Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
OP Offline
E
Disclaimer: I'm translating from another language and would try to give you the correct information. For now, I will translate only partially and would give a short, cropped version (there were a lot of clarification questions). I've taken some personal time of this artist during his well-deserved holiday to get those answers and very grateful for the offered information. The tone may seem dry - no, it's just my editing.

"We based our work on D&D canon, 5 edition; we had believable and realistic armor as a basis, but with a fantasy bias."

"I'm using relatively somber color pallete; not everything I have done is open to publication. After the concept art is done, it can be changed noticeably, as it was done with githyanki armor. Coloring, saturation, many things may change in the process.
Yes, this gith I've done is not a generic gith character."

"I do not know for certain about customized armor coloring in the future, but I think it's possible."

"We are working a lot of time as a team, and I'm basing my work on team feedback; there is a lot of knowledgeable folks in it. I really have no time to check for the feedback from the players now".

"If some art detail looks not good enough, we are working until it is good enough. The difficulty has no impact here - it would be done. How do we know the art isn't good enough and who calls the shots? I wouldn't say exactly, but everyone on the team may raise an issue".

"The most important part in armor concept is expressiveness, memorability; we are not going for historical authenticity, but I rely a lot on the museum parts, combining them with my own fantasy and trying to produce interesting forms".

So, I think we can stop calling for More Revealing and et cetera; the art team is hard at work already and they really would not even know our wishes. Well, unless someone from public relations would give us the tools to express our opinions clearly and with a result (forum polls? something else?).

veteran
veteran
where did you get this from? did you ask him directly?

provided it's legit, I suppose it's fine. there are many problems with the art design, some of it has to do with the implementation in game (gith armor for male looking terrible) and some of it with the art itself (the idea to design a druid outfit like a uniform is stupid imo. and of course, designing Shadowheart's outfit with a giant symbol of Shar in the middle is another silly idea that spoils the story)

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
addict
addict
Cite your work. Gonna need some sources here. D- until then.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by Abits
where did you get this from? did you ask him directly?

provided it's legit, I suppose it's fine. there are many problems with the art design, some of it has to do with the implementation in game (gith armor for male looking terrible) and some of it with the art itself (the idea to design a druid outfit like a uniform is stupid imo. and of course, designing Shadowheart's outfit with a giant symbol of Shar in the middle is another silly idea that spoils the story)

Yes I did. And in order to hear our feedback like the one you've provided ( I agree about that armor looking bad on male characters and SH outfit, didn't notice druid uniform, would check) -> see the original post. We are talking to each other for now, mostly.

E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
Cite your work. Gonna need some sources here. D- until then.

Please don't say to people what they should do, and you won't be sent on a long adventure far, far away from the land of courtesy.

I guess a Borat thong for Astarion is out of the question then frown

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ellenhard
"The most important part in armor concept is expressiveness, memorability; we are not going for historical authenticity, but I rely a lot on the museum parts, combining them with my own fantasy and trying to produce interesting forms".

Hm. I'm not calling for "historical" accuracy, since Faerun isn't Earth, and I'm certainly not opposed to armors looking cool and thematic, but I'd like them to at least make sense in the world. So they don't look like ridiculously over-the-top cosplay pieces, but something that could realistically function as an armor.

veteran
veteran
Agreed. Historical accuracy doesn't apply in the realms but I don't want cosply / manga armor. I like the gith armor but some of the armor released by the dataminers made me think of the immersion breaking silliness of DOS.

Although I do agree that a Borat thong should be in the final. That's a given.

E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Disclaimer: I'm translating from another language and would try to give you the correct information. For now, I will translate only partially and would give a short, cropped version (there were a lot of clarification questions). I've taken some personal time of this artist during his well-deserved holiday to get those answers and very grateful for the offered information. The tone may seem dry - no, it's just my editing.

"We based our work on D&D canon, 5 edition; we had believable and realistic armor as a basis, but with a fantasy bias."

"I'm using relatively somber color pallete; not everything I have done is open to publication. After the concept art is done, it can be changed noticeably, as it was done with githyanki armor. Coloring, saturation, many things may change in the process.
Yes, this gith I've done is not a generic gith character."

"I do not know for certain about customized armor coloring in the future, but I think it's possible."

"We are working a lot of time as a team, and I'm basing my work on team feedback; there is a lot of knowledgeable folks in it. I really have no time to check for the feedback from the players now".

"If some art detail looks not good enough, we are working until it is good enough. The difficulty has no impact here - it would be done. How do we know the art isn't good enough and who calls the shots? I wouldn't say exactly, but everyone on the team may raise an issue".

So, I think we can stop calling for More Revealing and et cetera; the art team is hard at work already and they really would not even know our wishes. Well, unless someone from public relations would give us the tools to express our opinions clearly and with a result (forum polls? something else?).

source ?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
addict
addict
And now a little bit of information about the artist himself: he refers to himself as freelancer artist here https://www.artstation.com/ikostya. Yes, looks like Larian hired him to do some work. But what made you think that he would be ever involved in direct processing of players feedback, when his task is to draw pictures?

E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by Zellin
And now a little bit of information about the artist himself: he refers to himself as freelancer artist here https://www.artstation.com/ikostya. Yes, looks like Larian hired him to do some work. But what made you think that he would be ever involved in direct processing of players feedback, when his task is to draw pictures?

Because it would be nice if they knew what people around think about their work and art direction. If the subject is brought up in a friendly manner.
I agree with the position of Uncle Lester and KillerRabbit, and posted here before almost the same words; it sat in my head, so I found whoever could be reached and asked questions.

As can be seen from the link you've provided, this artist did believable, realistic-looking clothing and armor and he understands what they are doing now instead. So it's the matter of art direction.

addict
addict
Still waiting on that source.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

addict
addict

Because it would be nice if they knew what people around think about their work and art direction. If the subject is brought up in a friendly manner.
I agree with the position of Uncle Lester and KillerRabbit, and posted here before almost the same words; it sat in my head, so I found whoever could be reached and asked questions.

As can be seen from the link you've provided, this artist did believable, realistic-looking clothing and armor and he understands what they are doing now instead. So it's the matter of art direction.

Seems you totally misunderstood what I'm talking about. Taking your first post you asked the wrong person, wrong question and then came up with such wrong conclusion:

Artists in such big projects nearly never read forums with feedback themselves. Temporarily hired freelancers especially.

Last edited by Zellin; 23/11/20 04:13 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
Still waiting on that source.

I can confirm that judging by the artist pages he is really working on BG3 now. But leading you to those pages won't help unless you know russian.
If the OP really talked to him or not is fully on the OP.

E
OP Offline
E

Seems you totally misunderstood what I'm talking about. Taking your first post you asked the wrong person, wrong question and then came up with such wrong conclusion:

Artists in such big projects nearly never read forums with feedback themselves. Temporarily hired freelancers especially.

It is quite possible that I've misunderstood you; as I've said, I asked questions based on the shared view of some, being concerned with the current look of equipment (both in EA openly and datamined).

I've shared the answers trying to be as precise as possible without subverting the artist's own words, which aren't a direct answer to my question, but they have explained to me "how it is going to be".
What other people make of it - is up to you all, really. Maybe my conclusion is wrong, we shall see. I'm hoping that you would understand me now, though. The question for me wasn't "is he/they reading and reacting" - that was an answer to other posts in the forum. Personally, I needed to understand a deeper question "do they understand that beautiful, stylish milanese and gothic full armor were being designed by people whose life (and work) depended on the result, and there was absolutely no need to go creative unless it made sense for the intended result, and that patchwork armor is actually weaker at the joint points then realistic examples"; (some types of parade armor is very flamboyant indeed, but differently from what we see in-game). I've received my answer (crudely explaining - I am not mad thinking of this and yes, he understands everything, but this is their chosen art direction, and yes, they are trying not to keep a tunnel vision) and satisfied with it.

As for your original question to me - I wasn't thinking of that when asking questions.
If (when) the article (in Russian) will come out, maybe there you will get more info.

Last edited by Ellenhard; 23/11/20 05:40 PM.
addict
addict
Hmm, I read an interview with him. But there is many common questions and many common answers... I don't think he talked about armor design at all, lol.
https://dtf.ru/gamedev/263930-glavn...-s-koncept-hudozhnikom-baldur-s-gate-iii

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard