Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#737679 22/11/20 12:54 AM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Surely that topic has been discussed here and there but i think it deserves an own thread.

I do understand that the origin system requires the tadpole problem as an common motivation for the party to find together, but since there are so many awesome characters with companion potential in the game i have to ask:
Does every companion have to be an playable origin character ?
It would add so much to the game if for example Halsin, Minthara or Anders could become permanent companions with their own motivations.

I dont need them as a potential Main Character with some Origin Integration..but limiting the party to the tadpole crew kinda seems like lost potencial to me.
It would also give you more variety to make your own party without hiring nameless mercenaries, which was practical in DOS II but i dont think many people really enjoy travelling with empty characters.

old hand
old hand
I would love it if Halsin joined the party.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Maldurin
It would add so much to the game if for example Halsin, Minthara or Anders could become permanent companions with their own motivations.

I dont need them as a potential Main Character with some Origin Integration..but limiting the party to the tadpole crew kinda seems like lost potencial to me.

I too really hope we can have non-Origins, non-tadpoled companions. It's cool to move away from "godspawn topic-of-prophecy PC surrounded by allies met on the way". It's sad if it ends up being the extreme opposite, "everyone is VIP : no tadpole, no joining".

The list of non-tadpoled companions could include :
- The bard Alfira (+++)
- The druid Halsin (+++)
- Minthara (+++)
- Sazza
- Gandrel (a Ranger ?)
- Someone from the Lia-Rolan-Cal group (or another tiefling that looks fighter-like, basically, they look like they have a couple of people who could hold their own)

Sazza added..
Nettie added..
Deep Gnome guy added..

Still better than these origin characters, hell Nettie tried to kill me and i still like her more than Astarion or Lae'zel.

Last edited by DanteYoda; 22/11/20 08:05 AM.
veteran
veteran
They said before they are considering it at the very least. I also prefer non-origin companions

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by DanteYoda
Sazza added..
Nettie added..
Deep Gnome guy added..

Still better than these origin characters, hell Nettie tried to kill me and i still like her more than Astarion or Lae'zel.

Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
Originally Posted by Maldurin

I too really hope we can have non-Origins, non-tadpoled companions. It's cool to move away from "godspawn topic-of-prophecy PC surrounded by allies met on the way". It's sad if it ends up being the extreme opposite, "everyone is VIP : no tadpole, no joining".

The list of non-tadpoled companions could include :
- The bard Alfira (+++)
- The druid Halsin (+++)
- Minthara (+++)
- Sazza
- Gandrel (a Ranger ?)
- Someone from the Lia-Rolan-Cal group (or another tiefling that looks fighter-like, basically, they look like they have a couple of people who could hold their own)

Do not forget about Paladin Anders, i see a lot of potential in this character and his story

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Abits
They said before they are considering it at the very least. I also prefer non-origin companions

Oh ? I missed that (I think). Where was it ? And where do they "say things", if they have any regular/semi-official other channel of communication ? I only know of the community updates.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn

Oh ? I missed that (I think). Where was it ? And where do they "say things", if they have any regular/semi-official other channel of communication ? I only know of the community updates.

Mostly interviews with sven/ occasional comments on this forum.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
N
old hand
old hand
N
I am pretty sure there will be two types of companions, the tadpole origin characters and the non-origin non-tadpole ones.

Because if they said you need to commit with the companions you selected in act 1, they didn't say you won't meet new companions afterwards. And I think Minsc, for example, will come later and you won't be able to choose him as your main character.

Last edited by Nyanko; 22/11/20 10:38 AM.
I
old hand
old hand
I

"We are considering it" means "We won't do it and hope that you will eventually forget that you asked".

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Ixal

"We are considering it" means "We won't do it and hope that you will eventually forget that you asked".

It does not

enthusiast
enthusiast
I can see Haslin, Minthara, Kahga, Alfira, and maybe Mizora for scripted fights in a Malady/Jahan style. I heard Nightsong could be a follower too in a capacity similar to Haslin depending on your choices. I wonder though, does non origin companion mean actual party members or is it just a camp follower and maybe a scripted battle or two.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
[/quote] I wonder though, does non origin companion mean actual party members or is it just a camp follower and maybe a scripted battle or two. [/quote]

I was referring to actual party members smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah I understand you lol. I hope Larian is on the same page too.

veteran
veteran
I hope they add nonorigin companions. I would like Halsin to be a companion and also would like to have more companions in general.

addict
addict
I've commented on it many times, so as to not repeat myself too much: I very much agree we need non-origin companions, and quite a lot of them. 8 companions is just not enough to choose from in a Baldur's Gate game.

veteran
veteran
A non-playable no-tadpole companions is something I would have a great interest in, but I think it would put the entire origin concept into question - mostly, how would it work in coop. I think it is safe to say, that origin system’s biggest advantage is for coop companions being able to join you at any moment and take control of your companions. Would they still allow for that for non-tadpole companions? If those companions have added content to make them playable, why not make them origins? Don’t they need a wide range of playable origins to choose from, before entertaining an idea of non-tadpole companions?

And as Minsc is confirmed - what will be his role? Companion? Follower? Quest NPC?

Killing “spare” companions would be in line with D:OS2 formula.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Wormerine
A non-playable no-tadpole companions is something I would have a great interest in, but I think it would put the entire origin concept into question - mostly, how would it work in coop. I think it is safe to say, that origin system’s biggest advantage is for coop companions being able to join you at any moment and take control of your companions. Would they still allow for that for non-tadpole companions? If those companions have added content to make them playable, why not make them origins? Don’t they need a wide range of playable origins to choose from, before entertaining an idea of non-tadpole companions?

And as Minsc is confirmed - what will be his role? Companion? Follower? Quest NPC?

Yes - the problem with non-tadpole party members is how would they be treated in dialogue. There are some conversations, such as the goblin priestess, that would require completely different player and NPC dialogue for a tadpoleless character.

And Minsc is confirmed as a companion and origin character. Data miners have already found Minsc specific dialogue choices in the game for when the player is playing as Minsc.

addict
addict
Guys, please hide spoilers, especially datamined.

Not a fan of him being an origin, tbh. I was hoping he'd be a temporary quest companion.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by Wormerine

Yes - the problem with non-tadpole party members is how would they be treated in dialogue. There are some conversations, such as the goblin priestess, that would require completely different player and NPC dialogue for a tadpoleless character.

That wouldnt be the problem if these characters were just companions and not playable as Main character, wouldnt it ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard