Next Thread
Print Thread
E
addict
OP Offline
addict
E
Hello all,

First time poster, been lurking in the forums for a couple of weeks since downloading BG3.

It's been interesting to observe the manifold opinions here on the current state of BG3 and how the legacy of the first two BG games casts a long shadow on the development of the current game.
I will never forget the first time I played BG1 over 20 years ago; my initial impressions were that the graphics were a bit underwhelming but half an hour later I was seduced into this grand adventure where I could more or less go where I pleased. It seemed to create a tangible sense of (apparently) humble beginnings leading to intrigue and adventure. Thus far the intro to BG3 seems lacking in this respect and feels like there is too much too soon ie. romances, travelling to the Underdark?

So, onto some thoughts:

-Does anyone know the likelihood of there being something along the lines of the Stronghold mechanic from BG2? Personally I really enjoyed this element to the game and the fact that each class could unlock one added to replayability.

-One of the biggest immersion breakers I have found so far is the Camp mechanic. The concept of travelling deep in the Underdark and then walking all the way back to base camp just strikes me as daft? I much preferred when you had to find somewhere safe to rest at your current location, with the inherent dangers that potentially involved. I understand there is not a tavern in Act 1 for non-active members of the party to stay at but nevertheless there must be a more suitable way?

-A small complaint but the narrator’s voice distinctly reminds me of the kind of sultry female voice you’d get on a chocolate bar/food advert. Is it too sexy? I think a voice over with a little more age, wisdom and gravitas would be better…but again this is a personal preference.

-Regarding Early Access, is there any indication of just how much more content will be drip fed before final release?

By and large I have enjoyed the dozens of hours I have put into Early Access but still feel there is a long way to go. A lot of my concerns about character customisation, waystone portals, party size, day/night/weather cycle, party control, action bar, all classes being able to use lockpicks, scrolls, etc. have been addressed in other threads so I do not wish to resurrect those here.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Etruscan

-A small complaint but the narrator’s voice distinctly reminds me of the kind of sultry female voice you’d get on a chocolate bar/food advert. Is it too sexy? I think a voice over with a little more age, wisdom and gravitas would be better…but again this is a personal preference.

I love having Malady's voice actor as the narrator.
I'm thankful that there's a 0% chance that this would change.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

E
addict
OP Offline
addict
E
Originally Posted by Tzelanit

I love having Malady's voice actor as the narrator.
I'm thankful that there's a 0% chance that this would change.

The world would be a dull place if we all liked the same thing. For your sake I am happy, the voice is not a deal breaker for me but I do find it irritating at times. It's something I can learn to live with.

addict
addict

I hate "sultry", but it hasn't made that impression on me? I know some people are saying this about the narrator, but for me it's just... "storyteller" narrator lady I found fitting for the game.

-Regarding Early Access, is there any indication of just how much more content will be drip fed before final release?

We're supposed to get more classes, races, companions and "features". Afaik, no more story (just Act 1). Hopefully all the stuff people are discussing will be considered and at least some of it implemented... you've made a good list yourself.

E
addict
OP Offline
addict
E
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester

I hate "sultry", but it hasn't made that impression on me? I know some people are saying this about the narrator, but for me it's just... "storyteller" narrator lady I found fitting for the game.

We're supposed to get more classes, races, companions and "features". Afaik, no more story (just Act 1). Hopefully all the stuff people are discussing will be considered and at least some of it implemented... you've made a good list yourself.

Thank you for your reply and info. I'm sort of hesitant to play EA too much in case I get bored of it by the time the game finally comes round but I'm also keen to try any additional classes and races.

addict
addict
We know we're going to get all the PHB classes (probably not all PHB subclasses), but afaik no info has been given on races. Very curious about those.

I'm actually not an EA player; I plan on waiting until 1.0, though I might break earlier. wink

L
stranger
stranger
L
wanted to add thoughts and issues about what I have played so far.

completed maybe 80% of game and getting to current "ending". I say the % because on next run through i found some things I had missed or for some reason didn't find the 1st go around. as familiarity with game improves so to does finding/figuring things out.

will try to group things, but most are general observations or notable things in the game.
profiles don't seem to be working quite as well. I have to change the keybinds every time i load the game. along with that, some of the keybinds i find don't have a natural feel from other games. it seems an odd mix of Diablo 3 & WoW for various keybinds. along with the camera. click to move (which is Diablo), but the freedom to move the camera off of character (which is more Heroes of the Storm similarity), but able to spin camera or move it around to kinda scope out area ahead like in WoW or others games. really prefer WASD or thumb stick control movement. but making adjustments. click and hold to move is a bit off. since one actually has to move the mouse instead of just click and hold and adjust camera to run where needed.
Prologue - enjoyable, not completely the best walk through in getting used to controls/interface. also, would be great to have an option to "skip" with new character creation (at least to the beach area). after a couple play throughs (single & co-op) it is 30-40 min and if game gets stuck or death (without save) the rerun is tedious. on a note about saving - auto save would be nice if it had a timer. instead of at "pivotal" points in game. easy to get caught up and forget to save.
gameplay - i can't express how much I enjoy the use of terrain in this game. pushing enemies off of hills, builidings, etc is a freaking joy! How #'s are adjusted for higher/lower ground. sometimes it feels a little off, but there are probably variables i am not aware of (AC, spells, etc). sneaking is fun as well and enjoy it (especially with multiplayer, only having to control 1 toon and not 4).
during combat when things have shared initiative, there are times it will skip everyone, even when they haven't done anything yet instead of going to each one individually. frustrating.
like how race plays a factor in dialog and responses. imagine that will continue to get flushed out as it is developed.
some details on the map or being able to mark the map would be nice. while quests are on there or known points of interest some of the zooming or scrolling feels wonky. or doesn't always line up. might have to look into settings for map and mini map to make sure they line up.
under dark encounter feels like it needs adjusted if main character is a drow.
barter/trade system/interface needs work. which to use (barter is default). listing value of item and not receiving that when entering or getting just gold in return and accidently giving vendor item for free is very frustrating. while i understand items may not be worth the same from vendor to vendor, they seem to adjust depending on what you are trading/barting for. and if you take it out and put it in it changes. very strange. not sure if there is a "skill" check - IE Charisma based, but for EA some of the magic items seem way over priced for the amount of items one can pickup and carry and have very little value compared to that 1 item.
will try to make better notes of issues that i find or when things don't work as they should or bug out.

E
addict
OP Offline
addict
E
Originally Posted by LepraKhaaan
wanted to add thoughts and issues about what I have played so far.

completed maybe 80% of game and getting to current "ending". I say the % because on next run through i found some things I had missed or for some reason didn't find the 1st go around. as familiarity with game improves so to does finding/figuring things out.

will try to group things, but most are general observations or notable things in the game.
profiles don't seem to be working quite as well. I have to change the keybinds every time i load the game. along with that, some of the keybinds i find don't have a natural feel from other games. it seems an odd mix of Diablo 3 & WoW for various keybinds. along with the camera. click to move (which is Diablo), but the freedom to move the camera off of character (which is more Heroes of the Storm similarity), but able to spin camera or move it around to kinda scope out area ahead like in WoW or others games. really prefer WASD or thumb stick control movement. but making adjustments. click and hold to move is a bit off. since one actually has to move the mouse instead of just click and hold and adjust camera to run where needed.
Prologue - enjoyable, not completely the best walk through in getting used to controls/interface. also, would be great to have an option to "skip" with new character creation (at least to the beach area). after a couple play throughs (single & co-op) it is 30-40 min and if game gets stuck or death (without save) the rerun is tedious. on a note about saving - auto save would be nice if it had a timer. instead of at "pivotal" points in game. easy to get caught up and forget to save.
gameplay - i can't express how much I enjoy the use of terrain in this game. pushing enemies off of hills, builidings, etc is a freaking joy! How #'s are adjusted for higher/lower ground. sometimes it feels a little off, but there are probably variables i am not aware of (AC, spells, etc). sneaking is fun as well and enjoy it (especially with multiplayer, only having to control 1 toon and not 4).
during combat when things have shared initiative, there are times it will skip everyone, even when they haven't done anything yet instead of going to each one individually. frustrating.
like how race plays a factor in dialog and responses. imagine that will continue to get flushed out as it is developed.
some details on the map or being able to mark the map would be nice. while quests are on there or known points of interest some of the zooming or scrolling feels wonky. or doesn't always line up. might have to look into settings for map and mini map to make sure they line up.
under dark encounter feels like it needs adjusted if main character is a drow.
barter/trade system/interface needs work. which to use (barter is default). listing value of item and not receiving that when entering or getting just gold in return and accidently giving vendor item for free is very frustrating. while i understand items may not be worth the same from vendor to vendor, they seem to adjust depending on what you are trading/barting for. and if you take it out and put it in it changes. very strange. not sure if there is a "skill" check - IE Charisma based, but for EA some of the magic items seem way over priced for the amount of items one can pickup and carry and have very little value compared to that 1 item.
will try to make better notes of issues that i find or when things don't work as they should or bug out.

I agree with these points and have found similar frustrations. There is still a long way to go but I am hopeful the game will come good!

B
B
I don't really agree with most of the points in the OP; one of the main complaints about the first BG has always been how huge but empty the game world was. If anything, they should be taking inspiration from BG2 instead (with the exception of its opening dungeon, which many dislike, especially on repeated playthroughs).

I do agree with the camp thing if it involves you literally walking back to the same sort of place every time (haven't gotten to the Underdark yet). It should be adapted to your current environment, if you're in the Underdark you should camp in some sort of cave. Even if it doesn't make a difference mechanically, it's important atmosphere-wise.

Banned
Banned

-One of the biggest immersion breakers I have found so far is the Camp mechanic. The concept of travelling deep in the Underdark and then walking all the way back to base camp just strikes me as daft?

Oh yes, 100% true. But I think this is just an EarlyAccess issue.
No way this will stay in a game having such a high focus on immersion.

E
addict
OP Offline
addict
E
Originally Posted by Bittereinder
I don't really agree with most of the points in the OP; one of the main complaints about the first BG has always been how huge but empty the game world was. If anything, they should be taking inspiration from BG2 instead (with the exception of its opening dungeon, which many dislike, especially on repeated playthroughs).

I do agree with the camp thing if it involves you literally walking back to the same sort of place every time (haven't gotten to the Underdark yet). It should be adapted to your current environment, if you're in the Underdark you should camp in some sort of cave. Even if it doesn't make a difference mechanically, it's important atmosphere-wise.

I can see your point, yes BG2 was a more streamlined experience and would represent a better template for BG3 to follow. I do recall quite enjoying the more open world of BG1 and the opportunity to discover random things, even if they were beyond my party's means to tackle at that time.

With regard to the dungeon/prologue in BG2, I concur and ideally there would be the option to forego the prologue in BG3.

Another thing I am hoping for are some more 'normal' companions in the final release; so far, we have a vampire elf, a human who has made a pact with a devil, a mage who requires being fed with magical items, apparently a werewolf too (according to datamining). I think this and a few other issues fall under the remit of things (speedy romances, dangerous locations, etc.) could use being toned down a little or paced better? I appreciate this is just a personal preference, I'm sure others will disagree.

Last edited by Etruscan; 25/11/20 04:48 PM.
B
B
I liked the first BG's open world quite a lot when I played it, but I would have to agree with the nay-sayers that were many maps that were basically empty, save for a single encounter/item. If they go for a more open world feel, it should follow BG2, with many discrete maps that are each packed full of content.

I can see your point about the companions. If I remember correctly, Larian deliberately frontloaded the evil/unpleasant companions, so they'd get more feedback about those (75+% of the playerbase apparently prefers good playthroughs). I can agree that the game could use more Imoen-type companions who are just happy to be there and loyal to you personally. They will definitely come later, but Larian needs to be careful about not scaring away the players who have just started the game for the first time.

Link Copied to Clipboard