Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
In the underdark, near the selune temple ( but I could only walk there from the beach) are petrified drow.
When you get close to a pile of gold a beholder suddenly appears and attacks you.
The beholder attacks both you and the drow and the drow attack also the beholder and you.
Many times I send one char there and he got perma stunned and killed before he could act.
Sending an animal companion to this place alone will not make the beholder show up.

Here is how I did it ( after many tries and save scumming )
- Astarion ( with equipment that boosts stealth ) sneaked to this place, the beholder showed up and Astarion succeeded the stealth roll, so he remained hidden.
The beholder floats around and nothing happens with the petrified drow.
- All chars move to a place that is near that area but so far away that they do not join combat when it starts.
- My ranger sends her spider to this place. Now combat starts, only the spider is in combat.
- The beholder un petrifies the drow and attacks them. The beholder almost completely ignores my spider.
- The drow attack the beholder, my spider and each other, some of them are under the influence of the beholder, but the beholder attacks all drow.
- After some time came my big chance: Only the beholder, 2 drow and my spider were still alive and all drow and beholder were looking away from the path to the area. The beholder has lost half of his life because of drow attacks and my spider.
- Astarion sneaked behind the beholder and made a backstab, then another char sneaked there and finished the beholder with the attack. Killing the 2 remaining drow is easy.

Is there an easier way to do it?
This method took many tries and some luck.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
old hand
old hand
I mean...

I just threw out the Iron Flask so I could fight two beholders at the same time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wasn't that hard, really? And the first Spectator actually did take me by surprise, too. There was no pre-planning.

old hand
old hand
You can try to free him in the location with the minotaurs, and see what happens. Most likely, they will kill each other. Profit!

This should be used as a weapon, not as a way to kill him yourself.

If released in the Goblin Camp, it will greatly facilitate the tieflings quest.

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I did not have the bottle you talk about.
I was just exploring the area when suddenly a beholder showed up and killed my party.
After many tries I killed it, as written above.
I had no quest to go there and there was no loot except some gold and basic equipment of the drow.

Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
I
old hand
old hand
I
That you can even fight a beholder and not get instantly disintegrated shows how screwed up BG3s combat system is.

veteran
veteran
It's a Spectator, not a Beholder. Spectators are CR 3. A level 4 party should be able to wipe the floor with one, especially since BG3's spectator does not have the Spell Reflecton ability. The difficulty with this fight is all the drow it unpetrifies.

The strategy for this fight is to deal some damage to the drow so that they help attack the spectator...or make use of of the powerful level 4 abilities/items that you should have. A successful fighter's Menacing Attack basically wins the fight.

W
veteran
veteran
W
I sent my rogue in with the invisibility hood. Rest of the party was hiding off in the side corridor. Spectator spawned and I ranged him with the rest of the party. The Spectator jumped over us deeper into the corridor and we beat him to death, then took out the drow. Killed him on my second try.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ixal
That you can even fight a beholder and not get instantly disintegrated shows how screwed up BG3s combat system is.

Not a Beholder but thanks for playing.

old hand
old hand
Also, use...

the spear that does 2d6 extra damage to beholders. You can reforge it out of two halves, one you get from the owlbear, the other from True Soul Edowin's body.

stranger
stranger
You can spawn him with one character under invisibility, the spell won't break. At least it didn't for me, might be a bug?

When spawned, the spectator just started unpetrifying and killing the drow and my character was waiting for their battle to end under invisibility. I thought the spectator would win for sure but somehow the drow managed to beat him with only one of them left standing with low hp. He must have felt really proud and lucky... until I eldritch blasted him to his death from behind grin

By the way, was anyone able to talk to the drow using Speak with Dead spell? I couldn't do it even though I didn't kill them myself (well, except for that one last dude).

Baldur's Gate 3 Character Renders (SPOILERS)
esomodelviewer.com/baldurs-gate-3
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
I mean...

I just threw out the Iron Flask so I could fight two beholders at the same time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wasn't that hard, really? And the first Spectator actually did take me by surprise, too. There was no pre-planning.

It reminds me we need higher difficulties. Because when players themselves need to go to such extreme to make the game challenging, there is a problem lol

old hand
old hand
Yeah higher difficulties would be nice.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Very Easy Method.

Get everyone in sneak.

Cast invisibility/use a scroll on the rogue.

Activate the Beholder by walking to his place. Go behind him and stab him a few times with your rogue.

Sneak attack with the rest of your party with their most damaging moves.

GG Beholder.

i smashed a few of the stone drow for xp, beholder popped up, used my sorcerer to cast darkness, 2hGWM dwarf barbarian to facetank him in the darkness, life cleric to heal, warlock and sorcerer to fight drow.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by T2aV
i smashed a few of the stone drow for xp, beholder popped up, used my sorcerer to cast darkness, 2hGWM dwarf barbarian to facetank him in the darkness, life cleric to heal, warlock and sorcerer to fight drow.

How did you get a barbarian and a sorcerer?
At the moment we have only fighter, rogue, ranger, cleric, warlock and mage.

Originally Posted by Madscientist
Originally Posted by T2aV

How did you get a barbarian and a sorcerer?
At the moment we have only fighter, rogue, ranger, cleric, warlock and mage.

mods, they work pretty well, close to true dnd 5e. also, alot of unique dialogue already in the game. for example: the harpies. as a barbarian you can get a performance check, and do a yell to break the harpies song over the child. cutscene happens, with the harpies saying that the child is theirs.

Sorcerer

Barbarian

O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O
Originally Posted by Madscientist
In the underdark, near the selune temple ( but I could only walk there from the beach) are petrified drow.

There are 2 locations at the temple you can jump to access this area without running all around the UD.

If you are inside the temple facing the gate out there are stairs on the left and right that lead to landings overlooking the entrance stairs(the landings the gatehouse ladders are on that lead up on top of the gatehouse). The left hand side landing has 1 of the petrified drow just below it. You can jump from the landing down to that drow(though it will cause you to go prone).

You can also jump from the stairs outside the gate to the brazier and follow that around the landing to where that drow is.

Myself I left my party up on the landing overlooking the closest drow and had my MC only jump down. Then I took him over to check things out and popped the Spectator. I immediately ran him back to the drow beside the landing and kept him there. The Spectator starting freeing all the trapped drow and they all started fighting. I left my toons over at the temple using ranged attacks on anything that came close enough till the drow won(2 were left standing but wounded) then finished them off np.

P
stranger
stranger
P
If you can get the Drow to fight the spectator it’s not so bad.

That’s how I won the encounter. The freed Drow ended up fighting both my party and the spectator. Spectator went down relatively quickly when Lae’zel caught up with and starting attacking him.

Tbh the Drow provided a greater challenge than the spectator; one of them actually shoved my MC over the ledge to the area below, and she had to fight on her own for a bit. If you can get the Drow off of you it will be doable.

Last edited by PraiseThanos; 27/11/20 11:56 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
The first time through I just strong armed my way through. Many restarts.

The second run, since I knew where it was going to pop up, I threw a Fog Cloud where it would pop up and it was easy pickin's. I replayed it again and let it revive a Drow or two, threw the cloud, it got out eventually, but I cast again and it was too blind to see.

Restarted again to try without Fog Cloud and managed to keep Lae'Zel close with the two handed Sussur sword and she pretty well made short order of him. It was only able to revive about three Drow, which my other characters handled quite efficiently. Meta knowledge is a wonderful super power.

Joe

PS, interestingly the AI was more interested in taking out my Wizard and Astarion rather than Lae'Zel, who was womping it's butt, so she rarely got hurt.

Last edited by jfutral; 28/11/20 05:10 PM.
P
stranger
stranger
P
Originally Posted by jfutral
The first time through I just strong armed my way through. Many restarts.

The second run, since I knew where it was going to pop up, I threw a Fog Cloud where it would pop up and it was easy pickin's. I replayed it again and let it revive a Drow or two, threw the cloud, it got out eventually, but I cast again and it was too blind to see.

Restarted again to try without Fog Cloud and managed to keep Lae'Zel close with the two handed Sussur sword and she pretty well made short order of him. It was only able to revive about three Drow, which my other characters handled quite efficiently. Meta knowledge is a wonderful super power.

Joe

PS, interestingly the AI was more interested in taking out my Wizard and Astarion rather than Lae'Zel, who was womping it's butt, so she rarely got hurt.

I think the AI by default targets the lowest AC characters first

At least that’s how it is in my experience. When I fought the Githyanki patrol for example, poor gale only let off one spell before being downed, and I even left him on the bridge above.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard