Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by urktheturtle

Like every single companion character is caught between two masters, and has some other superflous magical mutation.

Kinda true. Everybody has strong "Mary Sue" potential indeed.

Astarion = A slave to Cazador
Lae'zel = A slave to disrespect
Sassy = Probably some Asumar qualitys and a Slave to sass & Amnesia
Wynn = Bound by contract to a booty Devil
Gale = A slave to his affliction

Not a single mere Baker from BaldursGate among us. wink
But tbh it would feel kinda wierd if a complete average Joe would have escaped the Nautiloid and Avernus.
With enough luck (?), yes of course. But this was not a gentle flight.

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
That's how Larian write things...

The game start in hell with mindflayer and dragons and cambions and you're going to the underdark at level 3 + there's another dragon and every creature is powerful and...

Everything is so sensational that nothing is really sensational anymore.... Whatever we're talking about the story, the visual effects, the surfaces, the combats,....

Well, you have to somehow grab the attention of potential buyers. It's hard to find the balance between a good story and grabbing attention.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Topgoon
Originally Posted by Ixal
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Valid criticism. I would also like more focused storytelling and down to earth characters.

It's like this story throws everything and the kitchen sink at you right from the start. It's so much to take in that the multiple storylines and super interesting characters start eating each other's narrative power. I mentioned earlier I would have postponed the whole vampire story sidequest later in the game when you reach the city, when Astarion could also be a higher level character to reflect his 200 years. Give the city a fresh twist too. The beginning has enough with "just" the mind flayers and the githyanki which is already very exotic in Faerun, Hell and cambions... And the Absolute. Put all the focus on what's going on first.

Shadowhearts "reveal" could have waited until later. Well, it sort of is I guess but her secret isn't exactly a secret when her armor has like 15 symbols of Shar on it.

Gale could have received his condition later during the adventure. Etc.. Not everything needs to happen right away.

All of act I happens over the course of a few days. Less is more.

The problem with that is that as apparently the choice of companions will be locked from Act 2 forward (same like in DOS2) they kinda have to spill the beans early so people know what they would get with each character.

Has this been recently confirmed? The last update I've seen on this was on Kevin Van Ord stream where he mentioned they weren't sure if locking in was a thing. Although that stream appears to be gone now, so I'm not sure if it was pulled down because Larian doesn't want to stand by some of the things he said.

The lock of the party composition is the biggest issue that I have so far. I like my characters to evolve slowly over time. Not everything at once. Also locking means that when you leave Act 1, you know that you will not meet anyone new that would join you... kinda anti immersive because you know beforehand.
Another issue with it is that all that content is forced into the first area/act and what leaves that for the rest? Only content for the three people you take with you smirk

I also loved how I could switch out characters in NWN 2 via the Inn-mechanic. And that game also offered some exciting plot twists for the companions that traveled with you. Even some that lead to them leaving/dying etc. This couldn't happen with a set team.

Depending on where you go first and last would also lead to meeting some companions so late that you couldn't have a chance of getting to know them enough to make any choice.

I hope they overthink this :S

I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Arne

Well, you have to somehow grab the attention of potential buyers. It's hard to find the balance between a good story and grabbing attention.

Most buyers don't know the stories of the individual characters before buying.

stranger
stranger
[quote=Arne]

First time I read about their stories was on the BG3 main page and I couldn't stop laughing. The descriptions are even spiced up for no reason.

Your main character can be whoever you want, no pressure.

Last edited by Aria Athena; 24/11/20 07:59 PM.
E
E
I hope they don't lock the group. It would be disappointing. I'm not sure why they insist so much in the "origins" part.

A
Ari Offline
journeyman
journeyman
A
Based on character backstory and the places we have been, feels more like I am in a group of level 15s to possibly epics.

Whatever happened to killing rats in a basement somewhere? You know, for old times sake.

E
E
The rats would be giantic space rats and bubu's nemesis 😂

Originally Posted by Arne

Yes, but between saving the world, Dragons, Illithids, playing a Tiefling/Drow/Vampire/Githyanki and having lots of beautiful women (Okay, right now that is contestable) there isn't much left to grab attention even more.

T
T
Originally Posted by Amitaya
Originally Posted by Topgoon
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Valid criticism. I would also like more focused storytelling and down to earth characters.

It's like this story throws everything and the kitchen sink at you right from the start. It's so much to take in that the multiple storylines and super interesting characters start eating each other's narrative power. I mentioned earlier I would have postponed the whole vampire story sidequest later in the game when you reach the city, when Astarion could also be a higher level character to reflect his 200 years. Give the city a fresh twist too. The beginning has enough with "just" the mind flayers and the githyanki which is already very exotic in Faerun, Hell and cambions... And the Absolute. Put all the focus on what's going on first.

Shadowhearts "reveal" could have waited until later. Well, it sort of is I guess but her secret isn't exactly a secret when her armor has like 15 symbols of Shar on it.

Gale could have received his condition later during the adventure. Etc.. Not everything needs to happen right away.

All of act I happens over the course of a few days. Less is more.

The problem with that is that as apparently the choice of companions will be locked from Act 2 forward (same like in DOS2) they kinda have to spill the beans early so people know what they would get with each character.

Has this been recently confirmed? The last update I've seen on this was on Kevin Van Ord stream where he mentioned they weren't sure if locking in was a thing. Although that stream appears to be gone now, so I'm not sure if it was pulled down because Larian doesn't want to stand by some of the things he said.

The lock of the party composition is the biggest issue that I have so far. I like my characters to evolve slowly over time. Not everything at once. Also locking means that when you leave Act 1, you know that you will not meet anyone new that would join you... kinda anti immersive because you know beforehand.
Another issue with it is that all that content is forced into the first area/act and what leaves that for the rest? Only content for the three people you take with you smirk

I also loved how I could switch out characters in NWN 2 via the Inn-mechanic. And that game also offered some exciting plot twists for the companions that traveled with you. Even some that lead to them leaving/dying etc. This couldn't happen with a set team.

Depending on where you go first and last would also lead to meeting some companions so late that you couldn't have a chance of getting to know them enough to make any choice.

I hope they overthink this :S

I'm mixed on the locked companions thing but I can understand why they might want to lock them. It makes it easier for them to keep the story focus on those characters and make sure you don't miss their character content. And its easier for them to balance loot around a party of 4 instead of a group that could be any size up to 10?. And I assume there will be some, hopefully, interesting story reason for why/how you end up with a locked group. An idea I'd love to see in a game . . . the companion who dislikes you the most ends up leaving your party and becomes a main enemy that you have to face over the course of the next chapters . . . perhaps becoming the main henchman of the ultimate bad guy.

Originally Posted by JustAnotherBaldu

But tbh it would feel kinda wierd if a complete average Joe would have escaped the Nautiloid and Avernus.
With enough luck (?), yes of course. But this was not a gentle flight.

It looks like the perfect description of the MC ! xD

journeyman
journeyman
Now to figure out what the player characters are slaves to smile

“There is only one thing we say to Death:
Not today.”
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Vamathi
Now to figure out what the player characters are slaves to smile

The player.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3