Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
veteran
veteran
I can't understand why rolling for stats is such a thing to talk about.
Just let the players choose what they like to do...

I HATE point buy because I just can't do what I want and I can't have any 18 even if I choose to go with 6 in another stat (something I can't do...). I totally hate this.

What's the problem in a solo game if my custom character is better than the companions because I choose to roll 23 times ? He would have +1 or +2 in a few modifiers ? And what ?
And what's the problem if I want to play with 18 everywhere ?
And what about rolling once and play with that ?

Just let us choose...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 24/11/20 07:21 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
I'm one of those who strongly prefers rolling. I prefer it because it creates more varied character stats. With point buy, you can't have anything lower than an 8 or anything higher than a15 (before racials) - and that's just plain boring. If you play a lot, then every stat line begins to feel samish... which may explain some of the complaints I've seen from point-buy enthusiasts about 5e character stats always feeling like they're starting in the same place. Of course they do, if you're all using point buy.

Personally, I love having a margin between 3 and 18 per stat. That's a wide bracket, and that makes for interesting dynamics. I *love* having a 5 or a 6 - which I can't do with array or point buy.

I've used versions of point buy that let you buy down as far as 6 (gaining points back on the same scale) and up as far as 16, and I've got less objection to that, but I still prefer to roll, as do literally all of my D&D friends, across 5 games.

I've never 'not rolled well enough' to pull off a character concept; regarldess of what concept I'm running with, rolling lets me do it, because your character is low level - so what they're 'good' at is relative; your best doesn't need to be best in the realm. I've had more problems with putting the strongest two rolls in their strongest attribute, and then being stumped because all of my remaining values are *higher* than I want for the stats that remain. Last time I made a character, I had to ask my DM if I could trade out a 12 for a 7, because otherwise I'd have had no negatives at all.

End of the day, we need the right to chose which derivation method we want to use, because people will continue to have strong options about this... so unless you give us the three main options to pick from, folks are going to be unhappy.

veteran
veteran
Raistlin was invented when someone rolled a six * for constitution on mage -- DM said okay you're going to die and handed him a staff of magi to give him a chance

* Or something equally low

enthusiast
enthusiast
Why would anyone ever want to roll stats for their character. This to me, seems like complete and utter insanity. It seems like time wasting just for the sake of time wasting. It is completely and utterly beyond me. You could achieve exactly the same result, with a point buy system where the user decides how many points they wish to allocate, with a minimum value of 3 and a maximum value of 18 on each stat. You want some varied stat distribution? You can allocate it yourself that way and if you absolutely *have* to have dice rolled stats, take out a d6 and roll it 18 times then use the results to allocate your stats. First 3 get to be strength, next 3 get to be dex, etc. Too slow for you? Open excel and generate 6 integers between 3-18.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Talking about wasting time rerolling... https://www.reddit.com/r/CrownOfThe...od_for_solasta_automated_stat_rerolling/

Free edit (even setting 18 to all six stats) could be an option, an easy way to set difficulty level at least on MC.

S
stranger
stranger
S
If you want to see how DnD tabletop can be implemented as a video game try Solasta EA, they knocked it out of the park. At this stage I have given up on Baldur's Gate as the developers seem to be too lazy to give us anything more than DOS 2.5. I am happy to be proven wrong, but yeah I am just not seeing it.

old hand
old hand
I prefer point buy, anyone like me who has crap rolls for important things can properly customize their character with it. My luck is like this: just now with 4d6 method I get 11,10,7,11,10,8.

Since this is primarily a single player game, it does not matter to me if they add rolling. Someone else wasting an hour of their life for "perfect" stats has no bearing on how I play my game.

old hand
old hand
I think that point buy is much better than rollling, but I do object to the way point buy works in 5th edition. This minimum of 8, maximum of 15 business is terrible. Just give us X points, let us assign them between 3 and 18, everyone can make the character that they envision.

yeah because rolling in bg1/ bg2 was soooooooooo fun(sarcasm)

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by ColumbusOz
Point Buy vs Rolled Stat Response: There is no right or wrong way to generate stats. That should always be table dependent and every group should use the method that works best or is the most fun for them. My critique on point buy for baldur's gate 3 has more to do with the fact that currently that is the only option. I have been playing multiplayer with my tabletop group and they have been disappointed that they don't get to roll stats because they enjoy that part of character creation. And if the person playing baldur's gate 3 wants to roll until they get the "perfect" scores, as long as their group is having fun who cares.

Reactions Reply: Thank you to everyone who has posted their own ideas for solutions to this issue. I have no clue if my idea for QTE is the correct or even a good solution. The other ideas I have seen on here may be far better. I hope Larian takes all the feedback they are getting on this issue and makes some improvements going forward.

Well, 2 sides to every story. As i and several others have mentioned, for single player rolling would be fine.

After looking look at some NPC stat scores i was a bit miffed though. Nothing you can achieve by point distribution.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard