsc. Unless we're talking about the next level of friendship commonly referred to as bromance.

I always saw Minsc as a big brother figure, not a romantic interest. And it will remain that way... anyway, Minsc's true love is Boo. Let it end there.

Anyhow, he will most likely be a must have in my goody-two-shoe parties, if Larian does him justice of course and write him properly and true to character.

Nicottia #737668 22/11/20 12:16 AM
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Nicottia
Of all the romance options I really don't see, no, I don't want to see how it works out with Minsc. Unless we're talking about the next level of friendship commonly referred to as bromance.

I always saw Minsc as a big brother figure, not a romantic interest. And it will remain that way... anyway, Minsc's true love is Boo. Let it end there.

Anyhow, he will most likely be a must have in my goody-two-shoe parties, if Larian does him justice of course and write him properly and true to character.

I saw him the same way. He was my Bhaalspawn’s quintessential bro. Steadfast, dependable, and a hell of a good time, with an idiot savant aptitude to always say the right thing. I hope Larian does him correctly, but I don’t have any doubts that they will. He isn’t a complex character to write, and I think they have done a terrific job with the rest of the party thus far. I can’t wait to play him as the hero of his own story (while still having a similar general dynamic by making my Bhaalspawn’s descendant his sidekick).

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard