Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
stranger
stranger
D
I recall the Ending of Mask of the Betrayer where literally all of your companions might turn against you in the City of the Dead...

Dragon Age Origins: The Golem would turn on you if you take here to the anvil of souls...

Banned
OP Offline
Banned
Hahahahaha, man I did not knew this topic would explode so much! grin

I bet most of these posts are not even over Shadowheart anymore.
Not that they need to be. This is more like a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point.

Once again proofen that people enjoy themself some drama. ^^

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Originally Posted by Abits
Isn't Chris Avellone part of the writing team on that game? You know one of the writers/founders of Obsidian that got pushed off to the side during Pillars of Eternity. I remember him saying that Pillars of Eternity was taken in a different direction with the writing focusing more on side quests / companions than the main plot.

oh here we go:
Interesting. I just wrote somewhere else in the forum I prefer Obsidian's stories as opposed to their characters

Hadn't seen that video before. It's kinda of amazing how his views are the mirror opposite of mine. PoE1 story was fantastic where the PoE2 story was weaksauce. How anyone could think that PoE2 had a better story is beyond me. (only talking about story combat and design are clearly better) And we won't learn from that video because he doesn't actually give any reasons for his opinion and instead relies upon unsupported statements like "weaknesses in the story" (liiiike? for example?)

I hate when people just assert that there are problems with writing backing it up with anything concrete. It's a negative for clicks strategy that relies upon group dynamics instead of evidence.

Now he is right that the Avellone characters are the best ones in the game. Sagani and bird paladin were forgettable characters.

I didn't know Avellone had left but I think someone like Avellone is someone who would need to be balanced and not put as lead. His stories are amazing but they don't have replay value. More of "that was great! now to free up space on the hard drive . . ."

I actually overlooked this comment cause it quoted the wrong person. If your looking for info about Chris's opinion, its better to just youtube interviews. That vid was a easy overview for the subject I was replying to.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
His stories are amazing but they don't have replay value.

I'd take good story over replayability any day. I'm more likely to replay a title because it's just that good than to replay it because it introduced "features intended to make the game more replayable". The most important factor for me is "did I like the game a lot?".

This. I'll replay Planescape: Torment 20 more times in my life, but not because it has much traditional "replay value".

Originally Posted by Verte
I will replay some games for the story (need a break in between sessions tho) and to get different outcomes. But also I will replay games where combat is fun and challengeable. Won't lock myself in the category 'story or gtfo'.

Originally Posted by Sharp
The story in most RPGs don't tick my good story boxes, so I settle for games with engaging combat. There are a few (Tyranny is a good example) that I have enjoyed the premise of the story in, but most of them fall very far short.

I replay Baldur's Gate II every so often for many of the same reasons I rewatch the Star Wars movies, not because there are a lot of different endings to find, but because I'm enamored with the characters, the setting and the story, linear or not.
I never finished a replay of Pillars of Eternity because after playing through it once it was pretty obvious what exactly all the other paths would do and what wasn't apparent was uninteresting.

Last edited by Sozz; 23/11/20 10:02 PM.
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard