Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Banned
Banned
To be honest, compared to recent games, i was surprised about how well this game runs. Resident Evil 3 and AC:Odyssey sometimes dipped below 60 fps at 2k with a 2070 Super, and i'm pretty sure i didn't have either maxed out. This one never even stuttered at the bandit camp.

Now, if they could reduce the loading times, 'cause save scumming, that'd be great

addict
addict
Originally Posted by gaymer
Viewership has cratered on the game and the negative reviews is getting louder. Larian has to act before month-end with not just an insignificant update about player choice.

It's true because I say it is.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Innateagle
To be honest, compared to recent games, i was surprised about how well this game runs. Resident Evil 3 and AC:Odyssey sometimes dipped below 60 fps at 2k with a 2070 Super, and i'm pretty sure i didn't have either maxed out. This one never even stuttered at the bandit camp.

Now, if they could reduce the loading times, 'cause save scumming, that'd be great

Didn't play AC odyssey but I think resident evil 3 has a much better graphics than bg3.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Abits

Didn't play AC odyssey but I think resident evil 3 has a much better graphics than bg3.

I think he/she was talking about the optimization, not how good the game looks

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Human

I think he/she was talking about the optimization, not how good the game looks

Yeah, that's what i meant. Nowadays a lot of games crap their paints when it comes to optimization. The ACs, Horizon, RE3, RDR. Even Deadfire somehow managed to have issues (for me on a 1080 at the time)

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Optimization and bloat, look at COD over 250gigs, just why?

veteran
veteran
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1086940/view/2894088190702891542

I gues you noticed, but why keep it a secret. laugh

So far it seems like no new content, just adjustment of curent content ... wich is also fine by me. smile
I wonder what will change.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 24/11/20 10:48 PM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
T
T
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1086940/view/2894088190702891542

I gues you noticed, but why keep it a secret. laugh

So far it seems like no new content, just adjustment of curent content ... wich is also fine by me. smile
I wonder what will change.

I would think there will be some significant story changes . . . otherwise it wouldn't break saves. Or rather be worth pissing people off by breaking saves just to make minor adjustments

Last edited by trengilly; 25/11/20 12:31 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Still underwhelmed by the level of communication. Only reason we got that pre patch announcement was because patch is going to break old saves, otherwise I expect we would still be in the dark about next patch.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Wont know until its out but it does seem to imply significant enough changes to the story to brick old saves. Notifying that it'll brick the saves is pretty good communication, saves people time on their rage. Would you like a full walkthrough of the new content before its released?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem
Still underwhelmed by the level of communication. Only reason we got that pre patch announcement was because patch is going to break old saves, otherwise I expect we would still be in the dark about next patch.

This just seems like "i want to be angry, so im angry about whatever you will tell me" ...
You wanted news ... here are news ...

As someone who is waiting for more than half year for some relevant info about Bloodlines 2, i just cant understand how can see this kind of comunication so negatively. But maybe that is bcs i know worse ... there we got at least a whole year delay, we still dont even know release date, we god 13 Developer diaries, from which 3 was talking about fact they need to work from home since covid, and 4th one was about cats that are sabotaging their work from home, we still have no idea how any game mechanic will work, and all people that was hold as main marketing faces (and possible ensurances of quality) was fired this summer ... wich was never comented, or explained ... and since that studio goes on complete raido silence, and we have no idea when or even if anything is happening for last few months. laugh

This game on the other hand is out for month, was delayed only once (if i remember corectly it was for 14 days, August was never promised as sure date, so i dont count that, but if you wish there is two delays for month and half toghether) ... and you allready get 10 comunity updates, 4 hotfixes, and now first bigger alterning patch. :-/
Some people will just never be satisfied. -_-

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 25/11/20 04:51 AM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
acatlas Offline OP
OP Offline
Its nice to get news...hopefully it will be more than just cinimatics and bug fixes however if its not really adding anything just making things more fluid its not going to be a anything to be excited over it will litterly do nothing. The thing that is making it stale is there isnt enough to stop you from being like i already did this 7 different ways yawn. It has to have fleshed out content. More npc's origins characters, new classes to play with an extra level or 2. New gear something to get excited over. If they just added like say 20 paragon levels in diablo 3 for example no one would get excited. Of they added 1 extra cinimatic no one would care. There has to be something expanding on the current game play. Typically DLC / Major Content patches to games are every 3 months but with the amount of content the game has to add the current content isnt sufficient to keep you interested after 7-8 play throughs you dont have anything you have not seen.

veteran
veteran
People can do that, or.... you know... wait for the full game... I really struggle and still can't understand why do you think they have to add more content. If your reasons were "they need to put it to the test" I would say fine, but "people losing interest" is stupid. People will gain a new interest when the game will be released.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
addict
addict
Originally Posted by acatlas
Its nice to get news...hopefully it will be more than just cinimatics and bug fixes however if its not really adding anything just making things more fluid its not going to be a anything to be excited over it will litterly do nothing. The thing that is making it stale is there isnt enough to stop you from being like i already did this 7 different ways yawn. It has to have fleshed out content. More npc's origins characters, new classes to play with an extra level or 2. New gear something to get excited over. If they just added like say 20 paragon levels in diablo 3 for example no one would get excited. Of they added 1 extra cinimatic no one would care. There has to be something expanding on the current game play. Typically DLC / Major Content patches to games are every 3 months but with the amount of content the game has to add the current content isnt sufficient to keep you interested after 7-8 play throughs you dont have anything you have not seen.

But I really don't see the stress of keeping it relevent with new content all the time. I can understand why streamers want more to work with every day but this is an ea. emphasis on early. We got to try out act 1 and get the general idea of the story and core mechanics. Now is the time to gather feedback and rework the mechanics that people didnt like. Not showcase new content just to keep the hype up. That's atleast my opinion and this game is something that I from the very start saw as something I will be coming back to several times throughout the whole ea, not playing it every day until final release. Still, it will be exciting to see what they have changed so far smile

addict
addict
People can do that, or.... you know... wait for the full game... I really struggle and still can't understand why do you think they have to add more content. If your reasons were "they need to put it to the test" I would say fine, but "people losing interest" is stupid. People will gain a new interest when the game will be released.

+1

addict
addict
Also, Larian has so much work to do on the fundamentals (UI, controls, writing of Act 1, game mechanisms, etc) that I don't see much value for them in releasing more content (Acts, races, classes).

People who "need" more content, like streamers, are like journalists who rush to publish an article about the latest big news before verifying it. They have put themselves in that uncomfortable situation.
From the point of view of Larian, they had too many people joining EA already. They'll probably be happy if things calm down a bit, and they'll probably do some communication and marketing again when the game gets close to release. Basically, they're fine.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
Also, Larian has so much work to do on the fundamentals (UI, controls, writing of Act 1, game mechanisms, etc) that I don't see much value for them in releasing more content (Acts, races, classes).

I very much agree that they should prioritize working on the fundamentals, but I think for the most part underlying mechanics and additional classes/races/companions (acts will only come with full release) don't clash. They're likely done by different people and introducing a new race doesn't impact working on the mechanics, imo. And those new things need to be tested as well; we have 6 classes left! And quite a lot of subclasses. And some of them have non-straightforward mechanics. Even if we get one class every two months, it will take a year. That's a lot of testing needed. Another thing is that the sooner those new elements get implemented, the sooner we can test how they work with the revamped systems; that's important too.

E
E
I think this is about change management and communication. As someone pointed out, a roadmap could be helpful. As it would be focussed feedback. For example, they could ask specific questions to us, the testers. Otherwise they risk people thinking that they are ignoring feedback. And while I don't think that is the case, I do think that it is about visibility and expectations.

I mean, if some things are "set in stone", they should be honest and clear about that. If, for example, they meant the game to be played as an origin character, then they shouldn't promise that you could play as a custom character without penalisation, because then, you are setting part of your customers for disappointment. And so on.

Project managrment is hard, project management with so many customers is even harder.

Anyway, I'm curious about the changes.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by EMC_V
I think this is about change management and communication. As someone pointed out, a roadmap could be helpful. As it would be focussed feedback. For example, they could ask specific questions to us, the testers. Otherwise they risk people thinking that they are ignoring feedback. And while I don't think that is the case, I do think that it is about visibility and expectations.

I mean, if some things are "set in stone", they should be honest and clear about that. If, for example, they meant the game to be played as an origin character, then they shouldn't promise that you could play as a custom character without penalisation, because then, you are setting part of your customers for disappointment. And so on.

I think you meant "they shouldn't have promised". Because they did say that playing as a custom character would be possible and interesting (obviously, that's very vague ... I mean they were vague and I don't remember the exact thing they said).

Well agreed otherwise. I'm still writing my feedback, and I keep thinking that it would be somewhat useful to know a tiny bit about where they are standing, so as to not include a number of things (things they don't want to reconsider, things they have already planned to re-work, etc). I feel that, at the moment, it's more work for them to filter the information through the noise in the feedback.

Originally Posted by Uncle Lester
I very much agree that they should prioritize working on the fundamentals, but I think for the most part underlying mechanics and additional classes/races/companions (acts will only come with full release) don't clash. They're likely done by different people and introducing a new race doesn't impact working on the mechanics, imo. And those new things need to be tested as well; we have 6 classes left! And quite a lot of subclasses. And some of them have non-straightforward mechanics. Even if we get one class every two months, it will take a year. That's a lot of testing needed. Another thing is that the sooner those new elements get implemented, the sooner we can test how they work with the revamped systems; that's important too.

There's a lot of truth in that. There's a balance to be found. I'm not sure they have fully figured how to deal with Reactions for instance, and all those similar 5E rules that give a player decision points when it's not their turn (the Diviner mage being just one example that works the same way). And I feel they need to rethink some core aspects of combat. So, at the same time, they'll want to know how combat works to know how to translate a 5E Class into a BG3 Class. At the same time, they'll want to have a first draft of all classes to have a better view of how combat works.

At part of me tends to consider that they probably (hopefully?) started with whatever early graphics and UI they had (stick figures are wholly sufficient), translated all the 5E combat rules and classes, to get an idea of how it feels in video game form, and only then started playing around and homebrewing. Which means they should have a first draft of all classes already. But well, I don't know of video game design works as much as I know about board game design. Anyway.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
I'm not sure they have fully figured how to deal with Reactions for instance, and all those similar 5E rules that give a player decision points when it's not their turn (the Diviner mage being just one example that works the same way). And I feel they need to rethink some core aspects of combat. So, at the same time, they'll want to know how combat works to know how to translate a 5E Class into a BG3 Class. At the same time, they'll want to have a first draft of all classes to have a better view of how combat works.

Good points. I have no idea how they intend to go about reactions (and whether they intend to do anything about them, tbh) and I don't envy them having to think of something. It's a system that's very hard to translate into the video game format. I've seen a good post on reddit on reactions, where the OP explained WHY they're so problematic and what are the problems with different approaches. Yikes. I think the best option would be to optionally be able to script when they trigger, but it's not a perfect solution.

I wonder about the classes, I'm fairly sure they have much more than drafts by this point. But some classes have "probematic" or "labour-intensive" mechanics. I think the initial choice of classes was a mixture of "basic" (Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, Cleric) and something that needs a lot of time testing. Ranger, obviously, because of the rework. Warlock because of... potentially wonky mechanics? Alternative magic system (Pact Magic), pact boons, invocations... Lots of things to go wrong, and I believe we already see some of them not working properly. There's also the matter of companions - we only have those of the implemented classes, though the classes probably took precedence. (I'm curious though, because the class choice seems like it had little wiggle room, yet they've also said they've chosen specifically the "evil" companions, suggesting that it wasn't class-related. Hmm.)

Let's think about the others:

Barbarian: pretty straight-forward; I don't think rage mechanics are particularly difficult to implement. Probably left out because it wasn't a priority.

Bard: Bardic Inspiration has the same problem as reactions. I could see them implemented after they figure out reactions and similar mechanics, as you say.

Druid: wildshape. I could see it as problematic for several reasons. Animations, animal choice approach (all of them? only the ones you've seen in the game?), inventory management, interactions...

Monk: ki. I don't think it's particularly hard to implement, but it's a new magic system to code.

Paladin: smite - similar problem to reactions, but I could see them just going with "you decide beforehand".

Sorcerer: metamagic and sorcery points, two new systems (or one complex system) to develop. Some of metamagic options might more problematic than others.

So if they were to introduce the remaining classes in the order of low- to high-hanging fruit, I'd say it would be: Barbarian, Paladin, Monk, Bard, Sorcerer, Druid. More or less, especially depending on how careful they want to be about "invoked" mechanics like reactions, Bardic Inspiration and smite.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard